Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

PerrineClostermann posted:

Keitaro is immortal, think he'll show up?

That'd be so loving dumb, I'd eat it right up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Keitaro and Naru cameoed in Negima in the tournament if I remember right, and Mei in Negima may be the same Mei who is Naru's sister.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Keitaro is immortal, think he'll show up?

Shinjobi posted:

That'd be so loving dumb, I'd eat it right up.

Allarion posted:

Keitaro and Naru cameoed in Negima in the tournament if I remember right, and Mei in Negima may be the same Mei who is Naru's sister.

I thought it was Naru and Seta showing up at the Festival, or something like that.

But Keitaro showing up as a member of Holder would be so loving amazing of a callback from Akamatsu, that I'd be ecstatic. Cameos from a previous series are a thing that Akamatsu loves to do, aren't they?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The real main thread that's shown up in all 3 series is basically the Shinmei-ryu school which Motoko, Setsuna, and Kuroumaru all learned their sword skills from. Though the AI from AI Love You is supposed to be the basis for how Chachamaru and all the other androids got made too. But yeah, the fact that Keitaro is technically Akamatsu's first immortal always amused me.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Allarion posted:

The real main thread that's shown up in all 3 series is basically the Shinmei-ryu school which Motoko, Setsuna, and Kuroumaru all learned their sword skills from.

Yeah, that's a pretty big link between all three, and I love seeing how they're tired together in that way. We just get more powerful abilities and practitioners out of Shinmei-ryu every time we see it in a new series, though the swordmanship style and technique names stay mostly the same.

quote:

But yeah, the fact that Keitaro is technically Akamatsu's first immortal always amused me.

You and me both. Though having him or a descendant of his and Naru's, or any of of the Hina girls or Haruka and Seta, isn't likely, except maybe something involving Motoko and Shinmei-ryu. But it would be hilariously amazing if they did make a cameo in the background or something.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Allarion posted:

The real main thread that's shown up in all 3 series is basically the Shinmei-ryu school which Motoko, Setsuna, and Kuroumaru all learned their sword skills from. Though the AI from AI Love You is supposed to be the basis for how Chachamaru and all the other androids got made too. But yeah, the fact that Keitaro is technically Akamatsu's first immortal always amused me.

It's been years since I last read Love Hina, like the better part of a decade. How is that Keitaro is immortal?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Because he takes an infinite amount of physical abuse due to slapstick.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

Because he takes an infinite amount of physical abuse due to slapstick.

He has returned from the moon at least like 16 times.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

rizzen posted:

It's been years since I last read Love Hina, like the better part of a decade. How is that Keitaro is immortal?

It's basically his one defining characteristic.

You know how Naru can launch him ten miles with a punch? Yeah, while that started as just a visual gag it was eventually acknowledged in-character. After a point people realized, yeah, Keitaro could probably take a bullet or a laser or something. Later jokes sort of relied on people knowing, yeah, Keitaro could survive this stuff, w/e lol

It's less weird when you realize that apparently all the Akamatsu-verse works are set in the same world.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Keitaro eventually breaks his leg when a gigantic brass bell lands on it. Everyone is stunned that he could possibly get hurt by anything, as he regularly takes incredible abuse none worse for the wear. They literally thought that he would not be incapacitated by a falling, gigantic bell.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
At one point, I forget the details, Keitaro and one of the girls are about to fall out of a hot air balloon, and he observes that he could probably survive it but she couldn't.

It's just the story's own brand of humor, though, there's never any actual explanation given for why he's apparently immortal, it's just something everyone takes in stride.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

I really don't think Touta would care either way. Kid is very open-minded.

Also three.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Bremen posted:

At one point, I forget the details, Keitaro and one of the girls are about to fall out of a hot air balloon, and he observes that he could probably survive it but she couldn't.

It's just the story's own brand of humor, though, there's never any actual explanation given for why he's apparently immortal, it's just something everyone takes in stride.

That makes sense. I was worried that I had completely missed this entire plot point about it.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
The new chapter is out on Crunchyroll. It's nice. :unsmith:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Has shadow guy's name actually been mentioned in previous appearances? Cause if not that's an interesting tidbit.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Rodyle posted:

Has shadow guy's name actually been mentioned in previous appearances? Cause if not that's an interesting tidbit.

I think it has. Pretty sure he introduced himself to Karin when he first fought her way back when she was taking a shower in the slums.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It is refreshing to see a character get over their issues by just saying "You know what, I'm being dumb."

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah the resolution was about as well as could have been realistically hoped

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i guess but i don't really get this "if i'm a girl i can't protect him" thing when this is the sequel to a series where the combatants were like 90% girls.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The point is that train of thought is itself stupid and that Koromaru needs to stop fretting so much and get back in the game.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Inflammatory posted:

i guess but i don't really get this "if i'm a girl i can't protect him" thing when this is the sequel to a series where the combatants were like 90% girls.

well he seems to be less effective as a female do to not being used to it. so at the moment he really couldn't protect touta as a female.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Inflammatory posted:

that was the point of the chapter. kuromaru realizes that whole line of thought is loving stupid, rises above it, and in the process saves Touta. that was like...its whole arc.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
The conclusion was even "I don't care if I end up a guy or a girl it doesn't matter either way."

Also as far as I can tell Kuromaru wasn't actually any more of a girl than they were before the chapter, but was having psychological strength issues while pretending to be a girl because of mental associations, not any actual 'females are weak' :biotruths:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kuroumaru's epiphany shouldn't be that she loves him and accepts becoming a girl thusly, or realizing that he can love Touta and still protect him as a boy, or anything like that. It should be that no matter what s/he ends up as doesn't matter. You can do anything as either in this crazy magic world where even being organic/robotic or human/demon/alien/whatever practically doesn't matter.

Fuckin' called it. Kuroumaru's whole deal was this guilty desire of wanting Touta to just protect and rescue her, and guess what's associated with being a damsel in distress? Being a damsel.

But that whole line of thinking is dumb and Kuroumaru knows it. And still has the hots for Touta just the same. Couldn't have wrapped up any better.

While I'm on this precognitive roll, I'm gonna say....next chapter is some fanservice hijinks with Kuroumaru to finish off the miniarc.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

GodFish posted:

The conclusion was even "I don't care if I end up a guy or a girl it doesn't matter either way."

Also as far as I can tell Kuromaru wasn't actually any more of a girl than they were before the chapter, but was having psychological strength issues while pretending to be a girl because of mental associations, not any actual 'females are weak' :biotruths:

Nah, I think that the disguise may have involved some physical alterations (because let's be honest, that's pretty trivial work for Team UQ) - it was less 'women are weak' and more Kuromaru being in a body they weren't used to and hadn't trained in.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
Can we finally see Ayaka and Chachamaru now?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

While I'm on this precognitive roll, I'm gonna say....next chapter is some fanservice hijinks with Kuroumaru to finish off the miniarc.

Calling it; they try to explain the deal to Touta and he fails miserably to comprehend.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Considering he changed back so quickly, I wouldn't be surprised if his gender won't be set definitely at all, changing back and forth.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Lurking Haro posted:

Considering he changed back so quickly, I wouldn't be surprised if his gender won't be set definitely at all, changing back and forth.

I wonder if changing "stances" via their gender is on the cards?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So is Touta actually a vampire, or was that entirely made up by Eva to explain his magia erebia-based immortality?

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

So is Touta actually a vampire, or was that entirely made up by Eva to explain his magia erebia-based immortality?

I don't think I remember Negi ever showing regen powers, so Touta probably got that from the vampirism.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

drat it.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurking Haro posted:

Like Forty?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Kuromaru's gender thing is for normal members of his race. However, he is an immortal. While he isn't one of those "live until the heat death of the universe" immortals, his aging is still probably kinda wonky.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Was thinking of Ranma-like hijinks, changing gender in embarrassing situations and having to explain why Kuryo is back again.
If that happens, I hope he'll learn how to fight as a girl.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
There's not going to be a resolution on Kuromaru's gender ever. We're talking about the same guy who didn't resolve the main plot in his last work.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Angry Grimace posted:

There's not going to be a resolution on Kuromaru's gender ever. We're talking about the same guy who didn't resolve the main plot in his last work.

To be fair, that was due to external stuff he felt strongly about.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

And he is going back to that plot in this work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Rodyle posted:

And he is going back to that plot in this work!

I'll believe that when I see it.

• Locked thread