Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

In Negima we probably eventually figure out how to overcome entropy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rodyle posted:

In Negima we probably eventually figure out how to overcome entropy.

Magical girls and suffering

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Gyges posted:

Hers might be the worst version of immortality if she makes it to the end of the universe. Just an endless cycle of the last gasp of reality and then boom, right back to the second to last gasp of reality.

She'd be dead long before that, surely?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
She could easily obtain some secondary form of immortality. It isn't like she is lacking in time or resources to search for one. Mermaid flesh would probably be her best bet, as she wouldn't age but could still die as needed.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I could see Ken waste a few issues on having the group randomly hunt mermaids for comedic effect.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Oo Koo posted:

Well if she can't figure out magical agelessness by then, she can always use her vast wealth to buy a cyborg body like Ikkuu.

Quoting myself from the previous page.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

i think you're all missing the subtly coolest thing about this chapter, and that's that akamatsu used the time freeze as an excuse to have a four-month timeskip within a single chapter

i hope this is a sign of things to come; someone already mentioned it, but i think it would be really cool if, since the entire main cast is immortal, plot arcs take years and even decades to resolve in-universe

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Toxxupation posted:

i think you're all missing the subtly coolest thing about this chapter, and that's that akamatsu used the time freeze as an excuse to have a four-month timeskip within a single chapter

i hope this is a sign of things to come; someone already mentioned it, but i think it would be really cool if, since the entire main cast is immortal, plot arcs take years and even decades to resolve in-universe

Ah, but this latest chapter doesn't count. Because time was literally stopped.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

yeah, certainly, but i'm hoping this is akamatsu sort of testing the idea of doing things like this in the future

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Honestly, I'm impressed neither of them cracked sooner. I'm on good terms with my roommate, but if he was the only person left to talk to on earth I'd be praying for a swift death.

I guess it helps that Kirie is self-reliant, and Touta is too stupid to care. :v:

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

HellCopter posted:

Honestly, I'm impressed neither of them cracked sooner. I'm on good terms with my roommate, but if he was the only person left to talk to on earth I'd be praying for a swift death.

I guess it helps that Kirie is self-reliant, and Touta is too stupid to care. :v:

Stupid is a bit harsh. Touta is simply a "go with the flow" kind of guy.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Is also the intellectual age of a Primary School Pupil.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

Is also the intellectual age of a Primary School Pupil.

No, that's just his actual age. His mental age is a bit more advanced, probably due to all the heavy poo poo he has to deal with.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
He's not any dumber than Nagi, at least. They just don't bother thinking hard about stuff. :v:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Serious Frolicking posted:

No, that's just his actual age. His mental age is a bit more advanced, probably due to all the heavy poo poo he has to deal with.

I'm guessing he was cloned at a level of intelligence befitting his apparent age, not his real age.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
http://www.crunchyroll.com/comics_read?volume_id=389&chapter_num=107.00

THIS WEEK, ON UQ HOLDER: SHENANIGANS
Truly the Love Hina experience. Except this time with magic and crap.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kyte posted:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/comics_read?volume_id=389&chapter_num=107.00

THIS WEEK, ON UQ HOLDER: SHENANIGANS
Truly the Love Hina experience. Except this time with magic and crap.

Well, an increased quantity of magic and crap.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Saw a couple of callbacks to aged up Magical World denizens in the guests staying at the UQ Holder inn in the first couple of pages. Looked like that bounty hunter dude, some of the Adriane knights or their descendants (looks like Emily and Bea there), and the Senator dude from Megalo with the hair spikes. Ah, nostalgia. Probably Ken sticking in some cameos for his old fans, but I'd be really happy if they actually acknowledged them and made an impact in this new series...

Knew there'd be something up with the chocolates as soon as I saw them. Akamatsu used that gag way too often in his previous series...

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Those chocolates are going to drop right off the planet the moment something happens that would beg for their use.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

nftyw posted:

Those chocolates are going to drop right off the planet the moment something happens that would beg for their use.

Hey, those age-candy came in handy you know.

Also, I'm kind of amused that Touta does just love everyone.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

PerrineClostermann posted:

I'm not sure why we'd expect any less different from a descendent of Negi Springfield.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I can live with these sort of Doraemon gadget episodes. Ken does his incidental silly comedy pretty drat well.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

I think it has been discussed before but Touta is a Child Emotionally, he does not appear to have a distinction between kinds of Love. So he is going around thinking Friends = Family = Romance. And as silly as the last couple situations have been they all served as Character Studies for Touta's little group of buddies so be interesting to see how this goes for Karin.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

I'm kind of surprised the chocolates had any effect on him at all, to be honest. He seems like he's that way by default.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Bremen posted:

I'm kind of surprised the chocolates had any effect on him at all, to be honest. He seems like he's that way by default.

The chocolates are just chocolates, she's loving with them for stealing her candy.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I can't check right now, but wasn't the first pages Karen and Touta eating a chocolate and then disappearing?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Gyges posted:

I can't check right now, but wasn't the first pages Karen and Touta eating a chocolate and then disappearing?

They disappeared from that room, meaning they left.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Avulsion posted:

The chocolates are just chocolates, she's loving with them for stealing her candy.

Well, loving with Karin for stealing her candy. Touta is pretty much defined by his lack of shame over anything that comes out of his mouth.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Darth Walrus posted:

Well, loving with Karin for stealing her candy. Touta is pretty much defined by his lack of shame over anything that comes out of his mouth.

He does normally have a minimal sense of self-preservation, though.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

They disappeared from that room, meaning they left.

Going back and finally looking, I missed the "shut" onomatopoeia and interpreted the puff of dust from the closing door as them poofing out of sight. I was expecting either them or Yukihime to be fake and a new magic foe.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

New chapter out.

Man, Touta letting everything out under that truth serum in those chocolates. And now he's been placed in Eva's prison dimension along with Karin until it wears off. Guess we're gonna have a couple of Karin chapters in this arc now.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
"You're Tiny."

This chapter was hilarious.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
If Negima was Ken Akamatsu's publisher telling him he had to make a harem comedy and then him subtly changing it into a battle manga, I have to wonder what that makes UQ Holder. Because this series is basically turning into Love Hina :p

I totally lost it at Mizore's plan backfiring.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I love you most of all, random backpack man.

Has anyone ever been as truly happy at the core at Tota?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mizore is rapidly becoming my favorite character because she really only cares about having fun.

Also Karin is proving to be actually the dumbest member of the crew.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bremen posted:

If Negima was Ken Akamatsu's publisher telling him he had to make a harem comedy and then him subtly changing it into a battle manga, I have to wonder what that makes UQ Holder. Because this series is basically turning into Love Hina :p

I already said that loser :colbert:

Kirie confirmed for still the best

e: added link because I am a petty, petty man.

PerrineClostermann fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jan 13, 2016

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Kirie confirmed for still the best

Yup, Kirie a best, as befitting a Chisame expy. Eva is still top tier though. Mizore is getting up there too.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Bremen posted:

UQ holder is Akamatsu with creative freedom. Dude obviously loves both harem comedies and flashy fights. I'm kind of curious why Kirie is working at the inn though, since she is supposed to be the money maker for uqh.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

This chapter in a nutshell.

As a bonus, how your phone feels when you read this series outside your house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

I'm kind of curious why Kirie is working at the inn though, since she is supposed to be the money maker for uqh.
It's probably some sort of general rule: "Unless you're Yukihime, Holder members pay their rent through manual labor".

• Locked thread