Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Khablam posted:

heavy-set metaphors

I think you'll find that the screenplay is just big-boned. (And has a great personality.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Spergatory posted:

There are plenty of people who have not actually seen Fight Club, believe it or not. Until very recently, I was one of them. I knew about the twist through pop cultural osmosis, but it's easy for me to believe that someone who doesn't consume a lot of media could be insulated from it.

And that is why how they handled it in the show was brilliant because it works both ways. If you have never seen a 'twist' like this it works on a basic level (Wow what a twist!), and if you do see it coming there are so many hints that when the reveal comes it's actually expected and somewhat satisfying that you saw it coming (Wow what a great shout out to the audience when he broke the 4th wall by shaking the camera and saying "you knew the whole time didn't you?"). Honestly I see it as almost a slight of hand magic trick where they are going 'Hey look at all these hints about Mr. Robot' and then are able to pull off other surprises due to you being so focused on that (Darlene especially). The best part is that they don't really dwell on the twist because its not the main identity of the show and they immediately move the plot forward with finale and set up the rest of the series. Again it's brilliant and I can't wait for more.

iraqniphobia
Aug 21, 2003

Spergatory posted:

someone who doesn't consume a lot of media

Yeah, this is why I assume she didn't catch it earlier. She's not dumb or anything, but when it comes to TV she really only knows those WB shows (Buffy or Veronica Mars or Charmed or whatever) and doesn't watch a lot of movies so she's probably just not expecting these twist.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Sam Esmail is going to be directing the entirety of Season 2: http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/mr-robot-sam-esmail-rami-malek-direct-season-2-1201658646/

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
That's great news. I might pick up season 1 if the word is good.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
In case you didn't see the list elsewhere, Mr. Robot received two three Golden Globe nominations. Rami Malek was nominated for best actor in a TV series and Christian Slater was nominated best ghost dad supporting actor in a TV series. No idea if either have a chance of winning, but it's good to see the show get some recognition.

e: :doh: vvv

Shoren fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Dec 12, 2015

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Shoren posted:

In case you didn't see the list elsewhere, Mr. Robot received two Golden Globe nominations. Rami Malek was nominated for best actor in a TV series and Christian Slater was nominated best ghost dad supporting actor in a TV series. No idea if either have a chance of winning, but it's good to see the show get some recognition.

Three. It was also nominated for Best Drama :eng101:

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

Your superior intellect is no match for our primitive weapons!

Ehud posted:

Everyone I know who watched season 1 was surprised about ghost dad.

I think most TV watchers are kind of dumb.

I just finished watching the first season. I had an inkling of the Mr. Robot reveal, but then there are scenes where you see Christian Slater interacting with other people while Eliot's not around, so when the twist came I was like: Whaaaat?

Still enjoyed the hell out of the show though.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Weird, I didn't realize anthology shows were considered under miniseries. Especially since Fargo's 2nd season is a prequel to the first and not disconnected from it. Not that I don't think Fargo should be considered, but it's definitely a grey area of classification.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

I just finished watching the first season. I had an inkling of the Mr. Robot reveal, but then there are scenes where you see Christian Slater interacting with other people while Eliot's not around, so when the twist came I was like: Whaaaat?

Still enjoyed the hell out of the show though.

Yeah, this comes largely from the classic unreliable narrator rather than the shyamalan-style deception via editing/direction. The biggest clue that what you are seeing is the result of Elliot's world-view and not, actually the real world, is the repeated insert of Evil Corp instead of E-corp.
This is quite heavily directed in the first episode, so from the opening I was looking for what else wasn't genuine. There's probably something to be abstracted from when each is used too, but I couldn't be bothered to pick at that level of it.

At the end of the first episode he asks himself whether any of it was real, which should also have the audience asking that question, and concluding Mr. Robot himself (at least) was Elliot.

"But he touched X / we see him do Y" is very much the result of Hollywood style twists that are pretty cheap.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Just binged through this show based on Goon reviews the TVIV poll and it is amazing. I loved Rami Malek in The Pacific and love him even more now.

Put me in the camp of people that suspected the twist but agree with the interview Esmail did with Sepinwall, recognizing it ahead of time didn't lessen the emotional impact at all. Also it did blind me to the twist with Darlene.

I loved so many scenes in this show but one of my favorites was opening the episode after the prison break with Elliot meeting Shayla. Knowing what was coming as a result of that meeting made it so :smith: and :unsmith: at the same time. Amazing TV.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 16, 2015

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Put me in the camp of people that suspected the twist but agree with the interview Esmail did with Sepinwall, recognizing it ahead of time didn't lessen the emotional impact at all. Also it did blind me to the twist with Darlene.

The best part about the Darlene twist is that they weren't even trying to do that with it. That the Robo-Durden twist distracted people from guessing it was total coincidence. It was accidental sleight-of-hand, which is hilarious, because now it's probably going to become A Thing. Use one twist to distract the audience from another. Pretty soon, TV shows and movies are going to have so many twists that the biggest twist of all will be no twist. Everyone will be so paranoid that they'll probably watch the entire end credits sequence just in case a twist pops up at the last minute because COME ON, YOU CAN'T FOOL ME. :tinfoil:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Do we know when S2 airs? I am ready for it.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I loved so many scenes in this show but one of my favorites was opening the episode after the prison break with Elliot meeting Shayla. Knowing what was coming as a result of that meeting made made so :smith: and :unsmith: at the same time. Amazing TV.

This was my favorite scene too in a season of amazing scenes. For some reason this is the scene I think of whenever I think about this show. It was just so heartbreaking. Also, I love Pictures of You and it fit the scene perfectly.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I stumbled on this thread and decided to check it out. After finishing the first episode, holy poo poo.

The cinematography was incredible, Elliot seems like a deep character, and the social engineering was fun to watch. I'm not sure how real the computer stuff was, but it seemed far more believable than most "computer magic" hacking in shows.

Does the quality of the show stay at this level?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I stumbled on this thread and decided to check it out. After finishing the first episode, holy poo poo.

The cinematography was incredible, Elliot seems like a deep character, and the social engineering was fun to watch. I'm not sure how real the computer stuff was, but it seemed far more believable than most "computer magic" hacking in shows.

Believe it or not, it gets better.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Delta Airlines now has the whole series completely uncensored on its flights. A friend of mine just binge-watched half of it on a cross-country flight and then watched the rest on the way back.

iraqniphobia
Aug 21, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

I saw a few articles about a week ago that said they were trying for around the same time as Season 1 airdate which was in late June but it may be a few weeks later, so we might be waiting until July or August.

Max Hammer
Jan 3, 2008

ANTIFREEZE!!!

iraqniphobia posted:

I saw a few articles about a week ago that said they were trying for around the same time as Season 1 airdate which was in late June but it may be a few weeks later, so we might be waiting until July or August.

That is WAY too long to wait for more Rami Malek and Christian Slater goodness, dammit.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

I just watched Comet on Netflix, which was written and directed by Sam Email. I wouldn't say it's similar to Mr. Robot, but you can tell they're related. There are similarly framed shots and familiar music swells. Its got a lovely rating on RT but I really enjoyed it.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Tailored Sauce posted:

I don't think so, cause in that scene Elliot talks about his dad and his death, so it wouldn't make sense if the Mr. Robot personality was in play. I will agree though that his confidence was very different than other instances on the show where he interacts with people.

From a few pages back, but when we saw Elliott hacking his medical file, it also showed that he suffered from mania. Mr. Robot is probably a representation of Elliott in his manic states.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Yes but it the air date will be announced in binary

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

Two big wins last night at the globes, Christian Slater for supporting actor and winning for best TV drama. I know the globes aren't all that "important" but it's still great to see this show beat out heavy hitters like GoT.

I'm actually surprised this thread is so dead, I would have expected more rampant speculation to go on in the downtime between seasons.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Yes but it the air date will be announced in binary

01001101 01110010 00101110 00100000 01010010 01101111 01100010 01101111 01110100 00100000 01110111 01101111 01101110 00100000 01100001 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101001 01111010 01100101 00101110

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Very real. I lost my poo poo when, while talking about how they were going to destroy the servers, they name dropped a Rasberry Pi. "I...wait that's real. And would be what you would use to do that. Wow."

It's refreshing in a TV world of NCIS tech.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

thrawn527 posted:

Very real. I lost my poo poo when, while talking about how they were going to destroy the servers, they name dropped a Rasberry Pi. "I...wait that's real. And would be what you would use to do that. Wow."

It's refreshing in a TV world of NCIS tech.

There's a website, I think it was Forbes, that published an interview each week when the show was airing with the technical consultant on the show, and they would basically explain how every tech/hacking thing in that episode is exactly what you would use in real life, and the creator's insistence that the techniques on the show not be bullshit.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

qbert posted:

There's a website, I think it was Forbes, that published an interview each week when the show was airing with the technical consultant on the show, and they would basically explain how every tech/hacking thing in that episode is exactly what you would use in real life, and the creator's insistence that the techniques on the show not be bullshit.

Except episode one where they have that visual for the servers.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Benson Cunningham posted:

Except episode one where they have that visual for the servers.

My guess is since it's the pilot it was written before a technical consultant was hired onto the show.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

qbert posted:

My guess is since it's the pilot it was written before a technical consultant was hired onto the show.

It was. I think there's another interview where he says that he and the other technical advisor came on when the first episode was done.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I work professional IT, and I can't tell you how refreshing it was to hear accurate terms in correct places during dialog. That and, you know, real-life vulnerability scenarios. Except for Angela not knowing what a rootkit is, :cmon:

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Might be an unpopular opinion but the Tyler Durden aspect of the show prevented me from finishing my rewatch. I don't care about whether it's copied, imitated or just inspired by, it's boring. The thing that makes it worse is that virtually every other thing about the show is perfect. Every interaction Elliot has with any non-delusional character is interesting and intriguing and I want nothing but that in S2.

I tried fast forwarding through all of the delusional parts at first because towards the beginning of the season it would just be one or two scenes an episode that revolved around what you obviously knew was bullshit but towards the end of the season it's up to like half the episode.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Botnit posted:

Might be an unpopular opinion but the Tyler Durden aspect of the show prevented me from finishing my rewatch. I don't care about whether it's copied, imitated or just inspired by, it's boring. The thing that makes it worse is that virtually every other thing about the show is perfect. Every interaction Elliot has with any non-delusional character is interesting and intriguing and I want nothing but that in S2.

I tried fast forwarding through all of the delusional parts at first because towards the beginning of the season it would just be one or two scenes an episode that revolved around what you obviously knew was bullshit but towards the end of the season it's up to like half the episode.

Yeah. Definitely an unpopular opinion. Most likely given how wrong it is.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Is it a fight club moment when he tells you from the get go that he's crazy?

The female character thing is more of a trip. The only real tell is that ballet scene (though some scenes make way more sense in retrospect).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CloFan posted:

I work professional IT, and I can't tell you how refreshing it was to hear accurate terms in correct places during dialog. That and, you know, real-life vulnerability scenarios. Except for Angela not knowing what a rootkit is, :cmon:

I'm not a CJ but a big enough nerd that none of this was a surprise as well. But what about others who aren't familiar with security? Did the realistic approach help in any way, or could they just as well be talking about using GUI interfaces in Visual Basic to trace IPs?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

CloFan posted:

Same. Accurate terms really help with my immersion

https://youtu.be/-rQPdWwv3k8

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm not a CJ but a big enough nerd that none of this was a surprise as well. But what about others who aren't familiar with security? Did the realistic approach help in any way, or could they just as well be talking about using GUI interfaces in Visual Basic to trace IPs?

The scene where they hacked into the prison server by dropping random usbs on the street was hilarious/terrifying to me, because my dad does that exact poo poo in real life all the time. He's got a ton of usb drives he uses that he got from random people handing them out at conferences or whatever, and I try to warn him to be careful about using that stuff, and he always laughs it off.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

CloFan posted:

Except for Angela not knowing what a rootkit is, :cmon:

Have you ever met a Project/Account Manager?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

qbert posted:

This isn't that true though. Sure the terms and techniques are true in a broad perspective, but most of what you see is still bullshit. e.g. Elliot hacking facebook passwords by trying thousands of passwords a second is nonsense. You can head-cannon this into saying he's looked up the username in leaked (hashed) password dumps or such, and is trying to shortcut a bruteforce on that, but largely all his "hacks" against social media are impossible in the manner seen.
There were a few more glaring examples but this one was made such a central theme it was always jarring.

Or maybe I just missed that he was trying to attack a RDP/VNC port to get remote access, but it never seemed like it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

qbert posted:

The scene where they hacked into the prison server by dropping random usbs on the street was hilarious/terrifying to me, because my dad does that exact poo poo in real life all the time. He's got a ton of usb drives he uses that he got from random people handing them out at conferences or whatever, and I try to warn him to be careful about using that stuff, and he always laughs it off.

Yeah, we talked about it when the episode came out, but this is actually a super common way to gain access to a secure system (or, used to be. A lot of companies are training employees against it, at least any that have to go through any PCI Compliance training).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, we talked about it when the episode came out, but this is actually a super common way to gain access to a secure system (or, used to be. A lot of companies are training employees against it, at least any that have to go through any PCI Compliance training).

Apparently it's how the U.S. hacked Iran's nuclear reactors a while back.

• Locked thread