Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Felicity overreacted in her previous-timeline scene, but it was a thing that seemed that Oliver could have easily fixed by explaining how the whole thing went down. I mean he just found out that very same day, and the mother did make him promise not to tell anyone if he wanted to be a part of the son's life. So just say that. Because as lovely as Felicity's reaction was, she still has the whole him not telling her the whole truth.

But nooo. We get to have the whole drama of keeping secrets from each other, even when the consequences could be easily managed (like someone said, have Felicity pretend she doesn't know for a while).

It'd be hilarious though if they had Barry flat out advise Ollie that it's ok to lie and keep secrets if it gets you time with your son (Instead he just says the last part and the part about timeline fuckery which didn't make much sense). Because, somehow Barry keeping secrets has worked really (magically) well for him and everyone is cool with it (even when they find out the truth), so he still does it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
Those ancient Egypt flashbacks were just embarrassing, I felt bad for the actors involved in them.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Whizbang posted:

You might say he has a history of flipping out.

I know this is back from a couple pages ago and before the episode and all (which I haven't watched yet) but....

:vince::golfclap:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I have to admire the creative team for going ALL IN on the batshit crazy Hawkgirl backstory, but lordy. Those Egypt flashbacks were "high school drama production for the non-drama kids" bad.

I'll always love JLU's interpretation of hawkgirl, but this was a pretty solid two-hander.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
The Grave is the baby mama and Oliver's son becomes the Robin to Oliver's batman after a huge time jump between seasons.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

BrianWilly posted:

Someone mentioned earlier that Felicity has a right to be mad and it's like...not really? Or only...kinda? She's just making Oliver's legitimate problems all about herself, as usual. It makes sense that she has a hangup about Oliver keeping secrets but her total lack of sympathy here was just as frustrating as it always is.

It's funny she didn't have a right to be mad in the original timeline but she sure does now, after he was already told by Flash keeping the secret from her is what made her break up with him, and this time getting an extra long time to think about it, and this time her giving him an extra long time to tell the truth and being very supportive and hi deciding, nah, I'll actually lie to your face.

And which secret does he think would be easier to keep?

A) That he tells his girlfriend he has a son, keep this secret from a single mom 200 miles away who never interacts with her.

B) That he has a son. Keep this secret from the super mega hacker who knows everything who you live with when you plan on routinely traveling 200 miles to visit.

I mean come the gently caress on.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

How do the writers rationalize Ollie not just going "Okay I won't tell anybody."

*Smash cut* "Felicity I have a son, I promised his mother I wouldn't tell anyone so, pretend you have no idea if it ever comes up."

"I will practice my shocked face for when that happens because of course it will have you met us?"

Because he knows Felicity and she would show up on the Hawke family lawn, probably crying.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Oliver just found out, through a paternity test run by Barry, that he has a 9 year old boy - and that it was his mother who kept the secret from him. I think he is allowed to have a little bit of time to process that on his own. In addition, if the mother of your child makes a reasonable request (considering how much of a mess the Queen family has been), Oliver should respect her wishes. Even if Oliver told Felicity - what good could from that? Felicity is going to meddle in the kid's life constantly, and encourage Oliver to do the same.

Gatito
Mar 29, 2010
Just watched the episode.

What if the timeline where Savage wins is still running? so, almost unopposed he could easily take over the World. And that is exactly why Rip Hunter comes back, there are no heroes in that timeline, they were killed by Savage's ultimate; and IIRC it was his job to fix broken stuff in the timestream, like the alternate timelines created by Barry running back in time; So Rip has to gather a bunch of "Legends" to go back and fix everything from the origin.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
In the older promos, I remember both Ollie and Barry being on hand to help get the ball rolling. It's possible there's been a change in plans since then, but who knows.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well, at least two of his Legends were wiped out in that timeline.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

greatn posted:

It's funny she didn't have a right to be mad in the original timeline but she sure does now, after he was already told by Flash keeping the secret from her is what made her break up with him, and this time getting an extra long time to think about it, and this time her giving him an extra long time to tell the truth and being very supportive and hi deciding, nah, I'll actually lie to your face.

And which secret does he think would be easier to keep?

A) That he tells his girlfriend he has a son, keep this secret from a single mom 200 miles away who never interacts with her.

B) That he has a son. Keep this secret from the super mega hacker who knows everything who you live with when you plan on routinely traveling 200 miles to visit.

I mean come the gently caress on.

Agreed. I was annoyed when they did the initial cry talk confrontation, but assumed when they did the reset that Oliver would deal with it like a rational human being, but we are now left with hanging cry talk potential with the look felicity gave at the end after Oliver chose to be a diiiiick at the end.

Original time line - felicity being a diiiiick even when Oliver explains that he is still trying to come to terms with a potentially life changing discovery in addition to all the shot going down.

New time line - Oliver being a diiick by choosing to hide things after having time to process , the poo poo has been dealt with and they have got back home and started a conversation about the thing. "I dealt with it, not even going to tell you what it was"

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Azhais posted:

I dunno, introducing William gives them an easy out for the cemetery scene. William gets killed by Darkh :ms:

Moms is going bye bye, Oliver's getting a nanny next season.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Azhais posted:

I dunno, introducing William gives them an easy out for the cemetery scene. William gets killed by Darkh :ms:

Team Arrow think that William is dead but in reality he was just kidnapped by barrow man

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Barrowman is actually B. Arrowman, right? Which stands for Bad Arrow Man? That's why he was cast, right?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Black Arrow, man.

opazlevi
Nov 2, 2015

Rhyno posted:

I'll cut you.

Come on dude. Look at what she looked like seasons 2-3 vs what she looked like in season 1.

She looks like a loving man now. Granted she's looking a tiny bit better but she's still hideous now. Looking at her and Caity Lotz side by side in that trailer only showed it more.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
RIP that face

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

opazlevi posted:

Come on dude. Look at what she looked like seasons 2-3 vs what she looked like in season 1.

She looks like a loving man now. Granted she's looking a tiny bit better but she's still hideous now. Looking at her and Caity Lotz side by side in that trailer only showed it more.

go on

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

opazlevi posted:

gently caress right off.
She looked different (I had to check if they had recast) but hideous and like a man is loving retarded.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I would swipe this conversation left.

(Left is no, right? I don't use Tinder.)

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
Oh God, please not this again. Anything but this.

TyrantWD posted:

Oliver just found out, through a paternity test run by Barry, that he has a 9 year old boy - and that it was his mother who kept the secret from him. I think he is allowed to have a little bit of time to process that on his own. In addition, if the mother of your child makes a reasonable request (considering how much of a mess the Queen family has been), Oliver should respect her wishes. Even if Oliver told Felicity - what good could from that? Felicity is going to meddle in the kid's life constantly, and encourage Oliver to do the same.

But it's not very difficult at all to say, "I'm respecting the wishes of someone who doesn't want me to talk about it with other people."

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Could we not have a stupid Laurel derail again.

If you want to bitch about Laurel, my complaint is how ridiculous her using canary cry looks. Every time I burst out laughing or cringe.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Stayne Falls posted:

But it's not very difficult at all to say, "I'm respecting the wishes of someone who doesn't want me to talk about it with other people."

Then Felicity questions why this other person's wishes takes precedence over what she perceives to be Oliver's sworn duty to tell her everything the instant he discovers it. Oliver would have a better chance reasoning with Grodd than Felicity.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

bbf2 posted:

Those ancient Egypt flashbacks were just embarrassing, I felt bad for the actors involved in them.

Agreed.

My wife was all "What the gently caress is this, The Mummy?"

I haven't watched The Flash so I was kinda lost this episode and didn't enjoy it very much :/ Didn't know it was basically PT 2 where PT 1 was on a whole other show.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

CornHolio posted:

Agreed.

My wife was all "What the gently caress is this, The Mummy?"

I haven't watched The Flash so I was kinda lost this episode and didn't enjoy it very much :/ Didn't know it was basically PT 2 where PT 1 was on a whole other show.

The Mummy was awesome we should be so lucky to have a90s era Brendan Fraser doing his Han Solo impression

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Bad Moon posted:

The Mummy was awesome we should be so lucky to have a 90s era Brendan Fraser doing his Han Solo impression

:agreed:

Dude playing Carter needs to ham it up a bit, what's made these shows work is decent actors really committing to the cheesy-ness of superhero media and guy was really just kinda boring when he wasn't birdmanning. Kinda sucks that all of his lines were either exposition or hitting on Kendra, though. The Arrow writers seem to really enjoy that kind of teen drama.

Thea was on point this episode, I love that she's both the lovable kid sidekick and the loose cannon now.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Xtanstic posted:

Could we not have a stupid Laurel derail again.

If you want to bitch about Laurel, my complaint is how ridiculous her using canary cry looks. Every time I burst out laughing or cringe.

I don't think a sonic cry power has ever not looked stupid in live action, but at least they could add some VFX so it doesn't just look like she's trying to hit the peak of "Dream On".

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Bad Moon posted:

The Mummy was awesome we should be so lucky to have a90s era Brendan Fraser doing his Han Solo impression

I'm not complaining about The Mummy (a true classic of modern filmmaking) but this felt more like a Mummy ripoff.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Bad Moon posted:

The Mummy worked for the same reason Army of Darkness does; it's campy fun that *knows* it's campy fun. That self-awareness is why Flash/Arrow work pretty well (CW drama aside) while Supergirl is still in the "I'm going to walk over here and say my lines" phase, and the Egypt flashbacks didn't have that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't like the Ollicity stuff from this episode not because of Felicity being mad that Ollie was lying, because that's an ongoing theme, but that I thought we were done with keeping secrets for no reason!

What I like about these crossovers is how loving bonkers they are. I'd not put them up there with prestige shows but I had about as much fun watching these two eps as I've had watching anything this year.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I kind of wish Vandel Savage had summoned a mummy army for everyone to fight now

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Haha keep an eye on the background.

Also once again Arrow hit season high ratings with the crossover so they ain't going anywhere.

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 3, 2015

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

He's bolting before the Olicity drama starts. Smart donkey IMO.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

buddhanc posted:

He's bolting before the Olicity drama starts. Smart donkey IMO.

Speaking of, Guggenheim's trolling his followers.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Dexo posted:

Legends of Tomorrow Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7LlmaFg0lw

All of the budgets went to this show lol.

This has a huge lack of Katrina Law. 4/10

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

McSpanky posted:

I don't think a sonic cry power has ever not looked stupid in live action, but at least they could add some VFX so it doesn't just look like she's trying to hit the peak of "Dream On".

yeah even just a little warp distortion effect like an exaggerated heat distortion would add a lot to it, but then you ramp up shot complexity. Like it looks great when she's singled out in a scene but using it in a crowd now means you have to roto some guys so the wave goes "in between" the crowd and not over top of everything and you just increased VFX time quite a bit for...not much flair. I don't think there's much you can do for that effect practically.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

Carlosologist posted:

"A bunch of heroes in a farmhouse? I feel like I've seen that in a movie before"

man, they're not even being subtle :allears:

quit encroaching on turtle turf... what? :p

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's Oliver's son's mum in the grave, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Valeyard posted:

It's Oliver's son's mum in the grave, isn't it?

Might even be the kid. Dahrk has set precedent about threatening the children of people he's targeting.

• Locked thread