Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

prepare for incoming thumbs up or middle finger debate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Droid gonorrhea.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

ArmZ posted:

prepare for incoming thumbs up or middle finger debate

Actually, his droid dick

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

NecroMonster posted:

haha all women need to be protected

Not anymore. The judge ordered me to wear a cowbell.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

s0m3 guy posted:

wow they had iko uwais and there was no force kung fu???

he did nothing in man of tai chi either, does he get paid by the elbow jab or what

Ex-Priest Tobin
May 25, 2014

by Reene
Looking forward to Daisy Ridley's raunchy lad's mag shoot in 5 years time when she decides to cast off the shackles of her conservative Disney image.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

Looking forward to Daisy Ridley's raunchy lad's mag shoot in 5 years time when she decides to cast off the shackles of her conservative Disney image.

i'm more of a fan of naturalistic amateur stuff, so I'll hold out for the leaked cellphone nudes.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
imo being a mary sue/infallible character/whatever you want to call it is not so much about what they do in the story (any character in a fantasy adventure story is going to pull off impossible stunts pretty much by definition)

it's more about the character's attitude, like they never seem vulnerable or out of their depth

i think all three of the tfa main characters had those moments of vulnerability. poe has one when kylo ren's torturing him. finn has one that lasts for pretty much the whole movie. rey has hers when she has her force nightmare in the cantina basement. that was enough for me to find her relatable instead of off-puttingly flawless. that's just me though

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I liked when Rey pulled the wrong breakers in Solo's ship and totally hosed the situation.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

FuturePastNow posted:

I thought Rey was a little too good at everything, but instead of complaining about it I just hope Episode VIII has exposition on her childhood and explains how she became a genius mechanic and expert pilot who could could take out dudes with a staff.

manipulated by the force / snoak / maybe luke??

wow so difficult to explain

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

FuhrerHat posted:

manipulated by the force / snoak / maybe luke??

"like ben solo, your birth awakened the force. unbalanced it. threatened to destroy it. as the force's custodian, i merely induced harmony"

snoak as an antihero
give me money disney

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
oh no i missed another mary sue discussion? dammit !!! :mad:

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit 2: On The Move > What if Star Wars the Force Awakens character "Rey" is actually a Mary Sue

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
I think Rey is Ben Kenobis grand daughter.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
I also have a huge crush on Poe so I hope he and Finn continue hanging out and stoking that chemistry

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Toadvine posted:

I also have a huge crush on Poe so I hope he and Finn continue hanging out and stroking that chemistry

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

this is black one, im going in

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Taking it through the trench now, team leader. Encountering some hostile debris.

Kosher Pickup Line
Jan 10, 2008

Hair Elf
wow, just read through a few pages and I don't think there are enough :goonsay: smilies in the cloud, or even the entire internet for this thread.

the movie was awesome and the characters were all real good. except for that yellow yoda lady, didn't really care for her.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Otisburg posted:

this is black one, im going in

Don't resist the power of the ménage.

Y Tu Mon Mothma Tambien.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Marvin Freeman posted:

. except for that yellow yoda lady, didn't really care for her.

wow racist

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Otisburg posted:

wow racist

She wasn't pretty enough for him to white knight.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Marvin Freeman posted:

wow, just read through a few pages and I don't think there are enough :goonsay: smilies in the cloud, or even the entire internet for this thread.

the movie was awesome and the characters were all real good. except for that yellow yoda lady, didn't really care for her.

I can't believe you would say this, when we need more strong female characters now more than ever, you fuckin goon

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I hate to be this guy (I don't) but...

how the gently caress does the Milennium Falcon have a smaller turning circle than a TIE fighter? How was it MORE manoueverable in that chase? It being faster I could get, big engine, sure. But whaaaat.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

VagueRant posted:

how the gently caress does the Milennium Falcon have a smaller turning circle than a TIE fighter? How was it MORE manoueverable in that chase? It being faster I could get, big engine, sure. But whaaaat.

If you don't rely on resistance for steering and instead just have your engine muscle the turns for you, there's no reason why the MF couldn't turn on a dime. it was a smuggler's ship. Maybe it was just custom specc'd

CaptainFish
Mar 31, 2011

It's Psy-Crow my mortal Enemy! I swear my soily vengeance upon him and his fowl ilk!
The Millenium Falcon is a Mary Sue.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

VagueRant posted:

because it had to ok

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Toadvine posted:

I think Rey is Ben Kenobis grand daughter.

Luke, Leia, Ben Kenobi or even Lando are all too obvious. She's emperor Palpatine's grand/daughter.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
She's a force baby like anikin

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Supplanter posted:

Luke, Leia, Ben Kenobi or even Lando are all too obvious. She's emperor Palpatine's grand/daughter.

The movies were never exactly subtle.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

They couldnt have been more obvious if theyd credited her as "rey skywalker" She's Luke's kid. :toxx: on it if you wanna dig this thread up next May.

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
wasnt lord stoat and some other guy anakins babydaddy

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Rey is a rip off of Rei from Evangelion. I mean, look at their names and the fact that they're both young female characters with unique gifts.

Disney's ripping off anime, again.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

JediTalentAgent posted:

Rey is a rip off of Rei from Evangelion. I mean, look at their names and the fact that they're both young female characters with unique gifts.

Disney's ripping off anime, again.

thanks Disney and the matrix for giving us anime stuff to watch w/o having to be the kind of person who likes anime

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Otisburg posted:

They couldnt have been more obvious if theyd credited her as "rey skywalker" She's Luke's kid. :toxx: on it if you wanna dig this thread up next May.

I still think Ben wiped her memories and stashed her on Jakku instead of slaughtering her with the rest of Luke's academy. The reason she's good at force stuff is that she's beginning to remember rather than just straight learning on the spot.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

TK-42-1 posted:

I still think Ben wiped her memories and stashed her on Jakku instead of slaughtering her with the rest of Luke's academy. The reason she's good at force stuff is that she's beginning to remember rather than just straight learning on the spot.

I think this is a dece theory that explains why she was left with a lovely garbage monster instead of a loved one. Also her flashback seems to show him protecting her from a death blow from another knight of Ren

Ben can't bring himself to kill fam so he uses his sith brain magic to wipe her identity, drops her off on a crap world never to leave and splits the difference.

Grieving Luke thinks he daughter dead and goes into hermitage,

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
My guess.

Luke had the academy, Ben was the oldest member, rey was still a child, like in the flashback. Snoke corrupts Ben with glory story of Vader. Ben confronts Luke. Luke tells Ben the stories, Ben can't come to terms that Vader reverted to Anakin or feels that Luke is just taking the piss with him. Snoke reinforces this belief, just like Palpitine did with Anakin. Ben goes Kylo, Anakins the Younglings, while Luke is out with his daughter, testing her in the ways of the force.

Luke returns, sees that everything is repeating itself again and Yoda's himself off to the other world, but first tosses Rey onto Jakku for safe keeping, because he's seen the future in a force vision. I'd even bet that Luke has seen his own death in a force vision and understands that for the final "balance" to be struck in the force, this all has to happen.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
If Rey is Ben Kenobi's daughter and we can get Rey and Force Ewan McGregor (who carried the prequels really well) fighting alongside each other that'd be cool.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I still have yet to see the movie, but I wonder if the Vader worship is maybe more a revisionist history by a lot of people in the Skywalker friends/family. "Oh, your grandpa... he was... Well, he did some bad stuff, but he was really a good guy. Listen to these stories of all the great stuff he did before he turned to the dark side. It's not his fault, he was really a good guy. You know, it was a different time, he meant well, don't worry about the bad stuff he did no matter what you hear about him..."

VendaGoat posted:

Luke returns, sees that everything is repeating itself again and Yoda's himself off to the other world, but first tosses Rey onto Jakku for safe keeping, because he's seen the future in a force vision. I'd even bet that Luke has seen his own death in a force vision and understands that for the final "balance" to be struck in the force, this all has to happen.

Rey carves "No Fate" into the wood table with her lightsaber.

It's not very subtle because no matter how elegant a weapon it is, it's not too good for detail work like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

JediTalentAgent posted:

Rey carves "No Fate" into the wood table with her lightsaber.

It's not very subtle because no matter how elegant a weapon it is, it's not too good for detail work like that.

I'd love to see Disney's vision of the terminator series.

It would also make Sarah Conner a Disney Princess, John a Prince and the Terminator would be the plucky side kick. :allears:

• Locked thread