Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Robot Danger posted:

I need someone to help me out. I took a long break from Stormlight Archives right about the halfway point of book two. I was able to pick it back up without having to start over again, but there is one thing I cannot remember for the life of me: how did Shallen get a shard blade? I know she is able to manipulate stormlight because of her connection to Pattern, but I cannot remember her getting a blade. She busted one out in the chasm and surprised me.

That's actually one of the more important revelations of the book. You will find out more later, I don't think you're supposed to know how she got her shardblade yet. If you truly want to know, you can read my spoiler, but it's a big one.

Pattern IS her shardblade. Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Trying not to make the spoiler too obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012
Oh OK, cool - thanks for the warning.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
There are a few late/end reveals in the 2nd book that make any rereads a little more interesting too. One in particular is a character who seems a little different at times and the end of book 2 explains exactly why.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

Robot Danger posted:

I need someone to help me out. I took a long break from Stormlight Archives right about the halfway point of book two. I was able to pick it back up without having to start over again, but there is one thing I cannot remember for the life of me: how did Shallen get a shard blade? I know she is able to manipulate stormlight because of her connection to Pattern, but I cannot remember her getting a blade. She busted one out in the chasm and surprised me.

Full reveal coming in flashbacks, later in the book

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Robot Danger posted:

In The Way of Kings there are several extremely strong hints that she has it

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Evil Fluffy posted:

There are a few late/end reveals in the 2nd book that make any rereads a little more interesting too. One in particular is a character who seems a little different at times and the end of book 2 explains exactly why.

Who are you talking about? I can't recall anybody matching your description.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Who are you talking about? I can't recall anybody matching your description.

I forgot their name but I think fluffy is talking about Adolin's little brother.

I don't actually remember what they're talking about, but that's the only character that seems to fit. I should re-read these soon.

Xemloth
Mar 27, 2011

Wait, what?

I think they're talking about the king guy who's name I can't remember, smarter on some days but less compassionate and the opposite

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

senae posted:

I forgot their name but I think fluffy is talking about Adolin's little brother.

I don't actually remember what they're talking about, but that's the only character that seems to fit. I should re-read these soon.

Correct. What I'm talking about is: (book 2 end spoilers)

His brother isn't the healthiest person, however at one point you see a character (Adolin or Dalinar I believe) mention how Renarin isn't wearing his glasses. At the end of book 2 it's commented that he stopped wearing his glasses because his vision was healed with stormlight. He also froze up when summoning a shardblade because he could hear its screams, as could one of the other fighters (who either heard it because of Renarin or Kaladin, or because they're also awakening as a Radiant). There may also be a comment by someone about how Renarin is running around or doing something that he normally wouldn't be able to do due to his sickness.

Though he's not the only one with a subtle or blink-and-you-missed-it interesting development. One I noticed on my first read but didn't think on fully until a reread was with (different character, more book 2 spoilers) Elhokar and the fact he's also apparently a radiant. IIRC he mentions to Kaladin about how he can see people/things watching him, and he describes the spren like Pattern than Shallan kept subconsciously drawing when she'd take a memory of something. He also mentions how they stop showing up when Kaladin is there which makes sense because Pattern does the same thing to try and avoid him and Syl. It also shows his "people are watching me WHY WON'T YOU BELIEVE ME" paranoia in a new light because he really is being followed and watched constantly.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Well, I avoided reading this thread until I finished Words of Radiance, and that was two(?) years ago, I think. Well, I finally finished it today and it had quite the ending. really interested to see what happened with Jasnah and what will happen with Szeth. I also really hope we get to see all these other people awakening as radiants that we get to see in the Interlude chapters. One of them still bugs me because I can't figure it out and that's the Trader that goes to the Reshi "island." I like how we finally get closure to Shallan's story about what really happened with her mother, and it kinda makes you feel bad for the Father, but just a little. I was always trying to figure out why she was able to summon a blade and it didn't scream or why Pattern didn't seem to object to it. I had always assumed that she took it from her father somehow because it was implied that she had killed him, but when you find out how she did, no blade materialized.

I haven't read any posts as I finished it about an hour ago. I just wanted to post my initial reaction.

edit: Oh, I forgot about Adolin murdering Sadeas. I really thought it wouldn't come to that and he would be able to hold back. I really hope that doesn't mean his character starts getting darker because of it :(

pakman fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jan 4, 2016

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

pakman posted:

Well, I avoided reading this thread until I finished Way of Kings, and that was two(?) years ago, I think. Well, I finally finished it today and it had quite the ending. really interested to see what happened with Jasnah and what will happen with Szeth. I also really hope we get to see all these other people awakening as radiants that we get to see in the Interlude chapters. One of them still bugs me because I can't figure it out and that's the Trader that goes to the Reshi "island." I like how we finally get closure to Shallan's story about what really happened with her mother, and it kinda makes you feel bad for the Father, but just a little. I was always trying to figure out why she was able to summon a blade and it didn't scream or why Pattern didn't seem to object to it. I had always assumed that she took it from her father somehow because it was implied that she had killed him, but when you find out how she did, no blade materialized.

I haven't read any posts as I finished it about an hour ago. I just wanted to post my initial reaction.

edit: Oh, I forgot about Adolin murdering Sadeas. I really thought it wouldn't come to that and he would be able to hold back. I really hope that doesn't mean his character starts getting darker because of it :(
By Way of Kings you mean Words of Radiance, right? Because those are spoilers for Words of Radiance.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Words of Radiance, Szeth, Reshi
Szeth's death was changed by Sanderson recently:
http://brandonsanderson.com/three-stories-in-new-formats/
The traders on a Reshi island are given a larkin which can absorb storm light from people:
http://stormlightarchive.wikia.com/wiki/Larkin

Also, chapter four of Bands of Mourning is out:
http://www.tor.com/2016/01/04/excerpts-brandon-sanderson-the-bands-of-mourning-chapter-four/

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

The Gardenator posted:

Words of Radiance, Szeth
Szeth's death was changed by Sanderson recently:
http://brandonsanderson.com/three-stories-in-new-formats/

My first readthrough of WoR was a while after it was first published and I read the paperback, and I had no idea about the change. So when I went back to read through the thread for discussion, I was really confused why people were getting angry at a certain part that I didn't remember happening at all. I just kept thinking, "What? No, that's not what happened, how are so many people misreading the book!?"

Then that blog-post was posted in the thread (when it was originally written, but I came across it well after that), and only then I realized "OooooooooooOOOOOoooohhhhh, Sanderson changed a major plotpoint between publishings, *thats* why everybody is seemingly getting upset with something I didn't read."

Guess it was good he changed it, since a bunch of people in the thread were complaining about that bit.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

After reading all the sample chapters, Bands of Mourning can't be released soon enough!
:f5:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Only read sample Ch1. Staying strong.

Did they only release the one sample chapter for Calamity?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Rygar201 posted:

After reading all the sample chapters, Bands of Mourning can't be released soon enough!
:f5:

Bands of mourning has a top-secret era 1 novella that is going to be released simultaneously

mewse
May 2, 2006

Am I weird for not wanting to read this slow trickle of chapters on webpages?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Nah, I read Chapter 1 and it was a mistake because I wanted to read the rest of the book and instead I was left hanging and waiting...

waiting...

:emo:

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

mewse posted:

I read some chapters last time and it was a bad idea, I'm with you this time.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Evil Fluffy posted:

Nah, I read Chapter 1 and it was a mistake because I wanted to read the rest of the book and instead I was left hanging and waiting...

waiting...

:emo:

At least with the big man the waiting is always short.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

mewse posted:

I've always felt the same way. Reading a book at a time and having to wait afterwards is bad enough, I don't want to read a chapter at a time.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

What's bad about it? Maybe with infinite spare time I'd agree but I read and watch everything spread over so many months anyway that these sample chapter things Sanderson, Butcher (and many othjers I guess) have done lately blend right in

mewse
May 2, 2006

mallamp posted:

What's bad about it? Maybe with infinite spare time I'd agree but I read and watch everything spread over so many months anyway that these sample chapter things Sanderson, Butcher (and many othjers I guess) have done lately blend right in

What irked me with Shadows of Self was that I read the first few chapters as they dribbled out online and then it was months before I actually got my hands on the novel. Because of the delay I had this deja vu feeling when I read the first chapters in the actual novel. My swiss cheese memory is probably not helping the situation.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

mewse posted:

My swiss cheese memory is probably not helping the situation.

For me it's this.

Also your boxing is not helping with that situation either. :)

mewse
May 2, 2006

The good news is that I haven't taken a shot to the noggin for several months. The bad news is that I've gained 50 lbs.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

mewse posted:

The good news is that I haven't taken a shot to the noggin for several months. The bad news is that I've gained 50 lbs.

A shot that you remember anyways.

mewse
May 2, 2006

subx posted:

A shot that you remember anyways.

Yeah and I've gained 50 pounds, it sucks

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!

mewse posted:

Yeah and I've gained 50 pounds, it sucks

that's a hell of a punch

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

enigma105 posted:

that's a hell of a punch

also one hell of a paunch

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

I think the sample chapters are like movie trailers except they don't spoil best scenes so I'm just really happy about that trend.. One small (but sometimes really annoying) minus is that I have to read them on tablet instead of kobo

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I know everyone is avoiding the prerelease chapters, but... Steris, you are loving adorable. :allears:

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 14, 2016

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

rndmnmbr posted:

I know everyone is avoiding the prerelease chapters, but... Steris, you are loving adorable.

Seriously. I find myself liking her more and more with each of their interactions.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
Preview chapter spoilers, does anyone else feel Sanderson is trying to set it up so the book ends with Wayne with Steris and Wax with Marasi? It seems like something he would do, and with Wayne 'breaking up' with Renette, and the tension between him and Steris it wouldn't surprise me if that's how Sanderson clears the way for Wax to woo Marasi. And finding a way to deal with Wayne's unplannable self gives Steris an opportunity to grow as a character.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Raposa posted:

Preview chapter spoilers, does anyone else feel Sanderson is trying to set it up so the book ends with Wayne with Steris and Wax with Marasi? It seems like something he would do, and with Wayne 'breaking up' with Renette, and the tension between him and Steris it wouldn't surprise me if that's how Sanderson clears the way for Wax to woo Marasi. And finding a way to deal with Wayne's unplannable self gives Steris an opportunity to grow as a character.

I was thinking mostly the opposite that that Wax would stay with Steris. I'm not sure about Wayne and Marasi, though. Maybe Wayne and Melaan, hah!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rygar201 posted:

I was thinking mostly the opposite that that Wax would stay with Steris. I'm not sure about Wayne and Marasi, though. Maybe Wayne and Melaan, hah!

Agreed. And I think I would be somewhat disappointed if Wax doesn't end up, in some way, in love with Steris when this is all done. The Wayne/Marsai I'm not too sure about.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Holy poo poo I just finished Way of Kings after an 8 hour session and I loved it. Kaladin is the best.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

blue squares posted:

Holy poo poo I just finished Way of Kings after an 8 hour session and I loved it. Kaladin is the best.
I think you're officially fired from serious lit thread
Words of Radiance is even better though

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

So I'm almost halfway through Words of Radiance. At this point I feel like it could be half as long because most characters are spinning their wheels and making little progress, though at the same time I am enjoying it.

Also, Kaladin's lighteyes hate continues to be silly and every time Shallan is being "clever" she is actually being very unfunny.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 18, 2016

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Last sample chapter is up.

Wax and Steris are adorable :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

blue squares posted:

So I'm almost halfway through Words of Radiance. At this point I feel like it could be half as long because most characters are spinning their wheels and making little progress, though at the same time I am enjoying it.

First half is getting everything in place for a really strong back half. I think it works really well for that book :)