Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Those space suits look very 2001 to me. When did that come out again...? 1968. So that's certainly more in line with the time frame than Mr 80's hair who didn't begin his career until 1975. Other than that, I can't begin to figure out how that name would show up now. Perhaps the Flux Inducer is supposed to be a Flux Capacitor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

berryjon posted:

So that's certainly more in line with the time frame than Mr 80's hair who didn't begin his career until 1975.

HARM's talent scouts are just getting an early lead on the competition.

ORANGE DRINK STATUS: MIXED

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Loxbourne posted:

ORANGE DRINK STATUS: MIXED

Thank you for reminding me about the other thing!

Tang first became associated with the Space Program after John Glenn was given the stuff to drink on his Gemini flight, and it became popularized for that. So I'm glad to see H.A.R.M keeping with the tradition!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

berryjon posted:

Those space suits look very 2001 to me. When did that come out again...? 1968. So that's certainly more in line with the time frame than Mr 80's hair who didn't begin his career until 1975. Other than that, I can't begin to figure out how that name would show up now. Perhaps the Flux Inducer is supposed to be a Flux Capacitor?

Yup, those are definitely 2001 space suits.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yup, those are definitely 2001 space suits.

They look like something out of Power Rangers

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

They're just color coded! Surprised HARM didn't do the same. Would you prefer mercury/gemini silver? :v:

Certainly fancier than what NASA had in the mid 60s.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 12, 2016

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

So, just how hot would a rocket test heat water, anyway?

bumblingbee
Dec 30, 2012

Gregbus? Gregbus, what's wrong? Answer me! GREGBUS!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

They're just color coded! Surprised HARM didn't do the same.

Just you wait.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Samovar posted:

It'd blow it all away before it could even boil. It'll still boil, mind you, it's just being blown away at the same time.

Take a look at this static fire test of a real solid fuel rocket engine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYYoXi91QtU

And this one of a liquid fuel one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbe1KNUBEEU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Samovar posted:

Well, the fuel burns at several thousand degrees and the blast is aimed right down the bowl at the water pipe so... pretty freaking hot.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

"Sharon, I'm stepping out into space now...."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Scruffy's bit about "Why would you leave the codebreaker behind? It's only ever done its best" feels like something out of Undertale.

The good news is that in this game, That One Level is followed up by an extremely cool one!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

chitoryu12 posted:

Scruffy's bit about "Why would you leave the codebreaker behind? It's only ever done its best" feels like something out of Undertale.

The good news is that in this game, That One Level is followed up by an extremely cool one!

Note he also immediately left that specific codebreaker behind.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

It'll be waiting for him.....on EARTH!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Well, I just blew through this whole thread in one sitting pretty much. Yes, I have a lot of free time.

Always heard a lot of good things about this game, but never got to play it myself. Sad to hear about its impossible legal status, I can see it really is the kind of classic that would deserve to be revitalised by a digital release. The dialogue really is top notch, both the incidental stuff and the cutscenes. Obviously a very smart game, in a lot of ways.

Thread bookmarked, eagerly looking forward to the rest.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Lost my poo poo at the pitchfork thing. Nicely played, Scruffy.

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?
I find it odd that you shoot a guy with a poison arrow walk over and rip it out of his person and poof still has poison on it. I wonder if it was a software limitation or they just didn't think about having it switch to a regular bolt when you reacquire it.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

KieranWalker posted:

Lost my poo poo at the pitchfork thing. Nicely played, Scruffy.

Yes, pretty much that. Lovely.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Hrvstmn31 posted:

I find it odd that you shoot a guy with a poison arrow walk over and rip it out of his person and poof still has poison on it.

The crossbow bolts themselves are made of pure arsenic trioxide.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Considering what happens when you get poisoned I suspect some animal bones and saliva being involved somehow.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Ground control to Agent Cate :v:

Low Earth Orbit
Scene 1/Polsy

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

When the bolt is removed, it now has bits of poison-coated flesh and smeared blood on the head.

Also, this level was always my favorite as a kid.

bumblingbee
Dec 30, 2012

Gregbus? Gregbus, what's wrong? Answer me! GREGBUS!
"mpmaphole" is also the level skip cheat. Not that I ever used it. Erm... a friend told me about it. Yes.*cough*

Edit: Also, I never knew about that emergency ladder... I always jumped up the drat shaft.

bumblingbee fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 14, 2016

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Don't use elevators during an emergency you fool!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

bumblingbee posted:

Just you wait.

I see what you mean.

Periwinkle... these are the kind of security colors my mother would pick. :allears:

Also, that "throw back into pained expression, freeze, and fade away" laser death effect is so 60s/70s "cheap double exposure" SFX.I love it.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 14, 2016

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You can select the laser gun as a starting weapon on any mission now. Most amusing, and it doesn't leave bodies behind.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Poil posted:

You can select the laser gun as a starting weapon on any mission now. Most amusing, and it doesn't leave bodies behind.

Yeah, though it's not a quiet weapon, not leaving bodies behind also means cameras don't trigger from people you shoot with it.

It's also hilarious because they freeze in midair when vaporizing.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 14, 2016

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

That ladder bit is just unfair.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I still maintain this is a better space level than the moon base in TNO.

e: Also love the big signs with TOP SECRET LAB HERE.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 14, 2016

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, because this place actually looks like it's in space!

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

dscruffy1 posted:

Ground control to Agent Cate :v:

Too soon!

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

anilEhilated posted:

e: Also love the big signs with TOP SECRET LAB HERE.

Well why wouldn't they put up signs? It's already a HARM base so they're not expecting visitors, and it's only efficient to help lost workers back to their designated Top Secret Lab. It would be rude not to, and it's not like they can put up coloured guide lines to follow - that would ruin their aesthetic.

However, this level only has one space gun, whereas TNO has multiple, so TNO's Nazi Moon Base (gently caress You Moon) is better.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

WFGuy posted:

However, this level only has one space gun, whereas TNO has multiple, so TNO's Nazi Moon Base (gently caress You Moon) is better.

Not so! You can actually get the minions' unique red laser to complement your blue laser if you use some stealthy karate. It's not as good as the blue laser and it actually leaves bodies behind, but it's got a really neat animation and makes awesome PEW PEW noises.

The big downside to the blue laser actually is the time it takes for bodies to fade away. Until they leave this plane of existence, they still absorb shots, making it hard to plug their buddies behind them.

e: Also, I'm not sure that I like the morbid implication that the HARM employees brought their kids onboard, what with the disaster of Space Station 13 proportions that takes place.

Blastinus fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 14, 2016

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Since we don't see any kids at all I think it's likely some rear end in a top hat made a playground, put up a "for kids only" sign and forgot that nobody has any kids up here!

That sounds like HARM levels of incompetence.

Who do I hope made it out? The couple doing inventory.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
This was one of my favorite levels too back when I had this game (wish I still did). The dialogue and how well it played into the level's events was awesome (last nookie, "this place is a deathtrap", Chekhov's meteor shower, "I'm going to slap you, cowboy!", it was all great). The laser combat was also cool. Just something about getting to shoot a laser, I guess. :D

"Ground control to Agent Cate." RIP David Bowie. You shall be missed. Alan Rickman also- I mentioned one of his most memorable roles in this thread earlier and today he has passed on. :( Happy Trails, Hans. By Grabthar's Hammer, by the Sons of Warvan, we must cure cancer and avenge you! :jihad: I hope you didn't find Heaven too ironic when you arrived.

More great levels are coming up in this LP. If you're hoping they will top that spacewalk somehow, you will be pleased.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The "red" laser (i.e. the one used by the guards) was quite popular in multiplayer for the armour-bypass ability. It's not a one-hit-kill like the Super Atomic Laser the player uses, but then that thing was so overpowered nobody put it in their levels.

NOLF1 actually had quite an active modding scene. Someone even did a fully-voiced eight-mission single player campaign. Alas all the sites are long dead now.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Loxbourne posted:

The "red" laser (i.e. the one used by the guards) was quite popular in multiplayer for the armour-bypass ability. It's not a one-hit-kill like the Super Atomic Laser the player uses, but then that thing was so overpowered nobody put it in their levels.

NOLF1 actually had quite an active modding scene. Someone even did a fully-voiced eight-mission single player campaign. Alas all the sites are long dead now.

internetarchive?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

RIP Grooviest Space Station.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I love how the incredibly drunk man instantly recognizes Kate and lets out an "Uh Oh." right when he sees her, then instantly tries to cover it up. I look forward to finding out who this guy actually is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

SaffronKit posted:

I love how the incredibly drunk man instantly recognizes Kate and lets out an "Uh Oh." right when he sees her, then instantly tries to cover it up. I look forward to finding out who this guy actually is.

He's on a HARM station so I think any hope of him simply being a civilian is out. He's either spying on HARM or working for them. Be interesting to see which.

• Locked thread