Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

EasyEW posted:

Mopey Pete's Silver Age Daydream turns out to be an extended teaser for another fake comic book cover Sunday strip.

Uh, Batiuk, you should know that in those days especially comic art was never redone because that was expensive and wasteful on their deadlines. I could understand the wonkiness on Hollywood details during that arc, but come on, this is your realm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Dr. Dos posted:

My favorite old comics are the ones that are relevant nearly a century later.

There's a fair number of in which he acts as hero of the proletariatbefore WWI comes along and he turns into a jingoistic rear end. I used to have a bunch of them saved, and just as an example there's one where he stops two men from beating up a dude, only to learn that the victim is a strike-breaker and then goes on to pummel him himself.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Well Manicured Man posted:

Everett calls his own wife "Mrs. True"?

I do this all the time.

Gil Thorp

I'm not sure what that is exactly, but I assume it's something involving a man's earth-moving equipment.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

kith_groupie posted:

Bullshit, pluggers don't exercise at gyms. At the most they go and sit in the sauna at the Eagles Hall before the fish fry while their wives play bingo.
Now now, it's still January. Barely over a week since the year changed, they might still be sticking to their new years resolutions about getting in shape.

Calaveron posted:

Remember Kevin and Kell
I'd rather not.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Slammy posted:

Sick, Sick, Sick (click for big)

Another one that's oddly familiar 50+ years later.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Who'd have thought Pluggers would have something in common with rich assholes at the mall who cause traffic when goddamnit there are spaces right down there :argh:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Selachian posted:

Pros and Cons

I skimmed this and thought for a beautiful minute that there was a John Cale opera.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Sick, Sick, Sick is awesome because it was in the Village Voice. The average person back then would have looked at it like we look at MiniSec. Or rather, like we used to. RIP Stephanie McMillan. Looking in the Wrong Place Comix.

Pooch Café

Hudson! This is a newspaper comic!

Ballard Street

Carl's the one in the purple, and he's the only one still taking photos of the other members' butts as intended.

Lost Side of Suburbia

God drat it, just let the kid be with his sister. He's right about everything he's said so far! You're just setting him up to be the guy that bites it after agreeing to go on one last mission!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

kith_groupie posted:

Bullshit, pluggers don't exercise at gyms. At the most they go and sit in the sauna at the Eagles Hall before the fish fry while their wives play bingo.

10 minutes of treadmill on setting 2 before while they chow down on half a pizza every Monday at Planet Fitness.

E: for accuracy

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 10, 2016

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

Jesus H Christ dude there’s children reading this thread! I fixed it for you but please don’t post this sort of filth again!

Broom Hilda

Gasoline Alley teaches us once again why we don’t feed our children just any old mushroom we find lying around the forest.

Heavenly Nostrils

“Indignant whinny” is now my favorite sound effect / expression.

Big Nate

Ziggy

Ye Olde Fox Trot

Cul de Sac

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Gil 02/01/15

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

What? Those misshapen asses are intentional?

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (December 16, 1950)

Barnaby (May 23, 1942)

Nancy (January 30, 1943)

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set licks other people's food.

Working Daze is...I...wha?

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix tries to be deep, fails.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Moomin

Classic Dilbert

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (January 11, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Four (January 11-13, 1954)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I would order that book he's advertising and scan it like I did with the Compu-Toon book about airports but not for $15.

EasyEW posted:

Let's not forget that Bushmiller's Nancy existed mostly in a bubble apart from the pop culture of the outside world. Gilchrist, on the other hand, has wasted entire weeks pandering to his Baby Boomer demo by doing nothing but drawing or namechecking people, characters, and other stuff they remember. If a Bushmiller Nancy strip exists where the "punchline" was HERE'S THAT THING YOU USED TO LIKE!, I've never seen it. That alone makes the classic era infinitely less insufferable.

e: Okay, I found one. And it's still apples and oranges.

I think the difference with this one and Gilchrist-Nancy is it's less a nostalgia trip than a joke about kids not getting things happened before they were around. Like I was at my sister's and my niece and nephew were watching a "new" Scooby-Doo they had never seen. It was of course one from the 70s or whenever, so to me that they thought it was actually new was pretty funny.

Slammy posted:

Wee Pals

I just really liked this one.

F Minus

Mary Worth

What the gently caress did they do to give him hope?

Rex Morgan MD

No one has ever said that. Also, man look at how Irish that guy is.

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Goddamn if Agent X-9 isn't one of my favorite strips. :shrug:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Foxtrot

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I won't be able to post these as regularly this year, so if anyone would be willing to take over I'd appreciate it.

kazz
Feb 27, 2007

Black Bean has a tendency to stare and likes to hide.

It's tough having such a tiny face.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set feeds your need for juicy details.

Working Daze commits mass murder.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix glimpses into our glorious future.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
That's the cutest maggot on the comics page.

Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbusts of Everett True

Fritzi Ritz

Sick, Sick, Sick (click for big)

Wee Pals

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County

Peanuts gives us another warm brother-sister moment that Linus will be talking about years later to his therapist. And he won't be paying five cents to do it. (January 12, 1969)

Mopey Pete's Comic Book Cover Sunday

Frank Brunner, another artist with an impressive resume.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Sorry for the double post, but the things you see when you're pulling old comics. (1969)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Well, it turns out this is a real thing. Thanks, Google.

Wikipedia posted:

Casu marzu is considered by Sardinian aficionados to be unsafe to eat when the maggots in the cheese have died. Because of this, only cheese in which the maggots are still alive is usually eaten, although allowances are made for cheese that has been refrigerated, which can kill the maggots. When the cheese has fermented enough, it is often cut into thin strips and spread on moistened Sardinian flatbread (pane carasau), to be served with a strong red wine.[5][7] Casu marzu is believed to be an aphrodisiac by Sardinians.[8] Because the larvae in the cheese can launch themselves for distances up to 15 centimetres (6 in) when disturbed,[2][9] diners hold their hands above the sandwich to prevent the maggots from leaping. Some who eat the cheese prefer not to ingest the maggots. Those who do not wish to do so place the cheese in a sealed paper bag. The maggots, starved for oxygen, writhe and jump in the bag, creating a "pitter-patter" sound. When the sounds subside, the maggots are dead and the cheese can be eaten.[10]

:barf:

In other news, I usually ignore the newsletter that Comics Kingdom emails me, but I happened to glance at it this time, and this article caught my interest. It's a little write-up on Milt Gross who did a few comics in the 20's and 30's. While his stuff has never been featured regularly in these threads as far as I know, I'm pretty sure "The Meanest Man" has shown up a couple of times. "I Did It and I'm Glad" is interesting for having a similar premise to Everett True (put-upon person beats the everloving poo poo out of an irritating person) but without a regular title character. And then there's also "Draw Your Own Conclusion," which I don't really get, most of the time.

They posted a few sample strips, so it might be worth your while to click the link and check it out. :) None of these actually appear in the Vintage section at CK, though, unfortunately.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Someone used to post Milt Gross strips quite regularly for a while. We definitely had a whole bunch of Count Screwloose, Banana Oil and Dave's Delicatessen. It's been a long long while though, maybe even the thread before last.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Julet Esqu posted:

We have a forums user in GWS named Casu Marzu!

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

If he sells you Casu Marzu without telling you what it is, that's the point at which you blackmail him. There's a reason CM is illegal to buy or sell (and that reason is, it's full of live maggots).

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I don't think it's even legal to transport.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Julet Esqu posted:

I think it was also mentioned in a Ripley's not too long ago. Also, I have no idea what it says about my tolerance for insect-based cuisine that I'm far more put off by Andrew Zimmern's description of the taste.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
Broom Hilda

Gasoline Alley

Heavenly Nostrils

Big Nate

Ziggy

Cul de Sac

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Odonata posted:

Gasoline Alley

So why exactly does this comic cut to the painfully bad pre-Huntsman exploits of Marty Feeb on Sundays? Who are these unfunny forest dwellers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

That's a lot of lady convicts for a sleepy little town.

Prince Valiant

Phantom Classic

Big Ben Bolt

• Locked thread