Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panboy
May 20, 2010

Le'me tell ya'll about them Apples.
I love the gunship mission cause the game makes you think oh i can stealth this, maybe you can, But i have never been able to get past the first ship with out the alarm, its the best thing cause then the game just gos gently caress it just get them blowed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Ephphatha posted:

Yeah, it's pretty garbage. Even with the explosive upgrade it does gently caress all against vehicles and there are much more effective anti-infantry weapons.

You shut your mouth. Nothing rips apart infantry like a fully upgraded Grinder. I have gotten ridiculous kill streaks with that thing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I've been playing around with the Gutter, the marauder polearm thing, after picking it up in a new playthrough - completely missed it my first time. I'm iffy about it: it's a melee weapon like the hammer, but occupies a separate weapon slot and can't replace the hammer. Still one-hit-kills EDF and has a lot more reach to it with Mason's habit of making dashing attacks with it, but less oomph for whacking vehicles and buildings.

I'd be iffy about it if you could carry it instead of the hammer, but occupying an entire separate weapon slot? Pass. Not sure who at Volition thought the Gutter as-is would be something players might use much.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Cythereal posted:

I've been playing around with the Gutter, the marauder polearm thing, after picking it up in a new playthrough - completely missed it my first time. I'm iffy about it: it's a melee weapon like the hammer, but occupies a separate weapon slot and can't replace the hammer. Still one-hit-kills EDF and has a lot more reach to it with Mason's habit of making dashing attacks with it, but less oomph for whacking vehicles and buildings.

I'd be iffy about it if you could carry it instead of the hammer, but occupying an entire separate weapon slot? Pass. Not sure who at Volition thought the Gutter as-is would be something players might use much.

Everything in the game feels built for multiplayer balance, not single player fun.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Cythereal posted:

I used it a bunch in the awkward stage near the start of the game where you have very few weapons other than det charges, the hammer, and the assault rifle. My usual method of demolition varies greatly from jade's - he drives trucks through things, I sneak into the middle of the building, blow up the middle, and then destroy it from the inside out - and doing that creates a lot of jagged, unpredictable cover.

So the EDF comes in looking for me in a half-destroyed building and I ambush them around a corner with a giant polearm. :unsmigghh:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

President Ark posted:

I used it a bunch in the awkward stage near the start of the game where you have very few weapons other than det charges, the hammer, and the assault rifle. My usual method of demolition varies greatly from jade's - he drives trucks through things, I sneak into the middle of the building, blow up the middle, and then destroy it from the inside out - and doing that creates a lot of jagged, unpredictable cover.

So the EDF comes in looking for me in a half-destroyed building and I ambush them around a corner with a giant polearm. :unsmigghh:

I'm more prone to Jade's approach, but I picked up the gutter from some marauders that attacked me while mining in Dust and went ahead and did the Halvar Gunnarson mission with it. Turned the dude into chopped meat. :black101:

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

ikanreed posted:

Everything in the game feels built for multiplayer balance, not single player fun.

There are separate stat blocks for multiplayer weapons. :shrug:

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

If I may reverse course a touch... Part of me finds it hilarious that RF1's destructability was the exact opposite of Guerilla. Anything manmade in RF1 was invincible (even to the giant fuckoff boring machine). I will say Red Faction 2 was... interesting

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Today in Red Faction, Ahriman and I go exploring into the far corners of the Badlands, get radiation poisoning, and then spend a few days at home cuddling each other and drinking Rad-X brand tea. Also everything in Oasis explodes.

We forgot about Jenkins

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Guerrilla missions don't seem to go away at 0 control in my experience: I've been playing a new game to get stuff I missed the first time, and guerrilla missions only seem to go away once you liberate the sector.

You will be going back to the Irradiated Zone later in the story, yes.

I'm not sure if the backstory to the marauders is explicitly stated anywhere in Guerrilla, but it's strongly implied if you collect radio tags (they show up as green dots on the radar incidentally) and the Demons of the Badlands DLC goes into detail.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 6, 2016

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I had the same issue with delayed explosives and disappearing detpacks. It happens in heavy-fire situations so I think it's Implus overtaxing the physics engine needing to calculate all the bullets. Haven't uninstalled the mod yet to confirm it goes back to normal.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

How could you forget Jenkins? And yeah, Martian is pretty good

Jade - boning himself in TYOOL 2016

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

It's weird the Grinder didn't kill the Marauders in one hit - it always does so for me. Then again, I immediately get the fast grinder upgrade for the Grinder before I use it. It's either that or you're playing on a higher difficulty than Normal which is what I play on.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

It's weird the Grinder didn't kill the Marauders in one hit - it always does so for me. Then again, I immediately get the fast grinder upgrade for the Grinder before I use it. It's either that or you're playing on a higher difficulty than Normal which is what I play on.

I can confirm that on normal the unupgraded grinder takes more than 1 shot to kill.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Guerrilla missions don't seem to go away at 0 control in my experience: I've been playing a new game to get stuff I missed the first time, and guerrilla missions only seem to go away once you liberate the sector.

I think you lose some of the mission types when control hits 0, when I played through the hostage rescue and king of the hill type missions would disappear when control hit 0 but the destruction and delivery missions were always available. I finished every available mission before liberating a sector so I've no idea whether those would've disappeared after liberation but I assume that's what you've noticed.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Bruceski posted:

I had the same issue with delayed explosives and disappearing detpacks. It happens in heavy-fire situations so I think it's Implus overtaxing the physics engine needing to calculate all the bullets. Haven't uninstalled the mod yet to confirm it goes back to normal.

I suspect you're right. The added environmental destruction works by generating tiny, silent, invisible, zero-force explosions on every shot. It's usually not a problem, because they're generated, calculated, and destroyed very quickly, but there is a global explosion limit, and enough dudes with machine guns could run up against it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ephphatha posted:

I think you lose some of the mission types when control hits 0, when I played through the hostage rescue and king of the hill type missions would disappear when control hit 0 but the destruction and delivery missions were always available. I finished every available mission before liberating a sector so I've no idea whether those would've disappeared after liberation but I assume that's what you've noticed.

When you liberate a sector, everything goes away but the destruction and delivery missions in my experience. However, if you drop EDF control to 0 but do not do the liberation mission, the other missions will still be available. That's been my experience, at least.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Male Man posted:

I suspect you're right. The added environmental destruction works by generating tiny, silent, invisible, zero-force explosions on every shot. It's usually not a problem, because they're generated, calculated, and destroyed very quickly, but there is a global explosion limit, and enough dudes with machine guns could run up against it.

Because of this LP I reinstalled Guerilla (via steam this time), and I want to try out Implus, but the filedropper links don't appear to work for me, be it on firefox or IE. Did they get taken down or something? Because it always redirects me to the main site.
That said, the explosion limit might be less of a problem if you remove the environmental destruction ability from the basic rifle. That one's pretty much the most common weapon anyways, I think.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

I've just been using lovely temporary file hosting. I'll get it on a proper host ASAP.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
Well, since I am a dirty dirty cheater, I found a game breaking bug.

I am in the Eos liberation mission, I drive through the shiny blue barrier and am told to blow up the power reactor... only it's gone. You know how they respawn buildings for missions? Apparently they didn't count on someone having a superjump cheat, jumping over the barrier and destroying everything in sight.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I haven't watched the latest video yet, but your talk during the first Oasis video made me think you'd enjoy Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy (Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars). It's about the colonization and terraforming of Mars, and goes into a decent amount of depth into the science of it including the plant life stuff you were talking about.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Woebin posted:

I haven't watched the latest video yet, but your talk during the first Oasis video made me think you'd enjoy Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy (Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars). It's about the colonization and terraforming of Mars, and goes into a decent amount of depth into the science of it including the plant life stuff you were talking about.
I might have a look since colonizing space has always been a personal interest since I was a kid. I still don't see how terraforming Mars will ever be possible or even viable but if we manage to make that hellhole somewhat livable we'll be prepared for a lot of stuff while exploring our solar system.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sylphosaurus posted:

I might have a look since colonizing space has always been a personal interest since I was a kid. I still don't see how terraforming Mars will ever be possible or even viable but if we manage to make that hellhole somewhat livable we'll be prepared for a lot of stuff while exploring our solar system.

Red Faction uses the handwave of nanotechnology, mostly. Ultor started terraforming back in Red Faction 1 using nanotech, and the EDF has continued the work though their understanding of nanotechnology, based on that used in Red Faction 2, is limited compared to what Capek had achieved in the first game - the old mining complex in the Ultor Echo mission where you find the nano-forge is Capek's lab from the first game, complete with the very arena where you fought him. The weird echoing dialogue you hear in that mission is Capek talking to Parker in the first game.

However, it's hinted in Armageddon and even in a certain out of the way bit in this game that Ultor didn't invent nanotechnology so much as find it...

AhrimanPK
Oct 9, 2012

'Ello 'Ello 'Ello

My name's Clive Owen!

Woebin posted:

I have read them, and did enjoy them. Jade doesn't read things unless they're written on imgur pictures of cats. Interestingly the "Red" faction in those books is against terraforming Mars, or at least limiting it, meaning I always think of them when Jenkins talks about teaching himself to breathe carbon dioxide.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He barely reads the screen when he's playing games.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Wow. Super rude in here all of a sudden.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

goatface posted:

He barely reads the screen when he's playing games.

Well he is barely literate functionally inarticulate, after all

Wanamingo fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 9, 2016

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
God drat it... That video is always classic loving gold.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Lynneth posted:

Because of this LP I reinstalled Guerilla (via steam this time), and I want to try out Implus, but the filedropper links don't appear to work for me, be it on firefox or IE. Did they get taken down or something? Because it always redirects me to the main site.
That said, the explosion limit might be less of a problem if you remove the environmental destruction ability from the basic rifle. That one's pretty much the most common weapon anyways, I think.

Implus
Implusplus

No changes, just a real file host.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I've discovered a new thing to do for fun in this game: if you have a tank and a green alert, civilian vehicles will freak the gently caress out when they see you. I got one during the Oasis liberation mission and decided to trundle my way over to the Free Fire Zone. Nonstop demolition derby in the populated sectors as everyone frantically turned around to run when they saw a [hijacked] tank coming down the road.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Male Man posted:

Implus
Implusplus

No changes, just a real file host.

Thank you very much. I'm gonna enjoy this.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

This thread got me to fire up Red Faction Guerilla again, it's even more fun than I remembered it to be. Might just be because of Implusplus, though.

Oh and I also got my first Red Faction Guerilla steam cards:

What a lovely couple :allears:

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jan 15, 2016

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Today in Red Faction I kill time by exploding things in increasingly improbable methods, run a few needless guerrilla missions, liberate Oasis, and patronize Ahriman. Enjoy.

Confusing the definition of 'Withdrawing'

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Jade: Not understanding the Pull Out method.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The way to pro the first demo mission is to huck the barrel straight up so that it peaks next to the tower. There's just enough time to pull out your pistol and nail it while it's up there, and there aren't the pipes up there holding things together like at the bottom.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Turns out that more explosions had ybexoected side effects.

Logan, Alec mason is not.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 18, 2016

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Veloxyll posted:

Turns out that more explosions had ybexoected side effects.

Logan, Alec mason is not.

Quoting Veloxylls spelling attempt.

Veloxyll, the Veloxyll of spelling.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Jade Star posted:

Quoting Veloxylls spelling attempt.

Veloxyll, the Veloxyll of spelling.

Obviously, it was written in Martian.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Jade Star, you are going to want more scrap. Opening up Eos unlocks the biggest Mason-portable explosive in the game, but it costs a whopping 1,000 salvage. Upgrading it to carry more than three (IIRC) shots costs an addition 1,600.

The jetpack also has an upgrade to improve its recharge speed after you buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Ahriman is entirely correct. For a long time here in Northern Ireland all police stations were basically fortified outposts. More like military bases than anything else to be honest. Quite a few of them still are although there's been a significant de-escalation in the last fifteen years since the Good Friday Agreement.

Also I picked this game up during the Steam sale because of this LP. It was stupid cheap and one the best game purchases I've ever made.

EDIT: This episode also brings up a really good point. Where in the hell are the Martian populace getting their food supply?

Captain Fargle fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 18, 2016

• Locked thread