Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

(i mean my penis btw, it's a euphemism)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

satanic splash-back posted:

Every time a woman recommends a book to me it has some weird, out-of-place sexual stuff in it.

A lady recommended The Good Earth to me and it turned out to be really good. Another lady recommended The Sun Also Rises, but I didn't like that one as much

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pththya-lyi posted:

Is she going to keep watching the show about the powerful white man who whisks pretty young women off so they can 1) listen to him explain everything and 2) watch him save the day and 3) fall in love with him all the drat time? The one where most of the scripts are written by white men?

every crazy man hating woman is really just looking for a real man who can teach her her place

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

boom boom boom posted:

Ursula K LeGuin, dude. She's a woman. Cherryh is good too. And a third example

I think people may be taking my joke that most sci-fi authors are sex criminals too seriously.

The suggestions are nice though and I've thrown them on the list for when I finish the Hyperion series.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I want to lock this crazy lady in a room with everyone itt who’s like “lol joke’s on her I only read schlock about spaceships and wizards by nerdy white dudes” and hopefully there are no survivors

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
if i remove straight white men from my filter bubble there would literally be nothing left

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month
didn't anybody mention muriel spark yet?

she was a lesbian, so that's a plus.
on the other hand, a brit (so super white) and a convert to catholicism.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
i forgot about muriel spark, ty thread

seconding samuel r delany also (except neveryon, what the hell was that supposed to be)

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

The Time Dissolver fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jan 8, 2016

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

I thought Gabriel Garcia Marquez was a woman

Turned out i was wrong

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Are Turks white?

I've been enjoying Orhan Pamuk's incest fiction

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
i need to finish invisible man. was almost done with it, was really good, but put it down and somehow never picked it back up.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
no op sorry challenge NOT accepted :colbert:

would disrupt my yearly rereadings of the song of ice and fire series (game of thrones novels for the uninitiated)

ehhhhhhnnnnnn
Jun 3, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

gently caress the ROW posted:

*the screaming sound a tie fighter makes when its shot down*

ehhhhhhnnnnnn
Jun 3, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Whorelord posted:

Are Turks white?

sorry you cant read anything produced in a NATO member state

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I know "X are the real racists" gets thrown around a lot, but is certainly seems like people who judge literature based on the skin color of the author, rather than the book's content are, literally, the real racists.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
You can still be racist towards white people even though we invented racism. Maybe if you're racist against us, you're doing cultural appropriation.

Also people keep posting links to xojane, everydayfeminism, themarysue and jezebel on facebook and SA and I'll look at those websites and see crazy people screaming about crazy poo poo so I can't say I hold feminism in very high regard anymore

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Yeah im disappointed that "not diverse enough!" is a valid criticism of individual pieces of work when getting reviewed these days like the new yorker lady who reviews tv's main problem with true detective s1 is that the two main characters were men and one supporting character was a woman... since she plays the wife.

There are tons of diverse shows on tv these days anyway and they should be judged on their content not whether they would satisfy some sort of weird sjw bingo sheet

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Gobblecoque posted:

haha just noticed the dr. who shirt ofc

First Female Sontaran Spotted.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
The only books I read that aren't written by women are books written by a man pretending to be a woman.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

happyhippy posted:

First Female Sontaran Spotted.

Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-eeeeeeeeeeerd! Also lol.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

EngineerSean posted:

The only books I read that aren't written by women are books written by a man pretending to be a woman.

So Ann Radcliffe, Jane Austen and Dorothy Wordsworth?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Asking me not to read stuff by white guys is asking me not to read Warhammer 40k books and it'll be a cold day in hell when I stop reading shooty spess men.

daemonsultan
Dec 28, 2004

Hell, no. I'm not going to spend a total year of my reading time basing my choices on stuff like that. I read books because they're fun or good. Of course I read to broaden my perspective and I probably should read some LGBT stuff since I am a bit prejudiced against it. I worry that it's all going to be like L-Word all over the place. I guess I need to read a book to prove myself wrong.

I have read for example Burroughs, Le Guin and Selby in my youth and they had a huge impact on me. Of course Selby wasn't gay but I still would put him in the genre. The thing is that these were good books and I didn't care, and still don't, what the writers sexual orientation or gender identity is or was.

What bugs me is that you must take a stand, and I don't want that. Then again, I'm pretty much cis middle-aged hetero white male, so it seems it doesn't really matter what I think. Others have already decided that.

I really need a trip to Fuckthisville.

edit:bad sentence

daemonsultan fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 8, 2016

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

huskarl_marx posted:

counter-counter-challenge-challenge:

shut the gently caress up forever

this but just everyone

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Whorelord posted:

Are Turks white?

dedice for yourself

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

daemonsultan posted:

Hell, no. I'm not going to spend a total year of my reading time basing my choices on stuff like that. I read books because they're fun or good. Of course I read to broaden my perspective and I probably should read some LGBT stuff since I am a bit prejudiced against it. I worry that it's all going to be like L-Word all over the place. I guess I need to read a book to prove myself wrong.

I have read for example Burroughs, Le Guin and Selby in my youth and they had a huge impact on me. Of course Selby wasn't gay but I still would put him in the genre. The thing is that these were good books and I didn't care, and still don't, what the writers sexual orientation or gender identity is or was.

What bugs me is that you must take a stand, and I don't want that. Then again, I'm pretty much cis middle-aged hetero white male, so it seems it doesn't really matter what I think. Others have already decided that.

i did not read any of this

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

daemonsultan posted:

Yeah I hate Others too

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Penn Gillette is a tranny now?

Pulp Can Move
Oct 4, 2012
i hope maurice sendak was gay because this lady looks like two of the wild things hosed each other and had a baby!!

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Pulp Can Move posted:

i hope maurice sendak was gay because this lady looks like two of the wild things hosed each other and had a baby!!

he was

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I read the collected Best American Essays 2011 edited by Edwidge Danticat and almost every one was: WOW My Wacky Immigrant Family PLEASE NOTICE MY FRESH NEW VOICE PLEASE LIKE ME

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
There was also a short, interesting essay by Hitchens begging that he didn't want to die lmao

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

it's extremely good that leftists now campaign for total societal segregation on grounds of race and sexuality

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ProperCoochie posted:

I read the collected Best American Essays 2011 edited by Edwidge Danticat and almost every one was: WOW My Wacky Immigrant Family PLEASE NOTICE MY FRESH NEW VOICE PLEASE LIKE ME

Don't decry Edwidge Danticant ITT cretin

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

How would this work for non-fiction?

In popular history alone, except for the greats like Barbara Tuchman and Doris Kearns Goodwin, it's mostly male. The more specific you get, the more that's the case?

By the time you're down History > Ancient > European > Roman > Late Antiquity you're basically left with a handful of Oxford PhDs like Chris Wickham.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Do Mariama Ba and Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o count because they are African? Or are they out because they're cis and het?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I can't loving read and this is stupid as poo poo.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Does orson scott card count? Between his outspoken hatred of the gays and all his books spending an unusual amount of time featuring scenes with nude boys there is no way the guy isn't a self loathing closet homo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Yossarian posted:

I can't loving read and this is stupid as poo poo.

Read ~~this~~ you porky beyotch

• Locked thread