Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I did enough stuff yesterday that if my boss stops by I can recruit some of that work onto today's team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solus M.D.
Oct 17, 2007

what did i just post?
i have to actually do stuff every day, like a chump

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Elder Postsman posted:

oh my god at my last job there was a guy who would request read receipts for every email, and if he saw you read an email and didn't respond immediately, he'd send another one, or IM you, or come over to your desk. those guys are the worst.

I only use the preview pane to read emails to get around this

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
There's an option to disable / ask before sending read receipts. gently caress read receipts, never send them ever.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

hi, here's that times square ball you needed, i know it's january 3rd but we needed a few days to get it juuuuust right

if your choice is between a ball delivered on jan 3rd and a ball that falls off into the crowd and crushes ten people, then the correct way to handle it is to fire your supplier and find one that has their life sorted out and can do things on time.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bhodi posted:

There's an option to disable / ask before sending read receipts. gently caress read receipts, never send them ever.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Elder Postsman posted:

oh my god at my last job there was a guy who would request read receipts for every email, and if he saw you read an email and didn't respond immediately, he'd send another one, or IM you, or come over to your desk. those guys are the worst.

do these people not have a job to keep them busy from obsessing over who read their emails?

Solus M.D.
Oct 17, 2007

what did i just post?
cjs: some of my kids are sending me revised rough drafts for feedback and they're actually improving :unsmith:

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
people who don't 'get' that email is supposed to be used for async communications are the worst

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Necc0 posted:

do these people not have a job to keep them busy from obsessing over who read their emails?

Management is weird

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
thanks for locking everybody out of a job critical folder because you were "testing something" offshore it

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Bhodi posted:

oh yeah haha if he didn't get read receipts he'd bug you about that too. "why haven't you read my email yet", etc

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Barnyard Protein posted:

people who don't 'get' that email is supposed to be used for async communications are the worst

It's actually to have a paper trail to keep your rear end in the clear when things get hosed up

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

kwinkles posted:

if your choice is between a ball delivered on jan 3rd and a ball that falls off into the crowd and crushes ten people, then the correct way to handle it is to fire your supplier and find one that has their life sorted out and can do things on time.

this is an extreme case with a vanity product. today's needlessly lean hand to mouth manufacturing supply chain leaves almost no room for delays or quality risks. when deciding between one or the other guess which one happens more

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

keyboard vomit posted:

It's actually to have a paper trail to keep your rear end in the clear when things get hosed up

isn't having the email in your "sent" folder enough of a paper trail

Bad Sneakers
Sep 4, 2004

me irl

Solus M.D. posted:

same :smith:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i make the computer do the work

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

carry on then posted:

same

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Elder Postsman posted:

lmao

Solus M.D. posted:

cjs: some of my kids are sending me revised rough drafts for feedback and they're actually improving :unsmith:

:yaycloud:

Bad Sneakers
Sep 4, 2004

me irl

carry on then posted:

i have to write the instructions to make the computer work then write a paper telling everyone why the computer did the thing it did (spoiler: because i told it to) and what it spits out is supposed to mean (spoiler: no loving clue)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Solus M.D. posted:

I do in theory, but the people who had my job before me/who this job was created for were all in the 55+ age range and as you'd expect were way way slower than me at computer things. they had poo poo to do every day, but nobody's figured out just how quickly I breeze through it yet. I do parts of several other peoples' jobs to help out so I don't feel like a total leech :shobon:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Cat Face Joe posted:

needlessly lean

modern business in a nutshell

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

keyboard vomit posted:

The fact that sending a read receipt implies in this context: A) Awareness of the ask, B) Signoff on the task and C) Acceptance of responsibility for the task regardless of any of those being true is why i refuse to ever send one, ever.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

SO DEMANDING posted:

modern business in a nutshell

ain't nothing needless bout these underbudget bonuses for management playboy

:20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux:
:20bux::20bux: :homebrew: :20bux::20bux:
:20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

quote:

Comedy Central has renewed the series for a fourth season, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.
:hellyeah:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

this show makes me feel like eventually he will accidentally goad someone into a murder or suicide or both

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Al! posted:

this show makes me feel like eventually he will accidentally goad someone into a murder or suicide or both

light three candles to alert my unpaid intern to collect the urine

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hello Cat Feces Joseph I'm really drunk again. Fuu fuu fart gently caress hell.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

Alcohol is bad for you

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

bump_fn posted:

light three candles to alert my unpaid intern to collect the urine

the only time I saw the mask slip was when that gas station guy talks about drinking his grandson's pee to alleviate his fear

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

which show is this?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Al! posted:

the only time I saw the mask slip was when that gas station guy talks about drinking his grandson's pee to alleviate his fear

he also almost broke when he met the drunk antique store guy's brother

prefect posted:

which show is this?

http://www.cc.com/shows/nathan-for-you

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

keyboard vomit posted:

Alcohol is bad for you

wrongo

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

my busted pancreas says differently

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

read receipts are why i quit using facebook

people kept messaging me there and there's no way to turn off the loving ✓ Seen 4:20 PM every time you click back into the window. sometimes i don't care to respond to some inane thing or announce my presence

get hosed, zuckerberg

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

cjs: i'm dual laptopping it (i put my little thinkpad on top of the keyboard of my big dell workstation monstrosity)

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Jerry Cotton posted:

stay safe, jerry

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

read receipts are why i quit using facebook

people kept messaging me there and there's no way to turn off the loving ✓ Seen 4:20 PM every time you click back into the window. sometimes i don't care to respond to some inane thing or announce my presence

get hosed, zuckerberg

everyone must know everything about everyone else at all times all at once

this is the future, this is normal and healthy, this is how it should be. connected, whether you like it or not

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
layoff story. i was at a company a few years ago when microsoft shut us down (we were owned by MS), and they brought us all in to our big conference room/theatre thing. it was a few MS hr people, the VP of our entire division (who broke the news to us) and literally every person in the entire company all in the room.

about 10 minutes in to it, the studio head got a phone call from a journalist asking if the layoffs were true, and then several other people started getting texts from game journos and some recruiters. was pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Beast of Bourbon posted:

layoff story. i was at a company a few years ago when microsoft shut us down (we were owned by MS), and they brought us all in to our big conference room/theatre thing. it was a few MS hr people, the VP of our entire division (who broke the news to us) and literally every person in the entire company all in the room.

about 10 minutes in to it, the studio head got a phone call from a journalist asking if the layoffs were true, and then several other people started getting texts from game journos and some recruiters. was pretty good.

ms owned some really good studios, that was a big bummer

• Locked thread