Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

black.lion posted:

Going to take a look at two Aerons that someone is selling on CL for $250 each - ad says I can choose from "size B and C" - what does this mean? Also, what am I looking for to be sure the chair is in good condition? Price seems a bit too good to be true, honestly.

B and C are sizes. B is average, C is bigger.

Make sure the adjustments work (up/down/tilt/etc) and that the gas cylinder works. Check the hip bolts to make sure they aren't coming out or messed up. Check the mesh of the seat and back to make sure they are firm and not too giving/stretchy.

$250 is a steal but it's likely they're selling a 20 year old chair that lack the functionality/ergonomics of what the aeron is supposed to be like. But its worth checking out because who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Bigger as in wider, deeper, or...? I'm not fat but the idea of a larger chair appeals to me bc sometimes I wrap myself in blankets to watch movies etc and sit cross-legged.

Here's the posting, can you tell if this is an old chair that lacks the stuff that makes an aeron cool?

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/fuo/5334345406.html

The pictures aren't super descriptive but my current chair is a 40$ deal that I bought from Walmart two years ago so surely it's an upgrade in any case...

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

black.lion posted:

Bigger as in wider, deeper, or...? I'm not fat but the idea of a larger chair appeals to me bc sometimes I wrap myself in blankets to watch movies etc and sit cross-legged.

This isn't really a chair that lets u sit crosslegged. You should see/sit in one in real life and you'll learn a lot more.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Okay well I'm 6' 170 so according to that lovely graph I may fit either, really I just want to know how to tell if this is a ~real~ Aeron because there's another I on CL for $300 that I'll take a look at if these aren't the real deal.

e: Actually I'm 6' 180 not that it matters but I hate lying on the internet, even inadvertently

Lag
Jan 3, 2003

Atomizer posted:

I was going to suggest some kind of lap platform for you, but I don't know of one specifically. I use my mouse + Logitech G13 gamepad on my keyboard drawer, and the keyboard, which is normally stowed on a platform right below the drawer, gets pulled onto my lap when I'm gaming. It works for me.

As far as the other things are concerned, someone commented that an exercise ball isn't worth the hassle, because you have to concentrate on balancing while you're trying to also concentrate on working/whatever. I could totally see myself falling off the ball onto my rear end.

I had a kneeling chair about 10 years ago, and it "works" kinda, except I found that it quickly became uncomfortable because it put a lot of weight on my shins. You can adjust it, but if you go to the other extreme you end up just sitting on it like a stool instead of using it for its intended purpose as a kneeling chair. I suppose there might be a "perfect" position where it balances your weight exactly where it should, but I was never able to find that point.

I bought a used Steelcase Leap, which arrived yesterday and will be unboxed today, so I'll see how that goes.

Edit: Here's the chair!

I bought it specifically because of the headrest; I sit at a computer that not only has a 2x2 monitor configuration so I have to lean back & look up to see the top monitors, but my TV is also mounted high and off to the side. I'm aware that you don't want to rely on a headrest or high-back chair to support the head in a normal office configuration due to weakening the neck muscles, but as I wrote I've got a slightly different use case. The headrest has a cushion that can flip over the back when you don't need it, and actually, this appears to be a custom chair as that headrest is the one on the Leap Worklounge (which retails for $3k :eyepop:) instead of the smaller, simpler one you more commonly see in images of the Leap configured this way; even then, used Leaps with a headrest are hard to find, so I'm glad I snapped up this one. The "normal" headrest, by the way, attaches to the top of the chair back, and the Worklounge one attaches to the seat back support as you can see in one of those images above.

The Steelcase label underneath the chair says "special" on it which I'm assuming indicates that this is indeed a custom order, but as I don't know much else about it I'm going to contact Steelcase support with an image of the label to see if there's anything special they can tell me about it. It was manufactured just over 3 years ago, and looks like new; there's some slight scuffing if you look for it, but overall it's in fantastic condition and I'm really happy with it. It was advertised as and appears to be a Leap V2, but I'm not 100% sure about that as I don't know if there are any solid indicators of which version this is; honestly I don't care either way though, I've been sitting in it for a couple hours now and am really loving it!

Seriously awesome chair. I'd love any additional information you have found out about it -- and if possible more pictures about how the headrest is attached. I have a Leap v2 without a headrest, and an ErgoHuman v2 (daily driver). I've long lusted after the perfect computer chair, and have tried many -- with the exception of the headrest and perhaps some additional lumbar support, I personally feel the Leap Chair v2 is the best I've ever had the pleasure of sitting in. If I could obtain a chair such as yours, my life would be greatly improved.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Lag posted:

Seriously awesome chair. I'd love any additional information you have found out about it -- and if possible more pictures about how the headrest is attached. I have a Leap v2 without a headrest, and an ErgoHuman v2 (daily driver). I've long lusted after the perfect computer chair, and have tried many -- with the exception of the headrest and perhaps some additional lumbar support, I personally feel the Leap Chair v2 is the best I've ever had the pleasure of sitting in. If I could obtain a chair such as yours, my life would be greatly improved.

I replied to your PM but forgot to mention photos. I can take some of my headrest to give you a better idea how it's attached. I'll try to remember on my day off (Friday.)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

black.lion posted:

Okay well I'm 6' 170 so according to that lovely graph I may fit either, really I just want to know how to tell if this is a ~real~ Aeron because there's another I on CL for $300 that I'll take a look at if these aren't the real deal.

e: Actually I'm 6' 180 not that it matters but I hate lying on the internet, even inadvertently

I'm 6' 1" 270someodd and I'm pretty sure I've only ever sat in Aeron Bs (I assume these are the most popular model in the wild) and I've never thought "poo poo if only this chair was bigger," so you'll probably be fine with a B.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

black.lion posted:

Buy the C and mail it to me. I'm 6'4" 290 and I haven't been able to find one drat reasonably-priced ergo chair in my area since the janitor broke my Leap shoving it under my desk.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

eriddy posted:

This isn't really a chair that lets u sit crosslegged. You should see/sit in one in real life and you'll learn a lot more.

4'10" 300lbs :stare:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

slidebite posted:

4'10" 300lbs :stare:

I have a feeling that is there just to make the chart square, I mean you also have 6'6" 90lbs which is like "Hello my name is Slender Man, nice to meet you." territory.

Minimum Syntaxing
Oct 29, 2008

He looks white, but he's the son of a black man!
So how come the only good affordable chairs (well, on craigslist) that people recommend are mid-back? The only full-back I see mentioned is the Embody, but it's expensive and not on craigslist.

I've always used nameless full-back chairs, and I assume these mid-back ones are for better posture. But I'm used to fidgeting and finding new ways to slouch.... but that might be because my current chair is falling apart and doesn't have a headrest.

What are the actual differences between full/mid back?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Do you mean full back like it is tall enough to have a head rest? If you constantly rest your head all day, you'll weaken your neck muscles.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
Also, I'm sitting in an Embody and the back doesn't go up far enough to rest your head. Office chairs don't typically have head rests because you shouldn't be leaning back and sleeping...

Minimum Syntaxing
Oct 29, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Do you mean full back like it is tall enough to have a head rest? If you constantly rest your head all day, you'll weaken your neck muscles.

By full back I mean your whole back is up against the chair.
Some of the popular chairs like the Aeron or Leap look like they might barely reach my shoulder blades, whereas my current chair is level with the top of my shoulders.
Granted I haven't sat in either of those so I don't know how comfortable I'd find them, I'm planning on testing some soon.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Fartmaster posted:

By full back I mean your whole back is up against the chair.
Some of the popular chairs like the Aeron or Leap look like they might barely reach my shoulder blades, whereas my current chair is level with the top of my shoulders.
Granted I haven't sat in either of those so I don't know how comfortable I'd find them, I'm planning on testing some soon.

Not all chairs fit all people.

Minimum Syntaxing
Oct 29, 2008

ILikeVoltron posted:

Also, I'm sitting in an Embody and the back doesn't go up far enough to rest your head. Office chairs don't typically have head rests because you shouldn't be leaning back and sleeping...

Ah I guess I don't need a headrest, and what I mean to say is that sometimes I scoot my butt forward a bit so I can lean back/slouch a bit more when I'm not in upright typing mode.

Etrips posted:

Not all chairs fit all people.

Well yeah, but I'm not especially tall - 6'

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Cojawfee posted:

If you constantly rest your head all day, you'll weaken your neck muscles.

I don't use the headrest while sitting upright, but it's nice having it around for the times when I'm leaning back while contemplating a tricky problem. They aren't necessarily a bad thing.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Fartmaster posted:

Ah I guess I don't need a headrest, and what I mean to say is that sometimes I scoot my butt forward a bit so I can lean back/slouch a bit more when I'm not in upright typing mode.

Well yeah, but I'm not especially tall - 6'

On most of these chairs when you go to lean back like that the seat slides forward and the back reclines so the chair's back always stays in contact with your back. I know my Leap V2 does this, you can set how much reclining there will be, also you can adjust the seat position independently of the other adjustments.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
Aside from the custom mutant Leap posted earlier, is there an equivalent to the Leap WorkLounge that isn't $2999? It seems like the only chair I've been able to find that is designed for both working and loafing.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Picked up a Leap for 170usd from one of those places that buy in bulk from bankruptcy sales :D

Its loving awesome, but they didn't have any Leaps with headrests. Is it possible to buy one as a part and add it on?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Picked up a Leap for 170usd from one of those places that buy in bulk from bankruptcy sales :D

Its loving awesome, but they didn't have any Leaps with headrests. Is it possible to buy one as a part and add it on?

The short answer is "yes" (see my post history in this thread.) The long answer is that you'd have to find a local Steelcase parts supplier willing to sell you the appropriate components from the Worklounge and then make the modifications yourself, but I didn't actually do this to mine so you'd be on your own. This, I suppose, is the relevant answer to his post as well:

i poop fire posted:

Aside from the custom mutant Leap posted earlier, is there an equivalent to the Leap WorkLounge that isn't $2999? It seems like the only chair I've been able to find that is designed for both working and loafing.

I could provide more detailed photos of my "custom" chair but I have no idea who actually performed the mod. (The chair was purchased from an office supply liquidator halfway across the country.)

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Atomizer posted:

The short answer is "yes" (see my post history in this thread.) The long answer is that you'd have to find a local Steelcase parts supplier willing to sell you the appropriate components from the Worklounge and then make the modifications yourself, but I didn't actually do this to mine so you'd be on your own.

Yeah I think this is going to be the hard part where I live :( We have like one authorised seller of Steelcase products in the country

Does it have to be local? A quick search of ebay didn't turn up anything but are there other websites where you can purchase parts?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Yeah I think this is going to be the hard part where I live :( We have like one authorised seller of Steelcase products in the country

Does it have to be local? A quick search of ebay didn't turn up anything but are there other websites where you can purchase parts?

Eh, maybe. I had contacted Steelcase for info initially and they were the ones who referred me to their "authorized dealers" as they don't sell parts directly. I've got a store from an apparently upscale office supply retailer nearby, and they didn't respond when I sent an e-mail. I suppose I could, you know, call them or stop by the store, but I just have to get around to that as my issue is minor (I just need a tiny screw.) Just go here: http://www.steelcase.com/find-us/where-to-buy/dealers
...and all you'd really have to do is get in touch with pretty much any dealer willing to ship stuff. The hard part is figuring out how to identify the exact parts needed.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Figured I'd post this here although it's something of a general ergonomics question.

I got a new desk and it doesn't have anywhere for my feet to chill on. Can anyone recommend some kind of footrest or something? I've seen a lot of those angled ones but my chair is on wheels and feel like I'd just be pushing myself away from the desk.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I am somewhat hesitant of a purchase of this amount for a used product, so I ask you fellow goons if this seems legit or reasonable (I am eyeing the leap)

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/fud/5369922323.html

Anything I should be weary of or try to inspect if I decide to take the plunge?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Just bought an Aeron with all the bells and whistles and noticed some people saying that the cheaper lumbar bar is more comfortable/supportive than the adjustable one that is lower down on the back. Do any of you find this to be the case? I think I can switch it out afterwards if I need to.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

So I've noticed something. The base of the gas tube in my Leap sits a few millimetres off my floor, which is made of wood, and I'm not sure if the floor is warping or was never flat to begin with but in some spots the gas tube starts to graze the surface and its loving up my floor (concentric crescent marks are appearing). Can I raise the gas tube somehow? Is it even normal to begin with?

I suppose I could just sand down that part of the floor but then I'd have to revarnish it and :effort:

Atomizer posted:

Eh, maybe. I had contacted Steelcase for info initially and they were the ones who referred me to their "authorized dealers" as they don't sell parts directly. I've got a store from an apparently upscale office supply retailer nearby, and they didn't respond when I sent an e-mail. I suppose I could, you know, call them or stop by the store, but I just have to get around to that as my issue is minor (I just need a tiny screw.) Just go here: http://www.steelcase.com/find-us/where-to-buy/dealers
...and all you'd really have to do is get in touch with pretty much any dealer willing to ship stuff. The hard part is figuring out how to identify the exact parts needed.

Speaking of gas tubes a little googling and I found some shops selling them for like ~190usd a pop, which is already more than I paid for the chair to begin with :D I guess mods to this Leap aren't going to be a thing after all

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

So I've noticed something. The base of the gas tube in my Leap sits a few millimetres off my floor, which is made of wood, and I'm not sure if the floor is warping or was never flat to begin with but in some spots the gas tube starts to graze the surface and its loving up my floor (concentric crescent marks are appearing). Can I raise the gas tube somehow? Is it even normal to begin with?

I suppose I could just sand down that part of the floor but then I'd have to revarnish it and :effort:

Speaking of gas tubes a little googling and I found some shops selling them for like ~190usd a pop, which is already more than I paid for the chair to begin with :D I guess mods to this Leap aren't going to be a thing after all

Get a chair mat or a small, low pile rug.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you swap the casters out for hard floor ones they are usually slightly larger, so lift the chair up slightly, while also being nicer to roll around on hard floors. Having said that, I have about 15mm of clearance between the bottom of the gas tube on my Think and the floor, so yours sounds like it's sunk somehow.

You can probably fix it by knocking the cylinder out of the base and wrapping a piece of thin card around it before putting it back in.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 22, 2016

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Seconding larger casters.

I got these ones for carpet: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001H96YRG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00
There might be a different/better option for hard floors.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

If you swap the casters out for hard floor ones they are usually slightly larger, so lift the chair up slightly, while also being nicer to roll around on hard floors. Having said that, I have about 15mm of clearance between the bottom of the gas tube on my Think and the floor, so yours sounds like it's sunk somehow.

You can probably fix it by knocking the cylinder out of the base and wrapping a piece of thin card around it before putting it back in.

Well poo poo I tried using an adjustable wrench and a plier wrench and both only managed to scratch the cylinder, which didn't budge at all. Do I have to use one of those massive pipe wrenches aka in this video?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8P6Ek2kHRY

~Coxy posted:

Seconding larger casters.

I got these ones for carpet: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001H96YRG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00
There might be a different/better option for hard floors.

I might have to go this route if the fucker doesn't want to come loose but jesus christ I only got this leap because it was 175 and those casters are 75 after s&h :smithicide:

Are the caster mounts universal?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Well poo poo I tried using an adjustable wrench and a plier wrench and both only managed to scratch the cylinder, which didn't budge at all. Do I have to use one of those massive pipe wrenches aka in this video?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8P6Ek2kHRY

If it's an old chair, yes. There's poo poo in there that's been sitting there and hardening over time. I had a hell of a time getting the old cylinder out of my Aeron. If you aren't already doing it, consider using WD-40 to help loosen that gunk up.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

There's a discount overstock store that has an Aeron for sale (these don't seem to pop up on craigslist here ever, this is the first nice chair I've seen to be honest)

http://rapidcity.craigslist.org/fud/5426243189.html

$399 for what looks to be a new Aeron seems like a good price, is there anything I should keep an eye on when I stop by the store to look at it tomorrow?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

There's a discount overstock store that has an Aeron for sale (these don't seem to pop up on craigslist here ever, this is the first nice chair I've seen to be honest)

http://rapidcity.craigslist.org/fud/5426243189.html

$399 for what looks to be a new Aeron seems like a good price, is there anything I should keep an eye on when I stop by the store to look at it tomorrow?

I suppose just make sure the fabric is in good condition, although I think that's covered under warranty. Note that there are 3 sizes of Aerons, make sure this one is the right fit for you.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
I bought a Leap because it seems to have a high degree of approval in this thread, but I'm disappointed with it. The cushioning on the seat and the back isn't soft at all and I think sitting in it for any significant amount of time will be uncomfortable. I do like the pivot action of the back, since I always recline while sitting, but I'm going to return it. It also arrived with a broken caster, but that's unrelated to the fact that it isn't actually comfortable.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Kylaer posted:

I bought a Leap because it seems to have a high degree of approval in this thread, but I'm disappointed with it. The cushioning on the seat and the back isn't soft at all and I think sitting in it for any significant amount of time will be uncomfortable. I do like the pivot action of the back, since I always recline while sitting, but I'm going to return it. It also arrived with a broken caster, but that's unrelated to the fact that it isn't actually comfortable.

what are you going to get instead? cause aerons don't come with cushioning at all

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Probably another no-name chair from Office Max or whatever, like I've used for the past few years until the bolts holding the back on gave out and it got all wobbly.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Cushioning and comfortable aren't the same thing.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Cushioning and comfortable aren't the same thing.

This, my Leap is way more comfortable then my old chair and that one had thick cushions. I was disappointed in the lack of cushioning too at first, but after sitting in the Leap for a few days and adjusting it to fit my body I found that I could sit in it all day without discomfort.

But the Leap is not for everyone, if they really find it uncomfortable then a different chair is the right choice, though I think a cheap office chair will just be another disappointment down the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Kylaer posted:

How long have you actually used the Leap though? ...because it sounds like you've just thought about sitting in it. If you haven't actually used it for an extended period of time then you're not going to have an idea of how comfortable it actually is. The cushioning is soft but firm; it's comfortable because it's supportive. Still, you're supposed to take breaks and get up to stretch periodically anyway, and this is true regardless of what chair you have.