Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Kafka Esq. posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/suicide-rate-alberta-increase-layoffs-mental-health-review-1.3355868

Alberta government promises to review suicides in wake of 30% increase from last year

quote:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/suicide-attempts-health-insurance-plans-1.3355881?cmp=rss

Suicide attempts and insurance: Why you might not be covered

Medical expenses excluded from many private health insurance plans, whether person is 'sane or insane'

Please share this with your friends, especially those out west.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

OSI bean dip posted:

Yes. I do not recommend TekSavvy unless you want to spend a few weeks trying to get them to install Internet service correctly. Have Rogers or Shaw for cable Internet and switching to TekSavvy? Expect it to be down for weeks because TSI can only e-mail their last-mile provider to get support. No idea about the DSL side of things, but overall recommending that people switch from Shaw, Rogers, Bell, or TELUS to TekSavvy is like suggesting that someone switches from Windows to Linux.

It took me 1-2 business day to get hooked up with Teksavvy (Shaw tech had to come each time) both times I moved, and no issues whatsoever :shrug:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

e: vvv I spent 2 months doing a placement at CAMH (and plan on working there once registered) and I found it to be a pretty amazing place that does quite a lot of good work. Its just very understaffed and underfunded. Like most of our health care system.

If by amazing place you mean house of horrors serving as an international center for conversion therapy for queer people, sure. The only reason it stopped is because trans activists (including myself) and MPP Cheri DiNovo teamed up this summer to make it illegal. CAMH has been a blight for decades.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Arivia posted:

If by amazing place you mean house of horrors serving as an international center for conversion therapy for queer people, sure. The only reason it stopped is because trans activists (including myself) and MPP Cheri DiNovo teamed up this summer to make it illegal. CAMH has been a blight for decades.

Mind sharing a tl;dr on that?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

sitchensis posted:

Mind sharing a tl;dr on that?

Here's a good article: https://nowtoronto.com/news/is-camh-trying-to-turn-trans-kids-straight/

There's a lot more to the story, but that's a good introduction for lay people. Bill 77 passed in June I think? God, you'd think I'd remember talking to a Queen's Park committee about why I'm suicidal.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Nardwuar is recovering in hospital after a stroke.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

On the other hand "confused male" is a pretty good description of Nardwuar.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Arivia posted:

Here's a good article: https://nowtoronto.com/news/is-camh-trying-to-turn-trans-kids-straight/

There's a lot more to the story, but that's a good introduction for lay people. Bill 77 passed in June I think? God, you'd think I'd remember talking to a Queen's Park committee about why I'm suicidal.

I was expecting an article from like 2001 not 2015. :psyduck:

You didnt hear about or see that stuff in the pharmacy. Just the (typically) friendly regulars showing up for their methadone and blister packs.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

CLAM DOWN posted:

It took me 1-2 business day to get hooked up with Teksavvy (Shaw tech had to come each time) both times I moved, and no issues whatsoever :shrug:

Did you have Shaw originally when you first got service or did you move and decided to sign up for TekSavvy since you were at a new address? There is a substantial difference here.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
I feel like camh is kind of like tchc: it's real bad and does a bad job in a sector where there is a huge need. So that still leaves you feeling like "at least it exists at all". Which is real sad.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

OSI bean dip posted:

Did you have Shaw originally when you first got service or did you move and decided to sign up for TekSavvy since you were at a new address? There is a substantial difference here.

First place I didn't have service when I moved in, it was a new hookup/account for me on Teksavvy, previous ISP was Eastlink. Had to buy the modem from NCIX, and Shaw guy was there the next day to do his thing. Next move I just changed my Teksavvy account to the new address, and the Shaw guy had to come out to the new place to do the thing again. Took 2 days that time. I've never had a Shaw account/service.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

CLAM DOWN posted:

First place I didn't have service when I moved in, it was a new hookup/account for me on Teksavvy, previous ISP was Eastlink. Had to buy the modem from NCIX, and Shaw guy was there the next day to do his thing. Next move I just changed my Teksavvy account to the new address, and the Shaw guy had to come out to the new place to do the thing again. Took 2 days that time. I've never had a Shaw account/service.

Yeah. That is not what I was going on about. The problem is switching from Shaw to TekSavvy, which leads to problems because Shaw will physically disconnect you and then reconnect you at another point to get the service up and running. Your experience is fine because you don't have anything legacy going on.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
So apparently, according to Global News, the provincial government of Alberta bought 17 flood damaged houses in Calgary for 40 million dollars.

Good god, why are we making a bunch of rich people whole because they decided to build a giant loving mansion in a goddamn floodplane?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

PT6A posted:

So apparently, according to Global News, the provincial government of Alberta bought 17 flood damaged houses in Calgary for 40 million dollars.

Good god, why are we making a bunch of rich people whole because they decided to build a giant loving mansion in a goddamn floodplane?

Where are these homes?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

PT6A posted:

Im assuming that was one of the last things the old Conservative government did before getting tossed?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

OSI bean dip posted:

Where are these homes?

Most of them are in rich-rear end inner-city riverfront neighbourhoods, I believe.

EDIT: It turns out that the news is that they're going to be demolished, which I guess makes sense. loving waste of money to buy them in the first place, though.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 10, 2015

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Telus is over-priced but they've been good to me performance wise over the last two years, I'll give them that.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

El Scotch posted:

Telus is over-priced but they've been good to me performance wise over the last two years, I'll give them that.

Likewise, Shaw fucks me in the rear end monthly when my bill arrives, but the internet service, cable, and the tech support on the few occasions I've had to use it, have all been top-notch. Rogers cell-phone service has been the shittiest, and Bell has been fine for mobility.

VDN and Videotron, each of which I had the extreme displeasure of dealing with when I lived in Montreal, can both go eat a bowl of assholes.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

El Scotch posted:

Yeah, same. I've been with them for just over two years and never had to call tech support once.

Also I forgot to tell them when I moved and called literally two days before and was all like "gently caress I'm not gonna have internet or tv for like two weeks" and they were like "yeah ok we can have a tech over to install the stuff a day after you move in"

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

OSI bean dip posted:

Hi. I have been beckoned.

Yes. I do not recommend TekSavvy unless you want to spend a few weeks trying to get them to install Internet service correctly. Have Rogers or Shaw for cable Internet and switching to TekSavvy? Expect it to be down for weeks because TSI can only e-mail their last-mile provider to get support. No idea about the DSL side of things, but overall recommending that people switch from Shaw, Rogers, Bell, or TELUS to TekSavvy is like suggesting that someone switches from Windows to Linux.

Sure. It'll eventually work and you'll find that it does what you want it to do, but the moment it breaks you'll find that getting support is an exercise in futility.

So no. Do not tell people to switch to TekSavvy if they cannot computer.

Any opinion on Lightspeed? I've though about switching from Telus to their cable service for a while now.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

PT6A posted:

Likewise, Shaw fucks me in the rear end monthly when my bill arrives, but the internet service, cable, and the tech support on the few occasions I've had to use it, have all been top-notch. Rogers cell-phone service has been the shittiest, and Bell has been fine for mobility.

VDN and Videotron, each of which I had the extreme displeasure of dealing with when I lived in Montreal, can both go eat a bowl of assholes.

Montreal internet, much like Montreal pizza, is the worst in the country.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 9, 2022

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Hey friends, get all the Canadian telecom chat you need in this thread! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3361500

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Gorewar posted:

Shut your whore mouth right now. I'd kill for a Double Pizza out here.

I mean, I think Montreal pizza could be improved upon, but it's a lot better than Calgary pizza, and it never caused me food poisoning.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Incoming food chat/rodeo clown bloviating

Great job assholes

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

The Big Slice in Toronto gets me every time. Being open at 3AM is nice too.

EDIT: gently caress I took the bait...

I'm just gonna also add that Zet's Restaurant is totally worth the drive up to the airport.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Arivia posted:

Speaking of trans rights, guess which bill is back, with its first reading in the new session of parliament? :toot:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Gorewar posted:

Hey, there's a ton of tiny good pizza places in Montreal. You just gotta find the tiny no-name places instead of the terrible big franchises.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

(x) city has the best (ethnic cuisine) in the country. Nothing better than drinking (some craft beer / spirit) enjoying a meal of (x) and smoking some sort of premium tobacco. cunts

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I was in Canmore last week and went to La Belle Patate because it is my favourite place and oh god it's so good.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

quote:

Part of the issue is that individuals affected by the higher taxes can take steps to avoid paying them.

Don Carson, a chartered accountant with the accounting firm MNP who works with high net-worth clients, said this behavioural response is very real. He noted that while salaried employees cannot do much to avoid higher taxes, small-business owners can restructure their compensation to limit how much income they receive at the new rate.

“They’ll just leave the money inside the business,” he said, noting that small-business owners have taken similar actions in response to new provincial taxes on higher incomes.

I was arguing with a lawyer friend of mine the other day about the impact of the new tax raises on high income earners. His position was that it would destroy small businesses as owners wouldn't be able to support the business with less income, but that wasn't making any sense to me as the money needed to support the business should be staying in the business anyway, and people would if anything do the quoted section above, and leave more money in the business. It doesn't seem like a bad thing for more money to be staying in the business. Use that money to hire another lawyer and grow the law firm revenue even more.

It just seemed like we were talking past one another and I felt like I wasn't getting something?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Novus came to my building lobby to flog their service and I filled out a survey and they gave me a McDonald's gift card. Small Fries and a McDouble bitch :whatup:

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

PT6A posted:

I mean, I think Montreal pizza could be improved upon, but it's a lot better than Calgary pizza, and it never caused me food poisoning.

As a current McGill student I can confirm that Double Pizza is the poo poo, especially during exams when there's no time to cook.

There's also generally a ton of really good pizza places if you're more adventurous than my American friends here who just order Dominoes all the time.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

PT6A posted:

Gondala Cost 2 Coast
Without Papers
il cintrio
cibo
spiros
nicks
4th spot kitchen & bar

the best way to prevent salmonella is to clean your dishes (and stop blaming the city for your eurocrat lifestyle).

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Dark One posted:

Speaking of trans rights, guess which bill is back, with its first reading in the new session of parliament? :toot:

I'm not hopeful. Nothing's changed in the Senate, so Don Plett will just turn it into a mockery and kill it again.

RBC posted:

I feel like camh is kind of like tchc: it's real bad and does a bad job in a sector where there is a huge need. So that still leaves you feeling like "at least it exists at all". Which is real sad.

At least for trans care, there are better options, like the Sherbourne in Toronto. It's such an open secret that people keep opening up new trans clinics so they don't have to send people to CAMH. The Ontario government knows it too, since they've now opened up referrals for sexual reassignment surgery.

We'll see what CAMH is like after their internal review finishes and Zucker's out, but previously they were very very bad.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Femtosecond posted:

I was arguing with a lawyer friend of mine the other day about the impact of the new tax raises on high income earners. His position was that it would destroy small businesses as owners wouldn't be able to support the business with less income, but that wasn't making any sense to me as the money needed to support the business should be staying in the business anyway, and people would if anything do the quoted section above, and leave more money in the business. It doesn't seem like a bad thing for more money to be staying in the business. Use that money to hire another lawyer and grow the law firm revenue even more.

It just seemed like we were talking past one another and I felt like I wasn't getting something?

The reply to someone saying something like this is to point out two things:

1 - People who own businesses still pay themselves salaries from their businesses. The tax that is collected on this income doesn't affect the business, just the owner's personal income. The only way this would affect the business would be if the total revenue of the business was also the owner's personal account. But that would be stupid.

2 - The only other real way that this would affect the business is if the owner then ups his own salary to make up the loss. But that's a personal decision on his part as the owner and not as the business as it makes no sense to up your expenditures for no reason.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Jordan7hm posted:

Hello all. I mentioned the video I was involved in about the Ottawa jail / to some extent the Ontario provincial corrections system. We've finished the last of the editing and it's ready for public consumption. If you're interested, the video itself is about 7 minutes long. It is a student doc, not a professional production, just keep that in mind. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSyBuSsejNU

There's a ton that we weren't able to include, especially about Julie Bilotta's story, but suffice to say the conditions inside the OCDC are pretty dire. I think it's really hosed up that conditions are seemingly worse in what should be one of the "easiest" jails. For the most part when you're in the OCDC you're either serving a short sentence for minor crimes (including weekend sentences), or you're awaiting trial. That short term nature combined with severe overcrowding and understaffing means those prisoners just don't get the same level of attention as more "serious" prisoners serving sentences for violent crimes. The quote that really stuck with me from one of the former inmates, which we didn't include because it was really outside the scope of this doc, was "you go from the sally ann to the shepards to the mission to the jail and back to the sally ann". It's a real cycle for some people, and a big part of that is because they don't go out and serve serious time they never really get the help they need to rehabilitate.

e: One thing that really bothers me is that the Minister and presumably others within the government know drat well that the system is broken, and they say all the right things, but in terms of action nothing really gets better. A lot of people shift the blame back to Harris but we've been under a Liberal government in Ontario long enough that I think that's a piss excuse. Jason Gilbert's quote at the end is really spot on, and kind of depressing.

Now look what you've done, you've gone and caused a strike.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Hal_2005 posted:

Gondala Cost 2 Coast
Without Papers
il cintrio
cibo
spiros
nicks
4th spot kitchen & bar

the best way to prevent salmonella is to clean your dishes (and stop blaming the city for your eurocrat lifestyle).

Most of those I can't walk to, and I only got food poisoning from Great Canadian when I ate a slice that I bought and consumed in their restaurant. I have never given myself food poisoning in my own home.

EDIT: And you forgot Pulcinella, which has great pizza, but isn't really suitable for delivery.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 10, 2015

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

quote:

With his rookie year throne speech clocking in at just 1,750 words, it’s clear that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau wanted to get his slim blueprint for government read and done with as fast as possible. Brief as it was, it got a lot of buzz (visionary! ambitious!) from the more easily-impressed members of the pundit chorus.

The rest of us spent Friday sifting through the bromides for some evidence of a plan. Those of us who worry, for example, about Trudeau’s murky designs for Stephen Harper’s signature “anti-terror” law, C-51, had to make do with this tripe: “Recognizing that Canada is, fundamentally, a safe and peaceful country, the Government will continue to work to keep all Canadians safe, while at the same time protecting our cherished rights and freedoms.”

Isn’t it reassuring to hear that Trudeau plans to keep us “safe” while “protecting” the rights and freedoms that an overwhelming number of civil libertarians, academics and lawyers believe this police-state law pulverizes into extinction?

Look, if Trudeau truly wanted to use simple, clear language to offer Canadians some long-overdue information about the fate of this ghastly law, all he had to do was add five words to the speech, bringing the total up to 1,755: The Government will repeal C-51. Why didn’t he?

If the Liberals intended to repeal C-51, they would have said so. If they’d intended to repeal large parts of the law, they would have sent some signals by now. If they haven’t, common sense suggests it’s because Trudeau has chosen to leave C-51 largely intact. And the strongest indication yet that C-51 is going to emerge relatively unscathed from Trudeau’s first year in power is his cockeyed decision to keep on ex-CSIS director Richard Fadden as his national security adviser.

You may recall that when Fadden was Harper’s national security adviser not so long ago, he gave a haughty, condescending performance before a Senate committee considering C-51, dismissing the law’s many critics as know-nothing fear merchants in need of a chill pill. Don’t get your shorts in a knot, he told the senators — assuring them that nothing bad could happen to civil liberties in this country as long as he and Public Safety Minister Steven Blaney were keeping the spies in check. Trudeau’s failure to add even a sentence to the throne speech signalling any intent to amend C-51 isn’t just mildly surprising. It’s instructive.

“(The bill) seems more frightening than it really is,” Fadden said late last April. “If I think there is real problem, I have access to the prime minister and ministers.”

Fadden’s message was “trust me” then, and it’s “trust me” now. Now, Trudeau has to be numbered among the powerful politicians who actually trust Fadden to police the espionage service he once ran. New government, same old platitudes.

Still, Trudeau’s failure to add even a sentence to the throne speech signalling any intent to amend C-51 — as he insisted he would do before and during the last election campaign — isn’t just mildly surprising. It’s instructive.

Trudeau and Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale have had lots of time to digest a law that will do little, if anything, to prevent either the coordinated terrorist attacks that have repeatedly scarred Paris, Beirut and London, or “lone wolf” attacks of the type that hit San Bernardino last week.

Terrorism cannot be bombed or legislated out of existence. Bill C-51 and laws like it offer the gullible only the illusion of security. And they do so at a terrible cost to free societies. C-51 includes extremely dangerous language criminalizing the “promotion” of terrorism and the spread of terrorist “propaganda” — legal catch-alls that can’t help but erode the right to free speech.

It vastly expands the power of security services to make arrests without warrants, on suspicion. It targets things like interference with “critical infrastructure” (code for protesters messing with pipelines), gives CSIS the power to “disrupt” suspected terrorist plots without waiting around for the cops, and allows it to petition a judge for permission to violate the Charter of Rights.

This isn’t a slippery slope. It’s a cliff. The tired strategy of granting security services more powers in the immediate wake of the latest terrorist attack has been tried time and again, and has failed time and again.

Acknowledging this fact doesn’t amount to being “soft on terror,” nor does it constitute “appeasement” of terrorists. Trudeau and Goodale must stop paying attention to the terror hawks and their empty, bumper-sticker rhetoric. They need to start thinking seriously about what causes radicalization, and to adopt tangible strategies to stop it from happening.

The National Council of Canadian Muslims enlisted the support of the RCMP to do precisely that. Their work over 14 months was published last September in the handbook United Against Terrorism: A Collaborative Effort Towards a Secure, Inclusive and Just Canada.

But the Mounties, citing the booklet’s supposed “adversarial tone,” backed out of a joint press conference with the NCCM to unveil the booklet at the last moment. It’s not hard to guess the name of the short-sighted cretin who told the RCMP to publicly disavow an anti-radicalization booklet they were intimately involved in preparing.

Thankfully, you-know-who is gone now. Trudeau and Goodale should instruct RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson to disavow his disavowal of the NCCM and get back to the serious, necessary business of working with the leadership of this country’s Muslim community to prevent others from being enlisted into the ranks of a ‘death cult’ like ISIS.

In the meantime, Trudeau has to stop playing this irresponsible game of hide-and-seek with the future of C-51 and finally listen to the scores of wise people who have shown us — clause by dangerous clause — why this law needs to follow its architect into oblivion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

flakeloaf posted:

Now look what you've done, you've gone and caused a strike.

I feel bad for the guards. Even if there are some real shitheads working there they have a real horrible work environment for not that much money.

e:
Oh, also we're continuing to work on the whole jail reform thing next term and beyond, but we're at something of a loss to figure out what to do going forward. The organization has had some success getting into the news and opening dialogues with people in power, but it really hasn't translated to much change in the actual prisons. It seems like the people in charge know what's wrong, the question is more of there is a real political will to change things. Anyone have experience in this type of grass roots social change (related to corrections reform or not), and if so, what are the things that worked for you? What are some avenues we could explore to learn more?

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 10, 2015