Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Shugojin posted:

Alright so I am looking into getting a compressor pedal for guitar after playing with models in Amplitube. Is there a decent one that's sub $50 usd or should I be expecting to spend ~$70-100?

Compressors are tricky in that they're touch sensitive - they respond differently to different playing techniques. So you'll need to find one that not only sounds right, but "feels" right as well. Best option, if possible, is to bring your guitar into a shop and try as many as you can. For my part, I like the Boss CS-2 (managed to score one before they went through the roof) for single coils and the DOD FX80B for humbuckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

Shugojin posted:

Alright so I am looking into getting a compressor pedal for guitar after playing with models in Amplitube. Is there a decent one that's sub $50 usd or should I be expecting to spend ~$70-100?

This may or may not be a decent recommendation, but if you're handy with a soldering iron, you might wish to try building yourself an Afterlife. Board and housing is cheap, and you can easily build one of these for sub $50. It's an optical design with a very low parts count, I built one based on the schematics here and absolutely love it. It's an extremely transparent sounding compressor, wonderful sensitivity, and when set high, very punchy. You can build it in a larger housing so that you aren't struggling for space, which makes the build downright easy, and it's relatively easy as well to mod in a Threshold control.

http://madbeanpedals.com/projects/Afterlife/Afterlife2015.pdf

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm unsure if this is the place to ask this, but has anyone here used a Line 6 POD HD on the FX Loop of a Combo / Head? After playing with it for a while, I've come to really like the Mesa Boogie Rect-O-Verb head that I got at the start of the month. It's probably the one amp that I'm gonna keep on using live even after I'm done with the 3-month tour that starts in February. It's that loving good.

Last Wednesday, though, one of my musician buddies needed a quick buck, so I bought him this POD HD 500 pedalboard that he had not been using all that often. Aside from some goofy stickers, the pedalboard seems to be in prime condition and I've confirmed that it has all the latest updates/firmware and whatnot. Now, I've heard this dude pull some kick-rear end delays and effects with this pedalboard, so I was wondering if I could keep the best of both worlds and just use the POD for my modulation / delay and then keep my signal relatively clean wrt the front of the amp just maybe using a tuner and a Fulltone OCD.

Thanks in advance. :)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

I did a lot of research before buying the Digitech Drop and I can definitely say the Digitech is much better than the Morpheus. It has minimal lag even on the octave mode. Noticeable to me, but not anything that makes playing in time difficult.

That said I've realized I don't need drop tunings enough to give it space on my board so I'm probably putting mine up on Reverb soon. I can't say anything bad about the pedal though. It's better than the rest of the pedals trying the same thing by a large margin.

Also, forgot to thank you on this reply. Checked around, and it seems like the pedal is the real deal! It wasn't until recently that I started to consider the possibility of either:
  1. Start searching for a deece 8-string guitar.
  2. Convert a right-handed 8-string (I'm left-handed) into a lefty.

Right now, I'm waiting for the pedal to arrive, so once it gets here, I'll let you guys know! :)

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

I've been looking at tremolo pedals, and the choices are getting overwhelming. Is this the kind of thing where I should just grab a used Boss TR2 and stop thinking about it, or is there a reason I should absolutely go for something else? I'm mostly interested in a more vintage sound (I miss the tremolo on my Vox AC-15 and will probably just sit around playing stuff like Crimson and Clover endlessly as soon as I have a pedal in my possession), but some choppy helicopter stuff is always fun too. The pedals that have seemed to jump out at me as commonly recommended are below in vague order of price - any opinions on them?

Boss TR2
EHX Stereo Pulsar
Voodoo Labs Tremolo
Seymour Duncan Shape Shifter
Source Audio Vertigo

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
if you can afford it, get the moog mf-102 for tremolo. its wonderful fun plus you get audio rate modulation as well

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Just so I'm clear, I have a multi-effects unit that's pretty awesome, the pedal order by default within the unit is: Compressor, OD/DS, Preamp, Gate, Chorus/Phaser and then a Delay/Reverb. I'm now getting an amp with an effects loop, so I am planning on shutting off the Compressor/OD/DS/Preamp on the unit and using it entirely for gate/EQ/modulation/echo within the loop, and then plonking something like a TS Mini or Spark in the front - is that correct?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Leck posted:

I've been looking at tremolo pedals, and the choices are getting overwhelming. Is this the kind of thing where I should just grab a used Boss TR2 and stop thinking about it, or is there a reason I should absolutely go for something else? I'm mostly interested in a more vintage sound (I miss the tremolo on my Vox AC-15 and will probably just sit around playing stuff like Crimson and Clover endlessly as soon as I have a pedal in my possession), but some choppy helicopter stuff is always fun too. The pedals that have seemed to jump out at me as commonly recommended are below in vague order of price - any opinions on them?

Boss TR2
EHX Stereo Pulsar
Voodoo Labs Tremolo
Source Audio Vertigo

i got a Malekko trem recently and it's loving dope as hell. might have to go used since i don't think they make them anymore, but holy crap what a good sounding pedal.

i've heard very mixed things about the Boss and EHX pedals, but the Voodoo Labs one is supposed to be good i think

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
There are two stompboxes that always worked for me: The Line 6 Tap Tremolo and the Catalinbread Semaphore. I do believe they've been discontinued, but they do tend to pop up fairly often in the usual places. The semaphore is still pretty much my favorite no-frills tremolo pedal.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I went into a store to get a pop filter for my mic and saw a Digitech Bad Monkey for $60. Considering I was in the market for an OD (I asked here earlier and got great suggestions), remembered the recommendation and hell, it usually goes for $60 used here so the same price brand new made it an immediate impulse buy. It is green and lovely and I'm about to plug it in.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I got some extra Christmas cash and am thinking of getting a Fulltone 70 fuzz or possibly a Swollen Pickle. Any thoughts on either of these? Will probably be using it mostly to play industrial/stoner/metal of some variety, but want something versatile too.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I got some extra Christmas cash and am thinking of getting a Fulltone 70 fuzz or possibly a Swollen Pickle. Any thoughts on either of these? Will probably be using it mostly to play industrial/stoner/metal of some variety, but want something versatile too.

The swollen pickle has you covered. It even sounds great when you use it with a 4-string bass.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wark Say posted:

The swollen pickle has you covered. It even sounds great when you use it with a 4-string bass.

my current go-to fuzz for both bass and guitar has been a bass big muff, which sounds way radder on guitar than i thought it would. only reason i really want another fuzz is i might be recruiting a a friend to play bass live on some stuff i recorded solo. so i could use a second fuzz since he'll be using my bass rig.

my local shop has both for cheap so i'll probably try both. i'm really eyein that 70 though, as of now the Pickle is my backup choice. does the Swollen Pickle get good milder fuzz sounds or is it strictly an over-the-top Muff style fuzz?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The Leck posted:

Boss TR2
EHX Stereo Pulsar
Voodoo Labs Tremolo
Source Audio Vertigo

They're all pretty fine.

The TR2 has a volume drop which is annoying, modded ones are apparantly fantastic though.

The EHX is great for making people seasick but it has a quite limited usable knob range, since anything above 11 o clock or so is just insanely fast ring mod sounds.

I like the mooer trelicoptor personally which is a clone of a demeter tremulator.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

does the Swollen Pickle get good milder fuzz sounds or is it strictly an over-the-top Muff style fuzz?

It's an even more way-over-the-top Muff than most Muffs. There is literally nothing mild or subtle about the Pickle.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I haven't gotten nearly as much use out of my Swollen Pickle as I'd like, but that thing sounds filthy as a motherfucker. If you want a good fuzz, you really can't go wrong with it.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Okay, just ordered a Digitech Drop based on this thread. I figure it's way cheaper than a decent baritone guitar or seven-string (ugh).

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I'm looking for delay pedal recommendations. I want the ability to loop but that's not what I'll be primarily using it for. So I guess that means I want a good delay pedal with tap tempo whose loop features don't get in the way.

I've been close to buying a TC Electronic Flashback or a TC Electronic Flashback x4. The layout of the X4 appeals to me but it almost seems like overkill.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The flashback x4 isnt that much more than the base flashback so you may as well.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I'm looking for delay pedal recommendations. I want the ability to loop but that's not what I'll be primarily using it for. So I guess that means I want a good delay pedal with tap tempo whose loop features don't get in the way.

I've been close to buying a TC Electronic Flashback or a TC Electronic Flashback x4. The layout of the X4 appeals to me but it almost seems like overkill.

The best no-frills delay pedal I've used as of recently is the Wampler Faux-Tape Echo. I honestly don't use pedals all that much, and I run this guy from the FX loop and it's just radness personified.

But yeah, if you want more, go for the Flashback x3 which is pretty deece.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

massive spider posted:

The flashback x4 isnt that much more than the base flashback so you may as well.

It's not much more but it is friggin huge so bear that in mind if footprint is at all a concern.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
edit: Nevermind.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 1, 2016

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'm looking for 'my own' sound and so don't tend to go for the obvious choices in gear (i.e. hybrid amp, hollow ibanez, hardtail shredder with a SD 59') - but when thinking about a transition from a multi-FX unit to a small pedalboard, all the obvious choices keep coming up: MXR Phase 90/clone, TS808/clone, TC HoF, TC Flashback, EHX Small Stone, etc. - maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place but it seems that affordable pedals are really just copying boutiques and everything is just very samey. I would be interested if anyone has any suggestions on something to tighten up some wooly gain (because as someone in this thread said, it looks like I'm getting an ORANGE :woop: ), a cheap Van-Halen style phaser, a chorus pedal that can effectively double my lines and some non-lovely reverb and delay (the latter for obnoxious Steve Vai lead stuff).

EDIT: for inspiration I've been checking out Worship pedalboards because they're so out of the ordinary to my metal-blues-rock mindset and things like the Cool Cat Chorus seem fun but not exactly cheap.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Southern Heel posted:

I'm looking for 'my own' sound and so don't tend to go for the obvious choices in gear (i.e. hybrid amp, hollow ibanez, hardtail shredder with a SD 59') - but when thinking about a transition from a multi-FX unit to a small pedalboard, all the obvious choices keep coming up: MXR Phase 90/clone, TS808/clone, TC HoF, TC Flashback, EHX Small Stone, etc. - maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place but it seems that affordable pedals are really just copying boutiques and everything is just very samey. I would be interested if anyone has any suggestions on something to tighten up some wooly gain (because as someone in this thread said, it looks like I'm getting an ORANGE :woop: ), a cheap Van-Halen style phaser, a chorus pedal that can effectively double my lines and some non-lovely reverb and delay (the latter for obnoxious Steve Vai lead stuff).

EDIT: for inspiration I've been checking out Worship pedalboards because they're so out of the ordinary to my metal-blues-rock mindset and things like the Cool Cat Chorus seem fun but not exactly cheap.

If you really want to create a sound that you can call your own, don't beat around the bush: Go and try pedals. Sometimes, you'll get pleasant surprises from stuff you thought was the same old boring bone. However, I'm gonna mention a bunch of stuff I used and I've seen other dudes and ladies use to record some good stuff for the 15 years I've worked in recording studios. You mentioned a bunch of effects for inspiration to get to your sound, so I'm going to list them in that order. As a limit, I'm also mentioning stuff that does not break the bank:

1. OD/Distortion: You mentioned the Tubescreamer, but since you mentioned both shredding and Van Halen, did you know that big-ol Eddie gets his sick-rear end gain from the amps he uses and (mostly) controls his shredding tone through the use of a volume knob? Of course, if you want to have something at a tap of your feet to secure that so you can do other stuff with your amp, instead of going for a Tubescreamer, try the Fulltone OCD. While the mids on it are less than desirable for some dudes, the thing can push some air like nobody's business, especially for leads. From Subdecay, I can also vouch for the Liquid Sunshine and the Blackstar. I think the blackstar is no longer in production, but gently caress can that thing melt faces when configured to work as an OD.
  2. Phaser: The MXR Phase 90 is cheap as hell (like 70 or 80 bucks) and it's a solid pedal. The Small Stone from Electro Harmonix is also pretty killer.
  3. Chorus: The TC Electronic Corona Chorus. It's cheap, it sounds loving awesome and does that double-up just fine.
  4. Reverb: Most pedals I have an experience with are somewhat expensive (+200 bucks, at least), so you can either go with the Hall of Fame (which is both relatively cheap and really good) or the Electro Harmonix Holy Grail series. I think there's only one stinker in that whole thing. The basic one (the one that's simply called Holy Grail and only has one knob) is the best one of the bunch to take on in a live environment. I also remember an old and really cheap (I literally bought it off a dude for like 40 bucks) Danelectro-looking pedal that was really small and it was off the hook, but it got stolen along with other two pedals at a hardcore show I did a few years back. It was sea-foam greenish.
  5. Delay: Okay, it's going to be hard to be impartial here, because the delay is my favorite effect, like bar-none. If you want something cheap but loving awesome, go for the Guyatone Micro Delay pedals. I don't think they make them anymore, but I still find a bunch of them for sale on occasion and they're worth the 70 or 80 bucks they normally go out for. The expensive one uses a tube and usually fetches a US$200 tag. My favorite, though, is still the MD3. Little cute navy blue motherfucker. If you want something more modern and slightly off the beaten path, give the Ibanez Echo Shifter a try. A bit expensive, but it rules.

I feel that maybe you wanted something a bit more of a off-the-left-field as far as recommendations go, so I understand if you don't feel most of what I've mentioned here is up to par, but trust me: They work. I am right now preparing for a tour, and my pedalboard (plus the backup of said pedalboard) is also fairly small:

In front:
  • Old Boss Tuner <--> (The only difference between the two boards is that the backup is using a Poly Tune Noir)
  • Fulltone OCD
  • Digitech The Drop
To the FX Loop:
  • Catalinbread Semaphore
  • Guyatone MD3
  • Wampler Faux Tape Echo

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I still really like my TS9 as a boost and even as a mild overdrive. I can get a nice tight tone using it as a boost and a nice vintageish overdrive sound as an OD.

What pedals you like is probably gonna be affected by your amp's base tone though. I like my 40 year old all tube 15 watt combo amp a lot :kimchi:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shugojin posted:

I still really like my TS9 as a boost and even as a mild overdrive. I can get a nice tight tone using it as a boost and a nice vintageish overdrive sound as an OD.

What pedals you like is probably gonna be affected by your amp's base tone though. I like my 40 year old all tube 15 watt combo amp a lot :kimchi:

I like old combo amps a bunch. There's an old, small, beat-up Supro that I consistently bring out to record clean tones and most dudes that record through it are like "How the gently caress does this sound so good?". I also have an old Music Man that takes pedals like whoa. Their downside is that, since they're both old as balls (I'm pretty sure the Supro is actually older than my mom), taking them on a tour would require extensive repairs. Also, while I've been lucky enough to just suffer small thefts to my musical equipment (I lost a Metal Zone and a bunch of cables back when I started playing shows and the second time I mentioned it on my previous post), I would rather not jinx it. I was also pleasantly surprised with the 2 Rect-O-Verb heads that I got last month, which are idiot-proof when it comes to touring maintenance. :)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

if you're looking for something cheap that sounds good and that not everybody has i definitely recommend the Joyo Vintage Phase and Vintage Chorus. i like them better than the Phase 90 and Small Stone respectively and you can get em for like 30 bucks or less new. still shocked by how good those cheap little pedals sound.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

^ Do they add any noise? I bought a Joyo Ultimate drive and it hissed like crazy.

Wark Say posted:

If you really want to create a sound that you can call your own, don't beat around the bush: Go and try pedals. Sometimes, you'll get pleasant surprises from stuff you thought was the same old boring bone. However, I'm gonna mention a bunch of stuff I used and I've seen other dudes and ladies use to record some good stuff for the 15 years I've worked in recording studios. You mentioned a bunch of effects for inspiration to get to your sound, so I'm going to list them in that order. As a limit, I'm also mentioning stuff that does not break the bank

Wark, that's quite comprehensive recommendation. It seems most of your suggestions are right up my alley, and I will give them a listen, specifically the Echo Shifter, Guyatone delay, Danelectro reverb. I was kind of expecting those bizarre pedals like the crazy EQD stuff, but I guess at that point you have to build your sound around it and so it's not even a candidate for internet recommendations. My head (I believe) is an Orange Micro head, so I think if anything I'd need a pedal to tighten it up a bit rather than any boost and it's already quite middy - so I guess I should be looking at a TS-clone specifically? All of my other effects are in the Multi-FX unit that I can stick into the loop, and replace piecemeal.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

^ Do they add any noise? I bought a Joyo Ultimate drive and it hissed like crazy.

Not in my experience, although I tend to like their modulation effects much more than their ODs. The chorus definitely adds a little bit of sparkle, but I like that.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Southern Heel posted:

Wark, that's quite comprehensive recommendation. It seems most of your suggestions are right up my alley, and I will give them a listen, specifically the Echo Shifter, Guyatone delay, Danelectro reverb. I was kind of expecting those bizarre pedals like the crazy EQD stuff, but I guess at that point you have to build your sound around it and so it's not even a candidate for internet recommendations. My head (I believe) is an Orange Micro head, so I think if anything I'd need a pedal to tighten it up a bit rather than any boost and it's already quite middy - so I guess I should be looking at a TS-clone specifically? All of my other effects are in the Multi-FX unit that I can stick into the loop, and replace piecemeal.

We're here to help, Heel. :tipshat:

Goofy smilies aside, I understand that itching you're going through right now. When you step outside of using a multi-fx, you start feeling like "I found my wheelhouse!", and that's pretty friggin' awesome. And while Earthquaker Devices, Pigtronix, Death by Audio and Fuzzrocious have a bunch of pedals I really dig, they do kind of give that imposing vibe. Using pedals or even the pedalboard as a whole like a whole 'nother instrument is fine (Nels Cline and Greg Edwards could give college courses on how to use big pedalboards musically like most other music teachers would try to teach you solfège), but if you're just starting out, try to take stock of what makes your guitar playing tingle.

I found early on that the 3 effects that did it for me were reverb, delay and tremolo. Especially in my first serious band, where I was the rhythm guitar player and I wrote like 80% of the music. When taking into account that the lead guitar player was into very simple rhythms and that, while he liked doing solos way more than I did, whatever solos/leads that he did he wanted them to be relatively brief. So I had plenty of chances to do some off-beat string-skipping riffs, 'ugly duckling' chords or odd intervals while adding a bit of a delay or tremolo, while he held the line doing the power chords or octaves. His pedal "wheelhouse" were 4 effects: Chorus, Phaser, Reverb and Compressor. I hope you have fun!

Also, do you know which one of the Orange Terror series heads you're getting? I'm asking you this because, from my knowledge, only the ones that have a "Dark" in their name (or the Jim Root head, which is also black) have an actual FX loop. Just as an FYI.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I tried to look at compressors at Guitar Center today. Their stock is really low because of Christmas, post-Christmas returns, and gift cards, so they only had a Dyna Comp outside of the display case. The display case they could not open because a guy took the key home and called off today. :negative:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Shugojin posted:

I tried to look at compressors at Guitar Center today. Their stock is really low because of Christmas, post-Christmas returns, and gift cards, so they only had a Dyna Comp outside of the display case. The display case they could not open because a guy took the key home and called off today. :negative:

I love The Accountant, but you'll be best served by waiting for a sale on Prymaxe or PGS or something and pick it up for less than the $150 asking since that's a bit too much IMO. A lot of people like the Xotic, and TC just came out with one that looks really interesting if I was still in the market for one.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah I just wanted to demo some to get a feel but I only got to play with the one. So I didn't buy anything. THREE HOURS OF DRIVING :argh:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Shugojin posted:

Yeah I just wanted to demo some to get a feel but I only got to play with the one. So I didn't buy anything. THREE HOURS OF DRIVING :argh:

On the plus side you got to play on one
#guitarlogic

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Wark Say posted:

Goofy smilies aside, I understand that itching you're going through right now. When you step outside of using a multi-fx, you start feeling like "I found my wheelhouse!", and that's pretty friggin' awesome ... try to take stock of what makes your guitar playing tingle.

Honestly I'm trying to keep a solid head on my shoulders, I'm not one for cork-sniffing capacitor browsing at all - but some of the effects just seem very .. just very cool, damnit. I really particularly like that sound of a squealing, sustaining, saturated bit of lead work - honestly with a tubescreamer and an amp with four gain stages I think that won't be too much of a problem. Phasers are super cool for that washy sound but I'm not sure how much of that is because I really enjoy Van Halen versus actually using it in my compositions.

Wark Say posted:

I found early on that the 3 effects that did it for me were reverb, delay and tremolo. Especially in my first serious band, where I was the rhythm guitar player and I wrote like 80% of the music. When taking into account that the lead guitar player was into very simple rhythms and that, while he liked doing solos way more than I did, whatever solos/leads that he did he wanted them to be relatively brief. So I had plenty of chances to do some off-beat string-skipping riffs, 'ugly duckling' chords or odd intervals while adding a bit of a delay or tremolo, while he held the line doing the power chords or octaves. His pedal "wheelhouse" were 4 effects: Chorus, Phaser, Reverb and Compressor. I hope you have fun!

This is very fun to read! I have realised that on my multi-fx despite having something like eighty effects, I actually really only use one of each and most of the time they stay on...

Wark Say posted:

Also, do you know which one of the Orange Terror series heads you're getting? I'm asking you this because, from my knowledge, only the ones that have a "Dark" in their name (or the Jim Root head, which is also black) have an actual FX loop. Just as an FYI.

I am trying hard not to dig deep, but I think it's the Micro Dark - I just don't have the gigging, drummer rehearsing or soundproofing to handle an all-valve head. I've got a 2x12 cab to go with it, which I think is closed back - I didn't fuss on the specifics except that separation of head/cab so I could in theory upgrade to a bigger one in future.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Southern Heel posted:

I just don't have the gigging, drummer rehearsing or soundproofing to handle an all-valve head. I've got a 2x12 cab to go with it, which I think is closed back - I didn't fuss on the specifics except that separation of head/cab so I could in theory upgrade to a bigger one in future.

This shouldn't worry you necessarily, depends on the amp. I have a monster valve combo but it's been designed to be usable at any volume, so each channel has a volume to drive the valves then the whole amp has a master volume. Bedroom levels are no problem at all.
It even goes so far as to let you leave the amp in stand by for silent line out recording, so you can have the amp on full but no sound comes out of the speakers.
If you ask when looking at amps you'll find a lot of decent amps now do this :)

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Not sure whether to get the carbon copy or the echo park for my first delay. I've got nowhere local to try them out though, can anyone weigh in?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

UncleBlazer posted:

Not sure whether to get the carbon copy or the echo park for my first delay. I've got nowhere local to try them out though, can anyone weigh in?

The echo park has a poo poo-ton of things you can play around with. The carbon copy sounds pretty good, but it's rather limited to one or two things you can do with it, at least on the go.

Pick your poison, dude.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

UncleBlazer posted:

I've experimented all over and always come back to the Carbon Copy. It sounds very good, is highly responsive to your playing dynamics, and is simple enough to keep me playing instead of tweaking. There are tons of delays with more features but there's something classic about the pedal for me. The mod button is cool too even though it only has trim pots inside to adjust it. Mine sounded fine stock so I never had to open it up.

If you like the idea of the CC though be sure to look up the Seymour Duncan Vapor Trail. It's their take on the Carbon Copy and a lot of people seem to like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Bogner Uberschall got here.

It promptly kicked the old MXR Doubleshot off the board like wow. A great pedal.