Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Also beyond the fact that the books come out regularly, each one is a basically self contained story. It's all in the same setting with the same people and there's no reset button or anything, but you could theoretically stop at the end of any of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Weren't the books originally supposed to stop at a trilogy?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That would make sense. The first three have a definite arc to them. The fourth is more stand alone and the fifth clearly is starting up a whole new thing.

But it's not like ASOIAF where it's really just one gigantic book.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Could someone help me figure out the relationship between Dawes and Fred Johnson? Johnson commissioned the Scopuli trip, but I thought Dawes was behind it? I clearly have missed something along the way.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Mons Hubris posted:

Could someone help me figure out the relationship between Dawes and Fred Johnson? Johnson commissioned the Scopuli trip, but I thought Dawes was behind it? I clearly have missed something along the way.

I don't remember how much the show got into it but they're both OPA bigwigs

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Mons Hubris posted:

As I understand it they're both nominally OPA guys. Dawes is the underworld/terrorist side, Johnson is the legit/business side, but they both have the same goal overall.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I just got through the first book, and I have to say the show has been been a really great adaptation thus far. Most of the changes they've made have been pretty smart and respectful of the book's universe, the only thing I don't care for is all the forced drama between the crew of the Rocinante when in the book they're best buds from the get go, which of course they are 'cause they've worked closely together for 5 years.

They're not gonna get through the first book with three episodes left though, so I'm really curious as to where they'll leave it off.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Yeah the manufactured crew drama is pretty annoying. Hopefully there's a bonding episode that takes care of a lot of the drama.

But I anticipate some bullshit love triangle forming because reasons :argh:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Hakkesshu posted:

They're not gonna get through the first book with three episodes left though, so I'm really curious as to where they'll leave it off.

Probably at the obvious cliffhanger.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Yeah the manufactured crew drama is pretty annoying. Hopefully there's a bonding episode that takes care of a lot of the drama.

I'll have to find the link but I remember one of the people involved with writing the show saying something along the lines of "you see how the crew is in the first book? we want to get them there by season 3," which if true is pretty lovely.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The whole torture scene with Miller vs Dawes was really intense.

Liked all the tension how both character were trying to gently caress with each by trying to nail down their opponent's weaknesses.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Professor Bling posted:

I'll have to find the link but I remember one of the people involved with writing the show saying something along the lines of "you see how the crew is in the first book? we want to get them there by season 3," which if true is pretty lovely.

That explanation at least helps their nonchalance about Shed. Poor guy gets his head blown off in front of them and nobody even mentions it until drunk Holden's toast of "Haha, that guy sucked."

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

etalian posted:

The whole torture scene with Miller vs Dawes was really intense.

Liked all the tension how both character were trying to gently caress with each by trying to nail down their opponent's weaknesses.
The hat was a great prop during that scene, I was on the edge of my seat the whole time wondering if anything was going to fall out of the hatband, or get found. A good scene.

Professor Shark posted:

I finished Cibola Burn and went straight into Nemesis Games. I hope I never have to experience Elvi ever again but I'm sorry that Miller is gone :(
Don't grieve yet. :unsmith:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 15, 2016

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Hobo Clown posted:

That explanation at least helps their nonchalance about Shed. Poor guy gets his head blown off in front of them and nobody even mentions it until drunk Holden's toast of "Haha, that guy sucked."

From memory the first book was actually a write up of an online forum role playing game run by one of the authors. Shed was one of the player characters and was killed when his player was no longer able to participate.

Also the comparisons with ASOIAF are interesting because one of the authors either is or was George RR Martin's assistant.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Any helmet gif yet?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

coyo7e posted:

The hat was a great prop during that scene, I was on the edge of my seat the whole time wondering if anything was going to fall out of the hatband, or get found. A good scene.

I like how the OPA did get the data in the end through a pretty indirect method.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

HERAK posted:

Also the comparisons with ASOIAF are interesting because one of the authors either is or was George RR Martin's assistant.

It was Ty Franck:

quote:

Franck went on to work for several years as Martin’s personal assistant, helping him manage his finances. People often assume that Martin had a major influence on Franck’s work, but in fact Franck never even tried to emulate Martin’s writing method, which involves a great deal of improvisation, false starts, and rewrites.

“I could not do that. I have to know where I’m going. I have to know what the next chapters are about,” Franck says in Episode 113 of the Geek’s Guide to the Galaxy podcast. “We just have very different brains for doing this work.”

Full article here: http://www.wired.com/2014/07/geeks-guide-ty-franck/
(There's no straight up book spoilers there, but they talk about how they chose the title of each book and that might give away the plot)

Daniel Abraham writes the Dagger & The Coin fantasy series, which has also been consistently coming out every year. The first one was attached to my Kindle version of Leviathan Wakes.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Hobo Clown posted:

It was Ty Franck:

Full article here: http://www.wired.com/2014/07/geeks-guide-ty-franck/
(There's no straight up book spoilers there, but they talk about how they chose the title of each book and that might give away the plot)

Daniel Abraham writes the Dagger & The Coin fantasy series, which has also been consistently coming out every year. The first one was attached to my Kindle version of Leviathan Wakes.

So he knows what not to do then ;)

Also did anyone catch the name of the nephew that was spaced by his uncle? Book 5 spoilers There is no chance he could turn out to be Filip?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

HERAK posted:

Also did anyone catch the name of the nephew that was spaced by his uncle? Book 5 spoilers There is no chance he could turn out to be Filip?
Diogo, I've heard (I missed the name too). He's in the assault on Thoth Station, if it's the same character.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

I finished Cibola Burn and went straight into Nemesis Games. I hope I never have to experience Elvi ever again but I'm sorry that Miller is gone :(

Just finished Nemesis Games, no Elvi in sight.

HERAK posted:

Book 5 spoilers Filip is 15 at NG, which takes at least 4 years after the first book, so I don't think we'll get to see him for quite a while.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Hobo Clown posted:

Weren't the books originally supposed to stop at a trilogy?

It was originally a trilogy. Then, when they were writing Abaddon's Gate (the third novel) they were extended out to six books, which I think explains some of the pacing issues the book has. During the writing of Cibola Burn (#4), they were extended out to nine.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

Tortolia posted:

I love the actress but I do hope that as they get into more of the pre-existing story for her they ramp up the language some.

I get the feeling that we won't see the same character in the show. The show version seems to be heavy on the 'ruthless politician with questionable ethics' rather than the 'potty mouth grandma chessmaster'.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

pugnax posted:

I get the feeling that we won't see the same character in the show. The show version seems to be heavy on the 'ruthless politician with questionable ethics' rather than the 'potty mouth grandma chessmaster'.

they've said they want to show avasarala become the person we see in the books.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Milky Moor posted:

they've said they want to show avasarala become the person we see in the books.

It SyFy channel. We're not going to see potty mouth grandma.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

johnsonrod posted:

It SyFy channel. We're not going to see potty mouth grandma.

We probably won't get "gently caress" and all it's variants, but we have had at least one "poo poo" on the show so far. I mean she probably won't get to paint-stripping levels of cursing, but I could see her getting more vulgar and blunt with her language as tensions rise.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

NowonSA posted:

My god, after seeing books in the Song of Ice and Fire series constantly be delayed and having to wait extra long for books from my other favorite fantasy authors, I just bow down and worship at that level of consistency. I can't imagine churning out 550 pages a year, even as a two-person team. I suppose that people like Stephen King and John Grisham just laugh at that as they pop out well over 1k a year on average though.

Funny you should mention King considering it took him like 30 years to put out the seven books in the Dark Tower. Largely for the same reason too, just getting sick of the series.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah but they were actually good when he released them, and it started off as a single novel he wrote as a teenager after getting high as gently caress and watching "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly"

Except for the last three, those were terrible. So like half the series.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

pugnax posted:

Which is a shame, because I can't picture better television than her getting an apparent reverse, smiling and curtly telling everyone freaking out to shut the gently caress up and let the grownups talk. The book character doesn't even strike me as all that ruthless. She just sees the matrix, reacts accordingly, and is annoyed that everyone can't see that. "That guy has to die because that guy has to die. Why are we still talking about this." I think she suffers because television can't directly narrate her thought processes.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

flosofl posted:

We probably won't get "gently caress" and all it's variants, but we have had at least one "poo poo" on the show so far. I mean she probably won't get to paint-stripping levels of cursing, but I could see her getting more vulgar and blunt with her language as tensions rise.

They can always lean into the crude or vulgar without having to use direct swears too. Avasarala has a throwaway line in book 2 about how her hair looks like a hedgehog is humping her head. Play up that kind of vulgarity along with words that Syfy will air like poo poo and rear end in a top hat and it'll work fine.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I just want to hear the line "Shut the gently caress up or I'll have those two men outside beat you with a chair" in that voice. :swoon:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Milky Moor posted:

I just want to hear the line "Shut the gently caress up or I'll have those two men outside beat you with a chair" in that voice. :swoon:

...Now I'm hearing Shoreh Agdashloo saying "Shut the gently caress up, Donny" in my head. :psyboom:

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
I think that I've watched every episode at least twice now. If you've read the books there are a lot of little details and shout outs in the background. Also, I actually made excited kid noises the first time Tycho Station appeared on screen.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I liked the showdown with Fred Johnson, shows how he's a tactical genius and how well he can quickly read people due to his experience.

Also burning holden with the line, "You’re either some kind of genius, Mr. Holden, or you’re the biggest dipshit in the universe"

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

gohmak posted:

Any helmet gif yet?

eposed wire dangling?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

gohmak posted:

eposed wire dangling?

When I watched the episode, I thought the dude was getting high or something cause he just breathed out like a stoner.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
space isn't a vacuum, it's weed

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

etalian posted:

I liked the showdown with Fred Johnson, shows how he's a tactical genius and how well he can quickly read people due to his experience.

Also burning holden with the line, "You’re either some kind of genius, Mr. Holden, or you’re the biggest dipshit in the universe"

I don't think it shows he's a tactical genius, it doesn't take a lot of tactical acumen to bring more dudes to back you up or to distrust Holden and company. I mean the whole thing was a continuous escalation of the threat of force culminating in an implied threat to rip the station apart. I think it shows that he's dangerous, and that they are cutting deals with people who they can only trust when they have them at gunpoint.

I also took the whole dressing down of Holden and Amos a different way; he seems to have Holden pegged, probably due to their similar backgrounds, but he pretty much misses the boat on Amos. Amos hasn't been shown as particularly angry or stupid, he's just largely amoral and thus doesn't have a problem with using force.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

akulanization posted:

I don't think it shows he's a tactical genius, it doesn't take a lot of tactical acumen to bring more dudes to back you up or to distrust Holden and company. I mean the whole thing was a continuous escalation of the threat of force culminating in an implied threat to rip the station apart. I think it shows that he's dangerous, and that they are cutting deals with people who they can only trust when they have them at gunpoint.

I also took the whole dressing down of Holden and Amos a different way; he seems to have Holden pegged, probably due to their similar backgrounds, but he pretty much misses the boat on Amos. Amos hasn't been shown as particularly angry or stupid, he's just largely amoral and thus doesn't have a problem with using force.

Yeah, most people underestimate Amos. He's much smarter than he lets on. I think even, in Caliban's War, Naomi basically tells him this, something along the lines of how even Amos himself underestimates how smart he is. Amos has a cold, calculated anger and doesn't really display poor impulse control (in the sense that he's not prepared for any consequences). He's no academic but he's a great mechanic and fairly perceptive and cunning, all in all.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Amos is pretty cool since he reminds me of Drax the Destroyer with his direct nature of interacting with people and his sense of loyalty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'm liking this so far but I wish they'd pick up the pace.

• Locked thread