Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Hannibal Rex posted:

This is an old article, but I only just read it for the first time, and it's definitely one of the better ones about Dishonored:

Corvo Is Not An Honorable Man

e: might as well add this one too:

The Devil and Corvo Attano

Pretty interesting, thanks for the links.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Post-Golden Cat, I was running around the Hound Pits chatting up the servants and throwing bottles at the aristocracy. I accidentally talked to Lord Pendleton and he remarked "I suppose this means I need to have children. Or recognize some of my bastards."

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I hope you're happy, this thread got me to re-play the game for a few last achievements and to warm up for the DLC I never played.

That said, does anyone have any idea what triggers the "bloody blade" effect that never goes away? I was doing a pacifist run and hadn't even so much as killed a rat and I still got it. I did parry and riposte a few guys before reloading after a botched choke attempt, does the blood effect persist through reloads?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
It's a bug that never got fixed. I think it only happens after you get the blade upgrade; you have to quit and restart the game for it to vanish.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
I actually bothered to beat the trials and they showed me a surprisingly robust combat engine that I would have never really seen otherwise, being too busy sneaking everywhere and reloading when caught. Even the achievements weren't bad, well, except for "by my hand alone". Reach the last wave in back alley brawl? No problem. Having personally killed every single enemy that spawned? gently caress that. Not because it's too hard, but too random. Some waves are fixed, others can have multiple factions. That are hostile to one another. A ruffian and weeper spawned next to each other? The ruffian will of course use his fire breath attack and instantly kill the weeper. Congratulations, you just failed the achievement. Try again? Repeat for 4ish hours before the stars finally aligned for me.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Didn't have a lot of trouble with By My Hand Alone. It took me much longer to get Daredevil and 3 stars on expert Bonfires.

I recently learned a new fun fact about tallboys: A single, well-placed springrazor is enough to take one out, since it can blow all three of their oil tanks at once.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Do you even get those in back alley brawl? I would just blink over them to set up aerial kills. Seems like less of a hassle.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Suspicious posted:

Do you even get those in back alley brawl? I would just blink over them to set up aerial kills. Seems like less of a hassle.

You don't even need to blink. The double jump gives just enough height to aerial kill from the ground.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah if you're not garbage, right fellow commentators? :colbert:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Orv posted:

Yeah if you're not garbage, right fellow commentators? :colbert:

not pushing that button is the hardest thing i've ever had to do

also, HAVE A THING:

The Royal Physician, part 2 (High Chaos): Youtube Polsy

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

One of the guards will talk about how great the big spinning wheel is and how important it is to never let it stop, but he doesn't react at all if you shut it down.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
The games coolguye and i play are full of the least aware guards in the dimension.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Which is demonstrated when Corvo shared a moment with that guard in front of the painting.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I never played the city trials DLC but maybe I should.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

omeg posted:

I never played the city trials DLC but maybe I should.

Will endorse, this thread has me wanting to play again despite the sale giving me like 6 new games to worry about.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I'm still trying to understand how people miss the Rasputin inspiration in Sokolov's design. There's definitely a lot about Sokolov's character (so far) that is very similar to Rasputin, so I would not be surprised if Sokolov is eventually revealed to be the queen's secret-but-not-really-secret lover or if he can chug poison and walk it off. Granted, Sokolov doesn't seem to be able to summon demons and/or isn't secretly a cyborg yet, so we'll see.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Coolguye posted:

not pushing that button is the hardest thing i've ever had to do

also, HAVE A THING:

The Royal Physician, part 2 (High Chaos): Youtube Polsy
The worst thing that RoboKy could have done to that woman is save her from those rats, let her feel hope, and then summon more rats. Bonus points if she hops down after you clear the rats out.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Should have thrown all the corpses next to her and then peaced out. Now the rats have no reason to divide their attention. :unsmigghh:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

AradoBalanga posted:

I'm still trying to understand how people miss the Rasputin inspiration in Sokolov's design. There's definitely a lot about Sokolov's character (so far) that is very similar to Rasputin, so I would not be surprised if Sokolov is eventually revealed to be the queen's secret-but-not-really-secret lover or if he can chug poison and walk it off. Granted, Sokolov doesn't seem to be able to summon demons and/or isn't secretly a cyborg yet, so we'll see.

corvo is the secret-but-not-secret lover so that part's covered at least

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The real question is if Sokolov travels to Mars and has to be saved from Martian possession by Warren Spector. :colbert:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Nah. The real question is whether Sokolov will be the subject of a funny disco song.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Sokolov is equal parts Rasputin and Leonardo da Vinci. He's a legit genius, and all those devices the city watch is using to try to kill Corvo are his inventions, plus all the paintings he did. And his clash with Piero is very much Edison versus Tesla.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Nah. The real question is whether Sokolov will be the subject of a funny disco song.

So- So- Sokolov
Dunwall's famous glory hog...

It's hard to rhyme his name.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

His name, it is Anton, Anton Sokolov
There's not an invention he did not think of

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

The talk about Herbert West brought this song to mind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BnOUOkcr9c

I'm mildly saddened that it wasn't brought up during the Reanimator chat.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Did this Sokolov develop any giant robots? He might have!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Speedball posted:

Do the Tallboys count, because he probably designed those

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

JT Jag posted:

Do the Tallboys count, because he probably designed those

They're more like powered armor than giant robots. A step in the right direction though.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Speedball posted:

He doesn't have a monocle that attaches to his earring, doesn't count.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Just finished my own Clean Hands Ghost playthrough. A lot of savescumming occurred. I did get to have a little fun, because I would murder the person who spotted me, then reload while his head was flying away. I'd also duel all the assassination targets, reload, and do them nonlethally. Although I didn't get the High Overseer like that, I started with the Pendletons because one spotted me as I was trying to pickpocket him. :v:

Also, while Coolguye has trouble with heights, for me it's underwater segments. I was panicking a little during a section of the game that hasn't been covered yet, because there's an underwater safe that, thanks to forgetting to save, I needed to do three times. :krakken:

e: And I didn't get Strong Arms until like the very last bone charm you can even pick up. I was stuck for a good half the game with a bunch of white rat things because nothing else was even vaguely useful. :argh:

Dareon fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 24, 2015

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Dareon posted:

Just finished my own Clean Hands Ghost playthrough.

Same here but I had to do it twice because the clean hands trophy didn't trigger. Who ever decided that you couldn't use the restart mission option should be loving killed. Same goes for the arsehole who put the same condition on the trophy for finding all of Sokolovs paintings.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Which is demonstrated when Corvo shared a moment with that guard in front of the painting.
Out of all the things Roboky did in that mission, that was the best. I just imagined Corvo sneaking up, looking up at the painting, nodding a few times, then calling the guy an art snob before shanking him.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Dareon posted:

e: And I didn't get Strong Arms until like the very last bone charm you can even pick up. I was stuck for a good half the game with a bunch of white rat things because nothing else was even vaguely useful. :argh:

There's One bone charm in the game that has a random seed on loading from a saved game.

Specifically, the one you find in the overseer's workshop, clamped in the vise. Savescum for Strong arms, laugh like a maniac, choke out everyone forever. Problem solved.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 17, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The Royal Physician - Low Chaos: Youtube Polsy

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

The only natural evolution of Sara is Suprem Elf of Projectile Puking.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'm so grateful for this LP. :allears: Was Sokolov's death a bug or can Possession induce heart attacks?

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

AlphaKretin posted:

I'm so grateful for this LP. :allears: Was Sokolov's death a bug or can Possession induce heart attacks?

I believe he got caught on one of the lamps on the side of the elevator as it was going down, and his 'just got possessed' animation bumped him into it and then fall damage took over. And since he's technically a civilian, he probably has minimal health so he just dies.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Holy poo poo, I did not know you could cause dudes to projectile vomit. This is the best LP.:allears:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I had no idea you could possess people to remove wale oil tanks. But it does make so much sense. Except for the other guards not caring that one of them suddenly jerks up, starts shuffling towards the tank, removes the tank and then continues shuffling away out over a ledge and disappears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Pssst. Coolguye. The second time you tried to walk Sokolov all the way down via Possession, you forgot to open the cage for the doomed lady.

Also holy crap those possession bugs where guys died. Golden.

If only that happened in a High Chaos run. You could have kept it!

• Locked thread