Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

We didn't even get the moment of truth! What a ripoff!

Nope. Calling bullshit on this one.
Why would they think for a moment that it was their house on fire? They're far enough away that they had to drive there- it's not like the fire truck was pulling up across the street from the diner. Do they panic every single time they hear a siren?
Unless it's because they know they live in the Funkyverse, where all life is suffering.

That's my rant. "Enjoy" some "quality" comics:

Broom Hilda

Odonata Posting Corp Presents:
Gasoline Alley - the bastard lovechild of Mark Trail and Rose is Rose!

BOING!

And enjoy a genuinely good comic:

Heavenly Nostrils

Big Nate

Ziggy - Take that, Obama!

Ye Olde Fox Trot

Cul de Sac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Nenonen posted:

In a way yes, but on a far more anarchist note. Gilchrist Nancy is all about Christian mission, Viet Nam vets, dead country singers and boobs. I haven't seen Bushmiller strips about Spanish-American War veterans but I could be ignorant.

Well, I guess this could be a Gilchrist cartoon. All it needs is some tears, a salutation to the vets and boobs.

Let's not forget that Bushmiller's Nancy existed mostly in a bubble apart from the pop culture of the outside world. Gilchrist, on the other hand, has wasted entire weeks pandering to his Baby Boomer demo by doing nothing but drawing or namechecking people, characters, and other stuff they remember. If a Bushmiller Nancy strip exists where the "punchline" was HERE'S THAT THING YOU USED TO LIKE!, I've never seen it. That alone makes the classic era infinitely less insufferable.

e: Okay, I found one. And it's still apples and oranges.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 9, 2016

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

ikanreed posted:

Wait, I don't actually get what's different about Nancy. The old strip still seemed a bit like it was aimed at a saccharine tone.

Old-timey Nancy was a little poo poo

Odonata posted:

And enjoy a genuinely good comic:

Heavenly Nostrils

So, there is a Hell.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Odonata posted:

Nope. Calling bullshit on this one.
Why would they think for a moment that it was their house on fire? They're far enough away that they had to drive there- it's not like the fire truck was pulling up across the street from the diner. Do they panic every single time they hear a siren?
Unless it's because they know they live in the Funkyverse, where all life is suffering.

That's my rant. "Enjoy" some "quality" comics:

Crankshaft has a chimney fire every year because he neglects to get a chimney cleaning service to come and clean out any of the random crap that collects in there throughout the off season. This passes for a running joke in the Funkyverse.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Calaveron posted:

Holy gently caress is the silver age poo poo in funky winkerbean the most aggravating poo poo ever. Just write down "yes the corporate people in the creative industries are bad" on a semen-smeared strip of paper and send it in for print.

Anytime anything, anything at all happens at that stupid comics company they bitch about how old-times comics men didn't have to deal with this! and then we all have to watch the old-time comics doppelgängers deal with it for a week.

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Shannon's entirely disinterested father is constantly dumping her on his sister. Once Aunt Toni has her, the excuse is always different but the consequence is always the same: Shannon is always pushed off onto the first warm body that can be found. She is one of the only characters in Luann that I actually feel sorry for (the other being Tiffany, sometimes). And of course I'm not supposed to feel sorry for this neglected child because she is "a brat."

Whoa for some reason it's mega important that I discuss the wedding that's nine months away RIGHT NOW with a person we see literally every day!! Gotta run I can't hear you sorry Shannooooonnnn!!

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

Shugojin posted:

Crankshaft has a chimney fire every year because he neglects to get a chimney cleaning service to come and clean out any of the random crap that collects in there throughout the off season. This passes for a running joke in the Funkyverse.

I thank you for clearing that up.
I pity you for knowing it in the first place.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Wanamingo posted:

Why would that need to be fixed?

Be...cause it's wrong? this is the 16th one and no-one itt has a dresssphere.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Shannon's entirely disinterested father is constantly dumping her on his sister. Once Aunt Toni has her, the excuse is always different but the consequence is always the same: Shannon is always pushed off onto the first warm body that can be found. She is one of the only characters in Luann that I actually feel sorry for (the other being Tiffany, sometimes). And of course I'm not supposed to feel sorry for this neglected child because she is "a brat."

I am glad to see Shannon show up, because her brutal kid honesty and plain talk will sort both Luann and Bernice's problems out. She'll get to say what the readers have been hollering at the strip for months.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Be...cause it's wrong? this is the 16th one and no-one itt has a dresssphere.

We're actually on the 15th chronologically, but this one comes after part ten.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Darthemed posted:

Pre-emptive subtitle suggestion for whenever the thread title gets changed to fix the numbering: In days of A3-G
This is the tenth comic strip megathread not counting the Foob threads, but there was already one labelled ten, so this is ten-two. It's also consistent with the thread numbers being arbitrary, inaccurate, and/or confusing. :downs:

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Moomin

Classic Dilbert

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Julet Esqu posted:

So, there is a Hell.

Well, Reagan would be there. So yeah, sounds hellish.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

One thing I gotta hand to Radio Patrol is that while on the surface it might not look like much, it's not afraid to be completely nuts from time to time. :allears:

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbusts of Everett True

Julet Esqu posted:

Old-timey Nancy was a little poo poo
These would be fighting words, but I'm posting Fritzi Ritz, so it doesn't apply.
Fritzi Ritz

Sick, Sick, Sick (click for big)

Wee Pals

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Out Our Way (July 23-24, 1928)

Pogo gets to the point already. (January 10, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Four (January 7-10, 1954)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Slammy posted:

These would be fighting words, but I'm posting Fritzi Ritz, so it doesn't apply.

Don't get me wrong, I quite enjoy the old Nancy comics (and Fritzi Ritz). But that child was a (delightful) little poo poo. It's nice to read a comic written back when children were still allowed to be shown getting up to mischief. Comics where the children always have to be wholesome little angels are nauseating (see: Family Circus, Dennis the Menace, and Modern Nancy).

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Slammy posted:

Outbusts of Everett True

My favorite old comics are the ones that are relevant nearly a century later.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Slammy posted:

Outbusts of Everett True

We need Everett True now more than ever.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Slammy posted:

Outbusts of Everett True

I do like the latter, but why is Everett going to a barber's shop in the first place?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Samovar posted:

I do like the latter, but why is Everett going to a barber's shop in the first place?

Probably for a shave; men weren't considered capable of shaving themselves in those days.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sharay
Apr 19, 2008

What? :psyduck:

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Dolly just took an enormous poo poo.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

You know, not a whole lot of things use disposable batteries these days. I can't say I miss them.

Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Skippy (November 10, 1928)

Peanuts (December 30, 1968)

Mopey Pete's Silver Age Daydream turns out to be an extended teaser for another fake comic book cover Sunday strip.

Meanwhile, Crankshaft isn't even singed, dammit!

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (July 25-26, 1928)

Thimble Theater mocks our expectations by doing something immediately instead of talking about it for a few weeks. (July 29, 1929)

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Even Mark Trail's gratuitous animal pictures are getting more violent.

Pearls Before Swine

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I like that Gilchrist thought he needed a whole panel of exposition on what a thermos is. Can't assume too much existing knowledge when you're making a SOME GIZMO strip!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Hey, holy poo poo! Somebody's exercising the power of critical thinking in the comments section at GoComics! Is this allowed?

I could have cropped out the extra comment, but I left it in there for contrast and sheer :psyduck:. I leave it to you all to work out for yourselves which is which.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Sulley, is that you?

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That's an unusual position for the unicorn horn, going for the rhino position rather than the antler.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Bullshit, pluggers don't exercise at gyms. At the most they go and sit in the sauna at the Eagles Hall before the fish fry while their wives play bingo.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

goatface posted:

That's an unusual position for the unicorn horn, going for the rhino position rather than the antler.

But more importantly, why are the rabbits white when it's not winter?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Wanamingo posted:

Arlo and Janis

I would like to point out that the panicking woman is clearly standing on a walkway, presumably in front of her house. She decided that sprinting away from her home was the wisest choice of action.

Also what is up with Arlo and Janis' neighbors? They all seem so paranoid.
Every time I try to think about what that guy is talking about, my mind recoils at what it might be.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 9, 2016

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbusts of Everett True

Fritzi Ritz

Sick, Sick, Sick (click for big)

Wee Pals

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Remember Kevin and Kell

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Slammy posted:

Outbusts of Everett True

Everett calls his own wife "Mrs. True"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's a very old timey thing.

• Locked thread