Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
*Runs some half-assed one man operation that's never really successful but just about manages to limp along from year to year*
*Believes themselves to be literally John Galt and makes copious posts online saying so and damning the government for holding them back*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drad_Bert
Jun 26, 2013

by Smythe

Pistol_Pete posted:

*Treats employees like poo poo*
*Posts under newspaper articles whining about how unfair it is that the law prevents them from treating their employees even shittier*
*Goes bankrupt from a series of cretinous, barely thought through financial decisions*

Juando290
Apr 22, 2007

You stopped toe curlin in the hot tub cause you heard sperms stay alive in there and you have seen Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles enough times to know how that story ends.
The Regan photo and open carry is spot-freaking on. I worked about 5 years for a small business that had about 12-15 employees. Only way to move up was to marry into the family, and the only available daughters at that point were in high school. By the end I was making between 1/4-1/3 what the industry standard was for my certifications. I was the only employee that politically could be considered left of center (people joked that I was the affirmative action hire). I was double duty mobile service tech and sales. After I sold a unit that cost roughly $200k, and saw no commission or bonus of any kind, I quit. Now I work for a company that is still family owned, but employs several hundred people in three states. I will never go back to "small business".

poo poo, I must have blocked it, but I worked for another guy for a year in college that was a crazy libertarian 7th Day Adventist. Injured myself on the job, he pretty much stopped taking my calls after that.

Juando290 fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jan 12, 2016

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
*Business viability depends on an accounting trick that they genuinely believe is the 1st time anyone's thought of it, ever*
*Come the end of the tax year, their accountant patiently explains to them that this would be fraud and tax evasion and no, they absolutely cannot do this*
*goes bankrupt*
*(the small business owner, not the accountant. The accountant's fine, don't worry)*

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
im a small business owner
and by business i mean my winky

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
*Makes kids work for basically nothing
*Spends all day just standing around while everybody else hustles their rear end off
*Takes 90% of the profits and none of the risks
*Carries an old Baretta 92 with no serial
*Sells crack. I'm just describing a crack dealer

kittiesgomeow
Oct 13, 2008

This avatar cost on average $27.

dev286 posted:

What kind of glass items? Like decorative chintzy poo poo?

Can you imagine being at Thanksgiving or whatever when Aunt Janine announces proudly she's going to spend her inheritance/life savings to pursue her dream of selling ugly blown glass poo poo and the whole family just has to sit there smiling and nodding and congratulating her while stifling the urge to ask her what the exact market she's trying to sell to

it seems mostly decorative things, like little glass figurines that grandmas collect. also some stained glass window things, which i guess sell a little better but still.

apparently this store has been in the town forever but i don't know who they're selling to.

Secks Cauldron posted:

This could work if they're in the business district of a large city.

sadly they are in a college/farming town of about 15,000 in the middle of nowhere.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

*Tells you he's a small business owner*
*actually 400 lbs*
*yeah right you fat gently caress*

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

it owns creating jobs

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aV6rso2l0I

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
My hometown used to have character and was a new urbanist model for other communities. Then a Wal Mart was built on the outskirts of town by a junk yard and all the small businesses went belly up. Things are about 1000% better now IMO. gently caress small businesses.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm just biding my time until my lovely bar gets a bailout from Jon Taffer.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

kittiesgomeow posted:

a hobby store which sells only stuff for model trains

Train people will by anything, in the right neighborhood you could be a king with this business.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Every big business began as a small business, no hating please OP

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Nonsense posted:

it owns exploiting labor

Agree.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've recently built a webpage for my locally owned restaurant. People don't want to see a menu, or hours of operations, or a phone number. What the people want to see are out of focus pictures of my family.

OK OK, I'll add the menu, but it's going to be a gigantic PDF file that I scanned in upside-down

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

kittiesgomeow posted:

it seems mostly decorative things, like little glass figurines that grandmas collect. also some stained glass window things, which i guess sell a little better but still.

apparently this store has been in the town forever but i don't know who they're selling to.

sometimes these kind of stores exist cause a rich guy bought his wife a store to give her something to do. and now she can brag to her friends about how she "manages a business"

somuch_gravy
Oct 25, 2014

this place is good and not bad
>opens up a pretentious cafe/bike sop/vegan restaurant combo in a part of town that won't be gentrified for another five years to save on rent.
>constantly asks for opinions on how the place could be better run but doesn't really care and won't change anything about how the business is run.
>asks employees if they know anything about making "mobile apps"
>runs out of money and lets everyone go/closes up shop at a mandatory night meeting without any notice.

Stuffguyman
Jun 3, 2007
*Despite owning moderately successful business, is a midget*

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

been killing it in the dick sucking biz

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
My wife is the director of marketing at an accounting firm and talks to a ton of small business owners. She says for every 1 smart person with a good business plan that's properly organized, there are 500 vapid cunts with retarded ideas that got a ton of money from their rich parents to see them out.

See them out to bankruptcy, anyhow. But still.

Dave_Indeed fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 12, 2016

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

kittiesgomeow posted:

a computer parts store which doesn't sell hard drives or motherboards.

I wouldn't wanna be a retailer getting stuck with returns for those two delicate items either if I had the choice.
Sure you can pay me 100$/hour to install them properly, but no way I'd sell them individually to some idiot who's gonna headcrash it or bend the CPU pins.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

dev286 posted:

All of these places never have any customers. So either they are fronts or someone's life savings is being burned away day after day

Often they are hobbies for spouses of high income earners. The town here has way too many clothing stores with the window full of old posters and scary outfits. The rents are really high and we know that one store survives due to a couple of "big whales" throwing money at private showings: close the store for each customer and have a model prance about in outfits.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 12, 2016

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
*there is a little old lady living in one of the more remote mountain towns*
*owns a Christmas shop*
*has somehow been open for like fifteen years*
*shop is open all year but at weird hours*
*Is it money laundering?*
*Maybe her wealthy husband died and she just wanted to own her own shop?*
*Maybe she just loving loves Christmas?*
*Maybe I'm jealous of that little Christmas lady*

google THIS
Oct 17, 2005

I didn't know all small businesses were crappy niche retail stores

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

*dies in a gutter*

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

small businesses are like small penises, their only purpose is to prep the bull, aka walmart

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

does isis count as a small business or are they more like a midcap at this point

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

my accountant suggested i diversify my portfolio by increasing my terrorism-related holdings and i raised my eyebrow and was like "i don't know... let me see the prospectus"

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

*there is a little old lady living in one of the more remote mountain towns*
*owns a Christmas shop*
*has somehow been open for like fifteen years*
*shop is open all year but at weird hours*
*Is it money laundering?*
*Maybe her wealthy husband died and she just wanted to own her own shop?*
*Maybe she just loving loves Christmas?*
*Maybe I'm jealous of that little Christmas lady*

Christmas shop lady has a life I cannot fathom

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Orkin Mang posted:

im going to kill myself

dont doit buddy you've got a really good av

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
-Guy starts small business

-Small business becomes successful

-Guy gets old, lets his kids take over the business

-Kids are spoiled and worthless, treat the employees like poo poo and run the company into the ground

^ every small business I've ever encountered

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

EugeneJ posted:

-Guy starts small business

-Small business becomes successful

-Guy gets old, lets his kids take over the business

-Kids are spoiled and worthless, treat the employees like poo poo and run the company into the ground

^ every small business I've ever encountered

shut up dad

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Arian_Samurai posted:

I'm just biding my time until my lovely bar gets a bailout from Jon Taffer.

"gently caress you Jon, people love my pirate themed bar!"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

*Is forced to start small business because as an immigrant finds it hard to be hired or respected by locals*
*Works super hard, builds successful business*
*Gives kids the childhood they wish they had growing up in poverty by spoiling the gently caress out of them*
*Kids become hobby drug dealers out of boredom and spend all their money on supercars and hats*
*RIP Small Business*

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
*stars in terrible, cheap commercial*

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

*actually believes something as asinine as "small business is the backbone of America" because they are almost as deluded as they are retarded*

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Fact: Small business owners will never be the head of a major corporation as long as they remain in small business.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

My dad grew up really rich and basically squandered the family fortune before I was born on a loving Bus Emporium or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 SWAGLORD
Apr 20, 2014

saban bajramovic

Baronjutter posted:

*Is forced to start small business because as an immigrant finds it hard to be hired or respected by locals*
*Works super hard, builds successful business*
*Gives kids the childhood they wish they had growing up in poverty by spoiling the gently caress out of them*
*Kids become hobby drug dealers out of boredom and spend all their money on supercars and hats*
*RIP Small Business*

deal w/ it dad

• Locked thread