Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

6 minutes in, it doesn't seem like it's Got punishable content, but I'm really bored. It's a bad namtab rec and ultimately I leave it to the mod to decide if I need probating for it for a period up to 2 days

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's Magical Girl Pretty Sammy only without the Tenchi characters and I think it's serious.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Tabi Machi Late Show was a nice little story, kinda like watching a josei manga in (semi) motion. It was easier to just listen and focus on the subs and sort of absorb whatever image was on screen peripherally than to watch normally, but since there's only going to be 4 and they're short I'll probably watch the rest.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Namtab posted:

6 minutes in, it doesn't seem like it's Got punishable content, but I'm really bored. It's a bad namtab rec and ultimately I leave it to the mod to decide if I need probating for it for a period up to 2 days
Boring but otherwise inoffensive; take Sunday off.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

Boring but otherwise inoffensive; take Sunday off.

24 hours???? harsh but fair

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Wow, I'm not saying the original Komugi-chan was a beloved classic or even very good, but the reboot took out anything vaguely interesting or entertaining about it. Like there's not a trace of the original Mugi's personality there, they just made her a generic genki idol instead of a selfish spoiled brat who's only good point was rolling with the punches while the show poo poo on her constantly.

Also it was an actual magical girl parody and not this weird earnestly dumb thing the reboot is trying to be. Now I'm doubly confused why they even bothered.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Waffleman_ posted:

The anime started three months after the manga started and ended 5 days after the manga ended, so they were pretty much running simultaneously. So it's probably because of the anime.

The manga was a monthly series, so this meant that the anime started when the manga only had three chapters, and must have started production some time before that.

I was unaware they ran so close alongside each other. I figured they woulda had plenty of content to start up from. Well things make a lot more sense to me now. Thanks for the info!

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

ConanThe3rd posted:

These are better looking but that doesn't matter if they don't animate worth a drat and given this is Toei they won't.

Also, they're calling this "Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal: Season 3" for reasons I don't even care to try to understand given Black Moon was a Story Arc in Season 1.

Then again, at this point I don't know why I'm even bothering to have a go at Toei given that they simply don't know any better and I might make better use of my time getting out of the way of the Steamroller rather than screaming at Austin Powers.

The fact that Digimon Tri came out relatively unscaved (though not streaming in the UK because their Europe Branch is it's own gaggle of pant gargeling wunderkind) is a "mistake" that I'm sure Toei will work to rectify in the other three releases.

Toei actually has lots of really good and talented staff. It just so happens that they're stuck dealing with too many adaptations at once so then some stuff, like Crystal, ends up getting farmed out to people whose only animation talent is getting stuff done fast, not well, and their really bad Philippine outsourcing studio.

And of course Digimon Tri looks good, it's a movie. It doesn't have to be animated within a specific timeframe like a weekly series does.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

And of course Digimon Tri looks good, it's a movie. It doesn't have to be animated within a specific timeframe like a weekly series does.
it was originally going to be a tv series and you can tell they just stapled some episodes together

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Endorph posted:

it was originally going to be a tv series and you can tell they just stapled some episodes together

I just mean in terms of animation quality, once it went from a TV series to a movie they would've been able to spend time having actual staff work on it rather than ending up with episodes with Mamoru Hoshino as AD, or episodes done by Toei Phils.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

crunchyroll picked up the live action wakako zake

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Davincie posted:

Yes! Now there just needs to be more of the anime!

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Davincie posted:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Davincie posted:

How do I get the crunchy roll?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Davincie posted:

Live action? How can real people capture Wakako's weird eyes

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

El Burbo posted:

Live action? How can real people capture Wakako's weird eyes

what if they wore a giant Wakako head costume

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

dogsicle posted:

what if they wore a giant Wakako head costume

Kinda like this?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

hmm

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

a kitten posted:

Kinda like this?

yes, but more like a bewildered cat

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

madmac posted:

Wow, I'm not saying the original Komugi-chan was a beloved classic or even very good, but the reboot took out anything vaguely interesting or entertaining about it. Like there's not a trace of the original Mugi's personality there, they just made her a generic genki idol instead of a selfish spoiled brat who's only good point was rolling with the punches while the show poo poo on her constantly.

Also it was an actual magical girl parody and not this weird earnestly dumb thing the reboot is trying to be. Now I'm doubly confused why they even bothered.

It's odd to me that someone would want to do a full show in a style that's usually reserved for spin-off gags like Chiru Chiru Michiru, TTGL Parallel Works, Higurashi Kira, etc.
But I can easily believe it'll turn out better than the original—a spin-off of a show no one cared about, that tried way too hard to be satire with its intentionally unlikable characters, awful running gags, and self-deprecatory statements on otaku culture. If you haven't seen it, recall how everyone took the "anime was a mistake" meme and ran it into the ground. That's it, that's the show.

It was animated decently with cute designs, and a lot of the reference gags were pretty drat good. all of it went to waste because Komugi has a flat chest!!! Komugi has a complex about her flat chest!!!!! watch everyone in the series poke fun at Komugi's flat chest and her complex about her flat chest!!!!!

If Komugi-chan R gets rolling it could end up being the lighthearted comedy that its predecessor was underneath the tsuntsun.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Where's the pshuuuuuuu?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Uh, that person is recognizably human and not a strange cat alien.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What makes it double down on how already completely awful that "Pandora's Box" gimmick is is that it's completely superfluous even in the context of the show. Clarine's is on a voice lock, and both cyborg girls have perfectly good GiTS-style neck ports. They wrote around their show's own series bible just to do that :cripes:.

Also, https://www.animelab.com/shows/luck--logic]Luck & Logic is now up on AnimeLab, Lucy.
Thanks!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Watched new Komugi. It was indeed straight played Magical Girl, and that's just perfect. Definitely a crossing of Pretty Sammy, Cardcaptor Sakura, and then some original stuff.
Actually, the whole beginning of the episode was played off Cardcaptor Sakura, with foreboding dream sequence, waking up in bedroom (which is almost exactly the same layout), rushing down for breakfast, and getting comments from sibling and parent.

Probably going to like this.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Space Flower posted:

It's odd to me that someone would want to do a full show in a style that's usually reserved for spin-off gags like Chiru Chiru Michiru, TTGL Parallel Works, Higurashi Kira, etc.
But I can easily believe it'll turn out better than the original—a spin-off of a show no one cared about, that tried way too hard to be satire with its intentionally unlikable characters, awful running gags, and self-deprecatory statements on otaku culture. If you haven't seen it, recall how everyone took the "anime was a mistake" meme and ran it into the ground. That's it, that's the show.

It was animated decently with cute designs, and a lot of the reference gags were pretty drat good. all of it went to waste because Komugi has a flat chest!!! Komugi has a complex about her flat chest!!!!! watch everyone in the series poke fun at Komugi's flat chest and her complex about her flat chest!!!!!

If Komugi-chan R gets rolling it could end up being the lighthearted comedy that its predecessor was underneath the tsuntsun.

imo i am kind of hoping komugi-chan r is actually just the mirakurun anime we were all hoping for

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
I liked Bubuki. It's super shonen, but that CG makes me want to see more. Maybe Berserk:The Anime CG won't look so bad. The only problem is that the motions were a bit stiff when walking/running

e: I also really liked "Erased" and was surprised to see that it was made by Sanbe Kei. Then I read the manga and he was really restrained compared to some of his other series like "Nagi" and "Box of Monsters", etc.

Postal Parcel fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jan 10, 2016

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
flat chest jokes are right up there with "boy is mistaken for pervert and punched" for where anime comedy goes to die

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The chat thread constantly posting about candy girl's baps made me expect I would dislike Dagashi Kashi but it's actually really funny. Also, camp anime dad is the best:

Also, I finally got around to watching Haruchika. It's good! It's really budget Hyouka x Euphonium though, to the point where it's really distracting.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jan 10, 2016

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
That is about where I fell on it so far. It's like it wants to be both Hyouka and Euphonium at the same time but hasn't figured out how to do that yet. Like I said, I'm going to give it another ep or two to see how I feel.

A positive note is I like the style of the main girl's eyes. Dunno why, it's just a neat color!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Honestly, it feels more like Hyouka except not as well written, not as pretty, and they're in the band club rather than the classic literature club, so far. The Eupho stuff seems to be more superficial, but it does include the teacher romance subplot, so we'll see how much the show focuses on that, I guess.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

gate s2: it started with rape so i turned that poo poo off. also i haven't seen season 1 so idk if this is normal fare for the show
Ooyasan wa Shishunki!: goddamn there are a lot of 2 minute shows this season. the girl is named chie satonaka. literally nothng interesting about it otherwise, idk why this has such a high score on MAL
koyomonogatari; i thought this was going to be a 2 minute thing but it's 14 minutes long. felt good to see oshino meme again. shame it wasn't very visually interesting and starred boring long haired hanakawa. the ed almost tricked me into thinking shinobu was singing

also non non biyori is getting another ova (well, oad but who cares about the difference)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Davincie posted:

gate s2: it started with rape so i turned that poo poo off. also i haven't seen season 1 so idk if this is normal fare for the show

Nothing like that in the first season of the anime, although there are spoken hints of brutality done by others. So far I'm taking that scene as a tasteless way to paint the guy evil, but otherwise not something to expect more of.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

dont watch or read GATE lamo

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I wish GATE had less horrible gross bits in it because all the bits where it focuses on the politicking between Japan and the Empire or the way modern tech is helping people are really good. :(

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I wish GATE had less horrible gross bits in it because all the bits where it focuses on the politicking between Japan and the Empire or the way modern tech is helping people are really good. :(
honestly that scene at the start of S2 was the first time it was really horrible gross

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Endorph posted:

honestly that scene at the start of S2 was the first time it was really horrible gross

The bit in the bathhouse where Rory attempts to have sex with Itami.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The bit in the bathhouse where Rory attempts to have sex with Itami.
:greencube:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Davincie posted:

Ooyasan wa Shishunki!: goddamn there are a lot of 2 minute shows this season. the girl is named chie satonaka.

So uh, I'm not a lawyer, but surely character names like that are trademarked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fangz posted:

So uh, I'm not a lawyer, but surely character names like that are trademarked?
??????

• Locked thread