Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

I'm liking everything in this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Have you considered doing any perspective correction?

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
The perspective is part of why it's a good picture in my humble opinion.

vvv keep it exactly how it is!

Beige fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 14, 2015

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

ansel autisms posted:

I'm so so so so bad at it. I feel like every adjustment makes it look wonky.

EDIT: Here is my attempt, in any case

iSheep fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 14, 2015

Subyng
May 4, 2013

ansel autisms posted:

I'm not sure if that was a legitimate attempt because you just made everything look distorted as hell.

Like, foreshortening is a thing, you're removing perspective by making everything straight. How does getting rid of that aspect of reality improve this photo

Might as well make it completely isomorphic.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 14, 2015

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Subyng posted:

I'm not sure if that was a legitimate attempt because you just made everything look distorted as hell.

Like, foreshortening is a thing, you're removing perspective by making everything straight. How does getting rid of that aspect of reality improve this photo

lol wut

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Subyng posted:

How does correcting verticals on the side remove perspective in your wacky dimension?

Subyng
May 4, 2013

ansel autisms posted:

How does correcting verticals on the side remove perspective in your wacky dimension?

Because when you look at the world with your eyes, all lines are subject to foreshortening. That is the perspective we view the world from. The perspective in this photo is "looking slightly upwards", which you intuitively know because of the converging verticals.

Why not correct the horizontals too? Those drawings on the walls look like parallograms, and they are pointing downwards. We should straighten them so they look like rectangles because that's what they really are! Obviously you wouldn't do that because you know that drawings look crooked because you are viewing the wall at an angle and they are being subjected to foreshortening. But if you did then the whole photo would just look like if Picasso did photography and you would have removed all sense of depth. That's what I mean by removing perspective.

Basically I don't think straightening the verticals helps the photo. You've changed the perspective from "looking slightly up" to "looking straight on" but why does that perspective need to be changed at all? I don't really see anything being enhanced by virtue of more straightness in this context other than a compulsive need for straightness. :shrug:

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Subyng posted:

Because you don't understand art maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Here, I fixed it.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Not nearly enough acceleration.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The gently caress is the lens flare you scrub

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Subyng posted:

Because when you look at the world with your eyes, all lines are subject to foreshortening. That is the perspective we view the world from. The perspective in this photo is "looking slightly upwards", which you intuitively know because of the converging verticals.

Why not correct the horizontals too? Those drawings on the walls look like parallograms, and they are pointing downwards. We should straighten them so they look like rectangles because that's what they really are! Obviously you wouldn't do that because you know that drawings look crooked because you are viewing the wall at an angle and they are being subjected to foreshortening. But if you did then the whole photo would just look like if Picasso did photography and you would have removed all sense of depth. That's what I mean by removing perspective.

Basically I don't think straightening the verticals helps the photo. You've changed the perspective from "looking slightly up" to "looking straight on" but why does that perspective need to be changed at all? I don't really see anything being enhanced by virtue of more straightness in this context other than a compulsive need for straightness. :shrug:

:eyepop:

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
either you correct perspective, or you do not correct perspective, you will regret it both ways

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

Tony Two Bapes posted:

either you correct perspective, or you do not correct perspective, you will regret it both ways

this guy has the correct perspective

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

lucas

"portrait" of ansel autisms

Subyng
May 4, 2013

:rolleyes:

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 15, 2015

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Subyng posted:

wha

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
FWIW I know I've been shooting too low and too wide with my subjects. Which is really bad when you are photographing a human.

I just gotta push the focal length as much as I'm willing to go when working small spaces, and bring up the tripod to at least eye level.

Or shoot medium format I guess.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

iSheep posted:

Generally, not always, but generally I find if you are editing in Lightroom, in the HSL, a slight positive push into the orange and red hue, and a slight negative pull in the saturation usually does the trick for skin tones.

Just wanted to say thanks for this super simple but amazing tip. Can't believe how yellowy-green some of my skin tones looked before.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Mido posted:

lucas

"portrait" of ansel autisms

Im getting a "foreshortening" of the perspective of my pants

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

The portrait thread continues to be the opposite of the landscapes thread

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
some pretty warped perspectives in this thread

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Trying new things.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

lmao

Subyng
May 4, 2013
^chuckled

What I wrote makes perfect sense, :shrug: if you don't understand how perspective works, I'm not making this the hill I die on lol

Subyng fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 20, 2015

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Subyng posted:

What I wrote makes perfect sense, :shrug: if you don't understand how perspective works, I'm not making this the hill I die on lol

no offense but ur opinions are something awful

lol get it

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

TomR posted:

Trying new things.

i am fond.

RangerScum posted:

no offense but ur opinions are something awful

lol get it

i'm not sure htat i get it

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Bill & Jordan
by Steve V, on Flickr

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
Trying out stroboscopic stuff.

Ares by Kyle Sonnenberg, on Flickr

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

Nameless Dread posted:

Trying out stroboscopic stuff.

Ares by Kyle Sonnenberg, on Flickr

It makes my head hurt.... but I *really* like it.

Oh my eyes :(

Taps
Aug 14, 2009
Picked up photography after like 6 years off... teaching myself strobes and studio stuff. Wonder if anyones got any advice or anything they see horribly wrong with these

VillageC_court-14-1 by patrick teff, on Flickr
steve_guitar_-1 by patrick teff, on Flickr

Dee and Jason -portraits-2 by patrick teff, on Flickr

Marvis -portraits-3 by patrick teff, on Flickr

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Taps posted:

Picked up photography after like 6 years off... teaching myself strobes and studio stuff. Wonder if anyones got any advice or anything they see horribly wrong with these

Marvis -portraits-3 by patrick teff, on Flickr

My first impression of this one was really good. I liked the composition, elements, and colors. Then I saw the backfill flash and I don't think it fits at all. The light back there is too white and too low. Maybe Photoshop the highlights to a gold or incandescent hue to blend it in a bit?

Edit: Also I might suggest shooting at a higher f stop for multiple subjects like your second shot. The guy sitting 6 inches back from the woman is out of focus. Using f/8 or f/9 should help a ton.

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 25, 2015

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The lighting is really unflattering. The hard shadows combined with the hair light create a tone that isn't really appropriate for a happy old lady. Plus that chair. Why is the chair there? The hair lights catching on it along with the pillars and the foreground chair are really distracting.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Yeah get rid of the hair light and balance the key light to be at or just above the room lights. The room being like 2 or 3 stops below the subject isn't doing that photo any favors.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Starting the holiday shots already

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Been photographing a lot of kids & families this fall

www.kneerphoto.com by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

dakana posted:

Been photographing a lot of kids & families this fall

What kind of processing do you do for the eyes? This shot has some great colors, and anybody that can hit that kind of depth of field on a moving kid is always impressive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The first 3 are quite good. The thirds could really use more DoF, it's v shallow but it serves no purpose.