Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

mr.capps posted:

mafia is my home... and it seems so alien to me

It made it very difficult to pick teams when I didn't know 2/3rds of the people playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
ive got about an hour later to read but thats pretty much it until tomorrow afternoon. the middle of the week is a bad time for a day, for me. sorry for not being around

whats the haps

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

fits posted:

ive got about an hour later to read but thats pretty much it until tomorrow afternoon. the middle of the week is a bad time for a day, for me. sorry for not being around

whats the haps

WHO ARE YOU?!?!??

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I'm getting pretty :tinfoil: here but which makes more sense:

The scum use a NK on town KoB for ??? reason.

Scum KoB used a NK on himself to draw suspicion off given that he was the third leading lynchee and the kings favorite target. Especially since the scum would know for sure that he would survive.

Someone convince me I'm crazy.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I think it is a good idea to compare and contrast Meinberg's play here with some of his other games. His posting here is rather insubstantial. While I don't feel good about it, there's a lot that could be potentially dismissed as benign lurking.

In past games as town, Meinberg often seems to have difficulty expressing himself (1), but he's always made the effort to case other players (2) and it is at least possible to tell where his head is. In games as scum, Meinberg has tended to be much more confused and muddled in his logic. As in this game, scum!Meinberg makes a lot of jokes long after they cease to be funny (3), (4) and is much more sparse in his reads (5), (6). His posting on D2 is worse on both fronts. Given the sparseness of his contributions (7), (8), (9), I'm having real difficulty getting into his head. All these facts fill me with a sense of dread. I don't see the kind of effort that I usually associate with Meinberg nor do I get a sense of consistency between posts. His summary post is just that, a summary, that doesn't seem to build toward anything substantial.

In footnotes 5 and 6, Meinberg seems to rely on much of the same awkward rules-focused approach to casing as he does in his early case on WeLandedOnTheMoon (7) Reading through Meinberg's response to King of Bleh again (8), I find the insinuation of deliberate misinterpretation to be a stretch. I think Meinberg voted so that he would have a vote somewhere, not because he had genuine suspicions.

##vote: Meinberg

Quandary posted:

Scum KoB used a NK on himself to draw suspicion off given that he was the third leading lynchee and the kings favorite target. Especially since the scum would know for sure that he would survive.

It's possible, I guess, but it puts KoB in an extremely vulnerable position with a claimed dayvig running around. I don't see it as a likely scenario.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Quandary posted:

Who do you think is scummy?

Currently I'm thinking it might be capps. He's made a lot of noise since he replaced in absolutely none of it is in anyway useful. ##vote capps

Otherwise I find merk's case on opop quite persuasive.

Opopanax posted:

I wouldn't put me into battle tonight IMO
It makes me wonder if this is trying to ensure someone is in our camp to do the nk.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

YO, QPQwhat did you do in battle?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Quandary posted:

I'd say you're crazy at this point.

Worst case, put KoB in on the front lines and let him eat it there.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

CCKeane posted:

YO, QPQwhat did you do in battle?

He already posted that he targeted 100 as well.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Puntification posted:

Currently I'm thinking it might be capps. He's made a lot of noise

EVEN THE PLAYERS I USED TO PLAY WITH HAVE FORGOT WHO I AM

but its actually you lol
##vote Puntification

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

QuoProQuid posted:

It's possible, I guess, but it puts KoB in an extremely vulnerable position with a claimed dayvig running around. I don't see it as a likely scenario.

Yeah, but with what's been established: NK is 'only' 5 damage, and Moon's dayvig effect being super weak, you could easily just hold back on the NK, claim that you were hit by it, and if Moon targets you you say that he brought you close to death, all without being in any actual danger. Heck, you probably soak up some healing in the process that could otherwise go to somebody else.

##vote KoB

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Puntification posted:

He already posted that he targeted 100 as well.

QPQ it is very rude to buy a username change in the middle of a mafia game, FYI.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

The Lord of Hats posted:

Yeah, but with what's been established: NK is 'only' 5 damage, and Moon's dayvig effect being super weak, you could easily just hold back on the NK, claim that you were hit by it, and if Moon targets you you say that he brought you close to death, all without being in any actual danger. Heck, you probably soak up some healing in the process that could otherwise go to somebody else.

##vote KoB

Yep I'd buy Lord of Hats as scum too.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

CCKeane posted:

I'd say you're crazy at this point.

Worst case, put KoB in on the front lines and let him eat it there.

If we think someone is scum, we should lynch them, not put them in battle where they get to kill people and also might not actually die.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Lord of Hats has made more than a few posts that have looked really weird to me. I really haven't been a fan of his cheerleading (1), (2) or his substituting of scumhunting with battle chat (3), (4). According to votefinder, though, Hats is really new (5) and some of his most recent posting betrays that fact (5). I get a lot of new player awkwardness from him and he hasn't really posted enough actual content for me to make a good read. I haven't noticed any obvious tone issues.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

The Lord of Hats posted:

If we think someone is scum, we should lynch them, not put them in battle where they get to kill people and also might not actually die.

I don't think KOB is scum but you sure do like posting suppositions about optimal strategies!

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

The Lord of Hats posted:

this is dumb tho

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

QuoProQuid posted:

this is dumb tho

Putting scum in the battlegroup is legit a bad idea.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

CCKeane posted:

QPQ it is very rude to buy a username change in the middle of a mafia game, FYI.

????

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Quandary posted:

dragnix died n0, no reason to get all :tinfoil:

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

QuoProQuid posted:

this is dumb tho

He's absolutely correct actually

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the only way its not a dumb idea is if your entire battlegroup is scum

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

It's cos I answered instead of you I think.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
a suicide squad if you will

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

CCKeane posted:

I don't think KOB is scum but you sure do like posting suppositions about optimal strategies!

"We should put scum in the battlegroup!"
"That's a bad idea, scum want to be in the battlegroup"
"Boy you sure do like theorizing about optimal strategies"

:confused:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
lor of hats are you bbad guy

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

im dumb and misread it as "if we think someone is scum, we should put them in battle"

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

QuoProQuid posted:

im dumb and misread it as "if we think someone is scum, we should put them in battle"

wow that is dumb

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

mr.capps posted:

a suicide squad if you will

comic books are dumb

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

QuoProQuid posted:

comic books are dumb

not as dumb as you apparently

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
also... comic books good

tuckfard
Dec 9, 2003

Just chillin
QPQ I like the way you post. I'm going to read over those things as well as meinberg but for now ##vote capps because you are intentionally doing nothing right now but making noise

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

mr.capps posted:

not as dumb as you apparently

i cant be perfect capps

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
HEY EVERYONE CHECK OUT AFTERLIFE WITH ARCHIE YOU ALL

Its like Walking Dead, if Walking Dead wasn't total loving poo poo and atricous. Jesus loving christ what a poo poo loving comic i can't believe people read that and think "wow this is good"

are people just loving illiterate these days? i don't mean like reading illiterate, but "reading" illiterate. like everyone seems to think "plotting" is writing and it drives me loving insane. game of thrones does not have good writing, it has amazing plotting. its poorly written and the books are horrible when it comes to prose. the show is better because with actors you can actually elevate the material. and like breaking bad isn't the best written thing ever, IT JUST HAS REALLY GOOD PLOTTING

i mean jesus christ people think aaron sorkin is a good writer these days what the gently caress

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

tuckfard posted:

QPQ I like the way you post. I'm going to read over those things as well as meinberg but for now ##vote capps because you are intentionally doing nothing right now but making noise

its punt

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

The Lord of Hats posted:

##vote KoB

Wut

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Puntification posted:

Currently I'm thinking it might be capps. He's made a lot of noise since he replaced in absolutely none of it is in anyway useful. ##vote capps

Otherwise I find merk's case on opop quite persuasive.

It makes me wonder if this is trying to ensure someone is in our camp to do the nk.

Like its ironic Punt mentions that he is voting me because of "noise" because this post is exactly that, noise.

I don't mean in the "oh look some person is just posting random nonsense unrelated to the game" sense in how most people use the term noise, but in the "wow this post is literally noise designed to sound like actual thinking"

like i do not believe in it. its fake, its hollow, its noise.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
god drat i hate the walkign dead!!!

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Can we get Spoonsy back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013