Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

Thats a good point. I'm trying to think of a really successful female comedian who didn't need to go to vulgarity, and it's kinda hard.
In general, blue comedy (there's an old-rear end term for you) does better for both sexes. Stand-up is definitely super misogynist, especially the old "women aren't funny" chestnut, but let's not overlook the accomplishments of classic comedians like Ellen Degeneres or Rita Rudner.

Also women are doing a lot more in comedy writing and acting now without going blue - Amy Poelher, Tina Fey, Chelsea Peretti, etc. I think a lot of the exciting things happening with women in comedy aren't happening in front of the mic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
titled "Migrant Gangs Attacking Women"

Fourth single-panel Kirschen in a row.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

"funky"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Trogdos! posted:

I applaud it honestly!

His old thing of shoehorning his dialogue into four...

panels, no matter what, never really worked!

Plus he seems to be actually drawing poo poo now.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Trogdos! posted:

titled "Migrant Gangs Attacking Women"
http://i.imgur.com/CZ9LcND.gif

Yea, but he still ignore the important stuff: female comedians.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

We're barely past the Bowie cartoons, now its time for some Alan Rickman cartoons already. yeesh.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Found this old cartoon by Bish. Mickey's face sells it.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Tei posted:

Yea, but he still ignore the important stuff: female comedians.

I agree. The systematic discrimination against women in numerous areas of public life is a far more important concern than the reactionary racism of Kirschen and others of his ilk.

It's good to know that we as a forum can get together and agree on these matters :)

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The "inside" in Inside Amy Schumer is supposed to refer to her mind since the show's main visual transition queue is showing her thinking about something then zooming in on her head.

I imagine we're gonna get a wave of more obituary cartoons, because Alan Rickman just passed away from cancer :smith:

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 14, 2016

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Xanderkish posted:

I agree. The systematic discrimination against women in numerous areas of public life is a far more important concern than the reactionary racism of Kirschen and others of his ilk.

It's good to know that we as a forum can get together and agree on these matters :)

Female comedians is a serious topic. not a fun one.

And while I agree our society should progress to equality and freedom and equal opportunities, sometimes there are more important topics on table that affect both men and women.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Have you watched any of the ads for Inside Amy Schumer? At best you can call it a pun - it's definitely supposed to be taken exactly the way Jen Sorenson took it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

seiferguy posted:

The "inside" I'm Inside Amy Schumer is supposed to refer to her mind since the show's main visual transition queue is showing her thinking about something then zooming in on her head.

Yeah sure and "Inside Man" was supposed to be about how he was a sleeper agent :eyeroll:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Says the man who called the person who said he was unfunny a pedophile.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Pomp posted:

oh what the gently caress

edit:There's going to be at least one "By Grabthar's hammer, you shall be avenged" cartoon directed at cancer.

Now I'm going to be disappointed if I don't see one.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

loquacius posted:

Plus he seems to be actually drawing poo poo now.

Is he? :raise:

(I kind of scrolled past this before, until I wanted to see what it was actually like when he drew. Now I just want to know how advanced he thinks European technology is.)

Ed. Oh goddammit grabbed the edit. Well. Hats off.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

That's pretty tame by Charlie Hebdo's standards.

"Delayed economic recovery."

I know Jarlsberg's political intellect is on pull-my-finger levels, but I'd love to hear him explain that one. Credit I suppose for actually noting there was an economic recovery, unlike all the chucklefucks who kept drawing GIANT UNEMPLOYMENT PERCENTAGES and then stopped for some reason.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea college sports have been 'under fire' for a bit now for issues ranging from 'hey dudes you're making bank off these guys but some of them are going to bed hungry' to 'hey you're basically destroying these kids and making them rely on a job that at best lasts a good few seasons before their knees explode or whatever and then woops you hosed them out of an education so I guess they can go franchise a Quiznos or something, is Quiznos still a thing?'

The other side of it is, more or less 'but we really LIKE making money off these guys and not paying them. Also football is a tough manly sport stop being a pussy about your 'string of concussions before your 21st birthday' you baby'.

There was some actual art I saw a while back with a football player lined up in a squat ready for a play opposite a sharecropper in just about the same position picking cotton. Can't find it for the life of me, it was at Raleigh's art museum.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tatum Girlparts posted:

a woman calling her show 'full frontal' is just a v. troubling trend

lol

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Here's the Charlie Hebdo cartoon that's causing a stir today (the link posted earlier was deleted)

quote:

What would Aylan have become if he had grown up?
rear end-grabber in Germany

More poo poo:

2 http://www.goldprospectors.org/ lol

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Cartoon artist and Donald Trump have a lot in common. Cartoonist offend people and sometimes are racist to entertain the readers. Donald Trump offend people and sometimes is racist to entertain his voters.

Donald Trump is really a performance artist. He could improvise on the spot something stupid that will cause moral panic between all good thinking left wing personas. Cartoon artist sometimes draw something stupid and trollish, but fun.

The difference is that Cartoon artist are not chosen to approve laws.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

seiferguy posted:

I imagine we're gonna get a wave of more obituary cartoons, because Alan Rickman just passed away from cancer :smith:

Joe Biden crushing a cancer cell while yelling, "By Grabthar's Hammer! You shall be avenged!"

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Obama is going to sic #BlackLivesMatter protesters on the Bundy clan. - Something AF Branco actually believes.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

I love this one and resent it being included in the "more poo poo" category.

The Canadian dollar is dropping as quickly as oil as it becomes clear to everyone just how married our economy is to oil exports (and also a housing bubble as big as the US's in 2008, but nobody wants to admit that yet), and fell under 70 cents a few days ago. One forecaster is predicting it to fall to 59 cents US in 2016 and stay there for several years.

Canadians, naturally, are responding to this by acknowledging the weakness of our oil export-based economy and calling for diversification, innovation, and government stimulus blaming the recent election of left-ish governments for everything and claiming all this would just bounce back to normal if we would bring conservatives back to power. Since, y'know, the politicians in Ottawa, Toronto, and Edmonton have so much responsibility over how much oil Saudi Arabia produces.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

D.N. Nation posted:

Obama is going to sic #BlackLivesMatter protesters on the Bundy clan. - Something AF Branco actually believes.

Given the other soldiers in the line, I think Branco means the Bureau of Land Management, which along with the EPA and the Forest Service is a popular bugaboo for those who believe they should be allowed to do anything they want on federal lands.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

D.N. Nation posted:

Oooh GoldProspectors.org, I wonder what that could be.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I wonder if Branco actually thinks the problem is that they set foot on public land (rather than that they seized control of it in an effort to incite rebellion against the federal government or something)

or if he actually thinks Ted Cruz is Trump's biggest problem

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Xanderkish posted:

My guess is a bunch of people who murder natives and release massive quantities of cyanide into the wild.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

The cartoonist has no idea how rear view mirrors work.

Lame Devil
Mar 21, 2013

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
FAIR wrote a response to this political cartoon.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Kakairo posted:

Bernie is clearly looking into the car from the passenger side window, just out of frame.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Kakairo posted:

No, it's a conspiracy comic.

Have you ever seen Hillary and Bernie in the same place at the same time? WELL, HAVE YOU?!?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kakairo posted:

There's no angle he could use where you'd see both Clintons from the front and the Bernie in the mirror, so he had to fudge a bit by putting the rear view mirror at an absurd angle.

What I'm saying is that if you want to say this cartoonist has no idea how something works, try "good choices of visual metaphors" or "scene composition".

the floor is baklava
May 4, 2003

SHAME

seiferguy posted:

The "inside" in Inside Amy Schumer is supposed to refer to her mind since the show's main visual transition queue is showing her thinking about something then zooming in on her head.

It's a double entendre, genius.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the problem with the mirror in the comic is the same mistake Jurassic Park made: "objects closer than they appear" is actually on the passenger side mirror

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Selachian posted:

Given the other soldiers in the line, I think Branco means the Bureau of Land Management, which along with the EPA and the Forest Service is a popular bugaboo for those who believe they should be allowed to do anything they want on federal lands.

There's two BLM shields, and one of them's held by a black guy. I could be reading far too much lunacy into the cartoon, but: Branco.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Xanderkish posted:

quote:

The association opposes mining methods that harm the environment and is against anti-prospecting bureaucracy.

Oh no, Branco! That's tainted hippie money you're getting for that cartoon!

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

D.N. Nation posted:

Oh no, Branco! That's tainted hippie money you're getting for that cartoon!

It's hard not to read that as "no we're not villains, unrelated but we need to get rid of any oversight that would reveal any villainy."

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

vyelkin posted:

I love this one and resent it being included in the "more poo poo" category.

The Canadian dollar is dropping as quickly as oil as it becomes clear to everyone just how married our economy is to oil exports (and also a housing bubble as big as the US's in 2008, but nobody wants to admit that yet), and fell under 70 cents a few days ago. One forecaster is predicting it to fall to 59 cents US in 2016 and stay there for several years.

Canadians, naturally, are responding to this by acknowledging the weakness of our oil export-based economy and calling for diversification, innovation, and government stimulus blaming the recent election of left-ish governments for everything and claiming all this would just bounce back to normal if we would bring conservatives back to power. Since, y'know, the politicians in Ottawa, Toronto, and Edmonton have so much responsibility over how much oil Saudi Arabia produces.

Hi there fellow North American petrostate resident. We keep hearing the same thing here, if only we had reelected out Republican governor, who gave away 2bn of the state budget to the oil companies, we wouldn't have a 3bn budget deficit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Mulva posted:

Hi there fellow North American petrostate resident. We keep hearing the same thing here, if only we had reelected out Republican governor, who gave away 2bn of the state budget to the oil companies, we wouldn't have a 3bn budget deficit!

Kevin O'Leary, who is kind of like a bargain bin Canadian Donald Trump, recently went all Doctor Evil and offered to invest one million dollars in the Albertan oil industry if the newly elected left wing premier of Alberta would just take all the blame for the oil crash and resign her office. Now he's considering running for the leadership of the federal conservative party.

• Locked thread