Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

omfg

this is a fuggin cult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Gilganixon posted:

Everything has to end one day. There will be new, even more autistic scam cults. Someone will kickstart something to do with trains and the cycle will start again.

In space they say no one can hear your autistic rage screams.

Fortunately for us we're on earth and their screams will be glorious.
:lesnick:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Oh if only they had made the game as described at the end of the Kickstarter and stopped selling JPG ships this could have been something.

All I wanted was a loving multiplayer bridge commander, pretty much. That's it. You'd think blending FPS ship movement with a space environment outside wouldn't be that hard. It doesn't have to be perfect, I don't have to have a SEAMLESS EXPERIENCE. I'm OK teleporting out of a ship to walk around a FPS base or something.

Basically I just wanted a Privateer with first person elements and mutlicrew multiplayer. That's it. How did they cock that up?

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Blazing Ownager posted:

Oh if only they had made the game as described at the end of the Kickstarter and stopped selling JPG ships this could have been something.

All I wanted was a loving multiplayer bridge commander, pretty much. That's it. You'd think blending FPS ship movement with a space environment outside wouldn't be that hard. It doesn't have to be perfect, I don't have to have a SEAMLESS EXPERIENCE. I'm OK teleporting out of a ship to walk around a FPS base or something.

Basically I just wanted a Privateer with first person elements and mutlicrew multiplayer. That's it. How did they cock that up?

they saw idiots were willing to give them money. And Croberts was at the helm.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tujague posted:

That's seriously Derek Smart posting on SA? Is his account here part of the settlement from the dozens of ferocious lawsuits he was going to file? Is GBS the place on the internet he can enjoy the highest amount of both relevance and respect?

Because we're having the big internet crossover event one of SA's oldest and most entertaining foes has returned as an ally against a greater evil

It's beautiful

PS: Many coke machines will be slain this day

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Why is there a gbs thread? You're giving sandi too much work to do when there's important auditions to go on

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Romes128 posted:

Why is there a gbs thread? You're giving sandi too much work to do when there's important auditions to go on

It's greedy to keep this event all for ourselves.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Romes128 posted:

the only thing harder to believe than Derek Smart returning to lead the Goons on a glorious crusade to ruin everything is that Games might generate a good thread. GBS needs its own thread otherwise no one will believe this is happening.

:yarg:

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Romes128 posted:

Fart Shitizen mocking is returning home

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gilganixon posted:

the only thing harder to believe than Derek Smart returning to lead the Goons on a glorious crusade to ruin everything is that Games might generate a good thread. GBS needs its own thread otherwise no one will believe this is happening.

:yarg:

Derek can't even lead 6 people to play his game at the same time

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Berious posted:

More like shart shitizen

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Romes128 posted:

Derek can't even lead 6 people to play his game at the same time

v true

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Berious posted:

and without having to share the house with a hot dog stand

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I miss when semi-talented musicians used to be on SA, we totally need a ballad of Smart and Roberts

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Microwaves Mom posted:

Does that make Derek Smart Ishmael?

Derek smart is queequeg

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
this lovely boring videogame that is not even fun is the most important thing in the world to me

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Mange Mite posted:

Derek smart is queequeg

checks out

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Acquilae posted:

sandi's gotta pad her imdb profile to help her finally get that big hollywood break

Gotta pad her bra more like :boom:

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Microwaves Mom posted:

Does that make Derek Smart Ishmael?
Derek is pretty much a fevered Herman Melville from around the time he wrote The Ambiguities and was publicly declared mad in the papers.
Much like the author Derek uses his experiences of the sea to further flesh out this tale of a monomaniacal game developer bent on conquering the great beast along with writing other sea-faring epics.

Ben fits the role of Ishmael, as he would likely be found barely alive in the flotsam and jetsam of RSI and go to post his tales.

Gilganixon posted:

Everything has to end one day. There will be new, even more autistic scam cults. Someone will kickstart something to do with trains and the cycle will start again.
Train sims are staggeringly profitable already. Train Sim 2016 comes with $3000 of DLC (about $4500 without the discounts).

A tale of woe about trains.
Back in the day there was an Australian game company called Auran who developed Trainz which was a massive hit.

In 2006 they are buoyed by their success and wanting to diversify into the MMO market invested $8.3 million into an attempt at an multi-player arena game called Fury. Choosing to ignore fan feedback a initially well received beta was chopped and changed on a whim damaging much goodwill and resulting in a very janky game which didn't play or sell well after the reviews hit.
Out of desperation to get more players on-board they switched the game to free-to-play and neutered much of their income as people didn't see the point in paying full price.

Aruan became bankrupt and went into administration. However they were bailed out by a Trainz fan and regrouping under a new name they hopped back on the gravy train and pumped out a ton of support packages for their Trainz series and recently kickstarted the latest incarnation.

Their asking funds were pretty realistic asking for $165,000 and getting $195,000. Also they detail what each of their stretch goals will actually require which are mainly adding extra polish to the base game. The whole thing cost around $2 million in total for the company.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I miss when semi-talented musicians used to be on SA, we totally need a ballad of Smart and Roberts
Weren't they claimed by EVE? I recall at least one promising musician completely wrecked his career on that game. He made this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vfv1QtZDirY

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Blazing Ownager posted:

You're still getting that game. The additional funding simply means that the scope of the project has grown larger in size. The game is going to be bigger and prettier than it ever would have been with the original funds. The increased budget also allows Chris to work with amazing hollywood actors, who bring the story truly alive. Imagine being INSIDE a Wing Commander movie, not just watching it. You're there, in the world, with Gary Oldman and Mark Hamil.

From the beginning Chris has spoken of a seamless experience and that's also what the community wants. Star Citizen 2.0 clearly demonstrates that this experience is not only possible, but happening right now.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

WebDog posted:

Train sims are staggeringly profitable already. Train Sim 2016 comes with $3000 of DLC (about $4500 without the discounts).

Remember when ~3K of train poo poo was the touchstone for DLC gone mad? Filthy casuals could've been netting 15-30K+ if they dared to dream.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

WebDog you are fast becoming my favourite forums poster

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

I still can't believe Derek Smart is posting on SA. Like granted half of his posts seem to be him quoting other people who 100% agree with him and saying "I already said that months ago YOU loving IDIOT WHY DON'T YOU READ THE THREAD DIPSHIT YOU loving CRETIN" but still

What is his forum's name?

Dapper Dan posted:

literal rubes who own farms fall for star citizen

A few tweaks here and there and bam!, got some more mileage out of this thing!

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

WebDog posted:

Weren't they claimed by EVE? I recall at least one promising musician completely wrecked his career on that game. He made this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vfv1QtZDirY

They recently kicked his space guild out of goons because they weren't putting in the hours at the space office. That's when goonfleet died to me.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

kikkelivelho posted:

You're still getting that game. The additional funding simply means that the scope of the project has grown larger in size. The game is going to be bigger and prettier than it ever would have been with the original funds. The increased budget also allows Chris to work with amazing hollywood actors, who bring the story truly alive. Imagine being INSIDE a Wing Commander movie, not just watching it. You're there, in the world, with Gary Oldman and Mark Hamil.

From the beginning Chris has spoken of a seamless experience and that's also what the community wants. Star Citizen 2.0 clearly demonstrates that this experience is not only possible, but happening right now.

Scope creep ruins everything. Even if Star Citizen started out with honourable intentions the insane promises made to justify the huge amount of money that came pouring in from "investors" brings it pretty firmly into scam territory. They have to keep promising new features to get more money rolling in to pay for the resources needed to make the new features when they should have settled for half a mil to make a good space game.

E: also gently caress who the hell wants to hang out with Mark Hamil. pretty sure Mark Hamil doesn't want to hang out with Mark Hamil

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Dapper Dan posted:

literal rubes who own farms fall for star citizen

I feel bad for his animals. 200 cows softly mooing for their food but he blew all their food money on jpegs already. At least the slaughterhouse will be sweet release. :smith:

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

I highly doubt they are in dire enough financial straights to not put out some piece of poo poo game within two or three years at this point. The game as pitched is certainly impossible to deliver at this point with their remaining funds and what they can expect to bring in from delusional backers, but they'll deliver something.

Whatever garbage they do give the backers in the end won't matter because these cultists will come crawling back like the beat puppies they are and loudly proclaim that they got everything they paid for and more.

Derek was going on and on about how he KNEW that they don't have enough money to finish and they're DOOMED blah blah blah oh he's gonna sue their pants off and get the bottom of this blah blah blah and it's obvious he's just full of hot air and bullshit at this point. If he had the smoking gun he was hinting at a couple months ago he would have done something by now.

Instead he just shut up about the supposed lawsuit when his "deadlines" came and went without action, which is why I doubt he actually has anything damning on them.

fat bossy gerbil fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jan 2, 2016

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Gilganixon posted:

Scope creep ruins everything. Even if Star Citizen started out with honourable intentions the insane promises made to justify the huge amount of money that came pouring in from "investors" brings it pretty firmly into scam territory. They have to keep promising new features to get more money rolling in to pay for the resources needed to make the new features when they should have settled for half a mil to make a good space game.

E: also gently caress who the hell wants to hang out with Mark Hamil. pretty sure Mark Hamil doesn't want to hang out with Mark Hamil

Under normal circumstances scope creep would be concerning, yes. Star Citizen however isn't limited by publisher set deadlines or a limited budget. Features are only added when after they've already been funded. This means that despite the feature set growing larger, development always stays within budget.

I also doubt your knowledge of game development if you think half million dollars is enough money to create a seamless space MMO.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

WebDog posted:

Sandi Gardiner
Deciding that a Marine Biology degree wasn't going to lead to a thrilling career Sandi decides that little Adelaide, South Australia is too small for her ambitions so heads off to L.A to try to achieve her dream of being a movie star. She hops back and forth between L.A and Sydney, mostly working as a model while stuffing her C.V with questionable bit-parts-in-crowd in notable films and TV shows. All of which appear and reappear over the years.

She meets Chris by allegedly looking for work as an intern, flipping open a studio directory and finding "Ascendant" at the top of the list.
If anything he gives her a chance to remain longer in America and to keep reaching for that brass ring. It's not really known what she did during the first decade of the 2000's as Ascendant burned, her only "major" film was a indie horror production that boasted that no actors had their SAG accreditation, did their own driving and the entire film was improvised on location.

Jump to 2011 and she's somehow pulled a stunt that would make Cersi Lannister proud. Now the VP of marketing for Chris Robert's new game while denying that she's not the wife of the CEO and offering very little in the way of actual marketing qualifications.

However unlike most VP's her role doesn't consist of working behind the scenes managing PR, but starring in online videos which pad her imdb profile.
It's also alleged that she was the reason why the company moved to L.A at a great cost as it puts her in closer range to audition for roles and even use the company's offices as a place to hold script readings for films that may or not be funded with the company's dimes.

This no-name actress soon found herself pressing shoulders against bigger names like Gary Oldman and Gillian Anderson while sharing top billing among a very expensive looking cast. Somehow this will be her breakout role into the industry.

Even more bizarre was the allegations that the VP of marketing also took part in deciding who got hired or fired, judging people based purely on their looks with the infamous accusation that a woman wasn't hired as it looked like she didn't groom down there along with suspicions of anyone who is black, something she tried to plaster over by awkwardly dragging in one poor fellow into a stream.

She really hit the spotlight after the Escapist magazine prompted fears that her hard working reputation would be destroyed in an instant and after scary lawsuits failed to emerge in her defence plead through some crocodile tears for people to stop being meanies at a live event.

It is largely suspected that Sandi is wearing the pants in the relationship of the company and does her best to whip people into shape "for the greater good" while sending morale plummeting as the company engages in hunting down the mole who is destroying her reputation.

Kickstart my heart
After pissing off Kevin Costner and earning the right to never work in Hollywood again, the motley crew at Ascendant have no choice but to sell off the company to get rid of the $8 million court ordered debt.

By then games development was lightyears ahead of when it was in 2003 and seeing how fantastic CryEngine looked Roberts and Ortwin gathered some cash, formed a ton of subsidiary companies to funnel it through, gave each other $100 of shares and knocked on the door of CryTek - then on the verge of going insolvent and barely able to pay wages.

The result was a re-visioning of Wing Commander, packaged via a glossy video of a space carrier getting attacked. EA declined, likely on the fact that Roberts wanted complete control.
Not to be undaunted Roberts Space Industries took to the skies of Kickstarter and jolted the wallets of nostalgic Wing Commander fans who saw through rose tinted glasses the promised land of PC gaming...all for $6 million...and more!

However this became a case study of what not to do, which is over promise.
Starting with realistic things like regular updates, early access and new ships soon started shifting into the absurd like tablet apps, building new studios for the dev team and vague "enhancements" and casually dropped complex game elements like "transport systems", "ground battles" "pets" "enhanced NPC AI" without any real indication to how they would fit - let alone any consideration to how long it would take to develop.

The goal was to create several separate game modules that all would come together as a fantastic everything game. However the challenges of trying to force a FPS game engine to operate as a fully fledged flight simulator, even when you have the key devs of the engine, soon proved challenging and 2014 spun past faster than a glitching ship.

It's rather interesting when you look at the deal made by Bigfoot Entertainment to acquire all assets of Ascendent Pictures (http://www.bigfoot.com/up-press-releases-172.php). If you check Bigfoot Ascendent Distribution LLC (http://www.bigfootascendant.com/) the company that was formed out of all this and took on all assets, the distribution rights taken over by Ascendent are completely not fitting into their product portfolio and it feels rather strange to see them in midst of all that other low-cost trash they have produced. Maybe it's worth checking into the founder of Bigfoot Entertainment who is a guy called Michael Gleissner (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Gleissner) - there's some interesting overlap with someone else, he is German, he lived in Asia, namely Philippines. He is big into Fashion TV, having bought the franchises in Singapore and Philippines and produces trashy movies and formed the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Academy_of_Film_and_Television in Cebu on the Philippines (Do you see the possible overlaps with someone else career, interests and origin?) - anyways Michael Gleissner also controls a venture capital firm called Bigfoot Ventures Ltd that holds an interesting investment approach http://bigfootventures.com/approach/index.html

There's a lot of stuff that is curious here and it makes me wonder if that guy Michael Gleissner isn't a connection to Sandi Gardiner that assisted in bailing out Chris Roberts and Ortwin's company once they got hit with the lawsuit from Costner, the assets being held as collateral. Which makes me wonder, if there isn't a silent stake in CIG.

Anyways, it's all speculation.

sorla78 fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 2, 2016

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
I didn't intend for this thread to make it more than a day in 2016 but here we are! Anyways holy cow WebDog knows too much!

I will say that queeqaag seems like a good role for Derek Smart. The coffin -> lifeboat conversion seems appropriate for that tale.

As for Lesnick being Ishmael. I'm not sure, Lesnick believes in Croberts more than croberts does at this point I'm pretty sure. For all the crap he throws out I'm 100% convinced that Lesnick is like the #1 cultist in the house of croberts. He'll be there chanting praises as it goes down in flames.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

i had been wondering where that freaky stretched out face came from

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
I'm just baffled every time I look and see they have more money I remember when it was like 45mil and I thought to myself, "Holy cow, that's a lot of money for a guy who made a game back in the late 80s early 90s."

Now its 100mil? I sincerely hope I make a hit game or something in my life and then 20 years later do a kickstarter for it and psychopaths shell out millions upon millions for it.

Looks like I better focus on the space / train market.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

kikkelivelho posted:

Under normal circumstances scope creep would be concerning, yes. Star Citizen however isn't limited by publisher set deadlines or a limited budget. Features are only added when after they've already been funded. This means that despite the feature set growing larger, development always stays within budget.

I also doubt your knowledge of game development if you think half million dollars is enough money to create a seamless space MMO.

well yeah I don't know anything about game development but it was their kickstarter goal

The deadlines aren't set by a publisher but they are real. There was a real lack of space sims when Star Citizen was kickstarted but there are plenty around now. If it's not released by the time the craze passes who's going to bother playing it? (E: presumably they'd like additional people to buy the game on release as well as their current backers)

As for the budget it's a serious problem with a lot of kickstarters. There's this dude who makes these cheesy lamps for a couple hundred each which he paints by hand. his team is himself and his kickstarter campaign manager. He had a goal of $30,000 and ended up getting $900,000. Suddenly he's not painting lamps, he's hiring a team of painters, training them to do a thing, managing a project, running a large company and getting thousands of these things delivered all within the original timeline. The change in scale completely changes the thing he's doing and seriously damages his chances of being able to actually do it. I think the same thing is happening with SC, just on a way bigger and more hilarious scale.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Microwaves Mom posted:

I didn't intend for this thread to make it more than a day in 2016 but here we are! Anyways holy cow WebDog knows too much!

I will say that queeqaag seems like a good role for Derek Smart. The coffin -> lifeboat conversion seems appropriate for that tale.

As for Lesnick being Ishmael. I'm not sure, Lesnick believes in Croberts more than croberts does at this point I'm pretty sure. For all the crap he throws out I'm 100% convinced that Lesnick is like the #1 cultist in the house of croberts. He'll be there chanting praises as it goes down in flames.

Lesnick is the boat

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Mange Mite posted:

Lesnick is the boat

well if he snaps he might end up being the whale that takes down ol croberts with him.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

The French Army! posted:

Whatever garbage they do give the backers in the end won't matter because these cultists will come crawling back like the beat puppies they are and loudly proclaim that they got everything they paid for and more.

from zecumbe sent 1 day ago
gently caress You

to zecumbe sent 1 day ago
Why so serious? :D

Serious? Ah :D

to zecumbe sent 1 day ago
May 2016 bring you many jpegs, friend. Namaste

Keep on hating we appreciate the lulz. Send Derek & Legal my regards. नमस्ते

to zecumbe sent 21 hours ago
No hate, we all look forward something coming out. His Vision shall be fulfilled.

from zecumbe sent 20 hours ago
lol it seems something is already out :) happy 2016

to zecumbe sent 20 hours ago
And ain't it everything you expected it to be? :)

from zecumbe sent 20 hours ago
A bit more actually :)

to zecumbe sent 19 hours ago
That's great then! :)

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jan 2, 2016

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Microwaves Mom posted:

well if he snaps he might end up being the whale that takes down ol croberts with him.

More like the whale they kill to make a dickskin apron

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

100 mil is probably enough to get you elected POTUS or pay the education budget of some hosed up African country for a decade ... or you can spend it all on coke

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

waitwhatno posted:

100 mil is probably enough to get you elected POTUS or pay the education budget of some hosed up African country for a decade ... or you can spend it all on coke

You're probably joking but lets be clear: I seriously doubt Chris is using backer funds for his personal expenses, and even if he did, I doubt it would affect their cash reserves in any meaningful way. Yeah, people in the movie business use drugs, but how much do you think Chris is using to make the claim that it's negatively affecting the overall budget of the game?

I wouldn't be surprised if Chris had more than enough money from his previous works to sustain a wealthy lifestyle for the rest of his. These kinds of personal attacks just make your point look weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

kikkelivelho posted:

You're probably joking but lets be clear: I seriously doubt Chris is using backer funds for his personal expenses, and even if he did, I doubt it would affect their cash reserves in any meaningful way. Yeah, people in the movie business use drugs, but how much do you think Chris is using to make the claim that it's negatively affecting the overall budget of the game?

I wouldn't be surprised if Chris had more than enough money from his previous works to sustain a wealthy lifestyle for the rest of his. These kinds of personal attacks just make your point look weak.

lol if you think he and sandi arent pulling in a huge salary

"well they are already rich so clearly they dont need more money" :laugh:

• Locked thread