Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

lol "how was rey able to win in the end against the scary sith man when she was not good at the thing at the start and was even losing"

hm maybe it has something to do with when kylo says "the force" and she repeats "the force" and then forces herself to concentrate on the force as force theme bursts through in the score in a movie called "the force awakens"

if you can't puzzle that one out maybe stick to children's activity books instead of children's movies. can you spot all the differences in the pictures?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Reverse Centaur posted:

This guy summed up my thoughts pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ArHOinPHGw

lmbo

all of this is just nitpicking, star wars doesn't make perfect sense and never has. there's negative problems with TFA such as originality, sure, but if you overanalyse star wars on the plot alone it quickly loses all credibility

like how do c3po and r2d2 in a new hope with the message for obi wan just HAPPEN to end up with luke who obi wan is watching over despite crashing on a huge desert planet???? because it moves the space adventure story forward, that's why

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jan 7, 2016

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

GRAMAGEDDON ISN'T OVER YET. SORRY.-RA TEHUTI :smuggo::smug::smugdon::grin::parrot:

Junior Jr. posted:

Did you happen to write the script for episode VIII?

That would also explain that gif of her grinning with down syndrome.

No. They wouldn't pay me enough! I wrote the script for the TFA prequel, (SW:6.5 for the laymen) you dummy!

And, yes. That would also explain that gif of her grinning with down syndrome.

makes you think.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

virtually every fictional narrative, and a surprisingly large number of nonfictional ones* require a bunch of "impossible" coincidences, and a lotof them don't even have the excuse of gnostic space magic expressing its will and guiding destiny

*ur telling me that of all the guys who were shot down the ONE guy who who just happens to not only survive but also avoid capture and being eaten by japanese cannibals in the chichijima incident goes on to be president? total mary sue

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The Force Awakens is dumb because how did the ring just happen to end up with the one hobbit who could take it to Mordor??? And that hobbit just happened to the nephew of Bilbo Baggins??? Wow try again Tolkein.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I have this theory that Kylo Ren dropped Rey off on Jakku went he went evil. It was part of his light-dark struggle, becase he was evil enough to destroy the jedi program and kill the older folks, but he wasn't evil enough to kill a little girl. So he hid her there thinking that would be the end of that and Snoke would never know. I also really hope she's just a random jedi trainee and not Luke's daughter.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I have this theory that Kylo Ren dropped Rey off on Jakku went he went evil. It was part of his light-dark struggle, becase he was evil enough to destroy the jedi program and kill the older folks, but he wasn't evil enough to kill a little girl. So he hid her there thinking that would be the end of that and Snoke would never know. I also really hope she's just a random jedi trainee and not Luke's daughter.

I agree with the first part and have advanced the theory myself. Anyone else leaving her there demands an answer to "why leave her with an awful space monster that shorts her rations?" It's a good theory.

The second part I think you'll be disappointed on. They were dropping hints like a TIE bomber, and while it has its twists, Star Wars seldom plays in full-on outright misdirection. Might as well have billed her as "Rey Skywalker" in the credits.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

What were the hints? I missed them.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Growing up on Not-Tattoine, which may as well have been Tattoine but I guess they learned their lesson about hiding a Skywalker on the same planet that their parent is from.

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

GRAMAGEDDON ISN'T OVER YET. SORRY.-RA TEHUTI :smuggo::smug::smugdon::grin::parrot:

Otisburg posted:

I agree with the first part and have advanced the theory myself. Anyone else leaving her there demands an answer to "why leave her with an awful space monster that shorts her rations?" It's a good theory.

The second part I think you'll be disappointed on. They were dropping hints like a TIE bomber, and while it has its twists, Star Wars seldom plays in full-on outright misdirection. Might as well have billed her as "Rey Skywalker" in the credits.

If anything it would have had to be billed as, Rey Organa. Leia obviously took her own name after the divorce. (which was maybe even before the birth!)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

What were the hints? I missed them.

Really?

The thematic: Desert dwelling "orphan," gearhead, natrual pilot, affinity for droids, the costuming echos (loose-fitting V-neck, limb warps), inherits the Skywalker lightsaber after it literally calls to her. Probably some other crap I'm forgetting.

The narrative: A huge theme in her story is the wait/search for belonging and family, and finding Luke satisfies that. While you could argue finding Luke is a "symbolic" family connection, I think it's quite literal. The lightsaber "calls" to her when she feels at risk of being abandoned again. Probably some other crap I'm forgetting.

I mean they lay it on so thick it's hard to miss.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Otisburg posted:

Really?

The thematic: Desert dwelling "orphan," gearhead, natrual pilot, affinity for droids, the costuming echos (loose-fitting V-neck, limb warps), inherits the Skywalker lightsaber after it literally calls to her. Probably some other crap I'm forgetting.

The narrative: A huge theme in her story is the wait/search for belonging and family, and finding Luke satisfies that. While you could argue finding Luke is a "symbolic" family connection, I think it's quite literal. The lightsaber "calls" to her when she feels at risk of being abandoned again. Probably some other crap I'm forgetting.

R2D2 who hasn't moved since Luke left, suddenly comes to life when she's around.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Otisburg posted:

Really?

Oh, ok. I had just attributed most of that to the overall story parallels rather than familial ones.

That would actually help explain why Luke was so emo though...if he thought his program had corrupted his nephew and killed his daughter. And then they get to pull the whole "Rey.......I am your father" thing.

Well all right.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

MiracleWhale posted:

i've got the good kind of autism and my inability to read social cues has made me millions, to learn more purchase my bluray series "make money fast the sonic the hedgehog way"

It's all relative

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
I thought I liked Star Wars but seeing some of the terrible takes in this thread I think that's something I should be ashamed of?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

ScrubLeague posted:

I thought I liked Star Wars but seeing some of the terrible takes in this thread I think that's something I should be ashamed of?

Star Wars is fine, it's goons that are terrible

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

ScrubLeague posted:

star wars is still cool as long as you don't take it seriously, it's like the marvel movies...yes ugly fanboys are gonna complain about them, but to everyone else they don't give a poo poo because it's supposed to be a fun movie.

ultrabindu posted:

which gif?

gotta keep up with me

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 7, 2016

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I think they did some misdirection in the previews. I mean I am just a stupid person but with the scene of Finn dramatically lighting his lightsaber against kylo in the woods as the narrator talked about an awakening it kinda seemed like he was gonna be the Jedi. also the trailer where maz talks about seeing the same eyes in different people cut between han and rey and a lot of people thought that meant she was his daughter.

just little things like that. I would prefer Rey not be Luke's daughter but if she is, eh, so what. It won't be the worst thing in the world. She's still an enjoyable character.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Rey is obviously Luke's daughter. Stop overthinking this, guys.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Booblord Zagats posted:

Star Wars is fine, it's goons that are terrible

I like Star Wars and goons, they both have their merits.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Applewhite posted:

notZaar posted:

I like Star Wars and goons, they both have their merits.

I agree, but Star Wars' merits are fun and whimsy, goons merits are mostly varying degrees of schadenfreude

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Applewhite posted:

Yeah.

I have already :toxx: 'ed on this if people give enough of a poo poo to dig this thread up next May.

I'm not 100% on the "Kylo mind-murked her and ditched her on Jakku b/c he wasn't cold enough to kill cous' yet" but maybe 80%. It fits with the flashback, the fact she's left with a gross lovely monster, and if Luke was away during the attack and thought her dead would explain why he is so obviously her father but seemingly cares more about his space monk hermitage. And also it would explain why the attack didn't either ultimately fail, or result in his death as well. I don't see a bunch of rather lovely Sith cosplayers, only one of which has a janky lightsaber, managing to get the better of him. And even if they did I don't see an outcome that leaves all his students dead and him alive if he's present.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe Luke is just a really bad teacher.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

notZaar posted:

Maybe Luke is just a really bad teacher.

The recent history of the Jedi seems to be fraught with bad teachers. Count Dooku was Yoda's Padawan, Vader was Obi Wan's, Kylo was Luke's. There's something wrong with their mentoring technique if every other student ends up turning evil.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Applewhite posted:

The recent history of the Jedi seems to be fraught with bad teachers. Count Dooku was Yoda's Padawan, Vader was Obi Wan's, Kylo was Luke's. There's something wrong with their mentoring technique if every other student ends up turning evil.

They just want to be better than their jedi masters, so they turn to the dark side because it's edgy and gives them their attitude against 'the man'.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Applewhite posted:

Yeah why not make a movie about a typical Jedi not falling to the dark side and instead living their life as a typical Jedi accountant or librarian.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jedi padawan: this book is due tomorrow

Not-dark-side jedi librarian: that'll be 50 credits

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

According to some EU bullshit I was once subjected to Obi Wan was nearly a washout and relegated from proper Jedi Knight to something called the "AgriCorps," a subset of the Jedi order that used their force powers to help grow crops or some bullshit. Tell me that wouldn't make a thrilling movie.

Space Corn Farmer: "Looks like Rain."
AgriCorps Consultant Kenobi, chewing on a length of space straw: "Ayup, if The Force wills it."

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Uh I just watched the Martian on Monday and really enjoyed it (much more than TFA which was ok IMO) and you could make that movie interesting if you wanted.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jedi librarian finds Jedi ghosts roaming the library putting books back wrong and messing up the 1000 year old system, insists the help of Jedi ghost eliminators

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

Uh I just watched the Martian on Monday and really enjoyed it (much more than TFA which was ok IMO) and you could make that movie interesting if you wanted.

I won't rank them because they were all different sorts of films trying to do different things, but my Top 3 of 2015 were Mad Max, Martian, and The Star Wars.

Honorable mention to Ex Machina.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I will rank them because Mad Max is hands down the most entertaining film of 2015.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Same but on enjoy ability I liked MM and Martian much more. Ex machina is good but just reminds me that Finn is gonna end up cucking Hux out of that bromance we've been promised for 2 movies now. :mad:

For some reason I keep thinking ex machina was released last year. Been a long half a year I guess

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 7, 2016

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Total chaos breaks out in the jedi library as over a thousand books get unorganized and the jedi librarian has to sort every one of them in their right sections.

The whole scenario takes up 3 movies.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
i only watched two movies in 2015, and they both had oscar isaac and domhnall gleeson in them, and they both were good. makes you think

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Junior Jr. posted:

Total chaos breaks out in the jedi library as over a thousand books get unorganized and the jedi librarian has to sort every one of them in their right sections.

I would watch a whole movie or two about a Library of Babel, yeah.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Junior Jr. posted:

Still more exciting than Galactic Senate meetings.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
How's this for a great movie...

High school heart-throb Anakin Skywalker is the coolest kid in his class, he wants to take Padme out to the prom...but he'll get sent to detention by Principal Palpatine if he doesn't complete Mr. Kenobi's jedi exam that he's supposed to be revising for...AND IT'S DUE TOMORROW!

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 7, 2016

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Padme is the new girl in school and as she is getting in her truck a van spins out of control at the last second Anakin jumps in and force pushes the vehicle away...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Applewhite posted:

ironically darth vader trained up a pretty awesome padawan, until the jedi kicked her out because they're dicks

• Locked thread