Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Welp, I voted for 12 people. One was a vanity vote for Sweeney cause Royals. Ultimately I decided Wagner was better than Hoffman, so I left them both off. I regret this already. I shoulda voted for Billy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
My ballot:

Griffey
Kent
Martinez
McGwire
Mussina
Raines
Schilling
Sheffield
Trammell
Wagner

Voted for Kent because in 6-8 years I will be voting for Utley and it seems disingenuous to vote for one and omit the other. Billy Wagner is better than any relief pitcher you compare him to than Mariano.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My ballot:

Jim Edmonds
Ken Griffey Jr.
Trevor Hoffman
Jeff Kent
Edgar Martinez
Mark McGwire
Mike Mussina
Tim Raines
Curt Schilling
Gary Sheffield
Sammy Sosa
Alan Trammell

My heart wants to leave Schilling off but my brain reminds me he was one of the best pitchers of all time.

Also, if you vote Trevor Hoffman or Billy Wagner but leave off Edgar, you're a dumb person.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

seiferguy posted:

Also, if you vote Trevor Hoffman or Billy Wagner but leave off Edgar, you're a dumb person.
I was anti-Edgar for a long time, not because of the DH thing but just on merit. I've been a medium-Hall guy for a while, and I just think he was cusp at best. Then my friend showed me Ortiz's career numbers and they're basically identical to Edgar, plus 200 HRs and 200 RBIs (so 200 solo jacks) and I don't think there's any doubt that Big Papi is a first-ballot guy, so how can a few dingers (and the Kingdome is not as forgiving as Fenway) be held against him?

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
I thought this was the "bitch about hall of fame voters" thread that we used to have and I was having a hell of a time trying to figure out why Bonds and Clemens weren't on the ballot anymore. :(

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Jim Edmonds owns

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

IcePhoenix posted:

I can add him to your vote retroactively if you want.

Please and thank you.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

zakharov posted:

Jim Edmonds owns

Agreed. Even unnecessary diving catches are fun to watch.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
Voted for:

Edmonds
Griffey
Kent
Martinez
McGwire
Mussina
Raines
Schilling
Sheffield
Trammell
Wagner

Went back and forth on Hoffman for a while but ultimately decided against him because I agree with the idea that the bar for relievers should be higher than for other positions and, while he had a great career, it just doesn't really stack up to the other very few relievers I consider HoF worthy.

Also, it probably shouldn't have affected my vote but I felt like I was voting for too many guys and Hoffman was first on the chopping block :v:

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
One "Really Big Hall" ballot submitted.

Closers with tons of boring saves? Jacked up sluggers with 500 HRs and nothing else? 2nd basemen that didn't get along with Lord Barrold? The coolest DH this side of ever? A pitcher with abhorrent views? Everyone is invited!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Curt Schilling's HoF acceptance speech would probably be amazing, because he'd probably reference ISIS, the liberal media holding him back, and how he never took a handout to get to where he is.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

seiferguy posted:

Curt Schilling's HoF acceptance speech would probably be amazing, because he'd probably reference ISIS, the liberal media holding him back, and how he never took a handout to get to where he is.

He'd probably ask for money to fund an exciting software start-up company

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
My ballot (15)
Luis Castillo
David Eckstein #NoHall2Small
Jim Edmonds
Ken Griffey Jr.
Jeff Kent
Edgar Martinez
Mark McGwire
Mike Mussina
Tim Raines
Curt Schilling
Gary Sheffield
Sammy Sosa
Mike Sweeney
Alan Trammell
Billy Wagner

My omissions

These people:

Garret Anderson
Troy Glaus
Mark Grudzielanek
Mike Hampton
Mike Lowell
Jason Kendall
Trevor Hoffman

I don't know who any of these people are. If some of those people are HoFers then no one bothered to tell me.

Brad Asmus

Handsome but can't manage

Randy Winn

Handsome but can't broadcast

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
In his playing days Ausmus was "handsome but can't hit". Good defensive catcher, called a good game, spent a lot of time out on the town nailing cougars

Imasalmon and I once got cursed out by some high school girls because we were booing and heckling him

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

New Concept Hole posted:

My omissions

These people:

Garret Anderson
Troy Glaus
Mark Grudzielanek
Mike Hampton
Mike Lowell
Jason Kendall
Trevor Hoffman

I don't know who any of these people are. If some of those people are HoFers then no one bothered to tell me.

Garret Anderson, Troy Glaus, and Jim Edmonds all played on the same team together. David Eckstein would have done the same except he was too young/bad to crack the roster (although considering who the Angels were running out at shortstop... :barf: )

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

going by people in the hall of fame this is who i think should be in

Jim Edmonds
Ken Griffey Jr.
Trevor Hoffman
Jeff Kent
Edgar Martinez
Mark McGwire
Mike Mussina
Tim Raines
Curt Schilling
Gary Sheffield
Sammy Sosa
Alan Trammell
Billy Wagner

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Can you add Edmonds to mine? Had no idea his OPS was over .900 for his career, that's amazing considering his ridiculous defense too.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
I think I omitted Edmonds, too, because I was trying to overcompensate since he was my favourite player and I thought I was overrating him. Please correct this and add him to my ballot.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Small Hall ballot here. I probably should've also voted Schilling but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pancakes posted:

Small Hall ballot here. I probably should've also voted Schilling but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

Dude's a reprehensible human being but a very strong argument can be made for him being the best postseason pitcher in history (it's either him or Mo Rivera), and that's setting aside bloody sock bullshit.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Timby posted:

Dude's a reprehensible human being but a very strong argument can be made for him being the best postseason pitcher in history (it's either him or Mo Rivera), and that's setting aside bloody sock bullshit.

Talent required for me to recognize it and level to which a player is an rear end in a top hat are inversely related. If Donald Trump could hit like Our Lord Barrold and throw like Sandy Koufax I'd still say he didn't deserve a vote in. I realize that it's the Hall of Fame and not the Hall of Very Nice (see Cobb, Ty) but this is a poll on Something Awful and gently caress Schilling.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Pancakes posted:

Talent required for me to recognize it and level to which a player is an rear end in a top hat are inversely related. If Donald Trump could hit like Our Lord Barrold and throw like Sandy Koufax I'd still say he didn't deserve a vote in. I realize that it's the Hall of Fame and not the Hall of Very Nice (see Cobb, Ty) but this is a poll on Something Awful and gently caress Schilling.
Thats stupid.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Calm down guys it wouldn't be an authentic Hall of Fame voting process if it didn't have a few ballots based on terrible opinions.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

IcePhoenix posted:

Calm down guys it wouldn't be an authentic Hall of Fame voting process if it didn't have a few ballots based on terrible opinions.

I also specifically did not vote for Schilling for non-baseball reasons so we should have this covered.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

angrygodofjebus posted:

I also specifically did not vote for Schilling for non-baseball reasons so we should have this covered.

I did this, too.

I am of the opinion that his historic post-season success should be a point in his favor, though. Some people don't think it should be since it's not during the regular season. He probably should be in the hall of fame but gently caress that guy. The same goes for Pete Rose (let's not debate Pete Rose).

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

tadashi posted:

I did this, too.

I am of the opinion that his historic post-season success should be a point in his favor, though. Some people don't think it should be since it's not during the regular season. He probably should be in the hall of fame but gently caress that guy. The same goes for Pete Rose (let's not debate Pete Rose).

Yeah, Schilling's postseason success is what tipped him into HoF for me. I might have still voted for him anyway but it made it less of a decision, at least. Especially because I can't claim that I wouldn't have let his off field actions cloud my judgement if it was a close call.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If Curt Schilling never made the playoffs in his career I'd probably still vote him in. I think those playoff innings just enrich his career further.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I'd vote for him, but he's the one guy I would vote for who I am kinda happy to see fall short every year, just because he's a gigantic dillhole and I assume not making the Hall of Fame makes him mad.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Another quirk or whatever about Schilling is his Cy Young Award shares; he's got the second most all time among players who've never won the award (1.85, behind Wainwright's 1.97). This is more than several HoF pitchers, including Nolan Ryan, Warren Spahn, John Smoltz, & Don Drysdale (and a bunch of relievers).

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Seeing a few ballots that have McGwire and forego Sosa.

For shame...

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Popete posted:

Seeing a few ballots that have McGwire and forego Sosa.

For shame...

Well McGwire was a way better hitter so

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MourningView posted:

Well McGwire was a way better hitter so

He also didn't have like a four year peak with bad seasons on either side

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Martinez
Griffey
Raines
McGwire
Sosa
Trammel

Was on the fence about Trammel, but he really had a good 1980s from a premium defensive position. Might vote for Edmonds next year.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mr. Fix It posted:

Was on the fence about Trammel, but he really had a good 1980s from a premium defensive position. Might vote for Edmonds next year.

What exactly would make him any more worthy next year than this year?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Sometimes I think I'll come around on Edmonds but then I remember he spent most of his career as an Angel and Cardinal :argh:

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

IcePhoenix posted:

What exactly would make him any more worthy next year than this year?

Just not first ballot material, sorry.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mr. Fix It posted:

Just not first ballot material, sorry.

What does that even mean

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
it means he doesn't want to vote for him the first time he is on the ballot

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MourningView posted:

it means he doesn't want to vote for him the first time he is on the ballot

My point is that the "first ballot prestige" is dumb and he should feel bad :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think it is ok.

• Locked thread