Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Inferior Third Season posted:

And when FarSight starts running out of quality tables in the next few years,

They partnered with Stern to do modern tables with the possibility of co-releasing. They aren't running out of tables for a while. The only thing I could see making an issue is if Zen has an e-pinball exclusivity license for all those comic pinball tables or Walking Dead, Family Guy, etc. where there is a Stern version and a Zen version of the same IP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

djfooboo posted:

They partnered with Stern to do modern tables with the possibility of co-releasing. They aren't running out of tables for a while. The only thing I could see making an issue is if Zen has an e-pinball exclusivity license for all those comic pinball tables or Walking Dead, Family Guy, etc. where there is a Stern version and a Zen version of the same IP.

Just rebrand everything Shrek imo. The Walking Shrek, Shrek Man, and of course, Shrek.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Like, I'm not saying that Farsight are scum of the earth that deserve to burn on the ninth circle of hell for their crimes against pinball (though I am getting increasingly pissed off at them because of their disgusting lack of care for the sound quality of their recent releases, seriously, how the gently caress do you not notice this poo poo), but like Inferior Third Season, I'm somewhat irked by Farsight just using Kickstarter as a standard repeated source of cash for whenever licensing costs exceed a certain sum like it was never an option for them to foot the bill themselves after years of doing this.

It's like it's just an accepted thing now that when there's a licensed table where the license costs a fair bit to acquire that either the fans pay for it or it doesn't get made, simple as that. I guess that's just the world we live in now.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

djfooboo posted:

The pace of release for virtual tables is much faster than real tables. And whenever the Stern app comes out, it's going to need to have at least four or five tables already at launch to entice people to get it at all. Yeah, they've got maybe three years or so left of backlog, but they'll eventually burn through them. They've already acquired equipment and talent and an office. They're not just going to go "welp, guess it was fun while it lasted", and fire everyone. They'll try something new, with original tables being the obvious choice.

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

Thanks for the replies, dudes. Looks like I am gonna be saving my pennies for a while!

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

LordPants posted:

Just rebrand everything Shrek imo. The Walking Shrek, Shrek Man, and of course, Shrek.

Has anyone here played the Shrek table? There's one at my local arcade, but I've always been too self-conscious to try it.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Zombie Squared posted:

Has anyone here played the Shrek table? There's one at my local arcade, but I've always been too self-conscious to try it.

I had to play it for a league. It's ok. It's got a lot of crude/juvenile humor soundbites.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I'm just waiting for the Cheetahmen table. Come on Farsight, you can't forget about your roots!

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Zombie Squared posted:

I assume you (and most people here) know, but the gameplay is the same as Family Guy. If you've played one, you've basically played both. It's just that one has farts and barfing.

They can even use each other's ROMs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IrKrBOWOEg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqfm-Bzv_ZE

Hmmmm. Something I'm not sure of. Does Shrek have a Spanish mode like Family Guy does?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Tony Phillips posted:

Hmmmm. Something I'm not sure of. Does Shrek have a Spanish mode like Family Guy does?

I would find it incredibly strange if Shrek doesn't have Spanish, though to be honest, I'm not sure of that myself. I'll see if I can find out.

EDIT: Spanish text, but no speech is the answer, it seems. Assuming they didn't bother due to the limited rollout... actually, what the gently caress, that makes no sense. I'm about 95% certain that Shrek was made for the European market, since Family Guy isn't nearly as popular a franchise (similar as to how NASCAR became a generic F1 theme and NFL became Strikers Extreme), so why the gently caress does Family Guy have different language ROMs (including Italian (!) of all languages), but Shrek doesn't? I can see Spanish being important in the US due to the Hispanic market, but come on, Italian is going to be way more important in Europe than in the US! Italy is like the #2 pinball country in Europe after Germany, I think (though that's extremely spitballing it).

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 15, 2016

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

Tony Phillips posted:

I assume you (and most people here) know, but the gameplay is the same as Family Guy. If you've played one, you've basically played both. It's just that one has farts and barfing.

Seems pretty par for the course. Regarding the theme, at least!

I'm pretty new to pinball. Only started playing it seriously in the last couple of months. My favourite table so far is Twister, because of the dumb gimmick fan. That should tell you everything you need to know.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Zombie Squared posted:

I'm pretty new to pinball. Only started playing it seriously in the last couple of months. My favourite table so far is Twister, because of the dumb gimmick fan. That should tell you everything you need to know.

Dumb gimmicks are one of the best things about pinball tables. :thumbsup:

breaks
May 12, 2001

Fan, you say?

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

I don't see why twister isn't rated higher on pinside then. Surely the superior midi cover of Van Halen's "Respect the Wind" that plays constantly during the game alone is worth the price of admission!

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

Haha, That looks amazing. Is that a specially adjusted table, or is the standard to have a gale force wind blown in your face at all times?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Zombie Squared posted:

Haha, That looks amazing. Is that a specially adjusted table, or is the standard to have a gale force wind blown in your face at all times?

I believe it's because there is a leaf blower hooked up where there is normally just a small fan.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Zombie Squared posted:

Well, back to the original question - give Shrek and try and see if you like it. (Nobody is going to care.) Whether or not a game is fun rules the day over theme for me.

Local operator recently added a Family Guy and I've played it a bit. Decent enough theme if you enjoy the show. The gameplay itself is completely middle of the road to me. I don't actively dislike playing it, but I don't look forward to it either.

Pros :
- If you like the show, then the call outs and things may amuse you. It's as crude a machine as you'll find. It amuses my inner 12 year old I guess.
- It's probably telling that I can't think of something else to write here.

Cons (To me.) :
- After a year or so of playing Simpsons Pinball Party at home, I'm mini-playfielded out. Just too much stop and go for my tastes. And the Stewie mini playfield is literally a separate table entirely. (Also, screw the Lois shot on the mini table.)
- The upper left flipper is a game of pinball Russian roulette. Just trouble waiting to happen if you miss your shot. Bowen's tutorial video spends a decent amount of time going over how to play without even using that flipper. I've settled in on just holding the flipper up on right orbit shots in order to feed the ball back to the lower flippers with minimal risk. You can also just not flip at all, but this doesn't work as well on the one I've been playing.

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

mattfl posted:

I believe it's because there is a leaf blower hooked up where there is normally just a small fan.

As long as it teaches people to respect the wind!

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

TheMcD posted:

Like, I'm not saying that Farsight are scum of the earth that deserve to burn on the ninth circle of hell for their crimes against pinball (though I am getting increasingly pissed off at them because of their disgusting lack of care for the sound quality of their recent releases, seriously, how the gently caress do you not notice this poo poo), but like Inferior Third Season, I'm somewhat irked by Farsight just using Kickstarter as a standard repeated source of cash for whenever licensing costs exceed a certain sum like it was never an option for them to foot the bill themselves after years of doing this.

It's like it's just an accepted thing now that when there's a licensed table where the license costs a fair bit to acquire that either the fans pay for it or it doesn't get made, simple as that. I guess that's just the world we live in now.

Did you consider that maybe it really isn't an option for them to finance it themselves? As far as I'm aware, Farsight is a pretty small studio. Even if they could afford the license, why take the risk on an investment that might not pay off, when they can just let people preorder the table at a discount to fund the license?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

As a Millennial I posted:

Did you consider that maybe it really isn't an option for them to finance it themselves? As far as I'm aware, Farsight is a pretty small studio. Even if they could afford the license, why take the risk on an investment that might not pay off, when they can just let people preorder the table at a discount to fund the license?

I considered it. I didn't figure that "*insert base table cost here* is a secure investment we'll take over and over again but *insert base table cost here plus 70K* is way too great a risk for us to take" would apply for them, but I guess they're really that small even after decades in the business.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

The company reviews on glassdoor complain about low pay, no overtime, no sick days. Pinball's a niche market, it doesn't surprise me that they'll take some extra funding wherever they can get it.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

As a Millennial I posted:

The company reviews on glassdoor complain about low pay, no overtime, no sick days. Pinball's a niche market, it doesn't surprise me that they'll take some extra funding wherever they can get it.

no ot, no sick time? maybe the ceo is just a dick

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Sorry, I skipped a page and didn't realize the argument was already over.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

I think the rewards are probably the weakest thing about the Kickstarter. Can't wait to pay 500 dollars and get a hoodie, print, and invitation to an electronic pinball tournament. As someone who is just gonna buy the season when it comes out, there's literally no reason for me to donate since I'm not a huge fan of the Dr. Who machine any way (that could also be the one that I play has hair trigger for tilts)

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Going to pay less per table by waiting for whatever season it's on to come out. I'll buy the season eventually anyways.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Zombie Squared posted:

I honestly enjoy playing Shrek more than Family Guy, for some reason.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Dead_Flip is playing the Rob Zombie pinball table. http://www.twitch.tv/dead_flip

So many drains.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Call Me Charlie posted:

Dead_Flip is playing the Rob Zombie pinball table. http://www.twitch.tv/dead_flip

So many drains.

It almost seems like whatever rubbers they have on the slingshots are super bouncy leading to a ton of right outlane drains. Lots of balls heading that way.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Collateral Damage posted:

I honestly enjoy playing Shrek more than Family Guy, for some reason.

Shrek is somehow less annoying.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yeah I think it's because the sound design is much better.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Call Me Charlie posted:

So many drains.
house of 1k corpses is cool. overall the table isnt that exciting to me though

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Call Me Charlie posted:

So many drains.

Spooky Pinball, I don't know how they do it but I like it a lot.

I guess super low runs helps, as spinning up a line to get a lot made is very difficult. But i'm still impressed they put these games out that have such character.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the new pinball arcade interface is up in beta form. im sure you all know how to get to a games beta branch menu in steam

i really do not like it and have already switched back.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Awesome! posted:

the new pinball arcade interface is up in beta form. im sure you all know how to get to a games beta branch menu in steam

i really do not like it and have already switched back.

Can you tell what they were going for from the changes?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

not sure what you mean. they went with a whole redo of the interface pretty much. i can post some of my likes/dislikes if youre interested but its a small download so you can just check it out yourself too

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Eh, I like it. The main thing that I didn't like about the previous menu is that it took a while to go through tables to find the one I wanted, and now that they have a mouse-driven interface, that works a lot easier, so I'm happy.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

The interface itself is horrible and I hate "modern minimalistic" styles where everything is a vague icon that you're not sure what it means. And despite the fact that it's meant to be totally mouse-driven they decided to only let you go back to the main menu by pressing the back button on the controller (or ESC on keyboard? I don't use keyboard). The two things I do really like are the menu for choosing tables since I hated the old scrolling method of cycling through every table, and the "Random Table" option on the main menu because sometimes I do want to just play a random table instead of agonizing over which one I want to play next or just playing the same one over and over again.

Also they apparently finally took advantage of the license they got to use Pinball Wizard for Party Zone and applied that to the main menu music. I mean I don't like the Who but it's cool that we have the real song now instead of the almost-sound-alike.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

King Vidiot posted:

Also they apparently finally took advantage of the license they got to use Pinball Wizard for Party Zone and applied that to the main menu music. I mean I don't like the Who but it's cool that we have the real song now instead of the almost-sound-alike.

Though of course they still need to go with a cover rather than the actual original.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So what happened to that hint that suggested an upcoming table might be Fireball?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Did... did they really show a scrotum getting torn open during the ball save animation in that Rob Zombie game? Did I completely misinterpret what I saw there? I rewound and rewatched it and I swear that's what it was.