Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Kegluneq posted:

Not if it's a woman saying it, a bit like Nagger. I mean, it's probably best used as an adjective anyway, but when MRAs do it it's meant to sound reductive and dismissive.
Women can be MRAs too though, and I'd say that Tory/'Kip women have a higher chance of being.

How many fedoras does she own?

e: 1994 - Ministers Stephen Milligan and John Smith die in very different circumstances.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Dec 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The problem with using 'female' is the cold, sterile quality to it. A woman can call herself it all she wants but since the full designation would be 'female human being' then it implies she's not a human being. Which, given she's a Tory, is true. She's a female lizard.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Tim Peake just made into in orbit.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Awesome.

I had no doubts, but it's nice to see it confirmed.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

XMNN posted:

I really hate how they're allowed to get away with studiously ignoring the possibility that cuts in funding might have even a tiny detrimental effect on the quality of services. Like, if they genuinely believe that there are benefits to slashing budgets that outweigh the costs then they should make that argument, but they never even acknowledge that it might make things even slightly worse and nobody ever questions them on it.

Another one for the pile of capitalist hypocrisy mentioned earlier: "you've got to spend money to make money" only applies to plucky private investors.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Tesseraction posted:

The problem with using 'female' is the cold, sterile quality to it. A woman can call herself it all she wants but since the full designation would be 'female human being' then it implies she's not a human being. Which, given she's a Tory, is true. She's a female lizard.
I know that this isn't how she used it in her little rant, but it always sounds awkward and a bit childlike to me when people are described on the news as 'women MPs' or 'women doctors'. 'Woman' is the noun, 'female' is the adjective, you should talk more proper :arghfist::mad:

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Good news: the rate of inflation has ticked up from -0.1% to +0.1%. Also, via the graun's business liveblog:

quote:

Low inflation and cheap oil is a double-dose of pre-Christmas cheer for consumers, says Chris Williamson, of financial data provider Markit... Osborne's policies blamed as UK house price inflation hits 7%

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TACD posted:

I know that this isn't how she used it in her little rant, but it always sounds awkward and a bit childlike to me when people are described on the news as 'women MPs' or 'women doctors'. 'Woman' is the noun, 'female' is the adjective, you should talk more proper :arghfist::mad:
If they were doctors who only had women as patients, they would be women doctors.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

LemonDrizzle posted:

Good news: the rate of inflation has ticked up from -0.1% to +0.1%.

Is this negative deflation? :ohdear:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Guavanaut posted:

If they were doctors who only had women as patients, they would be women doctors.

*woman doctor(s). Cf. foot doctor, butt doctor, heart doctor

Gruffalo Soldier
Feb 23, 2013

So you could be a female woman doctor, or presumably a woman female doctor.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I got my PhD in bridge-like card games, I'm a Hearts doctor

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Renaissance Robot posted:

*woman doctor(s). Cf. foot doctor, butt doctor, heart doctor

you forgot vagina doctor

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Dabir posted:

I got my PhD in bridge-like card games, I'm a Hearts doctor

How's your Patience?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

TACD posted:

'Woman' is the noun, 'female' is the adjective, you should talk more proper :arghfist::mad:

Nouns can function as adjectives, it's a standard feature of English. E.g. 'grammar fetishist' :)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Oh dear me posted:

Nouns can function as adjectives, it's a standard feature of English. E.g. 'grammar fetishist' :)
Sometimes the noun/adjective thing is a little politically loaded though, like "I saw a black walking around here last night."

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
A minute of silence please for Dan Hodges Labour Membership.

quote:

I’m done. Yesterday I cancelled my direct debit to the Labour Party. “Why don’t you just sod off and join the Tories“, Jeremy Corbyn’s supporters regularly ask anyone who dares to challenge their rancid world view.

I won’t be joining the Tories. But I am sodding off.

I'm sure he'll never write about Labour again.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
And nothing of value was lost etc.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Like Moses leading the exodus

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Don't forget since he already quit in 2013 this is double quits and thus for sure.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/10277706/Syria-was-the-last-straw-Ive-now-quit-the-Labour-Party.html

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Fans posted:

A minute of silence please for Dan Hodges Labour Membership.

I'm sure he'll never write about Labour again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWLIgjB9gGw

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

feedmegin posted:

The Opera browser had gestures as far back as 2001, it used to be one of their unique things compared to other browsers. Apple in general doesn't invent stuff; it refines what is already out there.

Edit: though even they don't claim they 'founded' ARM. The UK megathread of all places is a weird place to claim that, it's like our one big high tech company.

I meant that they exist as an independent company partly because of them. And Opera had gestures (not the first to have gestures too) but they were not the multi touch pinch and what not else ones you can find on iOS. I mean technically there was CUDA before OpenCL too.

This is all just stupid pedantry anyway.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

What a bold & principled man. I am sure he will be a great loss to the Labour Party. Corbyn should resign, costing us such a bright &...

Do we know when he rejoined the Labour party, out of interest? Was it during the summer or did he just miss one months payment & pretended that was him quitting?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Lol Dan Hodges is an odious little prick and I've no doubt many in the PLP mourn his leaving.

Edit: Dan "David Cameron is the new voice of the centre left" Hodges leaves Labour. A huge blow to Corbyn.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

forkboy84 posted:

Do we know when he rejoined the Labour party, out of interest? Was it during the summer or did he just miss one months payment & pretended that was him quitting?

He rejoined in June to "Fight Jeremy Corbyn" so I guess six months later this is now an admission of defeat.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
When I was a young hormonally-charged teenager loudly breaking up with my girlfriend every time we had a row, I never thought a professional journalist would have a similar relationship with a political party.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Fans posted:

He rejoined in June to "Fight Jeremy Corbyn" so I guess six months later this is now an admission of defeat.

That's really funny. Top work Mr Hodges.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

LemonDrizzle posted:

Good news: the rate of inflation has ticked up from -0.1% to +0.1%. Also, via the graun's business liveblog:

hmmm given the 7% housing inflation i'd say the uk economy never left the normal range

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
This is like when you find out some ancient celebrity died and you think "Wait, they were still alive?".

Isambard K. Brunel
Nov 2, 2011

``...an explosion in the engine room ... would have destroyed a lesser ship''

Dan Hodges posted:

I do have a memory of my dad buying me a toy car, and telling me it was a special present because Labour had won an election. Perhaps it was this link between the political process and personal material gain that set me on the path to Blairism.

Is.. this excellent satire?

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

quote:

The British astronaut will become the country’s first proper person in space when he jets off from Kazakhstan. 

Well now The Independent, I'm pretty sure that Helen Sharman, even though she's a woman, is a "proper person".

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...f-a6773511.html

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Jess Philips is sad that her threat to Corbyn was taken literally by Corbyn supporters. :qq:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Well now The Independent, I'm pretty sure that Helen Sharman, even though she's a woman, is a "proper person".

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...f-a6773511.html

I think that's supposed to be first professional astronaut but they are just bad at words.

Jess Philips however is an oik.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

To be fair, anybody that did take it as a serious threat is ridiculous.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Jess Phillips doesn't get that her saying that she'd try to remove Corbyn because she doesn't like him is the actual issue.

Jeremy Corbyn didn't always vote with the party, but he didn't try to bring the party down either.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I think that's supposed to be first professional astronaut but they are just bad at words.

Jess Philips however is an oik.

So Sharman was what, a lucky amateur?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'm not a huge fan of Jess Phillips but I don't think speaking in terms of "stabbing in the back" vs "stabbing in the front" in politics is a direct threat. She's a poo poo for being the kind of person that is doing far, far more harm than good to her party for selfish reasons but I don't really think she made a direct threat on Corbyn's life, given that backstabbing is a well known political metaphor, going back to the days of Ancient Greece.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

To be fair, anybody that did take it as a serious threat is ridiculous.

I don't think anyone literally believed Jess Philips was going to murder Jeremy Corbyn, however saying you're going to knife someone is what we would probably call "threatening language" were it coming from anybody other than her.

Which is the objection.

Pork Pie Hat posted:

So Sharman was what, a lucky amateur?

She's a chemist first and foremost as far as I know, that she went to space was sort of secondary to her chemistry career whereas I gather the guy going up today was trained intentionally as an astronaut and will be up there longer than a week, I assume?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 15, 2015

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

LemonDrizzle posted:

Rejoice, proles! The cost of living isn't rising.

Well except housing, which is galloping along at 70 times the official rate of inflation, but who cares about a trifle like shelter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I remember a bunch of MP's taking knife emoji's seriously in tweets when they were trying to appear strong enough to bomb children but still sensitive enough to be hurt by twitter sass.

• Locked thread