Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

At SGDQ the Isaac random run sucked rear end and then the runner showed off a run with a known seed and he just instantly got all the items and killed everything without any effort. So it's a lose/lose situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DoctorStrangelove posted:

At SGDQ the Isaac random run sucked rear end and then the runner showed off a run with a known seed and he just instantly got all the items and killed everything without any effort. So it's a lose/lose situation.

the hilarious thing is, with Azazel he didn't need a seed

playing as Azazel basically makes the run marathon safe because you and fly and you have a brimstone attack

done, you win

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Yeah, frankly Isaac just isn't a good speedrun either way.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Im pretty sure i could do 20 runs in a row tonight with azazel and beat every boss without breaking a sweat with the exception of like, Hush

and you don't even have to do Hush in the marathon

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
BoI races are fun to watch with good players going head to head and usually best of 3.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Yeah, frankly Isaac just isn't a good speedrun either way.

Which is weird because there are plenty of RNG heavy runs that are good.

Spelunky, for example.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its because going for speed in BoI means skipping tons of upgrades which ends up making the later bosses take forever to kill. So by going fast you end up going slower if your luck isn't good. Its pretty dumb from a speedrunning perspective.

Spelunky has a shitload of RNG but Olmec is always gonna take pretty much the same amount of time to kill.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Crain posted:

Which is weird because there are plenty of RNG heavy runs that are good.

Spelunky, for example.

probably because even if the RNG fucks you in spelunky for items, you still have most of the tools you really need to beat the game

with binding of isaac you are basically actually building out the basic capabilities of your character throughout the game and if RNG fucks you, then you're hosed

*pretend i posted speedrun drama here*

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I don't understand the appeal for the player of speedrunning a game where the RNG can just decide whether to hand you a freebie or not

Getting good at Isaac sure, there being a lot of skill involved in decision-making and how you respond to the luck of the draw sure, but using who beat it at the fastest as a measure of that skill makes no sense

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Eonwe posted:

probably because even if the RNG fucks you in spelunky for items, you still have most of the tools you really need to beat the game

with binding of isaac you are basically actually building out the basic capabilities of your character throughout the game and if RNG fucks you, then you're hosed

Yeah. RNG is good for speed runs, it gives something to work around. Games with no RNG/variance get run out way too fast and are boring. But you need the right kind of RNG.

Eonwe posted:

*pretend i posted speedrun drama here*

I refuse :colbert:

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I don't understand the appeal for the player of speedrunning a game where the RNG can just decide whether to hand you a freebie or not

Getting good at Isaac sure, there being a lot of skill involved in decision-making and how you respond to the luck of the draw sure, but using who beat it at the fastest as a measure of that skill makes no sense

BoI is a fine speedrun, we're talking almost purely about it's suitability to a live event where you get, basically, one shot at reaching the goal. At a GDQ you're not so much doing a real life speed run as you are filling a time slot. You're programming, akin to a TV show. You don't want a run that's going to fail hard and go way under or over estimate.

Crain fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 2, 2016

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Is Golf a boring run to watch or something? I feel like Big Jon's Lost Level runs were pretty popular, so why not give the man his Golf run?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Was wondering when this thread would be posted.

The first day alone has Super Monkey Ball, Kirby 64, and Super Mario 64. This is gonna be a good marathon.

symbolic fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 2, 2016

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Rorus Raz posted:

Is Golf a boring run to watch or something? I feel like Big Jon's Lost Level runs were pretty popular, so why not give the man his Golf run?

I think he messed up registering. But so did a lot of people because GDQ chose some weird restrictions for when they posted things and set deadlines.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

but using who beat it at the fastest as a measure of that skill makes no sense

Which is probably why that's not really the point of speedruns. The time it took to beat the game is a measure of that and only that and only really correlates player skill increasingly loosely in games with lots of rng.

Crain posted:

I think he messed up registering. But so did a lot of people because GDQ chose some weird restrictions for when they posted things and set deadlines.

No Golf just got flat out rejected because Golf is kind of a boring run. Big Jon is great, Golf really isn't.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Which is probably why that's not really the point of speedruns. The time it took to beat the game is a measure of that and only that and only really correlates player skill increasingly loosely in games with lots of rng.

No Golf just got flat out rejected because Golf is kind of a boring run. Big Jon is great, Golf really isn't.

Oh ok. Which golf game is this? Just "Nintendo Golf"?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Big Jon makes Golf fun.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
You can have a good speedrun of a RNG-heavy game if the test of skills is more towards adapation and making the best with what you've got over rote memorization and practice. I don't think even someone really good at adapting to what BoI throws at you can always have a consistent, watchable run, though - and that's the problem with having it at the marathons. The race we had last marathon probably should've been with the same seed honestly though for consistency and closeness' sake.

Rorus Raz posted:

It's pretty boring standalone and coasts completely on his personality, but personality's never been the primary consideration for a run's inclusion in a marathon + with how many runs fought for inclusion this year, even a short run of such a visually and strategically uninteresting game just loses out hard comparitively

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

He preemptively called out the management over this at SGDQ. There are so many other lame runs this year it's kinda dumb that they won't just throw this guy a bone.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

He preemptively called out the management over this at SGDQ. There are so many other lame runs this year it's kinda dumb that they won't just throw this guy a bone.
I want another TTYD run. The fastest times are now under 4:30:00 so it probably wouldn't be another near-6 hour run a la SGDQ 2014.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Are the TTYD tricks any more consistent now? I remember them being incredibly ridiculous run breakers last I paid attention to that game's strats.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Speaking of popularity I'm surprised they didn't accept an Undertale run.

I actually don't know if one was even submitted though.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Crain posted:

Didn't that game only come out 3 months ago?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Yeah, but it's still hugely popular. I think the current runs are about 2 hours long.

Does GDQ have a restriction on new games?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

3 1/2 months, yeah. Definitely too little time to map out an effective run.

e: Never mind, saw Crain's post. Maybe no one just feels confident yet that they have a run completely locked-down.

flatluigi posted:

Are the TTYD tricks any more consistent now? I remember them being incredibly ridiculous run breakers last I paid attention to that game's strats.
I'm not too big into speedrunning beyond the GDQs, but apparently Almo just broke the record two weeks ago with a time of 4:19:35. Here's the run if you want to check it out.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Crain posted:

Undertale wasn't submitted because Toby Fox specifically requested that it not be at a GDQ.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Undertale wasn't submitted because Toby Fox specifically requested that it not be at a GDQ.
Oh, really? Any stated reason why?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Which makes sense, given you miss pretty much everything that makes the game good when you speed run it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
There would be like only 2 parts of the game watchable if you try to take the fastest route, because the rest of the run would be a lot of grinding and not fun to watch. That probably has something to do with it. I think Toby may have stated he wasn't a big fan of certain RPG speedruns, but I could be wrong about that.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I imagine Undertale will eventually show up, but Toby probably didn't want it to be run so soon after release.

Maybe SGDQ 2016? It'd be a shame to let its popularity go to waste.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Yeah it's a great game but in ways completely opposed to it being a good speedrun so I can definitely understand it being a really bad fit. This is all he's said on the subject though as far as I'm aware and I think it was from when it was blowing up but not showing exactly how hard it was blowing up so that could also have influenced his thoughts on it a lot.

edit:

Dr. Fetus posted:

There would be like only 2 parts of the game watchable if you try to take the fastest route, because the rest of the run would be a lot of grinding and not fun to watch. That probably has something to do with it. I think Toby may have stated he wasn't a big fan of certain RPG speedruns, but I could be wrong about that.

The fastest runs do a neutral playthrough with a lot of killing for fastest time IIRC so you wouldn't even see the parts I think you're referring to.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
its a bad speedrun because the main reason the game is good is the stuff you wouldn't really see in a speedrun

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Dr. Fetus posted:

There's really no grinding in Undertale (other than genocide runs, and that's not grinding for exp sake).

But yeah, I can see Toby not wanting a heavily story oriented game being at GDQ.

Although there are some funny built in fight skips, so it kinda works. And if they can figure out how to skip certain triggers for dialogue chains it can get pretty short.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

voltcatfish posted:

I want to say I read ultrajman was asked to not come back but I don't think that's actually true
i hope it was because of that loving game of thrones parody game

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Rorus Raz posted:

Maybe SGDQ 2016? It'd be a shame to let its popularity go to waste.

On the other hand he probably doesn't want the people who haven't played it to experience if first via a crappy speed run because of that popularity.

...though you'd get a ton of people donating just because of it though. Difficult choice.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I don't understand how they can turn down Golf with bigjon but allow loving Minecraft 100% achievements to be ran

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Manslaughter posted:

I don't understand how they can turn down Golf with bigjon but allow loving Minecraft 100% achievements to be ran

Well they got rid of Minecraft runs.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Manslaughter posted:

I see no such run on the schedule?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I see no such run on the schedule?
I think he's talking about the SGDQ 2015 run, since Big Jon's Golf speedrun was also turned down for that event.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Referring to SGDQ 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Crain posted:

Does GDQ have a restriction on new games?

They've had games only a few months old in marathons before. I sometimes wind up having to skip them because they're games I'm planning on playing later and I don't like watching a game I'm going to play being played, even if there's no way that I'll play like those guys do.

• Locked thread