Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Just caught up with this yesterday. I don't think I've been this pumped for a Gundam show in, like, forever.

Dulkor posted:

The more I watch of IBO, the less I feel like Reco's problem is episode count. It just suffered from filler fight syndrome taking up time that would have been better spent on the world and characters.

While I agree somewhat, part of what makes G-Reco fun is that you actually have to pay attention and that it encourages you to re-watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Jesus Christ all caught up.

I cried like a baby this last episode. Unfortunately this hit home for me - I had a good friend KIA in the Middle East years ago (Marine of course) and all of this just hit me emotionally. I haven't watched any series that's made me this emotional before, be it live action or anime, and tend to stay away from US military movies due to the loss.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Haahahaha, I was not expecting the kiss to be this soon

This show is good

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Baal posted:

Haahahaha, I was not expecting the kiss to be this soon

This show is good

Neither did Kudelia.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

I love that scene so much.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
We get a new episode tomorrow, right? Cause I got a gut feeling we'll finally see Kimaris in the next episode, and probably some deaths/noble sacrifices as well.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sazabi posted:

We get a new episode tomorrow, right? Cause I got a gut feeling we'll finally see Kimaris in the next episode, and probably some deaths/noble sacrifices as well.

Start of a new arc. They need to set things up before people start dying. Got a couple of preview images, though - Kudelia processing mission-critical information and the Gusion doing a strip-tease.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Part of me really wants the Turbines to be in on the assassination plot.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I really hope they aren't. They're such good and positive representation of polyamory, it'd really suck to mess that up. Plus, Naze is awesome! I think it'd be cooler for him to have some heroic sacrifice, which would give plenty of drama with the rest of the Turbines having to go on without him. They could defect from Teiwaz and join up with Tekkadan.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ok lets start watching this episode, ummm fairly standard begining given whats happened so far oh the new OP...wtf! Hahahaha anyone wants to take bets on who The CHAR mask is ? His/her suit looks pretty evil.

e-new ending is loving trash compared to Orphans Namida

e2- Oh my loving god the clips for the next episode, I cant stop laughing! Marie you are a loving genius

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 10, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So the Kai II is finally where we get a super-Graze with a looted A-V System? And it's designed by Yamagi and piloted by Norba? I dig it. New OP has Fumitan still doing her job on the bridge, so while it may not be accurate, it does up her chances of making it past this arc. Also, McGillis has apparently decided to be the most glam-rock Char possible, complete with the Gjallarhorn equivalent of a Gelgoog (guess we know what this thing is now), so there's that. Now to see how clued in Teiwaz is about Nobliss's little space revolution, I guess.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I have a bad feeling about executive meddling again.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
drat it, we went 14 episodes without a Char... we were halfway there drat it!

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I'm excited to see what kabuki Char brings to the table.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tae posted:

I have a bad feeling about executive meddling again.

Outside of OP/EDs, which is almost always a case of executive meddling in some way, I honestly don't feel it at all. The story hasn't changed at all, its following a framework already laid out by foreshadowing, I think the only real surprise I had was Kamen Gillis but I can totally see his character doing this.

e-Compared to say the second seasons of other gundam series and valvrave, which had pretty noticeable indications of having things changed wholesale.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, the Char thing is silly, but it doesn't feel too much like the kind of silliness that's imposed from above. The show as a whole still seems to be going on its established track, and if the execs are tweaking things, they're probably minor (like Fumitan surviving the colony arc, if she does - I don't particularly think they had a hand in that, but it's a good example of the scale of change they seem likely to request).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm just wary because the last time a mask came out of nowhere, it was the start of a dark, generic path.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tae posted:

I'm just wary because the last time a mask came out of nowhere, it was the start of a dark, generic path.

At first I laughed at the random masked guy in the intro but any worries I had were completely evaporated during the outro. I am 100% sure that the previews were done in character, even if masky acts differently underneath it will be the same character. And I know its going to end up a joke eventually when Mika goes out an calls him out as Chocolate Man

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think it's lame that they did bring out a mask after all but on the other hand it's a real minor detail and if the show crumbles under its own weight it's hardly going to be by that.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

And heck, personally I think the effects of ~executive meddling~ tend to get overstated to a rather silly degree

Especially when we rarely see any information about the particulars

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I remember Code Geass R2 being executive meddling in an interview because of the different time slot and being told they had to "reintroduce to a different audience" which is why the beginning was a lot of rehashing.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

That's the one example that always comes up, and in the times since then access to translated staff interviews is more readily available then ever. But we rarely hear about meddling to such far degrees.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
People probably don't wanna speak up about stuff regardless of how much of it's going on. That kind of thing could get them blacklisted fast.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm hoping/praying that it's just a mask he dons to hide his activities from both friend and foe alike for a handful of episodes while he does something naughty and then drops because the disguise was only ever a temporary thing.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Man that's probably the most disappointing OP/ED combination I've ever seen on a Gundams show. Usually at least one is good. :geno:

Anyway the traditional Gundam midseason stretch of Not Much seems to finally be over, so even though I think the whole set-up armed rebellion thing was really loving forced, I'm still glad it happened.

I am ready for the soap opera.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Man that's probably the most disappointing OP/ED combination I've ever seen on a Gundams show. Usually at least one is good. :geno:

Anyway the traditional Gundam midseason stretch of Not Much seems to finally be over, so even though I think the whole set-up armed rebellion thing was really loving forced, I'm still glad it happened.

I am ready for the soap opera.

Why would you say it was forced? The whole show's been headed in this direction for ages now.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'd say my main concern at this point isn't so much any executive meddling that may or may not happen, but rather that my experience with Okada's writing is that when it gets too plot heavy it can get in the way of the characters.

The characterization has been great up to this point and I hope that as it shifts gears and starts focusing on the conflict they've built up, there's some freedom to get weird in a good way instead of weird in a way that takes away a lot of what I like about the cast.

Tho heck at this point I don't even care about the overarching plot.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Darth Walrus posted:

Why would you say it was forced? The whole show's been headed in this direction for ages now.

If you expect me to believe that a group of kids transported some cargo over the course of a very long trip without once checking what was in it, you've got another thing coming.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

If you expect me to believe that a group of kids transported some cargo over the course of a very long trip without once checking what was in it, you've got another thing coming.

They're trying to be good boys for Teiwaz, which means no tampering with the merch (and it's probably best not to contemplate how CGS might have instilled that habit in them - they've been super-scrupulous about pretty much all their business interests for the entire show), and industrial equipment honestly isn't that different to military equipment, either in sci-ti or the real world. They might well have just taken a cursory glance at the big crates, gone 'oh, that's a mobile worker? Must be a tractor or forklift or something', and went on with their lives.

One interesting thing - we've been talking about Mikazuki and Biscuit's relationship with Orga for a while now, and how parting the fellowship to force them to develop independently seemed like a likely occurrence, and this colony arc seems like a real good opportunity for that. Wonder if Okada will take it up?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
For some reason, Biscuit's brother's last name is Cinnamon. :3: Also, his first name is a reference to this, in case anyone wondered.

Anyway, this was a great episode. I'm happy the show is sticking with the political themes. The new OP is better than the old one, but neither it nor the ED are as good as Orphans no Namida.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 10, 2016

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

They're trying to be good boys for Teiwaz, which means no tampering with the merch (and it's probably best not to contemplate how CGS might have instilled that habit in them - they've been super-scrupulous about pretty much all their business interests for the entire show), and industrial equipment honestly isn't that different to military equipment, either in sci-ti or the real world. They might well have just taken a cursory glance at the big crates, gone 'oh, that's a mobile worker? Must be a tractor or forklift or something', and went on with their lives.

Not only that but heck, they're still kids and there's a lot of logistics they just don't think about. Like earlier in the show when Orga was rightfully called out for not having a single person with medical training on board.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Srice posted:

Not only that but heck, they're still kids and there's a lot of logistics they just don't think about. Like earlier in the show when Orga was rightfully called out for not having a single person with medical training on board.

And the girls going shopping for basic hygiene supplies this episode.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Glam Char! And now we see Teiwaz' support biting them in the rear end.

I like the ED better than the OP, but I'll miss RAISE YOUR FLAG and OOOORPHAAAAAANS, NAMIDA

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

An earlier episode already covered this actually. One of the youngest kids in the ship was completely uninterested in the cargo since he thought it was just natural resources. Its pretty easy to accept the info at face value because the whole resource exploitation is a pretty big theme in the show. Combine that with the rest of the crew telling you that this is their first big mission as part of Teiwaz dont screw it up and you got a recipe for not a giving a drat about whats in it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I think Raise Your Flag was a way better OP in presentation. I'll have to watch the new OP a couple more times, but it's kinda just there.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Traveller posted:

Glam Char! And now we see Teiwaz' support biting them in the rear end.

I'm wondering if this is the moment that Naze and crew being super nice to them all the time swings around to bite them in the rear end. Naze doesn't seem at all surprised about poo poo hitting the fan, just bemused at how fast it happened, whereas Merribit is completely lost and has no idea what's happening.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

We'll see if Naze is just shrugging his shoulders at Tekkadan getting into a scuffle an hour after arriving at the colony or if he actually had knowledge of the cargo to be delivered and the Gjallarhorn tip, but repairing the Gusion for Akihiro seems to be going too far for disposable schmucks. McMurdo is definitely in on it, though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Traveller posted:

We'll see if Naze is just shrugging his shoulders at Tekkadan getting into a scuffle an hour after arriving at the colony or if he actually had knowledge of the cargo to be delivered and the Gjallarhorn tip, but repairing the Gusion for Akihiro seems to be going too far for disposable schmucks. McMurdo is definitely in on it, though.

Pretty sure the Kai II has Teiwaz tech in it, as well. They may just be hoping that Kudelia dies in a way that can't be traced back to Teiwaz so that Tekkadan no longer has other concerns keeping them from being a Teiwaz unit in the coming war, but it's equally possible that the Turbines just weren't in the loop. Merribit certainly wasn't, and she seems to be least as senior in the organisation as Naze.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I was sort of expecting Biscuit's brother to be an office worker for Gjallerhorn. I suppose that could still be true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

tsob posted:

I'm hoping/praying that it's just a mask he dons to hide his activities from both friend and foe alike for a handful of episodes while he does something naughty and then drops because the disguise was only ever a temporary thing.

I think that's gonna be the case. In the preview he mentions changing how he talks (and dismisses that idea), so the mask is part of a persona so he can do things he needs without them getting associated with McGillis.

Green Intern posted:

I was sort of expecting Biscuit's brother to be an office worker for Gjallerhorn. I suppose that could still be true.

I thought he was gonna be a secondary assassin Gjallahorn had prepped for the possibility that Kudelia didn't enter Dort 2.

• Locked thread