Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
That Reed/Doom fight was pretty swell. Reed (at least in the comics I've read) doesn't use his actual powers enough and just sciences opponents to win, so I enjoyed him just going nuts and attacking Doom like a boa constrictor. I don't know what I expected out of the ending but ultimately I was kind of disappointed with Molecule Man just going "oh okay" BOOOM. I guess all those tie-ins with unsatisfying endings where Battleworld just explodes out of nowhere were actually just sticking with the main event all along. The end was sweet though, with the FF sticking around (where are they again?) to recreate the multiverse although I kind of don't understand why they sent Johnny and Ben off to their new more profitable titles other jobs, when one of the big focuses of Hickman's big Fantastic Four run that kicked this whole shebang off was on how much the F4 are a family that should be together (and how Johnny is Franklin's favorite), so it's weird to just see him make Sue go "well Johnny and Ben aren't really supergenius big idea guys, so we should probably just send them to go hang out with Rocket Raccoon and the Inhumans". But I guess there was enough action and junk that I was ultimately satisfied.

The only part I straight up didn't like/didn't get: So T'Challa warps to the new universe, goes "it worked", indicating that he's the same one from the previous universe, and then immediately just knows what's going on in New Wakanda with their space program. For one thing, it's weird that he just knows the space program's gonna happen then calls his shot like Babe Ruth saying they're going to space as a rocket launches. For another, for a guy who just survived the death of a world (after the death of his own world), you'd think there'd be a stronger reaction out of the guy. I mean, there's stoic and there's "poo poo T'Challa are you a loving robot? Get excited." At least everybody else's epilogue takes place after the timeskip, where they'd either have time to acclimate to the new universe or you could just explain away them not remembering Battleworld at all.

Dunbar posted:

Old Man Logan isn't from 616 or 1610 is he? I think his solo book would have to mean stuff other than the original Prime Earth and Ultimate Universe survived.

Well yeah, there's straight up a Weirdworld book right now showing that the Weirdworld from Battleworld has simply relocated to 616.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Dunbar posted:

Old Man Logan isn't from 616 or 1610 is he? I think his solo book would have to mean stuff other than the original Prime Earth and Ultimate Universe survived.

We already know that's the case, because Contest of Champions exists, which features characters from a couple of alternate Earths.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

TwoPair posted:

That Reed/Doom fight was pretty swell. Reed (at least in the comics I've read) doesn't use his actual powers enough and just sciences opponents to win, so I enjoyed him just going nuts and attacking Doom like a boa constrictor. I don't know what I expected out of the ending but ultimately I was kind of disappointed with Molecule Man just going "oh okay" BOOOM. I guess all those tie-ins with unsatisfying endings where Battleworld just explodes out of nowhere were actually just sticking with the main event all along. The end was sweet though, with the FF sticking around (where are they again?) to recreate the multiverse although I kind of don't understand why they sent Johnny and Ben off to their new more profitable titles other jobs, when one of the big focuses of Hickman's big Fantastic Four run that kicked this whole shebang off was on how much the F4 are a family that should be together (and how Johnny is Franklin's favorite), so it's weird to just see him make Sue go "well Johnny and Ben aren't really supergenius big idea guys, so we should probably just send them to go hang out with Rocket Raccoon and the Inhumans". But I guess there was enough action and junk that I was ultimately satisfied.

The only part I straight up didn't like/didn't get: So T'Challa warps to the new universe, goes "it worked", indicating that he's the same one from the previous universe, and then immediately just knows what's going on in New Wakanda with their space program. At least everybody else's epilogue takes place after the timeskip, where they'd either have time to acclimate to the new universe or you could just explain away them not remembering Battleworld at all.

I'll have to go back and read NA#1, but I'm pretty sure nothing was different from then. The launch was always the intent of that scene, they were just interrupted by the incursion and missed it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'll have to go back and read NA#1, but I'm pretty sure nothing was different from then. The launch was always the intent of that scene, they were just interrupted by the incursion and missed it.

Yeah I thought that might be the case and I too don't have NA 1 handy, but it still seems weird for him to survive his imminent demise, then find those kids and launch right back in to his speech. (Also if he was gonna launch a spaceship in NA#1, you'd think he'd still have done it at literally any point before Time Ran Out. I guess T'Challa likes to be theatrical and after the incursion ruined the first launch he just decided "gently caress this is ruined SCRAP THE WHOLE PROGRAM")

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 14, 2016

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
There's also the possibility it was the reality gem he used. In which case he just added in the space launch because this battleworld thing sucks I just wanna go to space. Also, he does not correct the guy who calls him king. In NA#1 he says, "This isn't necropolis. To the living I'm only the black panther. In SW#9 he just go's, "Yup that's me I'm the king."

He just wanted to go into space and be king again.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Loved it. Favorite Panel was the one of BP standing there with the Infinity Gauntlet and one of the gems is broken. Shows he was punching above his weight with the loving Infinity Gauntlet!

And I was wright, the Sue and kids that Doom had were the ones from the Raft!

Caper
Feb 20, 2005

Fallen Rib
Great ending, glad it's finally here. What a perfect send off to Hickman's FF saga (which I will be reading in its entirety ASAP). This event has been awesome from start to finish and I think Marvel should chill out on events for a long while, but obviously that's not happening.

I think the sole reason for the delays was just due to that one page with Reed's and Doom's faces blended together in alternating little squares. Can't imagine how long it'd take to draw something like that. Esad Ribic is so talented.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Caper posted:

Great ending, glad it's finally here. What a perfect send off to Hickman's FF saga (which I will be reading in its entirety ASAP). This event has been awesome from start to finish and I think Marvel should chill out on events for a long while, but obviously that's not happening.

I think the sole reason for the delays was just due to that one page with Reed's and Doom's faces blended together in alternating little squares. Can't imagine how long it'd take to draw something like that. Esad Ribic is so talented.

I was looking at that page a good couple of minutes in awe

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Would he have actually drawn the squares like that, I assumed he would have drawn the full faces as separate pages and did the square interlocking overlap in photoshop or something?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I wish I was there when he read that page in Hickman's script.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Let's not sleep on the cover, which is "Alex Ross draws Marvel's most iconic panels".

Also, I'm no expert on coloring but Ive Svorcina seems like a rare talent. His use of light is incredible.

zoux fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 14, 2016

Caper
Feb 20, 2005

Fallen Rib

Dacap posted:

Would he have actually drawn the squares like that, I assumed he would have drawn the full faces as separate pages and did the square interlocking overlap in photoshop or something?

That's exactly what I think he did, but to plan it all out and make such a beautiful final product must've been quite an undertaking

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Now that Secret Wars is over I'm still not really sure why Cyclops was even there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Double-post

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Now that Secret Wars is over I'm still not really sure why Cyclops was even there.

To job to Doom.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

No one is sure why Cyclops is, either.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I really enjoyed the gently caress out of that ending. What a wonderful job Hickman did weaving this all together. The art is also fantastic I wish they would release this in an 11' by 17' hardcover. I would drop all the money for that.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
While I loved the whole drat thing, I think my favorite part of Secret Wars is the explanation for how Miles Morales gets transplanted into the 616 universe.

Because he gave the Molecule Man a cheeseburger.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

While I loved the whole drat thing, I think my favorite part of Secret Wars is the explanation for how Miles Morales gets transplanted into the 616 universe.

People were like, Hickman better have a drat good reason for why all the Miles supporting characters got sent over. And he did.

Also, I just checked and all the Hickman stuff going back to F4 #570 through SW #9 is 149 issues.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

The cheeseburger got him his mom back :unsmith:

Caper
Feb 20, 2005

Fallen Rib
That was awesome. Especially because he also threw in resurrecting his dead mom. Dude must've been really starving.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Caper posted:

That was awesome. Especially because he also threw in resurrecting his dead mom. Dude must've been really starving.

First thing Owen Reese asks of everyone who comes to visit him is "Hey, didja bring me some snacks?" And Miles Morales is the only character in the entire story who does. That's worth a Mom-Resurrection, I'd say.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have

zoux posted:

People were like, Hickman better have a drat good reason for why all the Miles supporting characters got sent over. And he did.

Also, I just checked and all the Hickman stuff going back to F4 #570 through SW #9 is 149 issues.

Do you include his ultimates stuff that sets up The Maker, I understand putting it off, but also I would understand putting it on.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

And SHIELD.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

zoux posted:

Satisfied?

Pretty loving satisfied. Couldn't have done it better. :)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Franklin didn't bring the Ultimate universe back because he saw what they did to Wanda and Pietro and was all "Grossssss!"

Caper
Feb 20, 2005

Fallen Rib
So...what happened to Cyclops? The "tragic act" they mention in All-New X-Men is when he killed Professor X, right? But wasn't that an accident? I haven't been reading too long but I don't know why he's the most hated and feared mutant out there

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

trashbuilder posted:

Do you include his ultimates stuff that sets up The Maker, I understand putting it off, but also I would understand putting it on.

Eh did the Maker really do any thing of consequence? I got the sense he was just around so he could be brought into 616 (which was genius)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Apparently he tried to suicide bomb the inhumans.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Caper posted:

So...what happened to Cyclops? The "tragic act" they mention in All-New X-Men is when he killed Professor X, right? But wasn't that an accident? I haven't been reading too long but I don't know why he's the most hated and feared mutant out there

What, again?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

Haha. Smh Scott. Smh.

Call me a mutant terrorist? I'll show em...

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah, we haven't seen whatever the Horrible Thing Cyclops Did was yet, but it was directed against the Inhumans and it musta been pretty bad.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Caper posted:

He attacked Attilan after the Terrigan mists started to kill the mutants. I figure Inhumans became popular and accepted and Scott trying to kill them pissed people off.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Gavok posted:

Jonathan Hickman spent years building up to a comic book event that could be solved via offering Hostess Cupcakes and Twinkies.

loving brilliant.

I felt the moral of the story was to always walk around with a hamburger tucked in your underwear.

Caper
Feb 20, 2005

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

What, again?

At the beginning of each new issue of All-New X-Men they say the adult Cyclops "committed a terrible act and now mutants are more hated and feared than ever." I didn't know what that act was but as others have pointed out, dude's gone fully batshit.

Does anyone know where I should start reading if I want to get caught up on the whole Terrigen Mists killing Mutants thing? Why aren't people mad at Black Bolt for releasing it? Again, I don't really know the story details and I want to catch up on stuff that happened right before SW

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
There's nothing really to read. It happened in the eight month time skip.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Think they'll do a time skip mini at some point? That or straight up have issues that in the future take place in that time period.

Caper
Feb 20, 2005

Fallen Rib

Blockhouse posted:

There's nothing really to read. It happened in the eight month time skip.

The Cyclops thing yeah but didn't the Terrigen Mists Cloud get released before the Incursion?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

SynthOrange posted:

I loving love Cyclops. Next time my friend, next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Caper posted:

The Cyclops thing yeah but didn't the Terrigen Mists Cloud get released before the Incursion?
During the second half of Infinity.

• Locked thread