Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I'm hoping it's a little less heart-thumping than the Cambodia visit. I was gripping the sides of my chair when Arino got on that goddamn merry-go-round. That thing looked like it was held together by glue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Vermain posted:

I'm hoping it's a little less heart-thumping than the Cambodia visit. I was gripping the sides of my chair when Arino got on that goddamn merry-go-round. That thing looked like it was held together by glue.

A Japanese tourist died when a roller coaster derailed at the same Cambodian amusement park the crew went to, mere months after their trip.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

zari-gani posted:

Speaking of Game Center CX being like Top Gear for video games, how long until Arino gets fired for punching Producer Kan in the face?
After they announce his replacement with the guy from Game Center DX, and retool the challenges so that his replacement is only required to play 4 hours at a maximum.

zari-gani posted:

2-hour-long Vietnam trip special (the excerpt above is from that).
Awesome. Glad you're prioritizing this one, as the trip specials are always one of my favorites.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

cubeboy posted:

After they announce his replacement with the guy from Game Center DX, and retool the challenges so that his replacement is only required to play 4 hours at a maximum.

I know Arino could easily tell the producer to gently caress off if he really didn't want to keep playing, since he's the entire reason there's a show, but sometimes I still feel really bad about them making him stay after he clears a game early and talks about going home to his family.

I also felt really bad when he was doing the northern travelogue and explained he was missing his daughter's birth or something.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

zari-gani posted:

A Japanese tourist died when a roller coaster derailed at the same Cambodian amusement park the crew went to, mere months after their trip.

Do you have a link to the story?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I assume it's this.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2013/03/24/national/japanese-tourist-killed-in-cambodian-roller-coaster-derailment/#.VpGjMFnt7Rc

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Thanks.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Lurdiak posted:

I know Arino could easily tell the producer to gently caress off if he really didn't want to keep playing, since he's the entire reason there's a show

On the other hand, GCCX is basically reality TV, so it'd be pretty cheap to fill the slot if he decided to quit. Which means that he doesn't have a lot of bargaining power. I mean, yeah, we love him, but we're geeks.

Lurdiak posted:

but sometimes I still feel really bad about them making him stay after he clears a game early and talks about going home to his family.

Yeah, the staff has pulled some dick moves on him. Like making him play a game for three hours late at night, then only giving him another go a couple of weeks later (so he basically forgot everything he'd learned in that time) and treating it as if he'd failed a day-and-a-half challenge when he couldn't quite reach the end (don't remember the game off the top of my head). Or letting him bang his head the whole day against a goal that was literally impossible after an hour (Metroid). Or, and this is my 'favorite', letting him play right up until the bit of the game he was looking forward to the most, calling it for time, then bringing him back after they played past that part for him (Ocarina of Time).

I mean, like any 'reality' TV show, there's scripting and judicious editing going on, so it's hard to say how much is all part of the show and how much is genuine, but it at least seems like he's gotten the short end of the stick on more than one occasion.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I feel more for the staff and the crew honestly, especially the ADs. they have to put up with the exact same poo poo that arino does, except they don't get to complain about it, and half the time their sacrifices and hard work probably don't even get mentioned in the show

they're also required to actually be good at the games, lol

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
They need to invest in a game shark or something so they don't have to spend ages collecting lives/ getting the hard ending.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

They need to invest in a game shark or something so they don't have to spend ages collecting lives/ getting the hard ending.

That would probably not sit well with the game companies that let them play the games, since to this day Nintendo and others loving hate those things with a passion.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I'd like to imagine an alternate timeline where Arino somehow managed to travel back in time and do one of the show's formative interview style episodes with the outfit behind the Game Genie back when they were at their peak---I can't even fathom where they'd go with that.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

That would probably not sit well with the game companies that let them play the games, since to this day Nintendo and others loving hate those things with a passion.

They wouldn't even need to reveal that they used it though?

Also are there any technical details on how they hook up the consoles for recording? I hope they do it properly and use a Framemeister and RGB.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Also are there any technical details on how they hook up the consoles for recording? I hope they do it properly and use a Framemeister and RGB.

Good one.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Why would they deal with any of that nerd poo poo

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Those are illegal in Japan. That's not a joke, either.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

I am 99.9% sure that the consoles are unmodded. However, they do have professional quality hardware for capturing the video so they're a bit better off than the Framemeister.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Lurdiak posted:

I know Arino could easily tell the producer to gently caress off if he really didn't want to keep playing, since he's the entire reason there's a show, but sometimes I still feel really bad about them making him stay after he clears a game early and talks about going home to his family.

I also felt really bad when he was doing the northern travelogue and explained he was missing his daughter's birth or something.

I feel even worse for the crew, who have to stay late into the night just watching someone play a videogame. And they don't even get to be celebrities for it!

I remember one of the staff members being really excited about being able to catch the last train home. That was a bit sad to hear. I'm assuming they only film one or two days a week though, right?

Random Stranger posted:

I am 99.9% sure that the consoles are unmodded. However, they do have professional quality hardware for capturing the video so they're a bit better off than the Framemeister.

I thought they used a modded Famicom with AV output or something?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nickoten posted:

I remember one of the staff members being really excited about being able to catch the last train home. That was a bit sad to hear. I'm assuming they only film one or two days a week though, right?

That's Suda who was always trying to catch the last train home because he had a commute of over an hour. He's no longer on staff as of last season, presumably fed up with Arino's antics.

Game Center CX tapes less often than that, though the production work is obviously a full time job. The regular segments are all shot in a block before they begin shooting the games of that season. All of a segment like Famicom Sniper are shot in a few hours on one day. The challenges are scheduled for one day usually (except when they know a game is going to be a multipart challenge) so they shoot about one day every two weeks. If something happens like a production problem then they have to find a slot in Arino's schedule within the next two weeks where he can come in and play some more.

Game Center CX challenge shoots are literally all day and I expect that they're actually pretty grueling for a show that's just hanging out in a conference room and watching a guy play video games. The shoot starts around ten in the morning (sometimes earlier if there's no need for a pre-shoot meeting and they can get Arino in) and runs until around one in the morning for the crew. The crew has to be on top of things continually for that time. The sound is uncontrolled (obviously since we hear the crew all the time) so the engineer has to be on top of things constantly. Any time they have to switch batteries or media they have to do it quickly since getting as much footage of Arino playing is important. The director needs to be assembling the story of the episode as they watch Arino play..

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

That's Suda who was always trying to catch the last train home because he had a commute of over an hour. He's no longer on staff as of last season, presumably fed up with Arino's antics.

Game Center CX tapes less often than that, though the production work is obviously a full time job. The regular segments are all shot in a block before they begin shooting the games of that season. All of a segment like Famicom Sniper are shot in a few hours on one day. The challenges are scheduled for one day usually (except when they know a game is going to be a multipart challenge) so they shoot about one day every two weeks. If something happens like a production problem then they have to find a slot in Arino's schedule within the next two weeks where he can come in and play some more.

You know, now I'd love to see some kind of behind-the-scenes montage (actual documentary, not just that one manga) of how GCCX is put together.

Although I gotta admit we get way more glimpses into the production than other shows because of the whole low-budget thing GCCX has going on, which is probably also a part of its charm. Trainees in front of camera with little or no acting experience, fumbling over lines, tape/equipment(console) mishaps...

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Doesn't the op still have that awesome manga of behind the scenes of game center cx? It's like for one day of shooting, you have to do 4 days of prep and I imagine the prep time is closer to a 9-5 job unless you have to take extra time to scout.

And then don't forget things like the one time the ad took over amino for adventure island and took like 28 hours?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Nickoten posted:

I thought they used a modded Famicom with AV output or something?

I think that's about as much as they do. You can even catch some episodes/events where the output has jailbars (a common flaw when modding a famicom for AV output) or has a ton of signal interference. If you look at the back of the consoles, a lot of the wires are usually taped in to attempt to keep them secure.

It reminds me of how James "Angry Videogame Nerd" Rolfe for most of the earlier episodes, captured all of his game footage with a straight-up DVD Player/Recorder because it just works with none of the bullshit you can get from a complex PC capture setup prone to dropping frames and outright crashing and corrupting your entire recording up to that point.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Why is the turnover on staff so high?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Why is the turnover on staff so high?

Suda was with the show for nearly ten years so that's not exactly high turn over. Still, Assistant Director is an entry level position (remember Urakawa had literally just gotten off the train from his hometown when he showed up for work) and Gascoin does more than just Game Center CX. Staff members rotate to other projects and AD's either decide to leave the entertainment industry or move to other positions. Some of them (Urakawa again) have been with Gascoin the entire time but no longer appear on camera.

If you pay attention to the credits (which is hard even if you can read the names as they shoot past), you'll see a lot of the same names have been there pretty much from the beginning. Cameraman Abe, for example, isn't going anywhere until he retires.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Random Stranger posted:

Suda was with the show for nearly ten years so that's not exactly high turn over. Still, Assistant Director is an entry level position (remember Urakawa had literally just gotten off the train from his hometown when he showed up for work) and Gascoin does more than just Game Center CX. Staff members rotate to other projects and AD's either decide to leave the entertainment industry or move to other positions. Some of them (Urakawa again) have been with Gascoin the entire time but no longer appear on camera.

If you pay attention to the credits (which is hard even if you can read the names as they shoot past), you'll see a lot of the same names have been there pretty much from the beginning. Cameraman Abe, for example, isn't going anywhere until he retires.

And it's clear from how often previous ADs come back that there's not a lot of bad blood or anything.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Thanks for the answers guys.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zlcjCGL8gIds.km8D6yN19Rk0&hl=en_US

I found this map of places the show has visited.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Thanks for the answers guys.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zlcjCGL8gIds.km8D6yN19Rk0&hl=en_US

I found this map of places the show has visited.

I made that. The show gets the address of locations wrong so often... :negative:

I also got really lucky with locating the laundromat (happened to drive past it on one of my own LA trips a few months later) and crab claw machine in the middle of a field.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

Gascoin does more than just Game Center CX. Staff members rotate to other projects and AD's either decide to leave the entertainment industry or move to other positions. Some of them (Urakawa again) have been with Gascoin the entire time but no longer appear on camera.

I've seen Matsui in the corner shots of VS Arashi, and Oosuka was in another shown (unnamed, but I'm 99% sure it was him).
Watanabe is (according to an exchange with a fan via Twitter) apparently not allowed on the GCCX set during filming because of how she laughs. Which bums me out, since it's something I miss about the show. You can only listen to Fujimoto's Butthead chuckle so often, you know.

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jan 12, 2016

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Random Stranger posted:

:stare:

Can you elaborate on this?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Something about reverse engineering someone elses code or something? It's legal here in America but there was indeed a court battle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Galoob_Toys,_Inc._v._Nintendo_of_America,_Inc.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Gutcruncher posted:

Something about reverse engineering someone elses code or something? It's legal here in America but there was indeed a court battle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Galoob_Toys,_Inc._v._Nintendo_of_America,_Inc.

It's illegal to cheat at video games in Japan. One guy did the Missingno glitch in Pokemon Red and got 5 years.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Jumpingmanjim posted:

It's illegal to cheat at video games in Japan. One guy did the Missingno glitch in Pokemon Red and got 5 years.

It's weird no one ever mentions the 10 years Arino spent in prison after using the konami code in gradius

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Jumpingmanjim posted:

On the other hand, I'd love to see Arino's confused look at the Game Genie startup screen. A lot of the games had slightly tweaked code in the US releases, didn't they? I imagine a lot of the hacks wouldn't work on SFC carts, and cooking their own would be more scouting work than it's worth, I think.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Kakaricho posted:

I've seen Matsui in the corner shots of VS Arashi, and Oosuka was in another shown (unnamed, but I'm 99% sure it was him).
Watanabe is (according to an exchange with a fan via Twitter) apparently not allowed on the GCCX set during filming because of how she laughs. Which bums me out, since it's something I miss about the show. You can only listen to Fujikoto's BUtthead chuckle so often, you know.

It surprised me after watching this show for so long I can tell when she's in the challenge room from her laugh.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Cameraman Abe is my favorite of any of them.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Jumpingmanjim posted:

why isn't he good?
why doesn't he just use the warp whistles?
why does he wear that suit?
why is there a narrator?
why does he have to stop at midnight?
why isn't this a speedrun?
why not just watch a let's play?

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

rdbbb posted:

why not just watch a let's play?

Because I'm still not convinced those aren't a government project to give a hobby to people with terribly annoying voices.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Kakaricho posted:

Because I'm still not convinced those aren't a government project to give a hobby to people with terribly annoying voices.

Slowbeef confirmed Secret Service agent. Soon the great LP Purge will begin anew :unsmigghh:

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

NuclearPotato posted:

Slowbeef confirmed Secret Service agent. Soon the great LP Purge will begin anew :unsmigghh:

Hahaha! I got out just before the great purge. Now feast, my children!

OrochiKiyo
Sep 9, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

It's weird no one ever mentions the 10 years Arino spent in prison after using the konami code in gradius

I figured he'd've gotten 30 years for that, and be released just in time to be declared a Living Famicom National Treasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

An edited, digest version of the Super Mario Maker Live Challenge was released yesterday, with some unseen footage after the challenge ended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqbT1RgE0nE