Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Basically the best version of the PC version of Final Fantasy 7 is the port of the PC version to the PS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

havenwaters posted:

Basically the best version of the PC version of Final Fantasy 7 is the port of the PC version to the PS4.

nah, I'd still say the pc version is best but it does require some effort to unfuck itself, though I understand anyone not wanting to bother.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 24, 2015

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of Final Fantasy, other than the ugly new sprites, how is the PC version of 6?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Wintermutant posted:

Speaking of Final Fantasy, other than the ugly new sprites, how is the PC version of 6?

It's perfectly stable. It just depends on whether you care about the graphical and design changes.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I picked up the Legend of Korra game. It's pretty basic but the bending feels pretty great and it's hard without being bullshit.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

voltron lion force posted:

Hand of fate, yea or nay?

I liked it enough to sink about 35 hours into it, the combat's very basic Batman-style affair but there's a lot of variety in the cards which keeps it interesting for a good while.

Wintermutant posted:

The UI is real bad also and designed for phones, emulating the Advance version with a restoration patch is probably a better idea.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

This game is in your discovery queue because it has positive reviews :psyduck:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Psion posted:

This game is in your discovery queue because it has positive reviews :psyduck:

Well it says very positive up there in the top right so it must be true.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I ask this every sale so I'm asking it this time. What sale games are good for zoning out and playing while listening to podcasts?

Current games I tend to play for this are BoI Afterbirth, FTL, Dynasty Warriors games, Magic Duels, and Spelunky. I've tried Euro Truck Simulator but got kind of frustrated with configuring it. I've also tried Don't Starve and Terraria but those never clicked with me.

Ideally looking for a good sim or puzzle game but if there's a Rogue-Like-Like that I've actually missed I'm always down for that.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Dungeon of endless may scratch that rogue like/puzzle itch

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Jibo posted:

I ask this every sale so I'm asking it this time. What sale games are good for zoning out and playing while listening to podcasts?

Current games I tend to play for this are BoI Afterbirth, FTL, Dynasty Warriors games, Magic Duels, and Spelunky. I've tried Euro Truck Simulator but got kind of frustrated with configuring it. I've also tried Don't Starve and Terraria but those never clicked with me.

Ideally looking for a good sim or puzzle game but if there's a Rogue-Like-Like that I've actually missed I'm always down for that.

TOME,CKII, and zone king endless anything.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Kanfy posted:

The UI is real bad also and designed for phones, emulating the Advance version with a restoration patch is probably a better idea.
Can you merge it with some hard mode hack?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Tell me about Reassembly.

It looks like some unholy mix of Flow, FTL, and some PixelJunk game (which is intriguing), but is it any good?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jibo posted:

I picked up TIS-100 this sale and have been enjoying it a lot. Its from the maker of Spacechem and is very much from the same mold, only this time you're solving problems through writing some very simple assembly-esque programs. It's not for everybody; you have to be mathematically inclined to get anywhere in the game and the programming can be intimidating even though there's only about twelve very narrowly defined instructions. But it's also minimalistic which would make it a good podcast listening puzzle game.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Actually, you know what i miss most about the dailies, the ability to at least not have to filter though Steams lovely UI to find stuff. That's mostly why the last few years of sales have disappointed me as more and more heavily advertised 'AAA' games with measly 20% discounts got the daily spotlight when they don't loving need it.

I really hope that they're using this as a test to measure the impact of overall transactions and that if there's a drop they go back to the old system and just change the price drop rule of their refund policy.

I mean it wouldn't be so bad if the homepage was in any way tailored to my purchasing experience and I'm sure that after 7+ years and 861 games (including playtime) they've got enough data on me to know what poo poo i like and don't like. Add in an option to hide stuff like free to play, anime or greenlight garbage and suddenly my homepage and conversion funnel is so much more optimised.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Is it worth the extra $5 to pick up The Witcher 1 & 2 alongside The Witcher 3?

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
I bought Kingdoms of Amalur, and despite it being the most generic fantasy tripe ever I am hella enjoying it because during the literal year I of my life I wasted on WoW, the one thing I hated was having to team up with other players to do things. This is literally perfect for me, and its hella conductive to not really playing a game that requires any kind of focus while you're watching the Inspector Derp on Netflix. I give it both thumbs up. I put it on hard and the fist boss almost killed me, because I was rubbish and didn't dodge right.
This is for the guy who was asking about it earlier.

My early impression is that it is the game to play if you have sorta been toying with the idea of renewing your WoW account or getting into Guild Wars or whatever, but you know that madness and ruin lies that way.

This is safe. This is easy. You can pause it when your wife calls for you. Because it's just you.

I like.

how me a frog fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 24, 2015

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Xelkelvos posted:

If you want, get 2 for $2.99, skip 1.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Kin posted:

Actually, you know what i miss most about the dailies, the ability to at least not have to filter though Steams lovely UI to find stuff. That's mostly why the last few years of sales have disappointed me as more and more heavily advertised 'AAA' games with measly 20% discounts got the daily spotlight when they don't loving need it.
This is why you have a wishlist for any game that you would consider buying if the price was right.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

I legit liked Witcher 1 and only played it for the first time a couple of years ago. Most people will tell you it's janky and aged but honestly I don't really see it, or maybe I just have a high tolerance for the brand of jank Witcher 1 brings. Most people will also tell you Witcher 2 is a lot better but I thought it was the worst game in the series for a number of reasons.

It's only five bucks, might as well take the plunge if you're slightly interested in some character-driven rpgs.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
How is Elite: Dangerous if one is going to use a 360 controller?

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Xelkelvos posted:

The combat in Witcher 3 is garbage, and it is significantly worse in the prequels. Witcher 1 is unplayable poo poo unless you enjoy combat that is the equivalent of solving a rubicks cube. Witcher 2 is only slightly less bad. The way to play the witcher 3 is to put it on hella easy and immerse yourself in a world of rape and aborted fetus demons. Even then be preprared to have a million fetch quests mandated by noncharacters that you could easily force to give you the information you need but though MUST.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Tippis posted:

Tell me about Reassembly.

It looks like some unholy mix of Flow, FTL, and some PixelJunk game (which is intriguing), but is it any good?

I played it a bit a few months back, and it was a fun little diversion. I didn't really feel it was "space", though, I always felt it was more bugs floating around in water droplets. I think someone else said they thought early game spore. I unlocked all the parts and took over the first universe and then I was done with it, which was probably 10 or 15 hours all told. I know others get more into designing flying penises and zooming around with those. There's a mechanic where your designs can get pushed into other people's games, which can be a bit imbalanced when you're trying to figure it out and you suddenly get destroyed by all-conquering player-designed murderboxes.

chappey
Jan 21, 2001

Is Street Fighter V playable in any way now? I know it's had beta periods but I don't know if that was meant for online play or what. Will I be waiting until next year to play if I get it now?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

how me a frog posted:

The combat in Witcher 3 is garbage, and it is significantly worse in the prequels. Witcher 1 is unplayable poo poo unless you enjoy combat that is the equivalent of solving a rubicks cube. Witcher 2 is only slightly less bad. The way to play the witcher 3 is to put it on hella easy and immerse yourself in a world of rape and aborted fetus demons. Even then be preprared to have a million fetch quests mandated by noncharacters that you could easily force to give you the information you need but though MUST.

Sounds like somebody over here was raped by an aborted fetus demon.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

how me a frog posted:

The way to play the witcher 3 is to put it on hella easy and immerse yourself in a world of rape and aborted fetus demons.

Wait, so it's a Berserk game?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

how me a frog posted:

If you just want me to buy a TES game, I already have Skyrim but I'm still leery about TES Online

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Edmond Dantes posted:

Wait, so it's a Berserk game?

Yeah but you play as Guts' embarassing granddad, as opposed ot Guts. Who has a cannon for an arm and is awesome.

Meanwhile Geralt can make green smothies that make him poop better or whatever.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

how me a frog posted:

Posting this right after a glowing review of Amalur? :cmon:

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Xelkelvos posted:

If you just want me to buy a TES game, I already have Skyrim but I'm still leery about TES Online

I don't care what you buy, I'm just saying Witcher 3 is not nearly as great as everyone say it is in my opinion. World and characters fun and good, but it's still janky as hell and in the end it is a loving chore to play. I put it down when I got to a place where there is harpies all over the place that never attack you because they're stuck in the geometry, but advancing requires you to jump which you cannot do if you're in combat mode. Before anyone says it, no, that item does NOT help. You end up running back a ways hoping poo poo resets and you don't get hosed by the jank. This is not fun.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Fun Times! posted:

Posting this right after a glowing review of Amalur? :cmon:

I don't see how "I like it. It's weird but it is the right kind of thing for me." Is a glowing review, but if you think Witcher 3 is anything more than a hella cool card game that makes you go through some irredeemable garbage to unlock the next card battles you and I, we are not, as they say, on the same page, rape fetus monsters or none.

(That's how you know it's deep and adult. Tackling subject matters such as rape. Albeit it does not so much tackle them as throw them in there and handwave it away with a slight welp it's the dark ages of fantasy after all, whatever.)

edit: Kingdoms of Amalur is hands down the better game than Witcher 3.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

how me a frog posted:

I don't care what you buy, I'm just saying Witcher 3 is not nearly as great as everyone say it is in my opinion. World and characters fun and good, but it's still janky as hell and in the end it is a loving chore to play. I put it down when I got to a place where there is harpies all over the place that never attack you because they're stuck in the geometry, but advancing requires you to jump which you cannot do if you're in combat mode. Before anyone says it, no, that item does NOT help. You end up running back a ways hoping poo poo resets and you don't get hosed by the jank. This is not fun.

This guy is dumb and bad at games. Witcher 3 is rad as hell and you wont regret it. This guy likes Amalur for fucks sake.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

This guy is dumb and bad at games. Witcher 3 is rad as hell and you wont regret it. This guy likes Amalur for fucks sake.

Witcher three is for sure the game for you if you like poo poo boring combat you have virtually no agency over. It is not rad as hell at all. It's an overhyped piece of shite that would have been rightfully completely forgotten if it hadn't been mentioned right now.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
If you're looking for gag gifts for the person in your life who already owns Bad Rats I have two suggestions:

-Shower With Your Dad Simulator 2015: Do You Still Shower With Your Dad which is funny for the concept and pixel weiners but is worth playing for the Frog Fractions-esque hidden depths

-Gon' E-Choo!, which looks like a harmless 8-bit arcade game until you realize that the whole thing is based on a furry vore comic that the game links to and is set in a fully-rendered dingy basement for maximum creep value.

BigRed0427 posted:

How is the PC version of Final Fantasy 7?

If you use an Xbox 360 controller then if you poke around the community guides you can find a mod that replaces the obtuse prompts ([CANCEL], [MENU], etc.) with the actual corresponding controller buttons.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

McCoy Pauley posted:

How is Elite: Dangerous if one is going to use a 360 controller?

I use a stick but many in the main Elite thread use pads so it should be fine.

And by stick I mean my old trusty ms sidewinder

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

how me a frog posted:

edit: Kingdoms of Amalur is hands down the better game than Witcher 3.

I take back what I said about the Christmas spirit being alive in this thread. The Father of Lies is present.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I've seen a lot of negativity for Lords of the Fallen but how is it for just a $10 ARPG? It was supposed to be a US Dark Souls but dropped the ball pretty heavily from what I can tell.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

pentyne posted:

I've seen a lot of negativity for Lords of the Fallen but how is it for just a $10 ARPG? It was supposed to be a US Dark Souls but dropped the ball pretty heavily from what I can tell.

It is Satan and will give your children cancer, for you see, it is impossible to enjoy games for what they are, you have to play critically acclaimed games no matter how much they suck, or the world will literally end.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

pentyne posted:

how me a frog posted:

It is Satan and will give your children cancer, for you see, it is impossible to enjoy games for what they are, you have to play critically acclaimed games no matter how much they suck, or the world will literally end.
I wouldn't go that far, but it's mediocre at best. Save the tenbux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Edmond Dantes posted:

I wouldn't go that far, but it's mediocre at best. Save the tenbux.

Hey you are literally the guy who was asking about amalur earlier! You're he reason I bought it. You said something like you might pick it up at the end of the sale if nothing else came up. I'm not gonna ask you if money is tight or whatever but I will buy you an amalur if you like, albeit the combat is mos def worse than lords of the fallen, on account of it being a single player mmorpg.

• Locked thread