Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

Frosted Flake posted:

Forgive me if I misunderstand, but saying that races need to be kept apart to thrive, have innate traits, and are pure and tied to geographic regions, that's the opposite of liberalism, right?

It's usually white people trying to be "helpful allies" while simultaneously being tone deaf retards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Gammatron 64 posted:

loving lol, General Tso's chicken was invented in America and isn't even Chinese

Jesus, I'm almost glad I graduated in '09 in the worst economic conditions since the great depression so I didn't have to deal with this clowns in college

This poo poo has been going on since at least the mid-90s. '1 in 4 maybe more' and LGBTQUIM and separatist dorms were all over Yale in 94. Interestingly, rape accusations weren't a big thing yet, possibly because bougie nerds had not yet given up on sex entirely.

Opie_Yates
Nov 30, 2010

Adventure Pigeon posted:

I'm glad the university where I work at has food carts. Can't get those at the small liberal arts colleges, sadly. They tend to be cheaper and the food tastes better than anything from the cafeteria. Of course, sometimes there's a bit of food poisoning roulette, but that just keeps things exciting.

Ooh this post reminded me of the grease trucks at Rutgers. Aw man I want a Fat Cat so bad right now..

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
do you think lena dunham has ever said the n word?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

blowfish posted:

8. my English lit 101 module didn't include examples of every single black~~~ author ever

and then when they actually get assigned to read toni morrison they're like "i couldn't read it, i can't relate to this book about black people"

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Nooner posted:

do you think lena dunham has ever said the n word?

Not to food

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Let's burn Oberlin to the ground.

It is place we shall build a new nation, a better nation. A goon nation.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

It's usually white people trying to be "helpful allies" while simultaneously being tone deaf retards

Yeah, pretty much

For example, take this African-American professor of film studies just trying to do her drat job: http://www.salon.com/2015/10/28/i_w..._this_would_be/

quote:

I assigned a reading by Linda Williams, a chapter from her book, Screening Sex. It looked in intimate detail at the first blaxploitation film ever made– Melvin Van Peebles’, Sweet Sweetback’s Badasssss Song (SSBAS). The chapter outlined (with pictures), the plot of the movie and all the sexual acts that were in the film. Williams’ argument is that Blaxploitation and SSBAS arose from a reclamation of masculinity by black men who were historically emasculated and castrated (think of the killing of Emmett Till).

I assumed everyone had done the reading. I showed one of the scenes that Williams’ writes about in detail. Before I screened it, I gave a warning, indicating that it was one of the disturbing scenes to which Williams refers. The scene shows a young Sweetback (played by the director’s son Melvin Van Peebles) having sex with a 30-year old woman. She finds him irresistible and thus starts the hyper-sexual evolution of Sweetback–every woman on earth wants to gently caress him, including a whole bunch of white women. This, of course, is statutory rape. When the lights went on and the scene was over, two students left the room in tears. I was perplexed. I started to ask questions about Williams’ reading, how it felt to read about and then watch the scene, what questions of race and masculinity it provoked. Crickets man, crickets. Clearly no one had done the reading.

Later that day, I had a white female student come to my office hours crying. Between picking up tissues and blowing her nose she said, “I’m doing a minor in African American Studies. How could your first images of black people be that horrible?” I told her that I understood her concerns. I went on to explain how the class was a historical look at sex on screen and as the reading for the class articulated, it was one of the first film’s to show black people having sex and was important to film history. She still didn’t get it. She said I had to show some positive images, otherwise it was unfair, that the other students weren’t African American Studies minors so they didn’t understand race politics as she did. I told her that I would bring a positive image to the next class to address her concerns. Finally, she smiled.

[...]

I also thought about a positive image of black sexuality and sex. I decided to show a clip from The Wire that shows Omar in bed with his boyfriend just after having sex, a tender moment where they kiss. Omar’s character, a black, gay dude who steals from drug dealers, is a revolutionary representation of black masculinity that stands in stark contrast to SSBAS. I was excited to show it. I mean, it’s The Wire: who doesn’t want to talk about The Wire?

I began class by talking briefly about learning through discomfort. The students were silent. I turned to them for questions about moments of feeling uncomfortable and how we could read these as productive. The student who came to my office raised her hand and asked, “Are we gonna talk about SSBAS.”

“Yes,” I said, “but I want us to talk about any of the films that made people uncomfortable. Let’s discuss the discomfort.” Her face fell. She started crying and ran out of the room. Her friend followed her. Right after she left I showed the scene with Omar. Later that day, she came to my office again, sobbing.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Maybe this would all be solved if the lunchroom serves nothing but good ole all-American hot dogs. Don't serve any toppings with the hot dogs except ketchup though, I don't want any people fighting over hot dog toppings after all this.

Sulphuric Asshole
Apr 25, 2003

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Maybe this would all be solved if the lunchroom serves nothing but good ole all-American hot dogs. Don't serve any toppings with the hot dogs except ketchup though, I don't want any people fighting over hot dog toppings after all this.

In addition to being disgusting on hot dogs, ketchup is cultural appropriation of a 17th century Chinese fish paste.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's okay to be uncomfortable. We teach our children that they're special and important and life revolves around them then we're baffled when they demand special treatment as adults and they want everything to be perfect all the time and no one to ever say anything bad lest they burst into tears.

Like drat maybe teach them about getting their self respect and self esteem from within instead of relying on a perfectly constructed fantasy world.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Frosted Flake posted:

For about 24 hours after the Paris shooting YikYak in my fairly liberal city was calling for pogrom against the Muslims lol.

After the Baltimore riots I posted "I am a homo" like 99999 times on yik yak

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Ketchup? Are you insane? It's not a sauce, it's a double cultural appropriation, from Chinese and Aztecs.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I felt like yik yak would be like the little black box in a plane crash and I wanted my last words on earth to be "I am gay"

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Yeah, pretty much

For example, take this African-American professor of film studies just trying to do her drat job: http://www.salon.com/2015/10/28/i_w..._this_would_be/

When I was in school I used to cry and sometimes have to leave the room when there were depictions of the Holocaust and lynchings. But I'm glad that the idea of trigger warnings wasn't widespread back then, because I don't think I'd have been better off if I'd been completely protected from that material.

It's bizarre to me that students who are in social sciences would be allowed to close their eyes to uncomfortable truths. Isn't that what they're there to learn about?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Yeah, pretty much

See, my boss hates the weeping of women, so this chick would not get a job with that attitude.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
There's a woman at my work who cries over every goddamn little thing. Someone asks her to do her job? She cries. Forklift training? Everyone else is done with the practical portion in 5 minutes, she takes an hour of being a sobbing mess to do it. Then she refuses to touch the forklift afterwards and just asks other men to do it when she needs it. She's also 40, obsessed with Disney, and spends all of her dating efforts creeping on younger guys at work who want nothing to do with her, which she then cries about. She calls our program director her "work mom" or just "momma" and has Tinkerbell poo poo all over her desk. It's objectively harder for every other woman who has to work there because of her and she doesn't even have a loving clue what she's doing to make it that way.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Lol what a stupid bitch

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Woden posted:

Whoa, making GBS threads all over my British heritage by omitting the letter u, not cool at all.

gently caress u

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Woden posted:

Whoa, making GBS threads all over my British heritage by omitting the letter u, not cool at all.

poo poo on poo poo is poo poo

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Clochette posted:

When I was in school I used to cry and sometimes have to leave the room when there were depictions of the Holocaust and lynchings. But I'm glad that the idea of trigger warnings wasn't widespread back then, because I don't think I'd have been better off if I'd been completely protected from that material.

i don't understand how you can be such a wuss about the holocaust and yet so courageous about floor pizza

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

MiracleWhale posted:

i don't understand how you can be such a wuss about the holocaust and yet so courageous about floor pizza

i know someone who dropped pizza on the pavement, face first, picked it up and ate it anyway.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

UCR has (had? dunno it's been a few years) some poo poo tier (like literally the same level or worse as my high school cafeteria food) crap in both cafeterias (which always served the same thing) and you only get 1 plate + sides per meal.

UCLA has 3-4 buffet style cafeterias run by actual chefs they hired and the food is no poo poo as good as or better than the average restaurant. I'd drop my friend off there on my way up from San Diego before going on to UCR basically just to hit up his cafeteria. I was also picking up an oz of weed to sell but really I could have done that in SD.

It was good food but it pissed me off every time because my tuition just got jacked up at UCR and ostensibly these are supposed to be public state schools but UCLA and Berkeley get a way disproportionate amount of the money the UC Regents take in.

The cafeteria also had 12-15 brand new (as of our freshman year in 2008/2009) flat screens, and all they ever had on were pictures from around the UCLA campus with a UCLA logo on top just on rotate. Just to rub in that they had the money to burn apparently.

My community college had a kickass grill, double bacon cheeseburger for $5 that was like a pound of meat and enough grease to give you a heart attack just looking at it. Only reason I didn't get fat eating there every day is because I was a teenager.

So I guess what I'm saying is you rich kid fucks get what you deserve from the cafeteria at your shitbag overpriced daycare centers.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

buttcoinbrony posted:

So I guess what I'm saying is you rich kid fucks get what you deserve from the cafeteria at your shitbag overpriced daycare centers.

don't lump me in with these dandy fops, I paid for my education the old fashioned way, one cock at a time

MiracleWhale fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 21, 2015

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Domino's is an American fast food restaurant, producing pizzas which are either named specifically after the toppings, or in the case of well known pizza types; has the toppings you'd expect based on the name. In short, they live up to their basic promise, expectations of quality is another matter entirely. That's pretty different from taking a dish and just replacing the component parts with what is at best rough analogies from your own culinary tradition, and presenting it as authentic. Which as I mentioned, is making a mockery of another people's culture. To the people who don't know the original, the imitation becomes representative of the dish it mimics, turning the "exotic" into merely a remix of their own culture, which is certainly not something to be encouraged. To the people who do know it, the fake is a broken promise, and a reminder that their culture is not worth the effort to even emulate unsuccessfully.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

She looks like an 8 year old

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

buttcoinbrony posted:

My community college had a kickass grill, double bacon cheeseburger for $5 that was like a pound of meat and enough grease to give you a heart attack just looking at it. Only reason I didn't get fat eating there every day is because I was a teenager.

All the rich kids were at UCLA, UCR was for the poorer 'diverse' students. I didn't get into UCLA :negative:

Not that UCR was cheap.

in my defense my year of applicants saw a 30+% rise in applications shattering records of all previous years so my 'pretty good chance' transcript became 'lol nope' :suicide:

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

MiracleWhale posted:

People in the town we grew up in thought my brother and I were Jewish because of the way I would flip out over the Holocaust. I wouldn't stop crying during Life is Beautiful, and Night and Fog nearly caused me to become catatonic. In reality, it was the opposite: my great-grandfather is a Polish war criminal who got away with his crimes. I'm just really sensitive.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

oldpainless posted:

This is why pretty much every country in the world doesn't really want or let non-native people in. Because they come and complain about every loving thing. Name one time a country was improved by letting a whole bunch of foreigners in.

America

:911:

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Clochette posted:

People in the town we grew up in thought my brother and I were Jewish because of the way I would flip out over the Holocaust. I wouldn't stop crying during Life is Beautiful, and Night and Fog nearly caused me to become catatonic. In reality, it was the opposite: my great-grandfather is a Polish war criminal who got away with his crimes. I'm just really sensitive.

people in my town thought I was Jewish because I look like a Jew and love to gently caress jewesses and I like latkes and because of my yarmulke

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Don't forget the side of fried chicken and gravy.

This guy knows what's up.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

Forgive me if I misunderstand, but saying that races need to be kept apart to thrive, have innate traits, and are pure and tied to geographic regions, that's the opposite of liberalism, right?
it's more equivalent to racist theories of the world as brought forth by Nazis, the South African apartheid regime, etc. so yes

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
please don't strawman the sjws they believe race is a social construct

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

All the rich kids were at UCLA, UCR was for the poorer 'diverse' students. I didn't get into UCLA :negative:

Not that UCR was cheap.

in my defense my year of applicants saw a 30+% rise in applications shattering records of all previous years so my 'pretty good chance' transcript became 'lol nope' :suicide:

UCLA= University of Caucasians Surrounded by Asians

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

etalian posted:

UCLA= University of Caucasians Surrounded by Asians

do you not know how acronyms work or

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Blue Train posted:

lolol

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Blue Train posted:

lol

Also its fun when oure taking about UCLA to say it phonetically "Hey do you want to go to a party at Ooohklahhh tonight?"

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

jews fear the samurai

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Please don't smear my waifu Lena Dunham thx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Jastiger posted:

Please don't smear my waifu Lena Dunham thx.

I will smear my cum all over her fat face

• Locked thread