Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

GigaPeon posted:

P.S. Naomi should be hella taller.

In the books Holden only comes up to her shoulder.

I think the showrunners said it'd be way too expensive to find or CG enough tall people for the belters though.

This is the best piece of Jim Holden fanart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

That was a very good pilot and I'm really excited (rather than apprehensive) now. I got embarrassingly excited to hear a couple of "sa-sa"s in there.

I understand why the main points of contention so far are 1) how BSG-ish it is and 2) whether it's hard sci-fi or not, and I guess that's a good sign. But I don't think I'm going to pick a hill in either of those to die on.

edit: Is it too early to worry about how well SyFy is going to promote this? I found out about the pilot early release basically by saying "I can't wait for this" on Twitter and someone telling me, and I have seen very little advertising for what should be a centerpiece for a network.

stuart scott fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Nov 26, 2015

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Other than a VR app that is everywhere, goodreads sending me an email its out for streaming, a tie in with face off, and at least one other email I can't think of right now...

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

stuart scott posted:

That was a very good pilot and I'm really excited (rather than apprehensive) now. I got embarrassingly excited to hear a couple of "sa-sa"s in there.

Was very happy to hear a fair amount of Belter slang and creole, yes.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
That zero G opening was seriously impressive. I can't remember ever seeing the kind of hair crown you see on footage from the astronauts on the ISS done well before.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CeeJee posted:

That zero G opening was seriously impressive. I can't remember ever seeing the kind of hair crown you see on footage from the astronauts on the ISS done well before.

Yes, out of all the CG and practical effects, that one impressed me the most. It could have been so easy to gently caress it up, but it was done so well I almost think they filmed it using several trips on the Vomit Comet (probably not).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The lighting looked like it was filmed underwater in places.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Did anyone sperg about how while the canterbury maneuvered like a spaceship the small shuttle flew around like an aircraft?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

At least they had the courtesy of showing thrusters doing stuff during that sequence.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Yeah, even the shuttle had to do a flip-and-burn for a second or two to slow down once it reached the Scapuli. I can't wait to see how they give the sense of scale to the Donnager and how the Roci moves.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Just rewatching the episode. The HUD in the shuttle days delta-v of 0.02-0.06km/h in the various cuts to it, but the distance counts down faster than a meter per second.

Hard scifi my rear end! :goonsay:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I love the effort that's gone into the little details. Stuff like having a bird flitting about in low gravity, just because, is awesome. I only hope they don't frontload that sort of stuff too much.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

it's tech noir not neo noir

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

As some other people have said already, I can't loving wait to see the Donnager. That whole sequence is going to be awesome.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Combat Pretzel posted:

The lighting looked like it was filmed underwater in places.

As soon as I saw the way the hair was floating I assumed it was either really really good CGI or they filmed it underwater, yeah.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

johnsonrod posted:

As some other people have said already, I can't loving wait to see the Donnager. That whole sequence is going to be awesome.

From a io9 article this set impressed them the most since it was a huge practical set 4 stories tall.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

This show was surprisingly good and I look forward to seeing more. Perhaps I'll look into the books as well.

I got zero in the way of BSG vibes other than it being a not garbage rarity on the same network. The "belter" station rang much more of the first Total Recall film.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

etalian posted:

From a io9 article this set impressed them the most since it was a huge practical set 4 stories tall.

Speaking of the Donnager, I wonder if SyFy has the balls to show Shed's headless body produce a zero G bubble of blood cartoonishly replacing his head.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

gohmak posted:

Speaking of the Donnager, I wonder if SyFy has the balls to show Shed's headless body produce a zero G bubble of blood cartoonishly replacing his head.

They've been super conservative on the gore so far so I doubt we'll see too much craziness.

IIRC the Scopuli engine room was a Cronenburgian nightmare in the book.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

etalian posted:

Back when they first started production, they'd bought out two of the largest studios here in Toronto. Wouldn't surprise me if they had to move into more as filming continued. With all the shows already filming here, it's funny to think if there's any room left once The Expanse moved in.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

etalian posted:

it's tech noir not neo noir

What does the nightclub in Terminator have to do with this?

edit:\/\/\/You see, that is what is called a 'joke' around these parts.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Dec 1, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

What does the nightclub in Terminator have to do with this?

Tech noir is combining film noir with a science fiction settings, it includes films such as Blade Runner and Strange Days

etalian fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 27, 2015

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

etalian posted:

Tech noir is combining film noir with a science fiction settings, it includes films such as Blade Runner and Strange Days

But is Tech Noir hard or soft sci fi?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GigaPeon posted:

But is Tech Noir hard or soft sci fi?

It depends on if it's noir tech-noir, neo tech-noir, or tech neo-noir. And it also has to tediously mention "delta-v" and "flipping the ship" to decelerate.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

flosofl posted:

It depends on if it's noir tech-noir, neo tech-noir, or tech neo-noir. And it also has to tediously mention "delta-v" and "flipping the ship" to decelerate.

I think it's personally soft neo tech-noir with hard neo tech-noir overtones and a soupcon of neo-noir space opera thrown into the mix.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Well the weird thing about this book series is that it changes genres about every other book.

It kinda goes from noir to political thriller to western to god knows what.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Bert Roberge posted:

Well the weird thing about this book series is that it changes genres about every other book.

It kinda goes from noir to political thriller to western to god knows what.

I really hope the show makes it to the western :allears: I want an entire season of Amos picking out who he's going to have to kill and telling them to their faces

edit: gently caress it, I want that every season.

KatWithHands fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 27, 2015

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I was never a big fan of Amos, and the actor playing him is really throwing me off. Everything else looks fun.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Dazerbeams posted:

I was never a big fan of Amos, and the actor playing him is really throwing me off. Everything else looks fun.

How so? He seemed to really hit the Amos sociopathy.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004
For the hard/soft sci-fi folks, no, this isn't Kim Stanley Robinson hard sci-fi. But it takes that sensibility and wraps it in something a bit more accessible.

I think after reading the first book, I described it to a friend as Firefly + KSR's Mars trilogy. And while the tech escalation for the alien tech is present, it never quite approaches Stargate level of ridiculousness (and I loved Stargate, but come on now). It's more grounded than that.

I for one hope we get a few solid seasons of this. I'm on board.

(And yes, Holden looks a decade too young. And Naomi is too short. Oh well.)

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

I'm just sad that Avasarala isn't going to be able to be nearly as vulgar as she is in the books. The woman makes marines blush.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

xsf421 posted:

I'm just sad that Avasarala isn't going to be able to be nearly as vulgar as she is in the books. The woman makes marines blush.

Speaking of BSG, I totally wouldn't mind if they appropriated frak.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Hughlander posted:

How so? He seemed to really hit the Amos sociopathy.

Now that you mention it, his face reminds me of a beautiful and feminine teenage Dexter. IMDB agrees with me.

I never really felt like Amos was a stone cold killer. The series says it often enough but his thoughts and actions fit the rogue with a heart of gold role a lot better. Given this is a TV show, I'm curious how out of the way it will go to portray Amos as one thing over the other.

Dazerbeams fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 28, 2015

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Dazerbeams posted:

Now that you mention it, his face reminds me of a beautiful and feminine teenage Dexter. IMDB agrees with me.

I never really felt like Amos was a stone cold killer. The series says it often enough but his thoughts and actions fit the rogue with a heart of gold role a lot better. Given this is a TV show, I'm curious how out of the way it will go to portray Amos as one thing over the other.

I hope they find a way to get him to interact with Avasarala this season. Those conversations always go well.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Dazerbeams posted:

Well he is described as compensating for his lack of morality by imitating other people's, without really understanding it. Guess he's copying Holden

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Never heard of the book series but I love me a good Space Opera. I'd previously suggested Legend of the Galactic Heroes for a "GoT In Space" sort of show.

The first shot makes it look like a typical SyFy production. Something about SyFy productions I've just never liked the look of, they come off as low budget fake an artificial. But we'll see how they ends up looking. I'm in.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

It's a little thing but I'm waiting to see what the Eros feed sounds like. I always imagined it eerie but familiar, like the concept of uncanny valley in audio form.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

-Blackadder- posted:

Never heard of the book series but I love me a good Space Opera. I'd previously suggested Legend of the Galactic Heroes for a "GoT In Space" sort of show.
The Expanse isn't really "GoT in space". The books are mostly focused on Holden and his crew and whatever problem they are dealing with, while the interplanetary politics happen off to the side. It's of course possible they might put more emphasis on politicking in the show, since they bring in Avasarala right away.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

They also veer all over the place in terms if kinds of plot. In a good way.

Like one book might be flying around the inner system dealing with the Earth Mars cold war, then the next is 90% in a tiny colony on a ridiculously lethal planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Show needs more low whistling

• Locked thread