Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I thought it was getting a bit off rails when the military guy showed up, but I like how it was resolved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

poo poo. Not a good day to rely on the DVR.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That was pretty darn good. For this era at least.

The two parts didn't mesh too well, but on their own they worked.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

A lot of gags that I chuckled at this time around, definitely a step up from the last few episodes.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Barthood

Bart's coming-of-age chronicle, told ala the big-screen hit "Boyhood," follows him from a 6-year-old to his maturing into an accomplished young man. Along the way, there are glimpses of how his father and sister impacted him more than he could ever realize.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It took seven months to make!

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I liked the episode better when it was "Springfield Up".

Okay, despite the gimmick, it's high concept enough that it could good if they don't totally drop the ball.

If.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
That was unnerving.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
That's the third origin of the boat painting.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
12-year-old Bart's hair is horrible.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Poor Gil. :(

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Oh they're already ignoring frozen future Grampa from the Christmas episode. :(

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Well, that wasn't horrible.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Echo Chamber posted:

Oh they're already ignoring frozen future Grampa from the Christmas episode. :(

We dodged a bullet if it's true that Holidays of Future Passed could have been the series finale. I mean, I expect some level of obnoxious technology/political jokes when they do stories set in the future, but that was just relentless.

At this point, I'm actually kind of looking forward to the real series finale. There have been some severe misfires this season, but there have also been some truly great moments. Hopefully the quality keeps improving, however haphazardly, over the next few years. It would be nice to see The Simpsons go out with a bang like it deserves to.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
S27 hasn't been better than 26. 26 hasn't been better than 25. 25 hasn't been better than 24. So on since season 20 or 21. I don't expect any upswing unless if there's a huge, unexpected shakeup behind the scenes. And the show has an equal chance of getting worse as it does better if that's the case.

I did like the joke about how in the future the only in Republican senator in Congress is really good at stopping the agenda of 99 Democrats.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I've tried to get back into the show each season for the past few years, and this is the farthest I've made it yet. Judd Apatow's episode from last season was pretty good, but there's not more than four or five I can even remember seeing beyond that. The Portlandia one? Kang and Kodos? Futurama? The one where Marge opens a Subway or whatever? In comparison, Halloween of Horror and Barthood both stand out as being legitimately good, if gimmicky, and we're not even halfway through the season. That speaks to me of some improvement, however minimal. Of course, they also showed a solid two minutes of Dr. Doolittle not too long ago, so maybe it's all garbage and the show should die a horrible death.

When it does, I hope the finale still manages to be good. Al Jean mentioned something about them leaving to go to a Christmas pageant, and there's that Reddit pitch floating around about the cancellation of Itchy and Scratchy or the death of Santa's Little Helper. Personally, I just want to see Good Night Simpsons redone in the modern style.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I know the show and Tracey Ullman haven't been on great terms, but getting her to guest star in what's supposed to be the series finale would be another bookend they can pull out when the time comes.

I think less about what should be in the series finale after the fifth time I assumed Fox would stop ordering new seasons just to be proven wrong.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Put the shorts out on DVD and give her some of the money? I mean, I have no idea how any of that would work legally, if it would actually mend any fences, or if anyone would even consider such a thing after they've already stopped releasing season sets altogether, but I would buy a copy.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That was pretty good. I loved the character design changes for all the characters.

You're El Barto? How can that be!??

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
"Barthood" was my favourite episode from this season. it even brought a tear to my eye. I'd kinda want the show to continue like this, with them finally growing up. Even though I'd miss Abe and his ramblings and muttering.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I wouldn't mind it if they pulled a South Park and made the entire season one long story line.

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012
Why isn't Tracy Ullman on good terms with the show?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

juniperjones posted:

Why isn't Tracy Ullman on good terms with the show?

Money.

She lost the lawsuit.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
And the Simpsons showrunners always felt like she was determined to get rid of the shorts on her show because they ate into her air time. But when the Simpsons became a full phenomenon Ullman insisted she groomed the Simpsons into the success that it was.

So yeah... money.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
The Girl Code

A photo Marge posts on social media gets Homer fired, so he goes back to his all-time favorite job, dishwasher at a Greek restaurant. The post also inspires Lisa, who develops an app that captures the real-life consequences of anything one posts online.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
So far, so meh.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
That was not bad. The third act plot twist worked better than it should have.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
2000 drachmas is uh approx $6.39. Dammn

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I thought Conrad sounded like Wheatley and sure enough he was.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

dovetaile posted:

2000 drachmas is uh approx $6.39. Dammn

Not since Greece joined the EU it's not.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

The Sea Captain blowing out the candles on a Confederate flag cake made me chuckle.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

The story of Homer finding actual satisfaction in a traditional job had potential, but instead they just made Greek jokes. Oh well.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
There was even a "Blaine Might Die" card on the SWOT board.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My favorite thing was the little robot coming out of the tablet when Mr Burns smashed it. It was just there, no attention was called to it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles

Bart is captivated by the new teacher at Springfield Elementary, and goes all-out to win her over.

Meanwhile, Homer buys a new brand of "milk" that causes early puberty, which for Bart means stepping up his wooing game, while Lisa deals with a slight case of acne that introduces her to the world of makeup and subsequent popularity.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
This concept sounds terrible.

How bad will it be?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I don't have high hopes for this one, beyond the amazing couch gag that's already on YouTube.

Last week's episode was fine. I don't think we can get two good ones in a row.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Echo Chamber posted:

I don't have high hopes for this one, beyond the amazing couch gag that's already on YouTube.

Last week's episode was fine. I don't think we can get two good ones in a row.

I only had this on because I had the Redskins/Packers game, but that couch gag was indeed amazing

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
"Every teen goes through this; that's why proms are dark!" All right this got a chuckle out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Homer with that chin was mildly disturbing

• Locked thread