Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Is that a hint of professionalism in Bold Eagle? I mean, blowing everything up is still firmly American, but at least he didn't blow everything up with us in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, he's supposed to be the senior agent monitoring us... Despite being dumb as a brick.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

At least he is not being too condescending towards Archer right now.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Fleve posted:

Is that a hint of professionalism in Bold Eagle? I mean, blowing everything up is still firmly American, but at least he didn't blow everything up with us in it.

He's an American. You know how we are.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

"Oh, I believe we've got ourselves a corpse~" :britain:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

If you want to kill guys silently at close range, I think that's what the poison barrette or the unarmed hand chop moves are for.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So the phosphorous ammo is indeed based on real ammunition types, though it's not quite like it is in real life as in the game. The Soviet Union had incendiary ammo for just about all of their rifle and pistol ammo because they were loving crazy. You can find the incendiary stuff sometimes (this is modern ammo with different ingredients), obviously for a high price. The ingredients of modern incendiary ammo are listed as "barium, titanium sponge, and zirconium sponge." Metal sponge, or metal foam, is a block of metal with a ton of gas-filled pores to make it extremely light and easier to ignite (normally zirconium only easily ignites as a powder). It ignites only when it hits a hard target, so it's not likely to do much more against an unarmored human but will burn at 5000 degrees Fahrenheit if it hits a building, vehicle, or body armor or hard gear.

Phosphorous ammo began in World War I, and has a distinctive blue smoke trail when fired. However, it burns out so fast that it only effectively adds damage at 350 yards. They were mostly used by fighters to shoot down hydrogen-filled zeppelins, as it was illegal to use them against humans. World War II incendiary ammo used in air-to-air combat used nitrocellulose with a steel ball in the tip, which would explode with a bright flash and smoke puff and help pilots know they were making hits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYFS7AJ0Dtg

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

chitoryu12 posted:

World War II incendiary ammo used in air-to-air combat used nitrocellulose with a steel ball in the tip, which would explode with a bright flash and smoke puff and help pilots know they were making hits.

So, something akin to tracer fire? That's really neat to know.

And yeah, Speedball's right. I've never played this game myself, but I've played enough Payday 2 and MGS to know the best way to kill someone quietly with a gun at close range is to not use it, and this game seems to be following that. You may need to seriously start trying to whack people more, Scruffy.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Derek Barona posted:

So, something akin to tracer fire? That's really neat to know.

Yeah, and it was used in conjunction with tracers for the same reason. Unfortunately, the weight of the tracer composition affects the flight path of the bullet so the tracers actually don't fly on the exact same path as the rest of the rounds being fired. You'd probably be better off just loading incendiary or explosive rounds and watching for the flashes.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Derek Barona posted:

And yeah, Speedball's right. I've never played this game myself, but I've played enough Payday 2 and MGS to know the best way to kill someone quietly with a gun at close range is to not use it, and this game seems to be following that. You may need to seriously start trying to whack people more, Scruffy.

That's what I get for not playing Payday 2 in about a year. Shame on me.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I think they did away with almost all special ammo in the sequel if I remember correctly.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

dscruffy1 posted:

That's what I get for not playing Payday 2 in about a year. Shame on me.

You haven't missed much, especially not after the whole Crimefest debacle.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Derek Barona posted:

You haven't missed much, especially not after the whole Crimefest debacle.

Crimefest was a bunch of whiny children making a huge amount of noise over nothing. If they actually cared about their sacred gameplay they'd be protesting the rebalance, MTs don't mean poo poo.

Also don't let a recent event blind you to a year's worth of content. A year is a long time. Depending on what scruffy means that's missing everything from Clover to now - some of the best heists in the game, xp overhaul, vehicles, some fantastic perk decks ...and a mediocre weapon rebalance. Hail to the pistol king :v:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The beer conversation is one of my favorites in the game, but there's another one coming up where they name-drop nearly every 60's spy show in existence. I love it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

That better include Get Smart. :colbert:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I can't remember if they mention Get Smart but they sure mention The Prisoner.

LordGugs
Oct 16, 2012
There is one great conversation where one goon talks about how he likes exotica, god this game is so sixties!

Also I would like to see a Henchman Union meeting.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Psion posted:

Crimefest was a bunch of whiny children making a huge amount of noise over nothing. If they actually cared about their sacred gameplay they'd be protesting the rebalance, MTs don't mean poo poo.

Also don't let a recent event blind you to a year's worth of content. A year is a long time. Depending on what scruffy means that's missing everything from Clover to now - some of the best heists in the game, xp overhaul, vehicles, some fantastic perk decks ...and a mediocre weapon rebalance. Hail to the pistol king :v:

I started a serious fade when The Bomb dropped so I've got some catching up to do.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The reason you're attracting so much attention with silenced kills in this mission is because you're using incendiary ammo! Hear that little explosion sound when a bullet hits something? Enemies can hear that too.

The "explanation" for the steam puzzle always made me laugh. Nice to see a henchman take measures to avoid "forced retirement" rather than just blindly tell his overlords he wants to quit. They really are smarter than most goons.

It's a shame we didn't see the pool of acid, it has a wonderful comedy particle-bubbles effect to make it look incredibly cartoonish. And you can't survive in it long enough to grab the handle unless you took the anti-poison inventory item, which I don't believe will be unlocked at this point in the game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Loxbourne posted:

It's a shame we didn't see the pool of acid, it has a wonderful comedy particle-bubbles effect to make it look incredibly cartoonish. And you can't survive in it long enough to grab the handle unless you took the anti-poison inventory item, which I don't believe will be unlocked at this point in the game.
This gets wonderfully expanded upon in the sequel with what's probably my favorite bit of conversation in the entire series. Two words: artificial lava.

edit: VVV *now* you'd probably get people enraged at a strong female protagonist being in what is essentially a *parody* game.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Been catching up on the videos. Not done yet, but despite my eyebrows raising at Archer being first introduced in the shower, she's shaping up to be a really good woman protagonist - a rare sight indeed. This game would be remarkably progressive if it were made *now*.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
It's about ethics in game development :v:

Loxbourne posted:

The reason you're attracting so much attention with silenced kills in this mission is because you're using incendiary ammo! Hear that little explosion sound when a bullet hits something? Enemies can hear that too.

This is entirely possible. I'll admit I haven't played the game enough to be able to tell when something is making noise but considering a silenced weapon is more like a loud cough than actual silence it makes sense to me that guards would be able to hear it from proximity.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

anilEhilated posted:

Two words: artificial lava.

The best bit about that conversation is that I suspect it also reflects what happens when game developers try putting realistic lava into an FPS.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Psion posted:

The rebalance was my big issue personally, but I also admit I got a great deal of enjoyment out of watching the entire shitstorm happen from a safe distance. You don't often get to watch an active game community completely implode on itself while the devs go full Nero and fiddle while Rome burns around them.

Also yeah, in retrospect not firing normal bullets was probably an important detail.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Stealth!

A Tenuous Lead
Scene 2/Polsy

I've gotten a bit further in the game so far but out of curiosity, should I keep up with the stealth as long as there are things to hear or should I start blazing some guns? Because guns will be blazing here and there, I guarantee it. I'm leaning more towards being a stealthy man.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

dscruffy1 posted:

Stealth!

A Tenuous Lead
Scene 2/Polsy

I've gotten a bit further in the game so far but out of curiosity, should I keep up with the stealth as long as there are things to hear or should I start blazing some guns? Because guns will be blazing here and there, I guarantee it. I'm leaning more towards being a stealthy man.

I say to stay stealthy so we can get as much dialogue as possible. There's enough times in the game where you inevitably end up guns blazing anyway.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

dscruffy1 posted:

Stealth.

Also from when you left off, PD2 added a ton of good stuff so consider taking a look at what you missed. Just be aware there's a huge, huge amount of salt about microtransactions which don't actually impact the game in any meaningful way. They're stupid, and they've been handled badly, but it's Overkill ...what don't they gently caress up and handle badly? :v:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
"No One Lives Forever... In Hell!" should be the new thread title

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Of course you should keep up with stealth to hear conversations. Why would you even ask that question?

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.

dscruffy1 posted:

Stealth!

A Tenuous Lead
Scene 2/Polsy

This is one of my favorite gmes and I love the humor in the lines. Keep it stealthy. Speaking of, why are you not dissolving the bodies so that enemies that spawn in don't go on alert?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Cartheon posted:

This is one of my favorite gmes and I love the humor in the lines. Keep it stealthy. Speaking of, why are you not dissolving the bodies so that enemies that spawn in don't go on alert?

Funny thing I noticed, the game has a graphical setting where you can make bodies auto-disappear and if it's active it's the same as if you use the body dissolver, haha.

Reminds me of the "turn bodies to ash" ability in Dishonored...

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.

Cythereal posted:

Been catching up on the videos. Not done yet, but despite my eyebrows raising at Archer being first introduced in the shower, she's shaping up to be a really good woman protagonist - a rare sight indeed. This game would be remarkably progressive if it were made *now*.

The sad part is that the game was accepted when it came out. My sentiments when I first played were along the lines of it being an enjoyable game that happened to star a woman protagonist, a detail which just seemed to be happenstance. Only now do we find it progressive, meaning, at some point, regression occurred.

Mr. Highway fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 8, 2015

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Mr. Highway posted:

The sad part is that the game was accepted when it came out. My sentiments when I first played were along the lines of it being an enjoyable game that happened to star a woman protagonist, a detail which just seemed to be happenstance. Only now do we find it progressive, meaning, at some point, regression occurred.

I think it may have been 4chan.

LordGugs
Oct 16, 2012

Samovar posted:

I think it may have been 4chan.

Actually it's about ethics in wet work.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mr. Highway posted:

I think it's that we're more aware now that this kind of thing is very unusual. Another good example is the old game Star Trek: Elite Force. You can play as a male or female character, it changes absolutely none of the dialogue or story events (Alexander or Alexandria, everyone calls you Alex or your last name regardless).

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Anchors aweigh!

A Tenuous Lead
Scene 3/Polsy

In case anyone is curious, that secret little alcove I couldn't reach has a special item, earplugs, and a piece of intel.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Mr. Highway posted:

Only now do we find it progressive, meaning, at some point, regression occurred.

What happened was the release of a set of sales statistics around 2002 claiming that games with female protagonists sold poorly compared to male ones. Whether or not they were accurate, publishers slavishly adopted them.

NOLF1 got lucky; it had a well-received demo, got high review scores, and was one of the last games packed in free with a popular graphics card (all the better to sell the Lithtech engine). The combined number of units shipped were enough to get the sequel greenlighted. Alas it also got them other things to deal with - I remember an interview with one of NOLF2's producers when he said that supposedly their publisher had wandered into a games store one day and saw a teenager put a NOLF2 box back on a shelf saying he didn't want to play as a stupid girl. This marketing genius was convinced he had single-handedly spotted the reason for NOLF2's struggling sales, and ordered Contract JACK into production within the week.

EDIT: On a far, far nicer note, the train and cargo crane in this level are a marvel of scripting. If you watch and wait, when the crane picks up the last container in a trainload, the doors at the end of the line will open and a little 60s locomotive will chug up and shunt in a new line of wagons ready to be picked up.

Loxbourne fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 9, 2015

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

As much as I like Mike Thorton, if Alpha Protocol had starred Cate Archer or someone like her I would have been all over it like THAT.

Lockmat
Oct 2, 2005

Come on, let's go set some prostitutes on fire.
Grimey Drawer
I never thought this LP would teach me about a music genre I'd never heard of, but it did

Enjoy some "Les Baxter" and "Sondi Sodasi". Groovy indeed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Don't listen to her, that shirt is great. Considering her bright orange outfit she really has no leg to sneak on when it comes to colors for subtlety.

• Locked thread