Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
d0s
Jun 28, 2004

It's time for cute shooting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

There's a Pocky and Rocky game for the PCE?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's a port of the original arcade game, Kiki Kaikai.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
No Magic of Schezerazade? Arkanoid? Dragon Quest/Warriors? Wizardry? Shingen the Ruler? Most of the Tengen stuff? Baseball Stars? Golgo 13? Wrath of the Black Manta? The Koei sims?

Heck, even Friday the 13th is at least interesting if you read the manual or that boss rear end cluebook PDF someone made.

Lots of other great suggestions others listed.

As much a non NES fan as I am there are some excellent loving games on the NES. It's not my go to machine but it's got some drat fine games on it. Some of the games look more like early Atari ST or Amiga titles than ones on a 1983 machine!

( In other cases there are even C64 games that look better but depends on game and art style. It's not system power as much as art team and programming talent. Though the NES has MMC chips to help it out as opposed to microcomputer demo coders who were savants.)

I'd avoid most computer games ported over though. For every Ultima Exodus and Wizardry you have a Defender of the Crown. Or Ultima 5 which is a DISASTER on the NES. And U5 is one of the greatest RPGs ever made. It is kinda funny that games ported from micros to the NES and vice versa rarely turn out well. poo poo, Castlevania on the Amiga. Should smoke the NES game right? It's basically a Genesis after all. Nope. No it does not. The C64 version is even better.

For North American post Crash 8 bits I would say the NES is honestly the top retro choice all things considered. The C64 comes in second, Master System third, Atari XE fourth. ( Though it was also pre crash since most of the 800 family programs run on the XL and XE lines. Even if the 800 is a better laid out system in spite of not being quite as capable. An XEGS with microswitch buttons and a Model M keyboard hacked in would be pure Bonertown though.)

I'm not sure I can comfortably recommend the Atari 7800, Tandy Color Computer 3, or Apple Iie-c machines though. There are enough issues of cost, software, and hardware that keep em from placing.

Vvvv. Some of those games just require a mod to the cartridge port to allow them to fit. Like sanding or cracking that black crevasse so they fit. I mean in general if you are 7800 ing you are gonna have to open it for an SVideo or Composite mod anyhow. So do both at the same time. And get an Ed Laddin converter so you can use Genesis multibuttons as opposed to the Pro Line. Vvvvv

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 20, 2015

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The Atari 7800 loving rules actually. It has a decent library of excellent arcade ports and can play most 2600 games. Although it can't play Imagic games which means no Atlantis which means maybe it's not worth it after all.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's a port of the original arcade game, Kiki Kaikai.

Yup, and previously the only port of the arcade I had was the MSX2 version which was in all honesty really unpleasant to play (though I played it so much I practically memorized it). PCE version might as well be a real arcade board compared to that

e: if you're considering a 7800 get a colecovision instead

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
To be honest my 7800 gets used exclusively as a 2600. I'd kinda like to see what sort of console Atari would have had ready if the 7800 had released as planned in like 1984, and then they'd made a follow up for the 1986 actual 7800 release.

And for that matter, if the 7800 had launched with the joypads as the default controller instead of the horrid attempt to modernize the 2600 joystick.

d0s posted:

No, don't! There's nothing good to be had there and they break a lot by now. The Colecovision Flashback is a good alternative though, if you want to play most of the good Colecovision games and use a modernized version of the controller that isn't quite as annoying.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

d0s posted:

Yup, and previously the only port of the arcade I had was the MSX2 version which was in all honesty really unpleasant to play (though I played it so much I practically memorized it). PCE version might as well be a real arcade board compared to that

When I finally break down and get a PCE I'll have to pick it up. I love Pocky and Rocky on the SNES.

d0s posted:

What :stare:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Colecovison is basically a MSX and has lots of good arcade ports by Sega, Nintendo, Universal, etc

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
The 7800 is never worth buying. The games are ugly, the controller sucks and the old soundchip makes it sound like the machine is dying.

Most of the game labels and manuels are in black and white and jesus Atari cheaped out on this thing. Get an Atari XE instead.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Anidav posted:

The 7800 is never worth buying. The games are ugly, the controller sucks and the old soundchip makes it sound like the machine is dying.

Most of the game labels and manuels are in black and white and jesus Atari cheaped out on this thing. Get an Atari XE instead.

The 7800 Joypad controller is the best controller on any Atari system though.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Well yeah the 7800 controller is terrible but if you're so far down the retro gaming rabbit hole that you are buying a 7800, you already have some Genesis controllers laying around anywhow. Those are what I use on mine.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Just looked up the Colecovision flashback and it does not include:

Mr Do!
Any Donkey Kong
Ladybug
Turbo
Galaxian
Popeye

So really it's missing a lot of the system's best games, though it's not a surprise the Nintendo titles aren't on there. It has Cosmic Avenger which might be worth it alone, it's pretty awesome for such an early STG and the first one I ever played. It's odd that it doesn't have a cart slot, I was looking at a Genesis one of those at Family Dollar the other day and it did have a cart slot, guess they cheaped out here.

e: I can't defend the CV controller but I'm pretty sure you can just unplug it after you use the number pad to set the game mode and use a genesis/msx/etc controller

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I was going to say that least the 7800 and Colecovision were cheap but apparently they're over $100 each now.

gently caress it, buy a Genesis, the best and cheapest retro console.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Maybe in a world where the SNES didn't exist :smug:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Even genesis hardware is going up because flippers are putting LEDs in them and raising the price by 150 dollars.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Captain Rufus posted:

The Koei sims?

The Koei sims on the SNES were kinda tough. The Koei sims on the NES were pretty unforgiving. Nobunaga's Ambition 1 is exactly as spiteful and impossible as you would expect a game made by someone who locked himself in the basement of his father's company for three years while he singlehandedly coded it in BASIC to be.

Kou Shibusawa may be one of my heroes, but that loving game

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 20, 2015

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Really hate the LED trend, my Duo-R came with a loving color cycling LED and it looks incredibly stupid

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

d0s posted:

Imposing order on your PCE/TG16 stuff has the interesting effect of making it seem completely disordered

:stare: WHERES MY XANEX

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Elliotw2 posted:

I was going to say that least the 7800 and Colecovision were cheap but apparently they're over $100 each now.

gently caress it, buy a Genesis, the best and cheapest retro console.

You can pretty reliably find these much cheaper in thrift stores, flea markets, or Craigslist. There's no need to pay ebay prices for things so relatively common. $20 each, max. If you look in those places you'll be able to find one for $20 within a week.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

d0s posted:

Really hate the LED trend, my Duo-R came with a loving color cycling LED and it looks incredibly stupid

I'm too poor for a duo so I've just been living off hucards which is amazingly under rated. Namcot was a God back then. A god.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

GutBomb posted:

You can pretty reliably find these much cheaper in thrift stores, flea markets, or Craigslist. There's no need to pay ebay prices for things so relatively common. $20 each, max. If you look in those places you'll be able to find one for $20 within a week.

Yeah paid 20 bucks for my 7800. 100 is insane for either of those systems, don't pay that much.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Ofecks posted:

:stare: WHERES MY XANEX

e:

Anidav posted:

I'm too poor for a duo so I've just been living off hucards which is amazingly under rated. Namcot was a God back then. A god.

Yeah you can totally enjoy the PCE with just hucards, and yes Namco was baller back then. Check out the Xevious port if you haven't (actually developed by Compile)

e2: also Dragon fuckin Spirit. it's so good

d0s fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 20, 2015

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
Seriously though. If you 7800 go here: http://edladdin.com/Adapters_c3.htm

FERG used to be a coupon code but I dunno if it still works. 7800 Game by Game Podcast sometimes even has contests for it.

The guy is working on a Colecovision adapter doohickey right now and God bless him for it as the Atgames cv controller is un good.

I count the Colecovision as pre crash but it would be in 2nd place after the Atari 800/XL there. Unless you adore low spec ports of arcade games and lots of interesting dongle controllers. BlueMSX handles it fine and no super game module for MSX stuff. The cv has the best ports of Gorf and HERO though. Like super good. It's Upndown and River Raid aren't as good as the C64 or Atari 8 bit though. SMS has your Montezumas and Choplifter needs.

Also I am gonna have to spend some time restoring 1 Atari floppy drive, and another might need serious work. Or I might just get a Lotharek drive and clear up a lot of desk space. And then not gaf if disks work period. Though at least for the Atari computers no matter what I have a fuckload of carts.

But getting 2 floppy drives and a tape drive off the loving desk would be a way to class the joint up a tad. That way I wouldn't have to keep moving around the Turbo Duo. ( or I can just keep getting these stackable shelf units at Target. 4 of them should suffice for what I might do under the l desk. And then if I set my Win 98 rig properly my DOS rig can get put away too and poo poo will look 20% less nerd ghetto.)

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

GutBomb posted:

This is not the case in my neck of the woods. At all.

When I bought my Coleco last year I resorted to eBay after a lot of searching. One local video game store got one not long after. I've never seen a 7800 in the wild in the last two or so years.

Please buy all of these and ship them to me kthx.

Oh, BurgerTime is pretty much the only game that stays in ours. A solid arcade port, far better than the NES version.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
You know, I think I'd like to get a PC Engine someday. Probably a Japanese one though, as IIRC doesn't the US Turbo Duo go for megabucks? Most of the best games are the CD ones, too.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

If the Lotharek could emulate a cassette tape drive, I would have all of the boners.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

If the Lotharek could emulate a cassette tape drive, I would have all of the boners.

My favourite system for this is the Spectrum, you can just play the games off an mp3 player/pc/anything with an audio out. Its pretty awesome.

Steeling myself towards playing and completing every zelda game, the cdi ones might be tricky.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kea posted:

My favourite system for this is the Spectrum, you can just play the games off an mp3 player/pc/anything with an audio out. Its pretty awesome.

Steeling myself towards playing and completing every zelda game, the cdi ones might be tricky.

The trickiest part about the Zelda CDi games is dealing with the console randomly throwing "DISC MAY BE DIRTY" errors

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Kea posted:

The Bangai-O DS game used this same technique for level sharing; instead of doing online uploads/downloads, it outputs custom levels as an audio file that can be read through the DS' microphone. It was unwieldy and I don't think many people bothered sharing levels online but it's a neat idea (and unlike every other UGC game on DS/Wii, it still works).

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

univbee posted:

Congrats!

And speaking of FF6, the just-released Steam version is janky in a few ways but seems to be the best option short of playing the Super Famicom version in straight Japanese. Music is SNES, Translation is GBA.

I have played this back on the SNES. I have played this on the PS1 and I have played this on the PS Vita. All those versions are great (PS1 and Vita having some slow processing points, but meh).

How anyone can look at the character models in this game and say... 'Wow, they fit right in this world.' is beyond me. They look horrible on the background, their colors do -NOT- match it and look alien to it. Not only that but they look so bad in general. That in itself is an insult to such a great game.

I dont like or dislike how the combat has changed (with the rising combat menus to display who's turn it is by rising and reaching it's maximum height)... it's just the menu is cutoff and you have to scroll to reach some of the options and it seems to unnecessarily take up screen space and the character portrait displayed in that menu is the same ugly model and not a smaller well done portrait art of the character similar to what you see in the dialogue windows.

The return to title option when saving is just a bad design decision. The exit game option should easily be found in the menu where you have status, magic, etc etc.

The resolution settings should include the standard 1080p.

Keyboard and controller bindings in the launcher should be separated from one another. Simple and easily understood with detail.

I so want to recommend this, but I cant. Not like this. It's a phone port, so obviously a phone port. The original game 9/10, this phone port 3/10. This was obviously a slap some cheap, tacky, bad color paint job on and call it a done job. Really an insult to a great game.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

You know, I think I'd like to get a PC Engine someday. Probably a Japanese one though, as IIRC doesn't the US Turbo Duo go for megabucks? Most of the best games are the CD ones, too.

I find myself playing more hucards than CDs actually, even with the fact that there's no copy protection so I technically have every CD game. If you only buy just a core PCE unit for cheap you will not be hurting for good games by any stretch of the imagination, and you can always get a CD-ROM and interface unit later. If you have the cash though definitely spring for a Japanese Duo-R (avoid the original duo, US and JP as they have capacitor issues), it's not even really necessary to get it region modded unless you're into the very few RPGs that made it over here. A region mod was a must for me because I already had a bunch of US TG16 games that I didn't want to rebuy but if you're just starting out you can safely ignore the TG16 side. Japanese games are pretty much always cheaper too.

Look through here and see how much greatness is available just on hucard: http://www.videogameden.com/hucard.htm If the cd-rom was never released this library would still stand up as one of the best in the history of game consoles.

d0s fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 20, 2015

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Anybody here have the SNES Capcom Pad Soldier? Thoughts? I passed one up today for a reasonable price and might go back tomorrow for it

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

shyduck posted:

Anybody here have the SNES Capcom Pad Soldier? Thoughts? I passed one up today for a reasonable price and might go back tomorrow for it

Yes, barring the saturn pad it's the absolute best pad for capcom fighters, imo. It's definitely a love/hate thing tho. If it's cheap give it a shot

d0s fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Dec 20, 2015

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

d0s posted:

e:

Yeah you can totally enjoy the PCE with just hucards, and yes Namco was baller back then. Check out the Xevious port if you haven't (actually developed by Compile)

e2: also Dragon fuckin Spirit. it's so good

gently caress yes. The coin start intro got me so fuckin pumped!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=048nsbJoVVw&t=48s

:circlefap:

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The Bangai-O DS game used this same technique for level sharing; instead of doing online uploads/downloads, it outputs custom levels as an audio file that can be read through the DS' microphone. It was unwieldy and I don't think many people bothered sharing levels online but it's a neat idea (and unlike every other UGC game on DS/Wii, it still works).

It actually works really well and the handful of times I grabbed levels off YouTube worked flawlessly. Just get some earbuds, plug em in to your PC, and hold one of them against the mic. The fact that it's future-proofed in that way is wonderful to me.

But yeah, there aren't that many levels out there, really. But the people who bothered definitely put some time into them.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

GutBomb posted:

You can pretty reliably find these much cheaper in thrift stores, flea markets, or Craigslist.

AhahahahahahahahahahAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Man, does it rain candy where you live, too?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Allen Wren posted:

AhahahahahahahahahahAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Man, does it rain candy where you live, too?

7800 might not be too common but its not like the Colecovision is all that rare.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cliff Racer posted:

7800 might not be too common but its not like the Colecovision is all that rare.

Like I said, that's how I got my 7800. There was also a 5200 for 20 bucks at the same Salvation Army that I still kick myself for not picking up then.

This was the same place where I got Contra 3, Link to the Past, F-Zero, Actraiser and Rock 'n Roll Racing complete in the box for 5 bucks a piece one day (they also had Street Fighter 2 Turbo and Donkey Kong Country but I skipped them) though so maybe some game collector died or something and all his poo poo ended up there over the course of a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
One of the places near me on two separate occasions I got complete in box tiger game.coms for £1 each. I feel ripped off. But not as much as the poor bastard I sold it to on ebay for £20.

• Locked thread