Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Fans posted:

Someone better get fired for this poo poo. The BBC should not be picking sides when it comes to politics.

probably the person who thought they wrote a cool little article without realising the ramifications rather than someone involved in the stunt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Oberleutnant posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/contact_us/making_a_complaint.html

But maybe http://www.ofcom.org.uk/ would be good? The BBC trust is probably cowering from the tories after the monstering they got over the last few years - which might go some way towards explaining their craven subservience to government lately.

e: ofcom specifically refers complaints about bias by the BBC to the BBC trust so lol at the idea of anything being done, but it can't hurt to try: http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/complain-online/

Wicked, ta, I'll rustle up something to send to them. In the meantime I've sent the archive link to Medial Lens, they might find it interesting.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Gonzo McFee posted:

journalistic ethics.

Actually it's about ethics in reporting Corbyn.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

That must be against the terms of the bbc's charter, dodgy choices of headlines/storys are one thing but deliberately sabotaging the democratic process for ratings/drama is over the line surely?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Seaside Loafer posted:

That must be against the terms of the bbc's charter, dodgy choices of headlines/storys are one thing but deliberately sabotaging the democratic process for ratings/drama is over the line surely?

They'll probably do the moving bodies argument. "They were already dead, we're just moving all the bodies into a pile for a better shot."

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Oberleutnant posted:

So the BBC, in its chase for a political scoop, convinced one of the Labour shadow ministers to resign live on air 5 minutes before PMQs started, ensuring that it would cause the maximum amount of damage:

I think this this is quite interesting because, while it could be argued that a live on air resignation is a great coup, I’m not sure it’s the job of the BBC’s political editor to actively assist disgruntled shadow cabinet members attempt to inflict maximum damage upon their party leader. I imagine if she had assisted a junior government minister do the same, there’d be a fearful row about BBC impartiality. What do you think?

the cached version of the BBC blog is: [url]http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:tCufUeYIpA4J:https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/collegeofjournalism/entries/82a00c77-c0cc-4e79-99ca-25e9c21d01a7+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Cathy Newman did the same on Channel 4 News when Lib Dems were resigning on-air because of Rennard, for what it's worth.

Still, Doughty is a massive cockface.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Jose posted:

probably the person who thought they wrote a cool little article without realising the ramifications rather than someone involved in the stunt

Cool little article very clearly calls out Laura Kuenssberg, so that'd be hard to justify.

I thought people were just being overly defensive saying she had it out for Corbyn with the reshuffle coverage too, more fool me.

TinTower posted:

Cathy Newman did the same on Channel 4 News when Lib Dems were resigning on-air because of Rennard, for what it's worth.

Still, Doughty is a massive cockface.

Channel 4's a different matter. It's still poo poo, but Channel 4 isn't state funded and doesn't have to remain impartial.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I know everyone hates the Sun, but they love loving the BBC and they do manufacture outrage better than any other publication.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I particularly like this line from the cached blog by the editor:

quote:

Our only fear was that [Doughty] might pull his punches when the moment came. When it did, with about five minutes to go before PMQs, he was precise, measured and quietly devastating
They were loving loving it.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The latest in British feminist discourse: was it really Rose West's fault that she raped and murdered at least ten people, including her own daughter and step-daughter?

Jesus loving Christ, give me women on banknotes any day. :smithicide:

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

serious gaylord posted:

I know everyone hates the Sun, but they love loving the BBC and they do manufacture outrage better than any other publication.

The BBC is better than the Sun when they're not pulling poo poo like this. If the Sun wants to give the BBC a kicking over this then it's a entirely deserved one for a change.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TinTower posted:

The latest in British feminist discourse: was it really Rose West's fault that she raped and murdered at least ten people, including her own daughter and step-daughter?

Jesus loving Christ, give me women on banknotes any day. :smithicide:
Cool, they're about one step away from full circle back to 'women lack the agency to commit crimes' that was a favorite proof of patriarchy in the justice system by older feminists.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

quote:

“My great failing in life is to listen to everybody at whatever great length they wish to speak to me,” said Corbyn.

“And this building is full of people who speak at great length on lots of things, so I sat in my office until midnight for two nights running to go through all of this and we finally completed all the appointments last night by a series of text messages whilst I was on the platform at a huge rally in support of legal aid.

“I finally signed it off just before I had to speak and pressed send. By text. It was very modern.” Corbyn added: “You get lovely texts back and that’s nice.”
I don't normally do sentiment by he's like a lovely grandad. :allears:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I've made a complaint. I suggest as many other people do the same.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
already did

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
I wish there was a recording of Kuenssberg telling Doughty that he'll be launching himself into the public eye and it'll really help his career etc etc. They're all so shameless and I bet the only person who'll get in trouble is the guy who wrote the blog.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Also complained, with bonus questions I don't expect they'll ever bother answering!

quote:

Sirs,

As you may be aware a blog entry was posted on Thursday January 7th on the 'Academy' BBC blog by Andrew Alexander titled "Resignation! Making the news on the Daily Politics".

The post in question has since been removed but you can view Google's cached version here: http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...n&ct=clnk&gl=uk

In it, Mr Alexander details how Laura Kuenssberg persuded Stephen Doughty to resign from Jeremy Corbyn's Shadow Cabinet live on the Daily Politics and how Mr Alexander (and presumably Laura Kuenssberg) "knew his resignation just before PMQs would be a dramatic moment with big political impact."

In light of this I would like to know:

1) Is it part of Laura Kuenssberg's job description to create "dramatic moments"?
2) Has she attempted to get MPs of parties other than Labour to resign on air in the service of making a "big political impact"?
3) Does the BBC consider it part of its impartiality remit to create "big political impact" by interfering with internal party matters? If so, can you provide examples of times the BBC has done similar with other political parties?
4) What action will be taken to make sure incidents of this sort are not repeated, and what action will be taken to ensure you report the news fairly and impartially, rather than seeking to create the news for "dramatic moments" or create a "big political impact".

As a result of this post, and these questions, I would like to formally lodge a complaint about Laura Kuenssberg's interference in party matters for the purpose of creating good drama, and the inherent bias in BBC editorial standards that led to incidents such as this arising, and seemingly being acceptable to an 'Output Editor' in the first place.

Any errors are because I typed it all out on my phone for some reason.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Also complained, with bonus questions I don't expect they'll ever bother answering!

I worded mine slightly stronger, but with more of a 'I thought it was the BBC's job to report on the news, not create it' angle. I also asked if the swift deletion of the blog pointed to the fact those involved knew it was wrong and that in trying to cover it up, they admit to breaking the BBC rules on political impartiality.

I imagine we'll get a mealy mouthed response in 2 weeks. Or some of the papers could pick up on it and she gets fired? Could probably flip a coin at this point.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
If it happened to the Tories I'd be expecting blood.

Nice man Corbyn's Labour while 3/4ths of the party are deliberately trying to unseat him is another matter.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
politics@theguardian.com is the contact for political tips for the Graun. We all know they're poo poo, but they might bite at it and I bet they're getting it spammed in their direction right now. Media is (predictably) media@theguardian.com

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

I worded mine slightly stronger, but with more of a 'I thought it was the BBC's job to report on the news, not create it' angle. I also asked if the swift deletion of the blog pointed to the fact those involved knew it was wrong and that in trying to cover it up, they admit to breaking the BBC rules on political impartiality.

I imagine we'll get a mealy mouthed response in 2 weeks. Or some of the papers could pick up on it and she gets fired? Could probably flip a coin at this point.

Yeah I ended up going for passive-aggressive sarcasm in the end.

My money is firmly on the mealy mouthed email and nothing coming of it. Though it does amuse me that they have to put all the received complaints in a daily bulletin to their staff.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
I went with pork pie hats questions and a demand for Kuenssberg resignation as the only ethical response.

Here's a tinyurl if anyone else wants to quickly link the Alexander piece and is too lazy/concerned about character limit for the full one: http://tinyurl.com/jz4oxco

Alertrelic
Apr 18, 2008

serious gaylord posted:

Maybe you should protest outside their offices like the nats did last year. :v:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The only time i truly feel alive is when im stoking the fires of outrage.

I think I missed a calling in life.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

ofcom have absolutely no remit over the BBC (yet) so don't waste your time complaining to them.

Fans posted:

Channel 4's a different matter. It's still poo poo, but Channel 4 isn't state funded and doesn't have to remain impartial.
all TV news in the UK are required to be impartial, not just the the state funded BBC. it's saved us from Sky News becoming in the style of Fox News.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Cerv posted:

ofcom have absolutely no remit over the BBC (yet) so don't waste your time complaining to them.

all TV news in the UK are required to be impartial, not just the the state funded BBC. it's saved us from Sky News becoming in the style of Fox News.

You are right and I am the idiot there. Thanks!

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Cerv posted:

I swear the tories have explicitly attacked this and it's going, am I misremembering?

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Emailed a compaint to the BBC and an outline of the story to the Guardian, plus a bunch of tweets to various politics journalists.

I'm sure nothing will come of it but at least I've done my bit.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Fans posted:

Actually, Channel 4 is ultimately publicly owned and officially a "public service broadcaster" exactly like the BBC, with the same requirement to broadcast a portion of its content for wider public benefit. Its revenue obviously comes largely from advertising rather than from a license fee equivalent though.

ITV and Channel 5 are not public service broadcasters.

Edit: Fun fact, the Tories tried to privatise Channel 4 in 2014, but were blocked by the Lib Dems.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 7, 2016

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Pork Pie Hat posted:

This is good but I'd go a step further - she's not just interfering in Labour party matters, wanting it to come out in time for PMQs is intentionally producing ammunition for Cameron

Of course what this really proves is the BBC's lefty bias - HARD LEFT BEEB JOURNOS PUSH CORBYN CRITIC TO QUIT

RobotNinjaHornets
Dec 30, 2012
Owen Jones has tweeted it

So far Rupert Myers (apparently GQ has political correspondents?), Isabel Hardman, Daniel Finkelstein and Wes Streeting have basically said "It's fine stop being touchy"

This loving country, christ

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
wes streeting is a weird looking real doll man

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

RobotNinjaHornets posted:

So far Rupert Myers (apparently GQ has political correspondents?), Isabel Hardman, Daniel Finkelstein and Wes Streeting have basically said "It's fine stop being touchy"

Paul Waugh has said theres nowt wrong either. Scum, the lot of them.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

baka kaba posted:

This is good but I'd go a step further - she's not just interfering in Labour party matters, wanting it to come out in time for PMQs is intentionally producing ammunition for Cameron

Of course what this really proves is the BBC's lefty bias - HARD LEFT BEEB JOURNOS PUSH CORBYN CRITIC TO QUIT

I did consider mentioning that but settled on going with the text of the blog posts and relying on other people to bring it up.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Maybe someone at the mirror would run with it?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

RobotNinjaHornets posted:

i'm increasingly feeling the need to create a twitter account purely to retweet people calling them cunts and doing nothing else

then i realise i'm a lazy oval office

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

Poison Jam posted:

Yeah it's a weird feeling :allears:.

I didn't cover my non-existent beard when the delivery guy gave me the hydrogen peroxide but should I grow a beard just to make the security services laugh at me? I can't recall a disabled terrorist but my memory is poo poo. I am not a terrorist

I bought some potassium nitrate off amazon a month ago.

I'm hosed.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I think i saw Hardman saying that it was just a peek at what "amazing journalists do every day" which is :ironicat: x1000000000000000000

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jose posted:

i'm increasingly feeling the need to create a twitter account purely to retweet people calling them cunts and doing nothing else

then i realise i'm a lazy oval office

You could do it with a twitter bot. Its not difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Gonzo McFee posted:

If this gains any traction then I expect 101 "Why shouldn't the BBC have done it, it's good journalism" hot takes while ignoring the massive breach in journalistic ethics.
Twitter was so far ahead of you here it wasn't even loving funny. :smith:

• Locked thread