Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
<<< Update on previous page.

The golem boss gave me much more trouble than it should have. Probably because I insisted on using charged shots and regular missiles instead of Super Missiles and kept running into his attacks somehow. The rocks it throws also take several regular shots to blow up. Still defeated it first try, but it ended up a decent fight.

That missile trickshot at the very end was wonderful. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

The Prime games have some pretty memorable bosses. Thardus and the next two bosses are likely the best from Prime 1, but regardless there's a lot in store from 2 and 3. Thardus himself is one of the bigger roadblocks on Hard Mode, because you've got fourteen different pieces to destroy in sequence and each takes two Super Missile shots to bring down assuming they're not blocked. At this point, barring glitch abuse you'll only have enough capacity for ~70 missiles/seven sections down without destroying his projectiles. That's something of a chancy proposition considering that you have to divert your attention from the boss himself, and of course because it's Hard Mode his attacks deal double damage. (Charged beam shots still hurt him, but do so more slowly.)

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Oh wow! I forgot all about the Spider Ball in Metroid II. Although I guess if it worked the same way as it did then, you'd have access to everywhere immediately.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

When're you gonna pull some sick missile cancels already?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

When're you gonna pull some sick missile cancels already?

He already showed it off and clarified he wouldn't be doing it too often.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Nidoking posted:

I'm pretty sure it's around the area where you first fight something I won't even mention in spoiler tags, but you probably already know what it is now.

It is. Bottom floor of that particular room, on a control panel near the ramp that leads upstairs.

Edit: The Spider Ball in Prime 1 always makes me think of a Duncan yo-yo.

KeiraWalker fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jan 9, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

A neat touch I noticed watching this update is that the game saves, then does the nifty little animation, to minimise the time from player wanting to save to successfully saving, juuuuuust in case.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Do you think the way Samus holds her hand for the Wave Beam is all 5 fingers out because it's like she's waving hi?

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Do you think the way Samus holds her hand for the Wave Beam is all 5 fingers out because it's like she's waving hi?

There's a neat detail about the hand icons for the beams with an item acquired later

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Because Paper beats rock, duh.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

FeyerbrandX posted:

Because Paper beats rock, duh.

:yeah:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

We learn that lava town is a pretty cool place to be.

The jump cut was due to an audio issue on my end during recording that I fixed mid-session. I left an annotation at that point.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

About that Angler fish comment:
Remeber that Shrimps and lobsters are bottom feeders.

Also related to Angler fish are monkfish: Which are manna of the seas.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Anglerfish are really weird.

wikipedia posted:

Some anglerfish, like those of the Ceratiidae, or sea devils, employ an unusual mating method. Because individuals are locally rare, encounters are also very rare. Therefore, finding a mate is problematic. When scientists first started capturing ceratioid anglerfish, they noticed that all of the specimens were female. These individuals were a few centimetres in size and almost all of them had what appeared to be parasites attached to them. It turned out that these "parasites" were highly reduced male ceratioids. This indicates the anglerfish use a polyandrous mating system.

Certain ceratioids rely on parabiotic reproduction. Free-living males and unparasitized females in these species never have fully developed gonads. Thus, males never mature without parasitizing a female, and die if they can't find one.[2] At birth, male ceratioids are already equipped with extremely well-developed olfactory organs[16] that detect scents in the water. Males of some species also develop large, highly specialized eyes that may aid in identifying mates in dark environments. The male ceratioid lives solely to find and mate with a female. They are significantly smaller than a female anglerfish, and may have trouble finding food in the deep sea. Furthermore, growth of the alimentary canals of some males becomes stunted, preventing them from feeding. Some taxa have jaws that are never suitable or effective for prey capture.[16] These features mean the male must quickly find a female anglerfish to prevent death. The sensitive olfactory organs help the male to detect the pheromones that signal the proximity of a female anglerfish.

This totally reads like something people would make up for the metroid universe.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

FPzero posted:

We learn that lava town is a pretty cool place to be.

The jump cut was due to an audio issue on my end during recording that I fixed mid-session. I left an annotation at that point.

You don't need a super missile to blow up that pillar; regular missiles will do, at least in this version.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

:ssh: I know, I'm going to show it off in the sequence break run.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

NGDBSS posted:

The Prime games have some pretty memorable bosses. Thardus and the next two bosses are likely the best from Prime 1, but regardless there's a lot in store from 2 and 3. Thardus himself is one of the bigger roadblocks on Hard Mode, because you've got fourteen different pieces to destroy in sequence and each takes two Super Missile shots to bring down assuming they're not blocked. At this point, barring glitch abuse you'll only have enough capacity for ~70 missiles/seven sections down without destroying his projectiles. That's something of a chancy proposition considering that you have to divert your attention from the boss himself, and of course because it's Hard Mode his attacks deal double damage. (Charged beam shots still hurt him, but do so more slowly.)

Honestly the boss fights is where 3 absolutely excels. Specifically a certain shapeshifting subboss provided me with probably the most satisfying and intense fight I've ever had in a Metroid game.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Honestly the boss fights is where 3 absolutely excels. Specifically a certain shapeshifting subboss provided me with probably the most satisfying and intense fight I've ever had in a Metroid game.
Agreed; that particular boss fight is frenetic in the best possible way.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Of course, there's an exception to everything. :argh:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

My eyes.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

The guy you were talking about that is playing Bayonetta with one hand is probably halfcoordinated. He has something called hemiparesis where there's essentially scar tissue on the sensory motor cortex of his brain, lowering feeling and coordination in the right side of his body. He can't do much with his right hand so he figured out how to grasp a modern controller with one hand and play games that way, since apparently it's more effective than using both hands. If you want to see a finished run of his watch his Transformers Devastation run for AGDQ2016:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woeymJHyFmw

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Does that 'PYF little things in games' thread Faerie mentioned still exist, and if so does anyone have a link handy?

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Carbon dioxide posted:

Does that 'PYF little things in games' thread Faerie mentioned still exist, and if so does anyone have a link handy?

Yeah, it still exists, it's just in PYF instead of Games.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks. Of course they're talking about Undertale.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
The blind guy who finished OoT is genuinescorruption who did it with the help of Runnerguy2489. Together they figured out strategies how to move through dungeon rooms and stuff like that. This was actually what inspired Runnerguy to do his blindfolded runs (a regular playthrough, a child dungeons run at AGDQ2015 and a 100% run), and I'm pretty sure he's the guy you were thinking of, although he's by no means the only one who has played OoT blindfolded.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

There was some sort of chat notification sound at 16:54, just FYI. Don't know if that's the kind of thing you'd edit out but missed. :)

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

My view while we're recording looks like esports commentary with Samus sponsored by Phazon Energy Drinks

edit: i r am speel gud :saddowns:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Faerie Fortune posted:

My view while we're recording looks like esports commentary with Samus sponsored by Phazon Energy Drinks

That makes me think, is FP going to do Echoes and Corruption in the same way? Because the sponsorship thing just gave me a (bad, as always) idea.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

If we do Echoes and Corruption, while I might not be using Dolphin for them I'll still be sharing the screen to Fae over Skype.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Nearly forgot to update today in the midst of a sudden calculus downpour on my end.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Something you might want to know to make your life with chozo ghosts easier: Use your Super Missiles on 'em. Since they are the Power Beam missile combo, it counts as a Power Beam element attack and deals massive damage to them. One ghost only takes two super missiles to take down, and you're not using the rest of your missiles for anything else, so. Make your life easier, use all your super missiles.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
What makes the ghosts worse than they may initially seem is that once you kill something it'll stay dead until you've gone through a few other rooms. Basically until the room gets unloaded from memory. The ghosts? They come back instantly. If you kill all the ghosts in a room, leave, and re-enter, the ghosts are back again.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
That's actually not the only way you can encounter ghosts for the first time (spoilers for endgame collectathon). After getting the Spider Ball and returning to the Chozo Ruins through Magmoor, you can return to the long vertical shaft you dropped down after beating Flaghraa and Spider Ball up back to the Sunchamber, where one of the Artifacts is located. Also in that room are THREE Chozo ghosts. Guess what I did on my first playthrough! That was quite the introduction.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Not exactly Chozo Bowling, but there's Metroid Prime Pinball for DS where the ball is, naturally, Samus. Apparently the progression roughly follows the events of this game. You know, as far as a pinball game can.

The first thing I actually thought in that room was Chozo Basketball, but it was not to be. :(

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
I really think Chozo Ghosts would have been alright had they not A: Shown up so early in the game before you get the tools to deal with them effectively, and B: Not locked the doors every time they showed up. Not being able to bypass fighting them when they are in a "hub" room like the bowling room made what should have been a nice challenge/reward fight sequence into an annoyance instead.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

pointlessone posted:

I really think Chozo Ghosts would have been alright had they not A: Shown up so early in the game before you get the tools to deal with them effectively, and B: Not locked the doors every time they showed up. Not being able to bypass fighting them when they are in a "hub" room like the bowling room made what should have been a nice challenge/reward fight sequence into an annoyance instead.

I don't know if this was changed in another version of the game but I think there are exactly three times you are required to fight them: the fight I did in the video and two more times we haven't seen yet. After that, you can definitely just run through any room with them and maybe take a few hits in passing.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

FPzero posted:

I don't know if this was changed in another version of the game but I think there are exactly three times you are required to fight them: the fight I did in the video and two more times we haven't seen yet. After that, you can definitely just run through any room with them and maybe take a few hits in passing.

Did you mean three *rooms*? I know you definitely have to fight them before you can go Chozo Bowling again.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

You're right, I was forgetting a different fight later on because it's possible but difficult to skip.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
I just have an issue where they show up in groups of three. I always end up taking a lot of damage and since I'm using a pretty sluggish gamepad instead of kb+m I can't snap around to shoot something behind me. Their music gets kinda old too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

FPzero posted:

Huh. I always thought they spawned in and locked the doors every time. I know that my first time stumbling through this game I fought them WAY too many times.

I wish the ghostbuster beam combo did something to them. Wasted chance, Retro.

• Locked thread