Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aug 4, 2010

OP is right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

google THIS posted:

even if the stereotype were true, what about having offbeat interests or obsessive behavior patterns makes you less human?

Being a lovely google bot isn't the same thing as a person. They're still human, just not people

google THIS
Oct 17, 2005

Booblord Zagats posted:

Being a lovely google bot isn't the same thing as a person. They're still human, just not people

i still don't think you're accurately describing autistic people, you're just parroting something you read on this website

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

autism is just inherently funny. its like being a ginger or retarded

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Yeah the OP is owning this place hard, by my count we've jumped back and forth six times between talking about the real capital-A kind of autistic where you are a dictionary-defined subhuman pants-making GBS threads gumptard and you should be ground up for zoo meat before you consume any more valuable oxygen, food or space versus the internet lowercase-A kind of autism where you are a creepy, katana-wielding nerd who can't respond to humor or social cues correctly and you should be forced to make youtube videos

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

google THIS posted:

i still don't think you're accurately describing autistic people, you're just parroting something you read on this website

The fact that you need it spelled out so specifically kinda tips your hand, slick

google THIS
Oct 17, 2005

treating people as subhuman has led to arguably the worst atrocities ever committed in history, it's something that no one should ever do

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

google THIS posted:

treating people as subhuman has led to arguably the worst atrocities ever committed in history, it's something that no one should ever do

Say what you will about atrocities but being able to take a car ride from the Atlantic coast to the Pacific coast and not worry about being waylaid by indignant natives while using a vehicle powered by the slave labor conditions of Arab nations built using engineering discoveries made while trying to stamp out the people of Germany, Japan, Russia, etc kinda owns

Barco Fiesta
May 26, 2009

a fantasy of olives

treasure bear posted:

lol if you think you've ever actually seen a fyad's real opinions

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
I went to an open mic show in New Orleans once, and there was a guy who would go up on stage and describe sketches from the Nickelodeon show Keenan & Kell from memory because that was his thing. P funny, but I would not like to deal with his day to day functions, peace.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

but i like my vid more because they are both cute and autistic, u kno thats a rare combo dude. urs is funny and ive seen it before but those are just untalented art students pissing away their family's hard earned income. i really like the banana tutu though, ill give them that

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

now how autistic are we talking here because i know a kid with pervasive developmental disability and it funny as gently caress when he gets mad at people for like eating wih their mouth open or whatever

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

InterFaced posted:

They really like trains lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjuVVlSgYLc

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994
Real autism is sad and not funny

Internet self diagnosed/induced autism is sad and funny.

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord
didn't read. is the OP trying to work autism jokes into his standup? pretty extreme if you ask me. i doappreciate a good self deprecation bit though

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

The phrase "fan fiction" almost made an appearance in the DSM V

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax

google THIS posted:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
At first I thought maybe this was funny but towards the end of the video you learn that this poor woman has lost her Pat Benetar albums. I think we'd all eat a little grass if that happened to us.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO9YhVPP03w

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

you know who invented the hugbox?

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

At first I thought maybe this was funny but towards the end of the video you learn that this poor woman has lost her Pat Benetar albums. I think we'd all eat a little grass if that happened to us.

m
y

n
e
c
k

h
u
r
t
s

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Funky See Funky Do posted:

if all of this could be averted before birth (or suddenly managable via treatment) thanks to a medical breakthrough that solved the autism puzzle there would still be lots of ppl that would be strongly against it because of neurodiversity, am i right or wrong??

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 14, 2016

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

it's a way for self-loathing goons to project their insecurities on people that they don't like. hth

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Mariana Horchata posted:

if all of this could be averted before birth (or suddenly managable via treatment) thanks to a medical breakthrough that solved the autism puzzle there would still be lots of ppl that would be strongly against it because of neurodiversity, am i right or wrong??

All of this can actually be averted after birth, too.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

satanic splash-back posted:

All of this can actually be averted after birth, too.

well yeah i know that...what i meant was legally and under a doctors supervision

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Mariana Horchata posted:

well yeah i know that...what i meant was legally and under a doctors supervision

It is totally legal for a Ph.D. to kill another human in the name of 'self defense' in my state.

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month
Listen, google this, i'm gonna seriouspost for a second here, the rest can skip over to the next funny reply:

I have some relatives who were literally killed in a pogrom. It was a pretty long time ago, but recent enough to still be remembered by my family.
Yet I still tolerate jokes about Jews on SA. Do you know why?

Because freedom of speech is more important than my feeling of discomfort. Because occasionally reading things I might not like creates an atmosphere where I am able to voice my own, sometimes non-mainstream, opinion and have a debate instead of a one-sided lecture on what is "the right opinion".
Because tolerance means accepting other opinions and even offensive speech, rather than getting offended before one even hear the other side.

In conclusion, I'm truly sorry about your aunt but that still does not give you the right to silence other users.

God drat these BYOB honeypot threads. Why do I knowingly get sucked into them?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

H.H posted:

God drat these BYOB honeypot threads. Why do I knowingly get sucked into them?

Autism?:shrug:

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

autistic people have a funny way of arguing on the internet where they get really intense and argue with you over the dumbest things in such a literal way, picking apart your words without taking any emotional meaning from them, taking jokes super literally and having a fundamental lack of understanding of tone

its super funny

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think anyone who gets really obsessed with sonic is funny and pathetic regardless of where they are on the spectrum

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
has anybody said "everything" to the OP's question "what's so funny about autism?" yet?

because that's the answer

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lutNECOZFw

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012
autism simulator game:

http://gamejolt.com/games/auti-sim/12761

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Mariana Horchata posted:

You'd be right. They're the same fucktards who would object to correcting physical congenital defects as well.
People who are against designer babies are hypocritical monsters whose entire argument boils down to "I think it's good that some people are born disabled."

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
My contribution to that "Sam Sperglord, Autistic Private Detective" thread is probably my greatest achievement in life. Why do you want to take that away from me, OP? I mean, I don't have a lot going for me. You can probably tell just from what I told you.

It's been Goldmined if you want to read it while I cry.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

My contribution to that "Sam Sperglord, Autistic Private Detective" thread is probably my greatest achievement in life. Why do you want to take that away from me, OP? I mean, I don't have a lot going for me. You can probably tell just from what I told you.

It's been Goldmined if you want to read it while I cry.

We need to do that one again someday.
Not right now, because I'm not running on a lot of sleep this week and my creativity has suffered.
But, you know... some time in the near future. Maybe as a CYOA.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Applewhite posted:

yes that was the best thread

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
you know another thing thats funny is deformities like moles or hair lips?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Applewhite posted:

Not right now, because I'm not running on a lot of sleep this week and my creativity has suffered.
But, you know... some time in the near future. Maybe as a CYOA.

As an IRL PI, my job would be so much more entertaining (but way less lucrative) if it were anything like the stories in that thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

I think what we should do is isolate autists into a special social grouping where the specific social action of humor is barred. That way they can constantly be reminded about their disease and how it relates to every social action they take and how every social action somebody does around them is contrived with their disorder in mind and taken with specific thought about that disorder. That way they can constantly be thinking about autism and how it makes them the person they are and how they must approach all social situations with prejudice and forethought of autism while everyone else treats them with prejudice and modifies any social setting to exclude jeering with their presence. That way it's just lovely and awkward everywhere they go and lovely and awkward for everyone else, and everyone is subconsciously reminded of how lovely and awkward the presence of autists make everything. Because that way an autist will never get called a shithead like a normal person when they are acting like a shithead.

when were you first diagnosed

• Locked thread