Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

darealkooky posted:

never knew wtf 'offensive crouch' was or how it was different from regular crouch

I've only seen it used as notation for the KoF games that have quite a few command normals that are done with that input.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Got the dp down, thanks. one more te2 question. The buttons are angled to the center of the stick which seems weird. When i go to bar lp and lk with one finger i catch the edge of mk sometimes because of the angle. No big deal ill adapt but i cant figure out why they put it like that instead of making them straight or angled the other way to match the direction my hand comes in from.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Corbeau posted:

My biggest complaint about the beta's keyboard layout was the inability to rebind [up] to the spacebar instead of W.

Well, it was the lack of rebinding any actual keys, but up was the worst offender.

I'll be surprised if any PC port issues are fixed by launch.

Skychrono posted:

You guys are pretty picky. Any thoughts on Tekken 7?

Movement is bad

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Because it's incredible.

Technically I guess it's ASD[space] but whatever.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

AnonSpore posted:

I've only seen it used as notation for the KoF games that have quite a few command normals that are done with that input.

I saw it on a lot of official sticks/how to play things from capcom for SF2 even though I'm pretty sure there isn't a single move that uses that input.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Skychrono posted:

It'll be fun when they finally bring it out of asian arcades.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

Got the dp down, thanks. one more te2 question. The buttons are angled to the center of the stick which seems weird. When i go to bar lp and lk with one finger i catch the edge of mk sometimes because of the angle. No big deal ill adapt but i cant figure out why they put it like that instead of making them straight or angled the other way to match the direction my hand comes in from.

I don't know if there's a design purpose other than it looks nice but I think most people tend to key those sorts of inputs with two fingers which is easier to do if the buttons are offset.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Pomp posted:

I'll be surprised if any PC port issues are fixed by launch.

They're totally boned from a "bringing new players to the fighting game community" perspective if they release a PC version where you can't remap the keyboard controls though.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

darealkooky posted:

I saw it on a lot of official sticks/how to play things from capcom for SF2 even though I'm pretty sure there isn't a single move that uses that input.

Chun-Li's flip kick is oc. HK

Krakhan
Oct 13, 2005

I see you.
Same with Dhalsim's slides in Super Turbo as oc.K. Defensive crouch + K gives him his short range low pokes.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Woozy posted:

I don't know if there's a design purpose other than it looks nice but I think most people tend to key those sorts of inputs with two fingers which is easier to do if the buttons are offset.

Ill try that out. Thanks

Foulbrood
May 17, 2004

This is it, Jonesy!
Any good sites or google documents with combos for all characters in the SFV beta?

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Try https://combosumo.com

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Combo sumo doesnt seem to remove things that were nerfed out of the game. I hope they start fresh for release or else there will be dozens of incorrect combos in there.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Skychrono posted:

It's a good Tekken.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

I got a te2 but now i cant do a dp. Stick is tough

Welcome and enjoy. I love the feel of a weighty stick controller on my lap

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

Welcome and enjoy. I love the feel of a weighty stick controller on my lap

weighs a ton. :feelsgood:

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
http://shoryuken.com/2015/12/29/capcom-devs-talk-street-fighter-vs-depth-plans-for-2016-and-more/

A new interview with the guys behind SF5. Apparently the battle designer is Woshige, who famously is a Guilty Gear player who stood up too early and got bopped for it?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

InnercityGriot posted:

http://shoryuken.com/2015/12/29/capcom-devs-talk-street-fighter-vs-depth-plans-for-2016-and-more/

A new interview with the guys behind SF5. Apparently the battle designer is Woshige, who famously is a Guilty Gear player who stood up too early and got bopped for it?

Woshige is one of the best Millia players of all time and it's sad that he's famous in the west for losing off a big mistake

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

I guess we could always use the "Woshige can't count" meme to explain SF5 frame data and damage values.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
he should commit

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

Woshige is one of the best Millia players of all time and it's sad that he's famous in the west for losing off a big mistake

He's the reason I play Millia in Xrd

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

AnonSpore posted:

also it's hilarious a millia player is the battle designer for a game with no setplay or offensive options

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

Sarchasm posted:

I guess we could always use the "Woshige can't count" meme to explain SF5 frame data and damage values.
Alternative explanation: he makes SF worse, so more people play GG. Looking at this thread, I think he is succeeding.

quote:

Woshige: Yes. This is similar with anti-airs. Moves that are good as a jump-in generally increase your hurtbox as well, before the hitbox expands. If you just have the right timing against an anti-air, you should be able to beat it with any character. There are a lot of fine details like that, in areas where you won't be able to see it with your own eyes.

4Gamer: While playing during the beta test, I wasn't really able to beat my opponent's jump-ins, which gave me a lot of trouble... I suppose this means "Practice more", huh? Haha.

Woshige: You're going to have to play the game quite a bit before you find this "depth", I'm sure, and I understand that a lot of people are concerned because they haven't been able to find this depth yet.
What is he trying to say?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Doggboat posted:

Alternative explanation: he makes SF worse, so more people play GG. Looking at this thread, I think he is succeeding.

[url=http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2015/dec/30/no-plans-huge-street-fighter-5-balance-changes-until-after-capcom-cup-2016-situational-judgement-will-determine-player-skill/]

Get good, in nice terms

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Doggboat posted:

[url=http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2015/dec/30/no-plans-huge-street-fighter-5-balance-changes-until-after-capcom-cup-2016-situational-judgement-will-determine-player-skill/]

Probably suggesting "there's a right way to AA you didn't figure out."

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip

Doggboat posted:

That Jill Valentine will realise her dream of being top tier in Street Fighter V

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

it's just different not worse you just need to get used to it and play in the air more so you dont trip as often

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Doggboat posted:

Stop trying to understand the game on an advanced level from a collective 10 days experience?

I'm fine when people say they don't like sf5 because it didn't rub them right, it being objectively bad before it's released feels like a load of 3rd strike was the last great street fighter I'll never play sf4, or ST was the peak in SF, gently caress 3rd strike.

Hell people thought viper was bad in vanilla sf4 for a good while IIRC, and people on SRK forums were saying vergil would be a worse dante, (and even as bad as I was at marvel I could see that dude was retarded)

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 31, 2015

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
in a sense, none of those opinions turned out to be wrong

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Doggboat posted:

he's saying he thinks he made jump ins more viable by having them beat late anti airs because the hurtbox on a jump in attack shrinks over the course of the animation so if you don't catch it at the right time you get hosed.
it probably should promote being more aggressive since only opponents who get lucky or know what they are doing will be able to aa you reliably.

Edit: gently caress i meant hitbox not hurtbox i think. Always confuse em

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 31, 2015

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
who deemed jump ins should be more viable in street fighter?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Pomp posted:

the guy that made that official combo trailer where they all start off jump ins

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Pomp posted:

Probably the same people who added 15 grappers and 2 zoners to SFV.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Real hurthling! posted:

he's saying he thinks he made jump ins more viable by having them beat late anti airs because the hurtbox on a jump in attack shrinks over the course of the animation so if you don't catch it at the right time you get hosed.
it probably should promote being more aggressive since only opponents who get lucky or know what they are doing will be able to aa you reliably.

Okay, after re-reading that conversation (and re-typing this post) like 5 times I have no loving clue what he's actually trying to say. It sounds like he's trying to say that you should be able to beat basically any jump in with any character if you time it properly as they have a hurtbox that expands before the hitbox does but the bad phrasing makes that really confusing and I don't know how that's actually supposed to work since you have no control over when the jump-in person actually presses the button? I don't loving know.

e: in response to your actual post he doesn't say anything at all about a shrinking hurtbox, just that the hurtbox expands to the animation before the hitbox actually does.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Conveniently, Bafael put out a video on close anti-airs in SFV; I think he also put out a Ryu BnB video recently.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
gonna stop people from jumping in with 40 damage and no frame advantage

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Pomp posted:

gonna stop people from jumping in with 40 damage and no frame advantage

Xrd anti-airs;

http://a.pomf.cat/kllucz.webm

SF4 anti-airs;

http://a.pomf.cat/ehyezu.webm

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

SectumSempra posted:

Stop trying to understand the game on an advanced level from a collective 10 days experience?
I wouldn't call anti-airs "advanced level".

Garrand posted:

I don't know how that's actually supposed to work since you have no control over when the jump-in person actually presses the button? I don't loving know.
Maybe he's telling us: play GGplay a character with an air grab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Sin could easily have killed off a counter hit at that risc level with no meter

• Locked thread