Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Rhyno posted:

Arnie can't even be Veep.

Arnie also would be way less bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Last year I was teaching piano to some kids who had a mother who loved Trump and was so excited that he was running. Didn't bother calling back after the summer. They do exist in the wild folks.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

wallaka posted:

IT is fine, you just have to get out of the computer janitor field and into infrastructure jobs. It's like being a computer mechanic instead, and no flat rate. My customers aren't people, it's the technicians from other organizations. They have at least a superficial understanding of the issue at hand.

Yeah, that's where I see myself heading. I'm in the datacenter end, and you'd expect that the people they're paying twice what I make to be server administrators would be remotely competent, but I've spent more time in the last six months fixing stupid poo poo like 'whoops, we turned off RDP on our SQL server lol'...

I'm turning into a racist as well, every time I see an Indian name on a ticket I know that it's going to be a headache because it is humanly impossible to get an Indian server admin to admit that they made a mistake, even when knowing exactly what they did would make it a five second fix.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 16, 2015

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

WIN AT GLUE http://www.loctiteglue.com/

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Basically the same as their last marketing campaign "just sniff it"

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I followed Loctite's tumblr so I hope it's only a matter of time before Permatex and PB Blaster hire me to be their social media expert.

(eyes roll back in head, starts to natter in dead language about the importance of proper thread sealant)

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Mike Rowe romanticizes the "common man" and the "tradesmen" too much. There's got to be a balance.

This society can't succeed without one or the other.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, that's where I see myself heading. I'm in the datacenter end, and you'd expect that the people they're paying twice what I make to be server administrators would be remotely competent, but I've spent more time in the last six months fixing stupid poo poo like 'whoops, we turned off RDP on our SQL server lol'...

I'm turning into a racist as well, every time I see an Indian name on a ticket I know that it's going to be a headache because it is humanly impossible to get an Indian server admin to admit that they made a mistake, even when knowing exactly what they did would make it a five second fix.

Yeah gently caress servers. I don't have the patience for that. Firewalls and proxies and routers are much easier to deal with. I've done network defense and security analysis too, it can be fun but can be spotty work.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

mafoose posted:

Mike Rowe romanticizes the "common man" and the "tradesmen" too much. There's got to be a balance.

This society can't succeed without one or the other.

Agreed. As an educator, we do push everyone to college, even those that don't want or need to go. However, there's a lot of us that agree with the very simple idea of helping students find their desired path and give them the skills needed to attain it. Want to be a plumber? gently caress yeah, here's what you need to know. Want to be a doctor? Same thing.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

QuarkMartial posted:

Agreed. As an educator, we do push everyone to college, even those that don't want or need to go. However, there's a lot of us that agree with the very simple idea of helping students find their desired path and give them the skills needed to attain it. Want to be a plumber? gently caress yeah, here's what you need to know. Want to be a doctor? Same thing.

Holy poo poo this. I was an RA in college and saw a lot of people who weren't ready for college or should not have been there. I remember one year there was a huge spike in attendance for Freshmen. There was also a spike in students not returning after their first semester too.

I'm all for everyone at least trying out college but also realizing that you might not be ready or it's not where you need to be. Most high schools don't prepare you for college either and that isn't helping the problem either.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Holy poo poo, sometimes people are just gonna throw away a perfectly good electron microscope, and sometimes you're in the right place at the right time to nab it.

(I was not, but the awesome people who help run my hackerspace were)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

got my loving finals done prgbhegbph

solids loving sucked because the 2 things i left off my formula sheet cause we'd spent like 15 minutes on in the lectures ended up being on the exam worth like 18% of the total exam and i struggled with a couple other things

then i blanked on how to do goddamn phasor notation after having to sprint across campus to reach my next exam. i finished solids at 12:46, EE started at 1, because the department in charge of finals scheduling is loving retarded. i spent so much time going over the circuit analysis and op-amp stuff and it was barely there, then the last question was literally "design a band-pass circuit and generate its transfer function in terms of R, L and C." I realize the class is called principles of EE but goddammit that's not what i'm studying to be

gently caress it, whatever, i'm pretty sure all my classes i cant get less than a C and i think most of them are Bs even before curves so i think on the whole ill be alright. i guess im just seeking perfection after decades of being a fuckup and overstressing myself when i merely do well instead.

MrsAdiabatic
Feb 26, 2015

Gotta get up to get Down's

Enourmo posted:

gently caress it, whatever, i'm pretty sure all my classes i cant get less than a C and i think most of them are Bs even before curves so i think on the whole ill be alright. i guess im just seeking perfection after decades of being a fuckup and overstressing myself when i merely do well instead.

That sounds like my internal dialogue now, and I'm not even back into school yet to finish my stupid degree and go about being a real adult yet. Keep the faith, man. I'll be in your boat soon enough.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

nm posted:

Arnie also would be way less bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0ZPaB9wx1w

I'd take an unconstitutional Ahnold president before Trump.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

It's funny how some people just refuse to attack problems with even a hint of logic. We have a receptionist like that. She's super duper nice, but she constantly sends company wide mails that make no sense.

"Please cancel all Tuesday meetings in Meeting Room FooBar!" - you couldn't just look in the loving calendar, and e-mail the one/few individual(s) who booked the meeting room?
"The fire alarm today isn't real." - OK, so today is the day the company won't catch on real fire?
"No staff in reception this afternoon!" - just like any other day this week, as detailed in the mail your boss sent out Monday. But please waste 20 seconds times 150 employees times five days reminding us.

Some day I'm going to be rich off of a device that administers a slight electroshock through a computer mouse when the send button in Outlook is clicked. One shock per recipient of your mail.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

QuarkMartial posted:

There's this weird idea in schools that you need to know what you want to do before you leave because YOU MUST go to university. I would've much preferred a trade school but that was never really given as an option, so I ended up doing college courses and ending up in a university degree course I wasn't interested in purely because it was something I was good at, rather than what I enjoyed.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

My old monitor was too small for Fallout 4 so I got a new one.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

wallaka posted:

IT is fine, you just have to get out of the computer janitor field and into infrastructure jobs. It's like being a computer mechanic instead, and no flat rate. My customers aren't people, it's the technicians from other organizations. They have at least a superficial understanding of the issue at hand.
I couldn't work in 'normal' IT, I'd have left the field by now if I had gone that path. The only phone calls I get are the customer saying they system is down and a quick run down of what they think the problem is. I'm probably 75/25 hardware/software which works out good because staring at or writing code all day wouldn't work well for me. I get to do fun things like use sledgehammers, auto jacks and impact drivers once and a while to fix things :getin:

mafoose posted:

It doesn't help that all my "fun" cars are currently down, or the fact that I've been working on other people's cars every weekend for over a month.
I don't work on other people's cars other than confirming what's wrong or spending a few minutes seeing if I can identify the problem. Did it in the past and never again, good way to end up with other people's poo poo taking up my space and time. Fun cars are either tucked away for the winter or down. Think I'm just going to drop the 320i off at the local shop after the holidays and have them finish up the list of poo poo I really don't feel like messing with.

QuarkMartial posted:

Oh this so much. My brother didn't have any interest in college and wanted to be a mechanic or similar. Instead he got kicked out of college before midterms, bummed around then eventually did a 1.5 year tech program. Of course he didn't do anything with it and is now working a factory job but what a mess.

Sandbagger SA posted:

My old monitor was too small for Fallout 4 so I got a new one.
:perfect: I should really look into this but I'm worried with all the windows, vaulted ceilings and ceiling fans positioning the thing and having it visible would be a pain in the rear end.

On the topic of how the hell is this person allowed to continue working... We have a guy that's been with the company for 30+ years, he's known to be fairly inept and everyone hates working with him but he's safe because the customer likes him and some other thing. The other day we're talking about some of the online training courses we need to take and he's complaining that he keeps failing courses. These courses are open book, open note and pulled almost directly from the text. I mention they aren't bad if you have the course PDF open and copy the knowledge check questions/answers to a blank document. He didn't know how to copy/paste, didn't notice the "CLICK FOR COURSE PDF" button above the begin assessment button and didn't know there were word processors on Linux.

There's also the guy that was hired as a Linux system admin who only had experience in Windows.

Also the people that reply all to every loving email:argh:

edit: automatic case generation flipped out last night, spewed out ~10k invalid cases. Rest of the team trying to figure out how to divide it up I fired up autohotkey and wrote a super basic script. All cases invalidated while we sat and had coffee. I get to be the hero for the day:clint:

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Dec 16, 2015

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Meanwhile, I'm trying to break back into the computer science fields from the manufacturing sector and the invisible barrier of masters degrees to do the most menial computer tasks looms everywhere. I've taught myself how to program in so many different languages and yet I can't seem to get employed programming stuff that isn't a CMM or e-beam welder. I wonder if ditching the oil&gas setup and moving to Austin would be better for a dude with a CS bachelors and a creative/artsy wife. The people there last weekend seemed to be just like us.
E: oh god, does that make us yuppie assholes?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Still haven't heard back abiut my piss test yet. Freaking me the gently caress out.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

mariooncrack posted:

Holy poo poo this. I was an RA in college and saw a lot of people who weren't ready for college or should not have been there. I remember one year there was a huge spike in attendance for Freshmen. There was also a spike in students not returning after their first semester too.

I'm all for everyone at least trying out college but also realizing that you might not be ready or it's not where you need to be. Most high schools don't prepare you for college either and that isn't helping the problem either.

Pretty sure the freshman dropout rare has been over 25% for a long, long time.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Still haven't heard back abiut my piss test yet. Freaking me the gently caress out.

You generally only hear about them if you're caught. Don't go asking about it like a dummy.

They've probably just gone forward with their internal checks and schedule, and the next you'll hear anything is when they need to contact you about something else.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Plus it's also close to the first of the year and most company's hire after the first to make paperwork easier for them.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

Pretty sure the freshman dropout rare has been over 25% for a long, long time.

Not surprised. There's a lot of students who aren't ready for college and it doesn't help that some of the first semester courses are designed for students to fail.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
At my uni we lowered the bar and started accepting so many students that we ran out of dorms, and had to move them to a college a few miles down the road. Of course the returning rate is terrible.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

IOwnCalculus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0ZPaB9wx1w

I'd take an unconstitutional Ahnold president before Trump.

Is there a gently caress 2015 gif in this thread yet?
Because there needs to be.
gently caress 2015, wasn't much good mid year, and it just got worse.
I don;t think I'm ever making it out of the tail spin I started in 2012. There seems to be no way out.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Super Aggro Crag posted:

You should start running now. They've notified the cops due to your positive test, who are on their way to arrest you right now. Go, now! It's your only chance!!!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

mariooncrack posted:

Not surprised. There's a lot of students who aren't ready for college and it doesn't help that some of the first semester courses are designed for students to fail.

With engineering school this occurs the same as any other, but then it's the 200 (sophomore) and 300 (junior) level courses that REALLY gently caress you in the rear end and make you change to business.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I dunno, I did better in 3000 and 4000 level classes than I did in 1 and 2, because they weren't so goddamned boring and I actually did my homework because it was fun.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

The Midniter posted:

You should start running now. They've notified the cops due to your positive test, who are on their way to arrest you right now. Go, now! It's your only chance!!!

That reminds me of the time when cops busted through my back gate at the new house and impounded my partners car. Because of that we couldn't get back to the old house to clean up rubbish, empty bins etc, so some enterprising people noticed the house was vacant, broke in, trashed the place, cased the neighbour's movements enough to burgle them freely. Then cops coming around to the old house while I was there towing my old mazdas, noticing all my old pots and grow lights, searching the place thinking I was growing pot. (I used to grow lots of chilli plants, that's all)
Good times.

Oh, the the house across the road knocking down their old wood/glass "sleepout" extension that all old Perth Australia 2 bdrm houses hve, and building a proper brick house extension, and dumping all their waste in huge pile in the middle of our old front lawn.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 16, 2015

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

kastein posted:

I dunno, I did better in 3000 and 4000 level classes than I did in 1 and 2, because they weren't so goddamned boring and I actually did my homework because it was fun.

Yeah you also built your house over again for funsies

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
I got out of CS because I didn't want to stare at millions of lines of code for days on end, only to have a semi-colon or similar be missing at the end of a statement. The flip side of that is that my business/MIS degree got me into sql, which I'm loving quite a bit and is paying me pretty drat well. :getin:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

ssjonizuka posted:

I got out of CS because I didn't want to stare at millions of lines of code for days on end, only to have a semi-colon or similar be missing at the end of a statement. The flip side of that is that my business/MIS degree got me into sql, which I'm loving quite a bit and is paying me pretty drat well. :getin:

Hmm, how do I get into sql? I remember when I took advanced databases it was pretty fun.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Coredump posted:

Hmm, how do I get into sql? I remember when I took advanced databases it was pretty fun.

It's not too different from any IT job. Get interested and start learning, show willingness/ability to learn and work your way up.

For me, I got intro to sql through school, and my first job out of school was tech support for an EMR which let me dabble some more and start learning how bigger systems run. I just kept diving down that rabbit hole at any opportunity and kept learning. That eventually got me to the position I'm in now (same company, different role) which has me as a development level resource, I'm writing and fixing stored procedures, but also do some performance analysis, etc.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Adiabatic posted:

Yeah you also built your house over again for funsies

It only looks a little like your shed now.

ssjonizuka posted:

My username is '; SELECT * from users; -- ' and my password is ' OR 1=1 OR '

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

kastein posted:

It only looks a little like your shed now.

My username is '; SELECT * from users; -- ' and my password is ' OR 1=1 OR '

<insert XKCD "Bobby Tables" here>

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Can I just vote for Mike Rowe for President?

Hell yes I'd vote for him.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Adiabatic posted:

With engineering school this occurs the same as any other, but then it's the 200 (sophomore) and 300 (junior) level courses that REALLY gently caress you in the rear end and make you change to business.

:v:

naw the content is interesting enough, in my cases the instruction is just as dull as it could possible be, plus all 4 classes are on the same days of the week spread out over 12 hours so its an absolute grind

next semester it the same 12 credit hours but spread out over 5 days, and with the exception of one lab day its all afternoon/evening classes. my classmate with the same schedule bitches about how awful 5 days a week will be and im like "uh dude what do you think life's gonna be like after you graduate and get a job?"

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

As long as we're showing off our course-load dicks:

Should be a fun semester :sun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

The Midniter posted:

Jesus Christ dude, I don't even work in IT but put a trigger warning beforehand, seriously

Sorry for any PTSD.
Must be why I gained 40lbs in 10 years of working here.
User is a known issue in all ways.
Thankfully we have very few of those here.

• Locked thread