Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Did 14inch drink himself into oblivion last night?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Negative, long week on top of becoming roadside assistance to the gremlin last night again.

Exact same issue. Starter sticks on and secondly a rapid discharge of the battery, without an obvious parasitic draw. Warrantying the battery today. Starter didn't stick on when the battery was getting 12.6v or higher from the jumper and alternator, but did when battery was at 10v.

E:got him moving, gremlins at my house today to look at it.

This is half of his road side kit, minus the jack stands, half inch drive stuff, full rolling floor jack, spare brand new shirt and boxers in package, and some other stuff.

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 17, 2015

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Okay riddle me this batman, a battery can go from fully charged to multimeter reading 10.0 across the terminals in the morning and a no start if it is left connected to the cables. If it is disconnected, battery still has the nuts to turn the starter in the morning.

Now take a Snap On multimeter, verify the leads are undamaged, correctly seated, on the right terminals, and the ammeter fuse is good and the ammeter function works by testing it on a flash light battery that was handy, connect it in series and find on both the <2A and <10A amps DC A PARASITIC DRAW OF 0.00A AS MEASURED BETWEEN CABLE END AND BATTERY POST. AND THAT CONTINUING TO MOVE ONE STEP FURTHER AND HOOK THE BATTERY BACK UP AND PULL FUSES AND CHECK AMPS INLINE WHERE THE FUSE PRONGS ARE ON ALL CIRCUITS GIVES US AN ACROSS THE BOARD 0.00A READING.

AND THE CONTINUED STRUGGLES WITH THE STARTER CONSIDERING NOW LITERALLY EVERY SINGLE PART OF ANYTHING REQUIRED AS PART OF THE STARTING PROCESS HAS BEEN REPLACED BETWEEN ONE AND THREE TIMES EACH, AND ASIDE FROM THAT ONE BAD GROUND EVERYTHING SEEMS WORKING NORMALLY TO ME

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You did look at the badge on that car right?

Leave everything except the battery starter disconnected overnight, see what happens.

It might be a maddening intermittent like a door switch only turning the dome light on at random, or the glovebox lamp coming on on days starting with T but only if the moon is full and it is humid out, due to a corroded switch. Seen it happen before.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Or a mercury trunk light switch that only fails closed in the cold because the cold causes the trunk support to buckle slightly enough to tilt it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

14 INCH DEVITO posted:

Okay riddle me this batman, a battery can go from fully charged to multimeter reading 10.0 across the terminals in the morning and a no start if it is left connected to the cables. If it is disconnected, battery still has the nuts to turn the starter in the morning.

Now take a Snap On multimeter, verify the leads are undamaged, correctly seated, on the right terminals, and the ammeter fuse is good and the ammeter function works by testing it on a flash light battery that was handy, connect it in series and find on both the <2A and <10A amps DC A PARASITIC DRAW OF 0.00A AS MEASURED BETWEEN CABLE END AND BATTERY POST. AND THAT CONTINUING TO MOVE ONE STEP FURTHER AND HOOK THE BATTERY BACK UP AND PULL FUSES AND CHECK AMPS INLINE WHERE THE FUSE PRONGS ARE ON ALL CIRCUITS GIVES US AN ACROSS THE BOARD 0.00A READING.

AND THE CONTINUED STRUGGLES WITH THE STARTER CONSIDERING NOW LITERALLY EVERY SINGLE PART OF ANYTHING REQUIRED AS PART OF THE STARTING PROCESS HAS BEEN REPLACED BETWEEN ONE AND THREE TIMES EACH, AND ASIDE FROM THAT ONE BAD GROUND EVERYTHING SEEMS WORKING NORMALLY TO ME

When you were testing for parasitic draw, was the hood open, or closed?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Leperflesh posted:

When you were testing for parasitic draw, was the hood open, or closed?

Were you wearing underwear, or no?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

TELL US THE STORY OF THE MURDER CAR ALL loving READY YOU COCK

*cries*

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

MrYenko posted:

Were you wearing underwear, or no?

My question isn't a joke actually, or random. It's a genuine diagnostic question.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Leperflesh posted:

My question isn't a joke actually, or random. It's a genuine diagnostic question.

So is mine. :colbert:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

DId you confirm the multimeter works after you had it in series with the car, or only before?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Well at least it's not the starter this time.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I might have missed it but did you put a carbon pile load tester the battery?

Id be lookin for poo poo grounds to frame or stupid poo poo like tale lights or fuel pump wiring thats corroded shorted or broken.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

DId you confirm the multimeter works after you had it in series with the car, or only before?

Yeah when the battery in my Protege kept getting drained and i was trying to figure out wtf, my multimeter was confusing the gently caress out of me giving me inconsistent numbers until Kastein (bless his heart) recommended to put a new battery in the multimeter and all was right with the world again.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Or the hood is creating a short but only when it's closed and wet.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I know nothing about gremilns but could it also be a faulty diode?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Preoptopus posted:

I might have missed it but did you put a carbon pile load tester the battery?

Id be lookin for poo poo grounds to frame or stupid poo poo like tale lights or fuel pump wiring thats corroded shorted or broken.

Whatever the gently caress is going on it lit up a disconnected dome light that my buddy freaked out pretty seriously over, considering he's the one who disconnected it and it popped on when he said his car isn't evil, it's just got a hosed up sense of humor.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

leica posted:

Yeah when the battery in my Protege kept getting drained and i was trying to figure out wtf, my multimeter was confusing the gently caress out of me giving me inconsistent numbers until Kastein (bless his heart) recommended to put a new battery in the multimeter and all was right with the world again.

I was going a different direction - tested that it reads current before hooking it to the car, then hooked it to the car, draw was high enough to gently caress up the meter / blow the fuse. I did this when I hosed up the install of the clutch coil on my compressor and had a dead short to ground.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

14 INCH DEVITO posted:

Whatever the gently caress is going on it lit up a disconnected dome light that my buddy freaked out pretty seriously over, considering he's the one who disconnected it and it popped on when he said his car isn't evil, it's just got a hosed up sense of humor.

Thats probably the problem right there, rain water through the roof corroded wiring to the loving light, clearly its getting signal somehow. Also maybe check cigarette light circuit, ive had luck with that one before.

Shootin from the hip and eating discount Tenderloin and noodles out of the pan in bed bro!

no worries we velcro mechanics throw poo poo at it till it sticks.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 18, 2015

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

IOwnCalculus posted:

I was going a different direction - tested that it reads current before hooking it to the car, then hooked it to the car, draw was high enough to gently caress up the meter / blow the fuse. I did this when I hosed up the install of the clutch coil on my compressor and had a dead short to ground.

Nah, I confirmed the fuse's condition from the loud snap crack and tiny flash of blue light when i forgot to swap the leads but went across the terminals in parallel checking DC output of the alternator. Cause I'm pretty sure that fucker instantly fused to everything else around it.

And hell that's just getting into the incompetent parts of today, some random poo poo if I started a tally you'd think I was being paranoid and melodramatic but god drat this car so loving hard

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So I was woken up via 2 questions from a coworker. "If I have to get rid of the Camaro TODAY do you still want it," followed by "can I pick you up in an hour"

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

:f5:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I hope you answered yes and yes.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

14 INCH DEVITO posted:

So I was woken up via 2 questions from a coworker. "If I have to get rid of the Camaro TODAY do you still want it," followed by "can I pick you up in an hour"

Camaro-block in 3...2...

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Im not sure if I just peed in the sink or used the cat to shower with because *Early Cuyler voice* FREE BITCHIN CAMARO, BAY BEE WOOOO*

*for the nausea

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Considering what you have been through with that poo poo, I wouldn't call it free exactly.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
From the pictures you just sent me I think it's a thundercats are go

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

I mean why would she even need such a chariot of the Gods with that sweet sweet base model poverty spec Lancer back from its vacation with her ex who was totally making the payments on it still, pinky swear, you can trust him.

Then, I pulled out my phone and hit shuffle for some tunes cause the radio isn't working lol, and these three songs came on in this order. I thought it was only on album not library until the third song started.

E:vvv ain't showing up on my end despite checking the link, it was Primus - American Life if anyone else has the same issue.

Then I guess I blacked out because somehow I came to in the absolutely necessary aisle at Oreillys about 20 minutes later.

And I'm gonna need at least two kickers and 1500 watts like yesterday, and figure out some way to make the tape deck work because I am the hardest I have been in six months and I must share it with everyone at 140dB of the finest bottom shelf hacked together audio gear that pawn shops have to offer.

And this is just the first of three cases...

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 18, 2015

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Make sure you make the sub housing out of the shittiest diamondplate aluminum you can find, spraypaint everything black and grabber green, and wire the system up with cut-up orange extension cords. Otherwise you won't fit the part of a proper CamaroCamero owner.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
yes yes yes yes yes yes

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Well, didn't expect that. :allears:

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
We need a merica smilies for moments like this. How long till your jamming whitesnake and slamming natty ice while doing a tune up. Because those carbs can't stay in tune if a gun was put to there head

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

threadCamaero Girl delivers!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Wait, you didn't go for the light up green skull knob? I am disappointed. At least tell me you picked up the matching tire valve dust caps!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
ARE YOU A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO RAM FOURTEEN INCHES OF ROCK HARD 100% PURE GOOD OLD FASHIONED FREEDOM STRAIGHT DOWN YOUR THROAT

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Hhhhhhnnnmmmgggggghhh

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
So wait, what happens to the civic?

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
that's all well and good but i don't see a title anywhere in that post

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
:911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
There's some kind of voodoo going on here.

Speaking of which: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ttGgIQpAUc

• Locked thread