Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ham Shears gone, A3G gone, The Creeps gone, and yet 9 Chickweed Lane goes on and on forever and King Features continues to insist that Intelligent Life is funny. The future is bleak.

Comic strips. Old ones, new ones, American ones, Finnish ones, good, bad, or incomprehensible, this is the thread for them. As long as it ran in a newspaper it goes here. Anything on Comics Kingdom or GoComics is fair game, but if you really want to drive the thread wild, scan some classics you've got lying around. Don't worry about who normally posts it or whether anyone wants to see it, if it's a newspaper comic you can post it. If you want to go the extra mile, you can tell us all about it as well. And if someone's posting a comic you don't like, that's what your scroll wheel is for.

:justpost:

Our Noble Lineage

1. For Better or for Worse, here we go again
  2. For Better or For Worse II, The Sun May Get in 56kers' Eyes
  3. For Better or For Worse III: Who need this?!?
  4. For Better or For Worse Megathread
  5. The Comic Strip Megathread: Luann's Funky For Better Minimum Security
  6. The Comic Strip Megathread V - Just Another Uneventful Lesbian Road Trip
  7. The Comic Strip Megathread V, Part 3 - Dick and Jane Go to the Goddamn Bank
  8. Comic Strip Megathread V, Part 4: Thalidomide Theater: Day of the Jackelrod
  9. Comic Strip Megathread Part Ten: Infections and Gams... FOR ME! BARB ELS!
  10. Comic Strip Megathread Part 11: drat that's a fine elephant.
  11. Comic Strip Megathread Part XII: Reply All is the best comic in this thread
  12. Comic Strip Megathread XIII: Still can't get over it!
  13. Comic Strip Megathread XIV: Happy After Death 2013!
  14. Comic Strip Megathread XV: So smile, Margo, and move on.

Comics

King Features Syndicate's Comic's Kingdom
Universal Uclick's GoComics (basically everything that isn't King Features)
Darkgate Comic Slurper (another place to get comics)
The Houston Chronicle (and another option)
The Seattle Post-Intelligencer (one more for luck)

People Who Like Comics

Archie Out of Context
The Comics Curmudgeon
Comics For the Blind
Dean's Comic Booth
Heathcliff Explained
The Lovely Ladies of Apartment 3-G
Luann DeGroot on Twitter
Mary Worth and Me
Mary Worth Remix
MRA Dilbert
Reynard Noir
Scott Meets Family Circus
Son of Stuck Funky
This Week in Milford

Image Hosting

Imgur (basically your best option)
Tinypic
Xomf
Minus

The other thing we like to do here is make comics better. It's not much of a challenge, but it keeps us off the streets. You can do it too!

Image Editing

Paint .NET (Windows)
Seashore (OSX)
Pixelr (web)
GIMP

(By Forktoss)

Fonts

Blambot comic fonts
FBofW by KentuckyFriedBonBon
Jane's World by Haikeeba!
Luannfont by Haikeeba!
Minimum Security by Haikeeba!
Pearls by Haikeeba!
Gamgasm by Haikeeba!

Edits

9 Chickweed Lane by Say Nothing

Apartment 3-G by Tiggum

Apartment 3-G by greatn

https://clyp.it/mngolsfd

Dustin by R Ubbish

Foob by FactsAreUseless

Funky Winkerbean by Tiggum

Hi and Lois by Tiggum

Judge Parker by R Ubbish

Luann by Say Nothing

Mandrake the Magician by FactsAreUseless

Mark Trail by Borden

Mark Trail by R Ubbish

Nancy by Borden

Nancy by AxeManiac

Phoebe and Her Unicorn by Cricken_Nigfops

Rex Morgan by Say Nothing

Spider-Man by R Ubbish

Spider-Man by FactsAreUseless

Whatever the gently caress this is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG1VIvldVJc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm092Vp8ISw

If you've got some other edits from the last thread you'd like to repost, repost them. If you've got some new edits, post them. And always remember

:fireman:

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

ilu r ubbish

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Let's not forget what's on the first page of a GIS for "fappo"!

If anyone has the rest of these comics, please post them. I lost my collection a few phones ago.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!
A few assorted edits over the years:

by Unknown

Axemaniac

Forktoss

Tiggum gives us the rightful reaction to many of the strips we post

R Ubbish

R Ubbish

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I fell out of reading the previous thread and I'm 21391 posts behind, did I miss anything

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Cicadalek posted:

I fell out of reading the previous thread and I'm 21391 posts behind, did I miss anything

No

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Kumaton posted:

Let's not forget what's on the first page of a GIS for "fappo"!

If anyone has the rest of these comics, please post them. I lost my collection a few phones ago.

They're by Jay Pinkerton and are on his website.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Cicadalek posted:

90% of comics are poo poo

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
And now, a few more from the Hall of Fame.

(Borden!)

(um...attribution missing. Pffft.)

(David's Package)

(Depressing Box)

And now, a salute to the unsung hero of threads past: A BRICK.

(Doctor rear end in a top hat)

(Sir Lemming)

(Borden, AxeManiac, and whoever kicked in the original live action GIF)

And then, there are things like this...

(Not a clue.)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 1, 2016

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
9 junji Lane.

I'll see what other various stuff I have left later.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
No Everett True in the OP? Shameful.

Moomin

Classic Dilbert

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

I love you, homie.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
Can someone post the recent Spider-Man edits from the last thread? I should really remember them clearer since they were my favorite thing but I lost my bookmark to the imgur page since then and all I can remember is Black Widow saying something like "You're getting a phonecall. For murder." (recollection may or may not be completely wrong)

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Amazed by a comic? Appalled? Here's a ready comment!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Tiggum posted:

Mark Trail by Borden

And then, things took a turn...

THIS IS BORDEN-MANIA. (Last thread edition)

The Guy Gilchrist Wing.

Thank you for your service, and don't be a stranger.

See you next adventure!

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Cicadalek posted:

The biggest thing you might've missed was the utter insanity of Apartment 3G before it got canceled. The artist and the writer seemed to actively be at war with each other so that the dialogue and the pictures made no sense at all together. Things like the dialogue indicating Margo was at a diner ordering breakfast, but the artwork showing her walking down a city street, so she seemed to be shouting her order at random people as she passed them. Or dialogue indicating people were visiting her in the hospital and again artwork showing them walking down city streets, making it seem like her hospital room was the city streets. It was weird, even for newspaper comics.

And then it got canceled and they didn't really give it an ending, just spent the last week with a couple side characters vaguely talking about side plots to try and wrap them up I guess. Only one of the three main characters even showed up at the end.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Foob by FactsAreUseless

Holy poo poo, I forgot I ever did this. Where the gently caress did you find it? I have a bunch of my Spider-Man edits (sadly, the first half or so are permanently lost), thanks to GorfZaplen, but I don't remember this one at all.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

Holy poo poo, I forgot I ever did this. Where the gently caress did you find it? I have a bunch of my Spider-Man edits (sadly, the first half or so are permanently lost), thanks to GorfZaplen, but I don't remember this one at all.

That probably means you were drunk or something when you made it, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Six Chix

Six Chix is gimmick comic done by 6 different women; each has their own day with them rotating on sundays. Two of them are good and the rest are crap.

Zippy the Pinhead

Zippy the Pinhead is one of the old underground comix that somehow survives to this day. Most people don't like it, and I don't blame them. The person who makes it is actually a really good artist, and sometimes this shines through.

Nancy

Nancy is a legacy comic that's mostly focused around tits, religion, and nostalgia for the 1950s.

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis is about an old married couple who have sex a lot.

Andertoons

Andertoons is mostly graph and boardroom jokes, I like it.

Wanamingo fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 1, 2016

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Wanamingo posted:

That probably means you were drunk or something when you made it, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
I used to do a lot of edits around 4 a.m. while I was getting ready for work.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

There's MJ in all those things.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

I used to do a lot of edits around 4 a.m. while I was getting ready for work.

It's probably not a good idea to be drinking right before you head to work, but hey, I'm not gonna judge.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

I just skimmed the post histories of a few regular posters in the last thread to see if I could find any good edits. So, sorry to anyone who feels left out, it wasn't intentional. I just couldn't go through the entire thread.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Tiggum posted:

I just skimmed the post histories of a few regular posters in the last thread to see if I could find any good edits. So, sorry to anyone who feels left out, it wasn't intentional. I just couldn't go through the entire thread.

I bookmarked a large collection of SA comic edits over on Imgur that someone had put up some time ago: http://imgur.com/a/YGxoy

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I bookmarked a large collection of SA comic edits over on Imgur that someone had put up some time ago: http://imgur.com/a/YGxoy

Hey, Pluggers. I haven't thought about that comic in a while, I wonder what it's up to.

Oh.

e:

quote:

Tom Wright said, 1 day ago

I remember when you could remark to a female co-worker something llike, “That’s a gay scarf you have today”. These days she’ll take a brick out of her purse and knock you upside the head. What a beautiful word that has been hijacked from the English language!

quote:

Marko56 said, 1 day ago

I’ve always resented when prurient interests have commandeered words to serve their interests, when there were already perfectly good words/terms to use.

quote:

Perkycat GoComics PRO Member said, about 22 hours ago

@Marko56

I totally agree! Gay used to be a fun, happy word. Why not make up a new word instead of ruining a good one.

quote:

Dogday88 GoComics PRO Member said, about 22 hours ago

@Perkycat

We don’t need to make up a new word instead of highjacking “gay”. A word already exists and I use it instead. If everything is so righty-fine-OK, why not just call it what it is?

quote:

comicsssfan said, about 20 hours ago

I think gay people who choose to marry and live together are honest, good people. It’s the closet cases who marry straights and make their lives miserable that are the real problem. Or if you have 2 gays who are of the opposite sex marry, that’s also great!

A gay and a straight of the opposite sex are never going to get along well. The gay will marry a straight because they can push them around easily. It’s purely for convenience. This is dishonest. The straights should be left for the straights.

Wanamingo fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 1, 2016

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Pluggers are desperately trying to justify bringing the word fag back into common practice without actually saying it.

Mark Trail, by contrast, is quite comfortable being fabulous:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Aaaaand we have our first "I checked and it isn't an edit".

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
What in the actual gently caress, Jam Esallen?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Note to Cicadalek: There was one other important thing that happened during the previous thread: Bloom County came back to us last summer. It came without warning, but it came just the same. :allears:

Bloom County 2015 is taking the week off, but this is where it goes when it's around. Berke posts it to Facebook (usually on a five-a-week schedule), but as a former print strip it's grandfathered in. (Berkeley Breathed)

Skippy, as summed up by Don Markstein: "Once, the name "Skippy" was associated in the public consciousness with an extremely popular comic strip about a little boy and his small town adventures. Comics historian and critic Coulton Waugh (whose cartooning credentials included having taken over Dickie Dare from Milton Caniff) said it "was no routine, ordinarily good job". It's no exaggeration to call it the Peanuts of its time. Now, the name only refers to a brand of peanut butter. There's a connection between the two, and the story behind it appears even more sordid than what's been going on between Disney and the licensor of Winnie the Pooh." (Percy Crosby; November 2, 1928)

Peanuts is the story of a group of adorably neurotic kids and an insurance salesman who moonlights as a World War I flying ace.

There are two Peanuts posts on most days. The morning(ish) shift is dedicated to the late-60s peak popularity era, while the evening is following the early 50s chronology down the road to perdition. (Charles Schulz; January 1, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean is a rib-tickling chucklefest about how everything you love decays and dies. It used to be the pun-laden adventures of a group of high school students, but then The Most Important Woman In The Universe died and everything went straight to Hell. The resulting product carries an overinflated air of self-importance, and yet still isn't ambitious enough to be Nihilist Arby's: The Comic Strip. (Tom "Goddamn" Batiuk)

I like most of the things I post on some level, but hatereads get all the reactions around here, so gently caress you, here's Crankshaft. It's the vaguely-connected-to-Funky story of an rear end in a top hat school bus driver and a bunch of people in his life whose names I'll probably never bother to learn before I get sick of the whole thing. (Tom "Goddamn" Batiuk/Chuck "You Can't Wash This Stain Off Your Soul" Ayers)

In 2015, Rip Haywire reset his timeline in a way that's only accessible to high concept fictional characters and tapped-out Hollywood studios, but the strip is still about a square-jawed globe-trotting man of adventure, his talking dog, and the adorable ginger who took over his life. (Dan Thompson)

Out Our Way is the original "clip it for the refrigerator" cartoon panel. It's about cowboys, machine shop workers, turn-of-the-century small town nostalgia, sibling rivalry, high-strung mothers, and (of course) BOYZENDORGS. (J.R. Williams; July 6-7, 1928)

Elzie Segar's Thimble Theater is the story of Castor Oyl, a sawed-off runt and opportunist, his sister Olive, and her longtime boyfriend Ham Gravy. Only one of them figures into the long-term future of the strip, but not even Segar knows that yet.

After several years of beating the drum for a certain mutant sailor, this back-to-the-beginning strip is the only Popeye strip I'm posting right now, and at the moment he isn't even in it. Give it time. This is all about waking up to destiny. (July 20, 1929)

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Man with eyes like that, I think it's safe to say Mark Trail's new pal is an anime.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

SomeMathGuy posted:

Pluggers are desperately trying to justify bringing the word fag back into common practice without actually saying it.

Mark Trail, by contrast, is quite comfortable being fabulous:

I suspected these were edits and when I got to the cartoonishly absurd goony fellow in the middle panel on the last one, my suspicions were confirmed.

Then I went to Comics Kingdom to grab my soaps for the morning and saw that Mark Trail is the sample strip.

These are not edits. These are not edits at all.

Since I mostly post soaps and this is a new thread, I'll give a brief summary of where we are in the various storylines.

Luann is worried that her Aussie boyfriend Quill might be banging a theater chick named Prudence. Even worse, Pru is moving into Luann's house to add drama! So now Luann is totally pissed at Quill and they're fighting about it. (It may be worth noting that although Quill has been friends with Pru for like a year, this is the first he's heard that Luann isn't cool with it.)

Accurate representation of an 18 year old girl doing a poor job of handling her first grown-up relationship? Luann just being a dillweed? Opinions are mixed! Keep reading and perhaps one day the secrets of the Evanses will be revealed to you!

In The Amazing Spider-Man, Namor has his panties in an uproar because all us land-dwellers keep dumping our poo poo (figurative and literal) into the ocean and it's poisoning his dudes TO DEATH. He's tried a few tactics like yelling at cruise ships and yelling at the UN and yelling at Spider-man and carting a sick kid around as a prop, but the upshot is that if we land people don't agree to quit murdering his people with our negligence, he's going to murder us with his warships. Spider-Man will not stand for this.

Also MJ and some doctor lady who I guess isn't actually a Marvel Character even though she's presented as if we should know who she is both kidnapped the little sick kid (Pharus) and cured him of his pollution poisoning. Spidey was escorting the kid to safety, but then Pharus escaped and jumped back into the sea because Newspaper Spider-Man is bad at superheroing. And Namor had a crush on MJ, but he seems to be over it now.

Sally Forth is just doing some New Years series right now.

In The Heart of Juliet Jones, our pal Julie got on a train and bumped her head! Now she's lost in the Big City and has amnesia! Thankfully a couple of lower class types with hearts of gold took pity on her and took her in. They even got her a job as a scantily-clad seller of cigarettes in a seedy club!

Right now, known wealthy piece of poo poo Val Winston is trying to get into Julie's panties and she's got too many brain problems to properly fend him off! Hopefully her new broke buddies can help her out!

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way is the original "clip it for the refrigerator" cartoon panel. It's about cowboys, machine shop workers, turn-of-the-century small town nostalgia, sibling rivalry, high-strung mothers, and (of course) BOYZENDORGS. (J.R. Williams; July 6-7, 1928)

... plus content that seems horribly racist to us today, but was shockingly progressive for its time.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
A3G

Only four weeks left. All will be revealed and all will be resolved

To catch everyone who's new up, Greg left Margo because he felt she loved only Eric. He became a cabby and took Luann and Tommie to a bar which happened to be run by Eric. He called Eric a coward and was challenged to a duel.

A distraught Margo sought psychic counsel from the nefarious Diane who almost broke up her parents marriage. This same Diane blackmailed Margo's parents, Gabby and Martin, for $10,000 or else someone close to them would die. They left it at a drop point where Greg found it.

The duel commenced with Margo observing from a nearby building due to Diane's machinations. Eric shot Greg between the ribs, but Greg threw away his fire into the air. His shot hit Margo who has fallen from the sixth floor, and Martin blamed Diane and tracked her off to the same balcony. He fell in a dumpster while Diane, being a psychic, landed safely on an airbag she placed in advance.

greatn fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 1, 2016

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Julet Esqu posted:

These are not edits. These are not edits at all.

I don't think even my wildest thoughts would go with "Mark Trail as a glistening Adonis in bicycle shorts and an anime-eyed Goon," but then, I am not the great Jam Esallen.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

SomeMathGuy posted:

"Mark Trail as a glistening Adonis in bicycle shorts"

well it certainly got my attention

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Wait is that new art? I haven't followed the thread for a while cause it moves so fast but... Mark Trail has new art now? Is it not just an unending parade of clip art rearranged and pasted together in slightly different ways to make it into different stories?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Buff Trail is good.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

ChairMaster posted:

Wait is that new art? I haven't followed the thread for a while cause it moves so fast but... Mark Trail has new art now? Is it not just an unending parade of clip art rearranged and pasted together in slightly different ways to make it into different stories?

It's a bit weirder than that, as it seems to alternate between new artwork to fit the story and clip art for shots where the necessary clip art exists (Note the difference between Mark's face in the second to last strip as compared to the last strip I posted). Consequently, you get this weird combination where you'll spend multiple strips staring at Jackel Rod-style heads and then suddenly Mark Trail gets into an awesome fistfight with a bear.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Is Jam Esallen auditioning to be the next writer on The Phantom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Wanamingo posted:

Hey, Pluggers. I haven't thought about that comic in a while, I wonder what it's up to.

Oh.

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6wu81BEVBI

• Locked thread