Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
eBay turned to poo poo by doing a couple of bad things:

First, they made it so sellers can only leave positive feedback for buyers (if they choose to leave any at all), even if the buyer completely screwed over the seller. Buyers can still leave negative feedback for sellers though.

Second, they added Buy It Now for sellers, so not everything is an auction anymore. Sellers can literally keep putting the same crap up at ridiculous prices over and over again without incurring any more fees. They figure some idiot will eventually buy it for the price they're asking, and unfortunately, they're probably right.

eBay is geared completely toward buyers these days. If you sell there, you do so at your own risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i dunno i got my cousin an 8 track tape

i mean it was only like a dollar and shipping

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

OctoberBlues posted:

Do you get charged for auctions that no one bids on? I assume not because of all these loving stupid auctions. Seems like a 10% fee of your listing price if no one bids would clean things up. I guess you could have a friend bid, but you'd still lose out on fees.

I think you pay the base listing fee whether it sells or not, but I haven't sold anything on eBay in years so idk.

I do know that years ago I had to eat a double listing fee when some Nigerian scammer bought something I was selling and I had to relist it.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

max4me posted:

i dunno i got my cousin an 8 track tape

i mean it was only like a dollar and shipping

That's a great album

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

The_Franz posted:

I think you pay the base listing fee whether it sells or not, but I haven't sold anything on eBay in years so idk.

There technically are listing fees but if you are even a vaguely active seller they toss like "1000 free listings this month" at you like crazy, so they usually don't apply

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Its always good for used music equipment. I've bought a few synths on ebay over the years and saved thousands.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
OP notice the one thing that every item you listed has in common? No one has bid on any of it.

Its nothing new that people over value their junk on ebay

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Their global shipping program is really convenient for the US seller because he just has to send his defective poo poo to Kentucky and then ebay sends it to Canada at the buyer's expense for twice what it'd normally cost. It sucks for the US seller when that defective poo poo is mailed directly back to him and he gets assessed an import tax at his own border because the buyer refused to lie on the customs declaration.

The prize is a steaming poo poo, and everybody wins!

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist
I bought a basically new laptop with viruses for $100 about 6 years ago because I searched for "labtops" and people are stupid.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

ebay has been poo poo since like 2003 op

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Imo ebay has gotten better and amazon is way worse. I stopped using amazon when I got a defective item and amazon told me to take it up with the seller. What loving seller? Their whole 'marketplace' system is a crock of poo poo. If you take my money I expect you to provide support. Not Best1electronic who wants me to ship my poo poo to china out of my own pocket. Don't even get me started on Prime. Hmm yes let me pay $85 a year to find out nothing is actually prime eligible. Also gently caress them in the rear end for waiting 8 days and then overnighting my poo poo because I only paid for ground shipping, even though they clearly have the logistics in place to ship overnight to my city by default.

At least sites like B&H are still around and have basically the exact same prices.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

revmoo posted:

Imo ebay has gotten better and amazon is way worse. I stopped using amazon when I got a defective item and amazon told me to take it up with the seller. What loving seller? Their whole 'marketplace' system is a crock of poo poo. If you take my money I expect you to provide support. Not Best1electronic who wants me to ship my poo poo to china out of my own pocket. Don't even get me started on Prime. Hmm yes let me pay $85 a year to find out nothing is actually prime eligible. Also gently caress them in the rear end for waiting 8 days and then overnighting my poo poo because I only paid for ground shipping, even though they clearly have the logistics in place to ship overnight to my city by default.

At least sites like B&H are still around and have basically the exact same prices.

Sorry you can't read product descriptions. It's pretty easy to tell if a product is sold by Amazon or a 3rd party.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
lol if you dont think anything is prime eligible.

ive bought so much poo poo and all of its been prime.

what the gently caress are you buying?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Buy Amazon Prime and get access to movies and music!*

(*You're not eligible for those.)

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Wasn't one of the shia lebouf transformers named ebay or something...?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

ive bought so much poo poo and all of its been prime.

what the gently caress are you buying?

Things that I can't drive to Target for like a non shut-in. If you actually try to order any remotely "specialty" item it's nearly guaranteed to be non-prime.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

JakeP posted:

OP notice the one thing that every item you listed has in common? No one has bid on any of it.

I know, that was really my only point in creating this thread. I don't buy anything on ebay, I used to buy random crap back in the mid-late 2000s because I could find poo poo like the stuff I listed at a fair price. I basically used it as an online Goodwill store. But yesterday, on a whim, I decided to check it out again and discovered that there is essentially nothing listed at a fair price anymore. It seems ebay has developed a culture where there is little point to a seller trying to get a fair price because they have to assume they are going to get screwed over on things from time to time and that is built in to their prices, inflating them.

Plus people have gotten dumber and refuse to accept that what they have is worthless, so they call it vintage and mark it up 4000%. I am sure this has always happened to an extent, but it seems to be the norm now.

I do use Amazon a lot for new items, but I guess I didn't realize they also let people sell random crap like a garage sale. What's the best way to search for that stuff? I check the "used" tab on a search and it seems to be showing me new things that are Prime eligible, so....

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

flakeloaf posted:

Buy Amazon Prime and get access to movies and music!*

(*You're not eligible for those.)

Lmao I take it you haven't actually looked at their movie selections if you think that poo poo is a value-add in any way.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ebay is good for one thing and one thing only - aftermarket Milwaukee Brewers souvenir bobble-heads

Look, it's Bud Selig! http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-MILWAU...-gAAOSwT6pVlH~i

If you covered up the name plate I bet you could pass him off as Bill Gates.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I actually own this bobblehead and it was consistently one of the highest priced ones back in the day, I have no idea how much it is actually worth now though because idiots keep listing it at $130 and it doesn't sell.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Doug-Mientk...O8tQsx_pEnQUqIg

edit: I am still pissed off because Josh Beckett was supposed to start the game those were given out at for the Marlins and he was scratched with a goddamn blister.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
I bought a custom made leather jacket on ebay a month ago for like $150. It's loving great.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I used to use Ebay for 3 things: Magic the gathering cards (back in 1997), phones, and car parts.

I stopped buying MTG cards in 99.
Phones I buy off swappa now.

In conclusion: Ebay is only good for car parts.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

I fuckin hate the buy it now feature, does that make me weird

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

down n out posted:

Craigslist for local deals, Amazon for well priced new goods. Ebay still uses PayPal too, ughhh.

and used.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

bradzilla posted:

ebay has been poo poo since like 2003 op

That's when they banned nazi uniforms.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
My eBay story:

I burned an upgrade on my cell plan and got a new SGS4 (for $200). At the AT&T store they opened it and made sure it was working, but other than that it was untouched. I sold it on eBay, brand-new for $650.

Buyer gets it, gives me positive feed back and then a week later submits a claim that the LCD is leaking. Before I can do anything, eBay/Paypal takes the money out of my Paypal account and tells the buyer to ship it back to me. I have no input in this situation. I get the phone, and see that it's clearly been dropped and the phone is just smashed. I open a claim, and eBay makes me get a police report. I go to a station, one is just a block away) and the officer looks at me like I'm an idiot. I explained to him five times what happened, and the report says "sold broken phone to claimant." I ask him to change it to accurately reflect my situation, and he says "whatever" and never does.

I send it to eBay, and they end up 28 days later refunding my money, which then takes another 14 days to actually hit my paypal account.

So, I get the money for the sale, and then I have the broken phone. I call my credit card, and they have damage protection on purchases. I clearly explain the situation to them, eBay and everything, and the lady is like I don't care, we'll just refund you the $200 you purchased the phone with, and you can keep it and do whatever you want with it.

I take the phone back to AT&T and pay them $200 to get a replacement device, and then I sell the replacement on eBay for $650 as well.

Those of you keeping track at home:

-$200 (buy phone)
+$650 (sell phone)
+$200 (warranty)
-$200 (repair)
+$650 (sell replacement phone)

So I pocketed around $1200 by selling a phone twice, after eBay fees and all that, it was around $1000. Took me a few hours to sort it al out, but even at 10 hours, it's still $100/hr.

Not too shabby.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

My eBay story:

I burned an upgrade on my cell plan and got a new SGS4 (for $200). At the AT&T store they opened it and made sure it was working, but other than that it was untouched. I sold it on eBay, brand-new for $650.

Buyer gets it, gives me positive feed back and then a week later submits a claim that the LCD is leaking. Before I can do anything, eBay/Paypal takes the money out of my Paypal account and tells the buyer to ship it back to me. I have no input in this situation. I get the phone, and see that it's clearly been dropped and the phone is just smashed. I open a claim, and eBay makes me get a police report. I go to a station, one is just a block away) and the officer looks at me like I'm an idiot. I explained to him five times what happened, and the report says "sold broken phone to claimant." I ask him to change it to accurately reflect my situation, and he says "whatever" and never does.

I send it to eBay, and they end up 28 days later refunding my money, which then takes another 14 days to actually hit my paypal account.

So, I get the money for the sale, and then I have the broken phone. I call my credit card, and they have damage protection on purchases. I clearly explain the situation to them, eBay and everything, and the lady is like I don't care, we'll just refund you the $200 you purchased the phone with, and you can keep it and do whatever you want with it.

I take the phone back to AT&T and pay them $200 to get a replacement device, and then I sell the replacement on eBay for $650 as well.

Those of you keeping track at home:

-$200 (buy phone)
+$650 (sell phone)
+$200 (warranty)
-$200 (repair)
+$650 (sell replacement phone)

So I pocketed around $1200 by selling a phone twice, after eBay fees and all that, it was around $1000. Took me a few hours to sort it al out, but even at 10 hours, it's still $100/hr.

Not too shabby.

drat someone tried to front and u made the system ur bitch lol

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Ebay's pretty good for guitars and stuff. If you know what you're doing you can get decent used stuff for dirt cheap, or sometimes a new guitar from some tiny store that's undercutting MSRP just to get business. Other than that, you can't beat amazon.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

drat someone tried to front and u made the system ur bitch lol

Living two minute from the police station helped. I was able to just walk down in the evening and sort out the most time consuming part, getting the report, in just a few minutes. If maybe I had to take time off form work and spend all day, it would have been more of a hassle. I also had before/after pics of the device, but eBay didn't care, they just took my word for it.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

In my experience, credit card companies are awesome, I pity people who don't pay for everything with a credit card. As long as you pay your statement in full every month, they'll pretty much refund you anything without even asking questions.

I have had the same experience with amazon.com, they have refunded me and reshipped so much goddamn stuff for me.

I should note in both cases everything was completely legit, except a couple times Amazon refunded me and I got the item like a week later and didn't tell them, but I'm sure they would have told me to keep it anyway.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

OctoberBlues posted:

In my experience, credit card companies are awesome, I pity people who don't pay for everything with a credit card. As long as you pay your statement in full every month, they'll pretty much refund you anything without even asking questions.

I have had the same experience with amazon.com, they have refunded me and reshipped so much goddamn stuff for me.

I should note in both cases everything was completely legit, except a couple times Amazon refunded me and I got the item like a week later and didn't tell them, but I'm sure they would have told me to keep it anyway.

When I called AMEX, I specifically told them all the details and didn't omit anything, and told them my plan to repair and resell, and the lady was like "dude, it's $200, do whatever you want, we don't care."

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OctoberBlues posted:

Do you get charged for auctions that no one bids on? I assume not because of all these loving stupid auctions. Seems like a 10% fee of your listing price if no one bids would clean things up. I guess you could have a friend bid, but you'd still lose out on fees.

You get charged a listing fee unless you pay eBay monthly for a premium seller account or whatever.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

When I called AMEX, I specifically told them all the details and didn't omit anything, and told them my plan to repair and resell, and the lady was like "dude, it's $200, do whatever you want, we don't care."

Amex is dope and totally worth it. Depending on your card you can call them and ask for all sorts of crazy poo poo and they'll do it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I had a guy buy something from me recently and "pay" using an eCheck that bounced, then when I waited nearly a loving week for it to clear it bounced a second time. So after messaging him and being too polite about it I canceled and returned the useless eCheck and blocked him from bidding, then it turned out the guy had been doing this for dozens of auctions within a two-week period. And the funniest part was that he was getting flooded with positive feedbacks saying what a deadbeat he was, which didn't matter because they were still positive feedback. I messaged eBay telling them about it, I assume others did too and he eventually got banned. I'm actually surprised any action was taken against him at all.

Your system is broken if somebody could go on in perpetuity being a piece-of-poo poo buyer who has 200 positive feedback that's all stuff like "BUYER IS A LOWLIFE SCAMMER" and "THIS GUY WILL RIP YOU OFF".

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I ordered a card shuffler on amazon on Christmas, paid for same day shipping, even though it clearly told me it wouldn't arrive until the 26th. I was fine with that considering I was ordering on Christmas. Like at noon on the 26th I see they sent it to the wrong state but according to the tracker it would still arrive on that day. It never arrived and the tracker note said it'll be there on the 28th.

Naw nigga, I paid for save day shipping not whenever the gently caress y'all get your poo poo together shipping. Amazon refunded me the full cost and shipping fees and said to keep the item.

Card shuffler was a piece of poo poo that didn't even work.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

I got a 500 dollar pair of boots for 50 bucks.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Carmant posted:

I got a 500 dollar pair of boots for 50 bucks.

Ask your dad what a "pink sock" is

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

Ask your dad what a "pink sock" is

I know what that is I'm an adult.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
gently caress the retro bubble

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPER-MARIO-BROS-DUCK-HUNT-with-cosmetic-flaws-NINTENDO-2-GAMES-ORIGINAL-NES-HQ-/262182348934?nav=SEARCH

This game was literally a cent, now is 15 bucks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Nintendo-SNES-System-Console-With-2-Controllers-/371508577542?nav=SEARCH

120 dollars for a goddamn SNES that was like 50 a few years ago

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-CD-Model-2-and-Sega-Genesis-Model-1-System-Bundle-Tested-Working-/321796749401?nav=SEARCH

A loving sega CD for 130 jfc

Just buy local the retro boom is a piece of poo poo and eBay is the worst offender

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

You don't get it man, that one cart has two games on it. You're getting two entire games for the price of two, but they're on the same cart. Think of the time you save, and that shelf space!

• Locked thread