Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Anybody know if the behind-the-scenes bits will continue showing up on iTunes (& if so, what the delay usually is)? Season pass purchased last week got me the 1st 4 eps & the 1st 4 BTS "episodes", but episode 5's lacking its BTS despite that being up on SyFy's site. (Large display == 1080p looks better fullscreened than whatever's on SyFy.com.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Kesper North posted:

The Medina was in the books; it's the market/nightlife area. Like DS9's Promenade or B5's Zocalo.

Oh, huh. Kinda lazy then that the title "Medina" gets reused later in the books. Here I thought the show-writers were just using it as a books reference.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

darnon posted:

Oh, huh. Kinda lazy then that the title "Medina" gets reused later in the books. Here I thought the show-writers were just using it as a books reference.

Are you taking about Medina Station?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The practical sets are pretty cool on this show.

Sort of funny how they had a space PI visit the Tech Noir store.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

gohmak posted:

Are you taking about Medina Station?

I was trying to be subtle about it (not that it's that big of a spoiler), but yes. I was pointing out it's weird there's a Medina on Ceres and later Medina Station.

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006

darnon posted:

I was trying to be subtle about it (not that it's that big of a spoiler), but yes. I was pointing out it's weird there's a Medina on Ceres and later Medina Station.

If it even shows up later I figure it'd just be easier for viewers if they call it (BOOK 4 SPOILERS) Nauvoo Station.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

darnon posted:

My take on it is that it's two different meanings of medina. A medina is kind of the central bazaar/trading area in a lot of arab cities. Medina station is probably a reference to the city.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Forgot about this last night, that's a drat fine episode :cheers:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The whole show is actually one big coffee rocks ad.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

etalian posted:

The whole show is actually one big coffee rocks ad.

They gave him his coffee way too soon.

What I'm saying is that the coffee machine should have broken when he turned it on.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

This show is going be like Twin Peaks with its coffee obsession isn't it.

I'm going to have to have a fresh cuppa with every episode aren't I? :coffee:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Deakul posted:

This show is going be like Twin Peaks with its coffee obsession isn't it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDELk-M0Kxw

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Dr. Benway posted:

5 so far with a few novellas (that I haven't read). Book 6 is due out this summer. Right now most of the material is from the first book, but there a sprinklings of foreshadowing from some of the later ones.

Especially they seem to be mixing in a fair amount of character-background stuff that only shows up in later books.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
You're doing god's work, Baloogan.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Groke posted:

Especially they seem to be mixing in a fair amount of character-background stuff that only shows up in later books.

It's a pretty good example IMO of the new medium being a improvement.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Groke posted:

I'm not that far into the books yet, but I think they're screwing this up. I watched the first 4 episodes, liked the setting but some stuff didn't make sense to me, so I grabbed the first book to compare and I really don't understand what the hell the tv people are doing. I disliked pretty much everyone on the tv show while I liked pretty much everyone in the book. Everyone but Amos is like a completely different person, Naomi is way too aggressive and angry, Alex is something but not the chill dude who just wants to fly and Holden is some kind of pussy/slacker, I have no idea how they're gonna believably turn him into the righteous Holden that's pretty much required for the story.
I'm surprised goons like the tv show this much, they took a perfectly fine story, changed it a bunch to add ~drama~ and then filled those changed scenes with logical errors. IMO the books are way better.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Who is this actor?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Who is this actor?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0236495/?ref_=tt_cl_t12

Shawn Doyle, who you might recognize from 80% of television produced in the last decade. I know him from Big Love.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Vodos posted:

I'm not that far into the books yet, but I think they're screwing this up. I watched the first 4 episodes, liked the setting but some stuff didn't make sense to me, so I grabbed the first book to compare and I really don't understand what the hell the tv people are doing.
Let me tell you about the book authors on the writing team...

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Vodos posted:

I'm not that far into the books yet, but I think they're screwing this up. I watched the first 4 episodes, liked the setting but some stuff didn't make sense to me, so I grabbed the first book to compare and I really don't understand what the hell the tv people are doing. I disliked pretty much everyone on the tv show while I liked pretty much everyone in the book. Everyone but Amos is like a completely different person, Naomi is way too aggressive and angry, Alex is something but not the chill dude who just wants to fly and Holden is some kind of pussy/slacker, I have no idea how they're gonna believably turn him into the righteous Holden that's pretty much required for the story.
I'm surprised goons like the tv show this much, they took a perfectly fine story, changed it a bunch to add ~drama~ and then filled those changed scenes with logical errors. IMO the books are way better.

:goonsay:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I do not love the way Naomi is characterized on the show cause I always felt like in the novels she was a very proud, confident and competent person who never felt the need to flaunt it or assert herself, in the show it feels like she over compensates a bit.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
What I hope that means is that the show gives those characters more of a personal arc, rather than the static personalities they pretty much keep through the books apparently.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I dunno, I think she still pulls off the quiet pride, just with a lot more prickliness over certain things that don't come out in the books till later.

Making her such a leadership rival does cut away at the 'quietly doing my job, better than everyone else does btw' thing though.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
as a fan of the books, i like that this version is taking cues from the later novels where appropriate, as well as making things a bit more suited for the television medium

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Jarl posted:

In episode 2 Joe Miller is looking at Julie Maos dating prospects. How did he get access to it? (from the files?) Also why did Julie Mao have that date-connection with the dealer? We now know she was introduced to him through a friend.

Also is it a coincidence Joe Miller come across the body of the dealer?

When Miller walked into her apartment the first time he used is phone to mask his voice to sound like Julie. This turned everything on and unlocked her computer. As for the data dealer what better way for a pretty girl to cover meeting him for something not quite legal then making it looks like it was just a meetup from a random dating site?

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?

BexGu posted:

When Miller walked into her apartment the first time he used is phone to mask his voice to sound like Julie. This turned everything on and unlocked her computer. As for the data dealer what better way for a pretty girl to cover meeting him for something not quite legal then making it looks like it was just a meetup from a random dating site?

Clever. Too clever for me obviously. Thanks.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

In the grim dark future they still have Tindr

Dryb
Jul 30, 2007

What did I do?

etalian posted:

In the grim dark future they still have Tindr

How is this surprising in any way?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^ The last "Savage Love" I read had a woman who wrote in suggesting that someone set up a tindr/grindr/etc site for people to have no-strings anonymous sex, but also to make another site which hooks you up with anonymous casual sex wingmen who would call you and make sure you didn't get chopped up by your anonymous liaison in an anonymous location, because that would be easier than having a friend yuou trust or something. I believe that kind of thing will always be around.

Xae posted:

I've just started reading the first book, but one of the things they mention is that no one actually expects a war. It is way too risky a thing to do in space. Ceres and the outer rim colonies can be wiped out by just flinging a rock at them and there is nothing they can do to defend against it.

But the inner planets are vulnerable as well. A big rock will get picked up by defense grids, but a ton of smaller objects would either get through or overwhelm the defenses. Casualties of a direct hit with a gravity weapon on a major city or installation would be in the millions.

Everyone expects a bunch of dick waving followed by a return to the status quo.
Avasarala insinuated to kinetic projectiles being what would doom earth with the early scene of her lying on the roof with her grandson. She really is most afraid of someone literally just throwing a few space rocks with some cables and freight haulers and destroying everyone. I wish that had been made more clear in that scene, but she was talking to a literal child so

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

KEEP THIS AREA CLEAN

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

coyo7e posted:

^^^ The last "Savage Love" I read had a woman who wrote in suggesting that someone set up a tindr/grindr/etc site for people to have no-strings anonymous sex, but also to make another site which hooks you up with anonymous casual sex wingmen who would call you and make sure you didn't get chopped up by your anonymous liaison in an anonymous location, because that would be easier than having a friend yuou trust or something. I believe that kind of thing will always be around.
Tinder used to be great for NSA sex. Then a bunch of match.com mainstream lamers had to join and ruin everything.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Vodos posted:

Because book Holden is a righteous holier than thou prick who unexplicably escapes death dispite his stupidity. Show Holden just wants revenge on the assholes that nuked his pregnant girl, get his friends to safety and drink a good cup of coffee. It helps his character not hurts it that he has to actually earn the respect and trust of the crew.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 7, 2016

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I absolutely love where this show is right now. The multiple arcs that might be coming together are all fascinating to me. The world building that has been done is pretty awesome. All the characters are enjoyable, don't really have an issue with any of them. I hope they can keep this series going full steam instead of down a hole of suckitude after the first/two seasons like most shows. I would imagine since this is based on books already written it's probably not going to happen.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 7, 2016

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

ShakeZula posted:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0236495/?ref_=tt_cl_t12

Shawn Doyle, who you might recognize from 80% of television produced in the last decade. I know him from Big Love.

Yeah, he's local Canadian talent like Greg Bryk (Lopez) that has been in anything and everything. I like how borderline-plastic perfect he and so many other Earthers are made up to be. It really gives that upper crust, sterile clean, better than everyone feel to the UN when the next scenes are grungy Ceres sets.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

A hope a future episode has Holden holding a space station hostage for more coffee beans.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

etalian posted:

A hope a future episode has Holden holding a space station hostage for more coffee beans.

The Barista of Anderson Station

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

KatWithHands posted:

The Barista of Anderson Station

lol

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
I finally checked this show out and I am definitely pleased with what I've seen so far. I'm really digging the world-building with the belters and I don't find any of the characters unbearable or unlikeable, which is good. Also the sound design is loving amazing. The railgun exchange between the Donnager and the unknown hostiles was really, really good. Each impact made me flinch a little. Admittedly I had my sound system cranked up, but it was really awesome to hear those sharp metallic impacts instead of just some piss weak canned explosion sound + some camera shake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

bitprophet posted:

Anybody know if the behind-the-scenes bits will continue showing up on iTunes (& if so, what the delay usually is)? Season pass purchased last week got me the 1st 4 eps & the 1st 4 BTS "episodes", but episode 5's lacking its BTS despite that being up on SyFy's site. (Large display == 1080p looks better fullscreened than whatever's on SyFy.com.)

This post got me to bite on the season pass -- one, the stream from SyFy doesn't look all that great and two, I understand they have ads but the lazy fuckers just play the same ad on loop for the ad breaks, which drives me nuts. (That and the volume isn't normalized at all.)

Want to know what Naomi and Amos' deal is. Got a laugh at Amos' offer to fix Holden's face -- great delivery.

• Locked thread