Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Re: quad core Mac minis, I vaguely recall there being some technical reason for that not being a thing anymore, at least with the same other hardware. But can't find it now. Alas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

If Intel offers it to Apple *and* gives them a good deal price wise, it could happen. If Apple doesn't think it's worth it or doesn't get a deal, the next gen of Minis will forever be dual core.
Oh I'm sure they'll have enough access to it if they want, it'd essentially be the next high end MBP 15" chip (...barring a redesign requiring lower power).

smackfu posted:

Re: quad core Mac minis, I vaguely recall there being some technical reason for that not being a thing anymore, at least with the same other hardware. But can't find it now. Alas.
With the previous models the quad cores were socket compatible with the dual cores, so they could use a single board across the line. With the ones in there now (Haswell?) the dual and quad parts have different sockets, looks like Skylake has the same thing going on too. I think the 21" iMac is the only machine that has different boards to support both sockets in one model (dual mobile and quad desktop), so there's precedence for it, but it's an uncommon occurrence.

There's probably nothing stopping them from a technical standpoint, a second board is technically feasible, it's a matter of whether they think it's worth making that second board in the first place.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
With the impending full retinafication of the iMac, I suppose Apple sees the high-power (4 core) mini user as a progressively smaller and less compelling market.

I think that Apple reckons that the 4k and 5k screens are enough of a draw to entice people who otherwise may not have considered a Mac with a display or may not have wanted to spend the extra money. It's definitely way easier now to tell aspiring power users to "just get the iMac" than it used to be.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 15, 2016

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Mac Minis weren't ever considered anything but a cash cow and a 'gateway drug' for PC users to dip their toe in Mac waters; people wind up getting it as a media center or home server because of its size. Apple likely devotes as little R&D as possible to the Mini.

AppleTV is on the threshold of yanking away the media center part, though, which muddies the future of the Mini.

Apple will never want to give the Mini anything that would make someone prefer it over an iMac or laptop other than the size IMHO.

If Apple discontinued it, which IMHO is very likely, they'd handle it just like every other EOL product they've had; one day it will no longer be on the Store, third party suppliers will see their inventories dry up, and it'll never be mentioned again, with the Retina MacBook being the sole exception to that rule.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

I know the current lowest tier Mac Mini is pretty lackluster in terms of performance, but how would one handle serving as a file/backup/caching server with the occasional videos played at 1080P on a TV? The video playback will be the most demanding use.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

It'd be just fine, but there are PCs you can buy in the $200 range that will do it fine, too. I mean I used a 2009 Mac Mini with a spinning platter drive to do iOS development in 2014, it wasn't great but it worked.

There are these little PCs on a stick you can buy that run Windows, cost like $150, connect directly into an HDMI port, have hardware accelerated decoding, etc. Apple has nothing in that price range.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pivo posted:

It'd be just fine, but there are PCs you can buy in the $200 range that will do it fine, too. I mean I used a 2009 Mac Mini with a spinning platter drive to do iOS development in 2014, it wasn't great but it worked.

There are these little PCs on a stick you can buy that run Windows, cost like $150, connect directly into an HDMI port, have hardware accelerated decoding, etc. Apple has nothing in that price range.

Hell, if you want to be as dirt cheap and DIY as possible, you can turn a Raspberry Pi into a solid HTPC. You can even put Windows on it now too.

There isn't much on the market these days that can't competently pipe 1080p video to a screen.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Hell, if you want to be as dirt cheap and DIY as possible, you can turn a Raspberry Pi into a solid HTPC.

Likely a more solid HTPC than any of Apple's offerings, to be honest. The HDMI stick PCs I'm talking about though have like, ac wireless and things like that. If I were looking to buy a general purpose computer that plugs into my TV but doesn't play games, that's what I would get, at this point in time anyway. Not sure OS X is really well suited to a TV anyway.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 16, 2016

smax
Nov 9, 2009

The computer won't actually be anywhere near a TV, it'll be living by the router in a rack hooked up to the TV via HDMI over ethernet.

At this stage I really don't know which route I'll go - to give some background I'm starting to piece together a fancy new network setup for my parents' new house that they're building 200 miles away. I want something that plays nice with the rest of their Apple products, and that I can remote in to at any time to make sure things are working properly, particularly to make sure their stuff is getting backed up automatically. I know OSX Server takes care of a lot of the stuff I want to implement and I'm familiar with it, so it was my first thought.

We'll see. My mom will probably see the total for my ideal setup and ask me to pare it down. The computer will be the first to go, probably.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

You could always set up VNC not accessible to the world, connect to VNC over a VPN. If you REALLY need to take control over a box. OS X Server is overkill IMO. I guess the question becomes where do they plan to get their video content? I doubt they're downloading mkvs off Usenet, so what, do they use Netflix? Or do they buy stuff off iTunes? Apple TV is a decent enough solution for the "Apple people want Apple stuff on their TV", you can offload the NAS duties to something else. Still not sure a Mini is what you want, but hell, if you don't know what you want either... ;-)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pivo posted:

Apple TV is a decent enough solution for the "Apple people want Apple stuff on their TV", you can offload the NAS duties to something else.

You can offload NAS duties to the Apple TV. Plex, VLC, and a bunch of other established 'networked media' players already have apps on the platform.

You could get your parents a Mac Mini specifically for the living room- or you could get your parents an Apple TV that could handle all of their media streaming/playback needs and also serve as a wireless display for the Macs and other Apple products that they already own. Frankly, I think the Mini's totally superfluous in this scenario but that's just me.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

You can offload NAS duties to the Apple TV. Plex, VLC, and a bunch of other established 'networked media' players already have apps on the platform.

I mean NAS duties as in literal NAS duties. Like, he wants a server to do file storage and backup. Not just connecting to a NAS.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

IuniusBrutus posted:

I have a 2015 13" MBP with 8gb of ram and an i5. How boned am I going to be now that I am starting CS classes? I'm trying to decide if I should sell it before the Skylake models drop and resale value starts to tank, or if the 8gb of RAM won't kill me before it's time to upgrade anyways.

Your MBP is the same configuration we give out to developers as the standard laptop at work. We have a few folks that use a 15" but its because they do design work or do some intense tasks that need the extra CPU and RAM.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

You could get your parents a Mac Mini specifically for the living room- or you could get your parents an Apple TV that could handle all of their media streaming/playback needs and also serve as a wireless display for the Macs and other Apple products that they already own. Frankly, I think the Mini's totally superfluous in this scenario but that's just me.

I highly doubt they're going to actually use streaming or anything like that. What I do need is something that is always on to act as a file server and to make sure they have backups. Is Apple support for backing up Macs to a Windows share even a thing? I think I remember seeing workarounds, but would you be able to set that up in a way that would be reliable?

If the computer is going to be used to put something up on screen, I'll probably be in control remotely. I'm imagining the main use would be me uploading a video file or photos to the server, calling them up to tell them to go turn on the TV, and showing them things from 200 miles away.

numtini
Feb 7, 2010
I think that's trying to fit a round Apple Mini into a square shaped hole. If you want a NAS, get a NAS.

We have a $139 WD Mycloud. 2TB of storage split between a time machine partition for backup and a second one for audio/video streaming (it has a built in DLNA server). We use a Roku as a client because Vizio's DLNA doesn't like some mp4s. The NAS offers remote access, so you could download stuff at your location and upload to their server through a web interface. Synology is even more full featured, but a little more expensive.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

IuniusBrutus posted:

I have a 2015 13" MBP with 8gb of ram and an i5. How boned am I going to be now that I am starting CS classes? I'm trying to decide if I should sell it before the Skylake models drop and resale value starts to tank, or if the 8gb of RAM won't kill me before it's time to upgrade anyways.

I believe that's the exact model that the department of engineering at my alma matter requires freshman engineering students to get.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

smax posted:

I know the current lowest tier Mac Mini is pretty lackluster in terms of performance, but how would one handle serving as a file/backup/caching server with the occasional videos played at 1080P on a TV? The video playback will be the most demanding use.

I have a 2011 Mac mini doing this job. Video transcoding is typically the most demanding thing, but you always have the option to pre-convert everything into MP4 format, so you don't need to transcode-on-demand.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

IuniusBrutus posted:

compiling a 2 line hello world application and running the java virtual machine isn't going to choke a 2015 dual core and 8gb of ram. also mac resale value isn't going to tank as much as smoothly slide down a gentle incline over the course of a few years. keep it and enjoy it - it's a lovely machine and basically part of the default CS student starter pack along with like a blue hoodie and those gross wire frame eyeglasses

smax posted:

The computer won't actually be anywhere near a TV, it'll be living by the router in a rack hooked up to the TV via HDMI over ethernet.

At this stage I really don't know which route I'll go - to give some background I'm starting to piece together a fancy new network setup for my parents' new house that they're building 200 miles away. I want something that plays nice with the rest of their Apple products, and that I can remote in to at any time to make sure things are working properly, particularly to make sure their stuff is getting backed up automatically. I know OSX Server takes care of a lot of the stuff I want to implement and I'm familiar with it, so it was my first thought.

We'll see. My mom will probably see the total for my ideal setup and ask me to pare it down. The computer will be the first to go, probably.

there's this strange compulsion among the mac community to try and shoehorn them into backend type tasks that don't really suit them. maybe it's a residual collective grief over the death of xserve or something. at any rate you're really better off buying a NAS unit or like an HP microserver for a fifth of the price and forgoing the hdmi over ethernet thing, just using an apple tv instead. more polished functional and cheaper experience overall

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 16, 2016

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Bob Morales posted:

No they aren't.

Weird.

Anyway, Apple needs to update their MacBook lineup. I try to keep my work stuff separate from my personal life but I only have one laptop. Not to mention, I want to keep in sync with the Apple ecosystem.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Just buy, keep your poo poo in nice shape, and resell it. Incremental upgrades every cycle are a couple hundred, at most.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind
What's the ETA on the new MacBooks anyway? Finally will have the scratch in March to replace an aluminum-body MacBook that's on its last legs, but I'm guessing I should try to stick it out for the new Skylake stuff?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Argali posted:

What's the ETA on the new MacBooks anyway? Finally will have the scratch in March to replace an aluminum-body MacBook that's on its last legs, but I'm guessing I should try to stick it out for the new Skylake stuff?

MacBook or MacBook Pro?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Argali posted:

I'd guess a few months at most.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

MacBook or MacBook Pro?

Pro.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Argali posted:

New stuff is typically released at the big Apple conferences. WWDC is typically held in June-July.

That's a while and I wonder if Intel will even have Kaby Lake by then too.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Updates are coming - http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Retina_MacBook_Pro

If it's just a refresh there won't be much press about it

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Generic Monk posted:

it's a lovely machine and basically part of the default CS student starter pack along with like a blue hoodie and those gross wire frame eyeglasses

You're forgetting a crucial staple: a pure Android phone with Reddit burned into the display.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

New stuff is typically released at the big Apple conferences. WWDC is typically held in June-July.

That's a while and I wonder if Intel will even have Kaby Lake by then too.

Yeah, that's weird timing for me. Probably won't be able to wait that long to replace my dinosaur.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Updates are coming - http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Retina_MacBook_Pro

If it's just a refresh there won't be much press about it

It's going to be complete overhaul.

The combination of MicroUSB, MiniUSB and other propriety connectors wasn't only bad for consumers but also manufactures. It's pain to have to produce so many dongles and USB-C is specifically designed with a big collaboration between the big three (Google, Apple, Microsoft) alleviate this but it's also a replacement for even video.

We'll see the elimination of MagSafe/Lighting Connectors and USB-C used for everything.

What's odd is having the Macbook Air and new Macbook. It seems likely these two products line will somehow merge and you'll still have a large Macbook Pro with additional ports and a dGPU. With WWDC in June-July I think this may be the expected launch of Intel's Kaby Lake and I'm sure Apple wouldn't mind having USB 3.1 on-board instead of a separate chip either.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

That doesn't make any sense at all.

Where exactly would this hypothetical retina Air exist in the lineup? Assuming you take the same basic package and update it, you end up with a computer that has more ports than New MacBook, and presumably a larger display (and maybe even more powerful guts), but it won't be quite as thin/light. On the other end, it's juuust shy of rMBP dimensions, but without the power.

Right now, the Air is priced well below the other notebooks and serves as a solid entry point for buyers looking to spend less than $1k. Do you keep the price the same, or raise it to reflect the increased cost of these new components (not to mention development and manufacturing)? Whichever choice you make, how do you make sure you aren't completely screwing the other two notebook lines, which both currently start at around $1,100-1,200?

Apple isn't about to touch the Air when they've just added a thinner, lighter, retina-equipped computer to the lineup that they arguably sank a ton of R&D into. It's much likelier that 2016 New MacBook gets a $100 price cut and a power bump (and maybe a keyboard redesign/second screen size variant if those rumors hold water).

If Apple follows the trend set by the Polycarb MacBook-->Air/MBP-->rMBP/iMac-->retina iMac transitions, then you can expect the Air to kick around for another few years until the MacBook can drop in cost and rise in performance enough to replace it.

They're just going to leave the Air alone and merely throw in Skylake?

That doesn't makes sense for two reasons the first being nearly every Apple product now sporting a 4k display right out of the box. Second, not that Apple has cared what's going on in the PC World CES has shown us that every PC Laptop display is going to be starting with a 4k display.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
1.) Did you mean thunderbolt instead of lightning? I don't think lightning is going away anytime soon.

2.) Only the iMacs have a 4k display.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think USB-C is a huge step back from the Magsafe.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I don't. Well, it might be a step back from the original Magsafe, but whatever is on my 15-inch rmbp (Magsafe 2, or whatever?) is loving INFURIATING. I shouldn't have to spend twenty bucks on a little piece of metal just to prevent my laptop from unplugging itself every time I put it on my laptop. My older 11-inch Air was wonderful and I desperately wish they'd never switched.

I'm actually sort of pro the USB-C switch (if it even comes to the bigger notebooks, which I'm not sold it will) because it means we could get cheaper 3rd party external batteries.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
If they push USB-C for charging I'd hope they'd come up with a magsafe breakout cable

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Whatever Magsafe is on my 2012 Macbook Air has worked flawlessly. Do you just throw the powerbrick in your bag? I carefully wrap mine every time and treat it like something that costs over $100.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Tab8715 posted:

It's going to be complete overhaul.

The combination of MicroUSB, MiniUSB and other propriety connectors wasn't only bad for consumers but also manufactures. It's pain to have to produce so many dongles and USB-C is specifically designed with a big collaboration between the big three (Google, Apple, Microsoft) alleviate this but it's also a replacement for even video.

We'll see the elimination of MagSafe/Lighting Connectors and USB-C used for everything.

What's odd is having the Macbook Air and new Macbook. It seems likely these two products line will somehow merge and you'll still have a large Macbook Pro with additional ports and a dGPU. With WWDC in June-July I think this may be the expected launch of Intel's Kaby Lake and I'm sure Apple wouldn't mind having USB 3.1 on-board instead of a separate chip either.

the macbook air is probably going to get slowly phased out and become a legacy product a la the old macbook pro, with the rmbp continuing on its current tragectory most likely.

lightning isn't going anywhere; it's smaller than USB-C and apple isn't going to make people move to a different plug for their iphone peripherals unless they absolutely need to. it's essentially inviting the press to dogpile them for little gain. also they released new peripherals with lightning connections really recently.

if kaby lake debuts near wwdc I'll be incredibly surprised considering it won't even have been a year since skylake started shipping in volume, and it's meant to be a stopgap until cannonlake which (judging by the broadwell delay and their recalibrating of the schedule) is going to be a looooong while off. i just don't see them blowing their wad that early.

Tab8715 posted:

They're just going to leave the Air alone and merely throw in Skylake?

That doesn't makes sense for two reasons the first being nearly every Apple product now sporting a 4k display right out of the box. Second, not that Apple has cared what's going on in the PC World CES has shown us that every PC Laptop display is going to be starting with a 4k display.

the segment in their product line taken up by the air is now being filled by the new macbook, which given a few revisions will more or less completely take over duties as the lower end model relative to the mbp. the airs will stick around for a good few years as the value oriented models and they might even keep getting internals updates, but I doubt they're going to get a redesign or anything like that. because of their popularity they'll probably be in a similar situation to the ipad 2 and old macbook pro; just slowly floating out to sea until they're no longer viable.

also only the imacs have 4k+ displays, and for good reason. apple thankfully seems to have settled on PPI counts which make the pixels invisible without the kind of unhinged fuckery that causes other manufacturers to put a 4k screen in a 13" laptop with integrated graphics or a loving smartphone. there's little noticeable visual benefit and it compromises UI smoothness and battery life, all so they can increment a number on the box

only the imacs have 4k+ displays.

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 18, 2016

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

mediaphage posted:

1.) Did you mean thunderbolt instead of lightning? I don't think lightning is going away anytime soon.

2.) Only the iMacs have a 4k display.

1. Yes

2. Blurp. Should have specified Retina although with new PC Laptops starting to bring out 4k Standard especially in the higher-end models it only makes sense to merge the Air and Macbook lines.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Generic Monk posted:

the macbook air is probably going to get slowly phased out and become a legacy product a la the old macbook pro, with the rmbp continuing on its current tragectory most likely.

lightning isn't going anywhere; it's smaller than USB-C and apple isn't going to make people move to a different plug for their iphone peripherals unless they absolutely need to. it's essentially inviting the press to dogpile them for little gain. also they released new peripherals with lightning connections really recently.

USB-C and The lighting connector are roughly the same size.

What peripherals have Apple release that have lighting connectors? Sure, new iPhones/iPads have come out with them but with USB-C doing nearly everything it just doesn't make sense to have it.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Generic Monk posted:

the segment in their product line taken up by the air is now being filled by the new macbook, which given a few revisions will more or less completely take over duties as the lower end model relative to the mbp. the airs will stick around for a good few years as the value oriented models and they might even keep getting internals updates, but I doubt they're going to get a redesign or anything like that. because of their popularity they'll probably be in a similar situation to the ipad 2 and old macbook pro; just slowly floating out to sea until they're no longer viable.

I know Apple doesn't give much of a poo poo about business but the new Macbook just doesn't cut it for most folks where I work. It's just a little too slow, and the screen size a little too small. The Airs on the other hand are amazing in price, size, performance, and reliability. We buy those fuckers in bulk and we've never seen one break outside of a water spill or fall damage. For our business the Air gets a huge thumbs up for every position outside of designers and developers.

I don't doubt you that the Air will go away but I do hope that a slightly larger and faster Macbook will replace it. I also kind of hope that the 13" MBP gets a configuration that is a little more.. pro. I know that it's cramped in there as it is but the rift between the 13" and 15" in performance is getting fairly large. It's possible to really hop up a 13" with a custom configuration but at that point you're looking at spending the same as the 15" for something that is still slower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Tab8715 posted:

What peripherals have Apple release that have lighting connectors?
Their new wireless mouse?
The new Apple TV remote?

Maybe. I think.