Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

spudsbuckley posted:

My buddy is watching the Christmas episode of this in my house at the moment.

Holy poo poo is this show garbage. Bad teen soap opera mixed with awful monster of the week cheapo superhero dogshit.

It's like something that they used to show on Sky 1 at 4 on a Saturday afternoon as schedule filler.

Y'all do realise that good TV shows, outside and doing literally anything else other than watching this nonsense exists, right?

EDIT: Exploding loving dreidels?!? Is Mark Hammill playing the Jewker in this episode?

It was the worst episode in a while, but thanks for your amazing insight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Watch the bee episode, I want to see your reactions.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It was the worst episode in a while, but thanks for your amazing insight.

Is it usually something better than terribly acted soap opera drama and bad cheap special effects in a show for children designed to cash in on the super hero TV/movie boom?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Your standards must be high.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

spudsbuckley posted:

Is it usually something better than terribly acted soap opera drama and bad cheap special effects in a show for children designed to cash in on the super hero TV/movie boom?

Nah dude you nailed it, nice job got it in one ok cya later.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Rocksicles posted:

Your standards must be high.

They wouldn't need to be for this utter twaddle.

It bewilders me as to how it is so popular. It's laughably bad and not even in a fun way.

Has it really gotten to the stage where people will lap up anything with a Marvel or DC logo on it regardless of quality?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Not everything can be up to the standards of the WWE.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lmao at a guy with a nonzero amount of posts in a wrestling thread talking about the quality of anything ever

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
It's no Mad Men or Breaking Bad, but it's fun to watch and has decent effects despite not being a big name channel.

Thanks for your random opinion on one single episode though.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

lotus circle posted:

It's no Mad Men

thank christcena

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

"Hey guys I watched part of one bad episode with my buddy and just had to drop in here to call you all idiots!"

This guy seems pretty level headed and insightful, we should listen to him.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Invalid Validation posted:

Watch the bee episode, I want to see your reactions.

Rocksicles posted:

Your standards must bee high.

*micdrop*

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
spuds, why can't you Be A *? :(

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

*he exclaims on a comedy forum at 5 a.m."

buddhanc fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 18, 2015

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

spudsbuckley posted:

Exploding loving dreidels?!? Is Mark Hammill playing the Jewker in this episode?

:lol:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

spudsbuckley posted:

Holy poo poo is this show garbage. Bad teen soap opera mixed with awful monster of the week cheapo superhero dogshit.

It's like something that they used to show on Sky 1 at 4 on a Saturday afternoon as schedule filler.

Y'all do realise that good TV shows, outside and doing literally anything else other than watching this nonsense exists, right?

EDIT: Exploding loving dreidels?!? Is Mark Hammill playing the Jewker in this episode?

You know how you bite into a pizza fresh out of the oven and even though you don't think it's that hot the cheese is like a billion degrees and it scalds the roof of your mouth and leaves it all swollen and numb for a week

This take is hotter than that

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

spudsbuckley posted:

Hey guys I hate fun I'm just here to post about it in this thread ok thanks.

PS exploding dreidels loving own so your point is invalid inmediately.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

And now for the complete opposite reaction, here's Kevin Smith having an emotional breakdown while watching the finale from last season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_lGaBPbJLM

God help you if you watch this show on a little computer screen like some kind of savage.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Gonna go ahead and post who I'm thinking Zoom is and see how wrong I end up.

The parts marked with spoilers are speculation, but marked due to them being drawn from comic knowledge. I'm marking them because last topic there were folks who were upset with all the posts that drew conclusions based on comics because they occasionally spoiled surprises:

Anyways, I'm siding with the Zoom is Earth-2 Henry Allen folks.

More specifically it's Earth-2 Henry whose family died and Jay Garrick failed to prevent it, unbeknownst to Jay. As Zoom he's lashing out at a world, a hero, who didn't save them. Upon discovering the multiverse he decides to make the alternate universe version of his son a better hero than the one that failed him. Likely by getting Barry to step up his game, defeat him, and take his speed. But is so far gone that if Barry fails him, he's perfectly willing to kill him, take his speed, and offer the chance to some other Barry Allen who got super speed.

Either that, or he's a speedster Earth-2 Cobalt Blue. Which I hope not. Because Cobalt Blue sucks.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

lmao at a guy with a nonzero amount of posts in a wrestling thread talking about the quality of anything ever

Don't worry, spudsbuckley has really stupid wrestling opinions as well and is soundly mocked in those threads as well.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Rygar201 posted:

I was always more into Kirsten Kreuk or Allyson Mack :shrug:

Allison Mack for lyfe.

So many times yelling at my TV over Clark being an idiot and not conforming to my OTP :(

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

mythicknight posted:

Allison Mack for lyfe.

So many times yelling at my TV over Clark being an idiot and not conforming to my OTP :(

My dad did too, only phrased more crassly :haw:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ruddiger posted:

And now for the complete opposite reaction, here's Kevin Smith having an emotional breakdown while watching the finale from last season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_lGaBPbJLM

God help you if you watch this show on a little computer screen like some kind of savage.

This is the best thing Kevin Smith has ever done.

A grown rear end man crying to a superhero show.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

This is the best thing Kevin Smith has ever done.

A grown rear end man crying to a superhero show.

Maybe ~20 years later we'll find out he pissed himself too.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

McSpanky posted:

Maybe ~20 years later we'll find out he pissed himself too.

Best comment.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I haven't watched season 2 yet, but I'm just popping in to say that season 1 had such a fantastic, emotional payoff in the finale. The season was really strong throughout and had some great spectacle moments, particularly that scene in the first Captain Cold episode where the Flash is running through the derailed train to rescue people. It's baffling to me why DC isn't going with Grant Gustin in the upcoming movies. I was a pretty big fan of Arrow in a guilty pleasure kind of way. I just finished season 3 which seemed a bit weaker than season 2, but goddamn if the Flash wasn't pretty drat strong throughout the first season.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And now Arrow season 4 is good again.

Flash stumbled a bit through the first few episodes, but it's getting back there. The midseason finale was just another episode instead of going big though.

It kind of seems like they're casting a different movie Flash just to make it explicit that it's not the same universe. Or maybe they think Ezra Miller is the next RDJ.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Aphrodite posted:

And now Arrow season 4 is good again.

Flash stumbled a bit through the first few episodes, but it's getting back there. The midseason finale was just another episode instead of going big though.

It kind of seems like they're casting a different movie Flash just to make it explicit that it's not the same universe. Or maybe they think Ezra Miller is the next RDJ.

I can kind of understand it from a storytelling perspective - when they get to Barry Allen and Oliver Queen in the movies, they want fresh and fertile ground to play on without being hemmed in by the continuity from the CW shows. That being said, I feel like they could have their cake and eat it too just by casting the CW actors in the movies but having the shows and movies in independent universes (or different Earths, if you like). I feel like fans of the shows would roll with that. I guess if there's a backlash against Ezra Miller they could always pull some convergence fuckery to recast Gustin if it came to that.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't think production schedules would necessarily roll with that.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Yeah they have a pretty intense schedule. Late nights and early mornings are often reported by the actors and photographers taking pics for leak sites.

I think it's for the better to separate film and tv honestly because it gives different divisions more creative freedom. Marvel kind of bit themselves on the rear end with the connected universe because the movies never mention the tv shows, while the shows are often referencing the movies (even the Netflix shows to an extent, though AoS is more directly connected.) Plus different people are in charge of those divisions so they're not nearly as connected as some claim - the Netflix characters are apparently not at all planned to show up in the movies any time soon.

Supposedly the success of the shows has led WB to recently lift the embargo on characters not being allowed to be shown on both tv and film (which led to Deadshot and Katana from Arrow being removed from the show because of the upcoming movie) so with any hope we'll see more stuff coming out as a result of this. Supergirl for instance isn't shy about making references to Superman's existence without showing him on screen, which is pretty cool.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Any chance they use Vandal Savage being turned to dust as a reason to recast the roll? Because the current guy just isn't strong enough a presence to serve as the big bad. Neal McDonough being so god drat fantastic this season (even if he is just playing Quarles all over again) of Arrow is a big part of why that's recovered from a dull season with a hilariously out of shape Ra's Al Ghul. Even compared to Zoom, who we haven't even really seen, this incarnation of Vandal Savage just doesn't have the kind of presence you'd want. He comes across as creepy stalker hobo, rather than immortal who needs an entire team of time travelling super heroes to defeat.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
One thing I didn't like about Savage was him carrying 40 odd knives around in his jacket. It made him look weak and reliant on tools rather than intimidating like I assume it was intended to. If he had one knife it'd be fine, but the fact he has to carry around so many just in case undercuts the point, since it suggests he thinks he's going to botch it quite a few times and need that many to finish the job. Which isn't intimidating. I do agree that his obsession and reliance on the Hawkfolks makes him look rather sad and opportunistic as opposed to the intelligent and patient caveman playing a long game that is his (at least as far as I'm aware) classical interpretation. Vandal Savage is a terrifying villain because if you beat him he can just go and hide for a century, building his forces and setting pieces in motion while he waits for you to die and there's nothing you can do about that. He's intelligent, patient and stoic and the only thing he really cares about is his plan, as well as being very physically dangerous on top of it. The Vandal Savage in the crossover had none of that. He might change following a defeat, but as it stands, he has no plan, no goal beyond killing the Hawkpeople and he doesn't come across as particularly imposing or even intelligent.

tsob fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 21, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shakugan posted:

Any chance they use Vandal Savage being turned to dust as a reason to recast the roll? Because the current guy just isn't strong enough a presence to serve as the big bad. Neal McDonough being so god drat fantastic this season (even if he is just playing Quarles all over again) of Arrow is a big part of why that's recovered from a dull season with a hilariously out of shape Ra's Al Ghul. Even compared to Zoom, who we haven't even really seen, this incarnation of Vandal Savage just doesn't have the kind of presence you'd want. He comes across as creepy stalker hobo, rather than immortal who needs an entire team of time travelling super heroes to defeat.

Oh yeah sure, and then reshoot the entire season of Legends.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Oh yeah sure, and then reshoot the entire season of Legends.

Lots of shows recast after the pilot episode, and these episodes basically served that function. If they've already shot a bunch of episodes, can only hope he somehow improves, or is killed off quickly. Because he's about as interesting as the dust he was turned into.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I can kind of understand it from a storytelling perspective - when they get to Barry Allen and Oliver Queen in the movies, they want fresh and fertile ground to play on without being hemmed in by the continuity from the CW shows. That being said, I feel like they could have their cake and eat it too just by casting the CW actors in the movies but having the shows and movies in independent universes (or different Earths, if you like). I feel like fans of the shows would roll with that. I guess if there's a backlash against Ezra Miller they could always pull some convergence fuckery to recast Gustin if it came to that.

What I don't understand is how DC expects to have every Justice League character get a proper intro while also fast tracking their shared universe. If they used characters from the Flarrowverse (Flegends of Tomarrowverse?) they would have a popular Flash and Green Arrow to drop right into a Justice League movie. I don't think anything has happened on the TV shows that outright contradicts Man of Steel or the BvS trailer that was basically the whole plot. They also run the risk of fan backlash when Ezra Miller is not as great as Grant Guston or when movie Green Areow doesn't do a fuckin salmon ladder.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I hope all the DC film stuff stays in its own Earth-T (for terrible) bubble and far away from this show.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Shakugan posted:

Lots of shows recast after the pilot episode, and these episodes basically served that function. If they've already shot a bunch of episodes, can only hope he somehow improves, or is killed off quickly. Because he's about as interesting as the dust he was turned into.

I'm prepared to give them the benefit of doubt in this case - lets see Savage in his own show first. Pretty much everyone hated Caitlin and the Sisko when they were introduced on Arrow.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Charles Gnarwin posted:

If they used characters from the Flarrowverse (Flegends of Tomarrowverse?)

Flarrowgends of Constantomorrowverse.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

ruddiger posted:

Flarrowgends of Constantomorrowverse.

those words hurt my brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Next year in s5 flashbacks we find out this is an elseworld where baby Kal El's pod lands on Lian-Yu

• Locked thread