Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GorgeOnMySyphilis
Mar 3, 2012

ScreamingLlama posted:

Why is Turnbull constantly being portrayed wearing a tin can top hat? Am I missing something here?

It's a reference to Turnball's half-assed NBN solution in combination with being one of the wealthiest individuals in Parliament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?
As in, string between two tin cans for communication.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
The Department of Immigration is spending more than $1.3 million on medals for its staff, outspending the Department of Defence and prompting new concerns about the militarisation of the portfolio.

Government tender documents show the department has signed a contract worth $1,320,000 over three years with Melbourne-based company Cash's Awards and Promotion Solutions for medals.

The $440,000 a year contract was signed after an open tender process but appears more expensive than many of the comparable contracts available on the AusTender website.

Illustration: Matt Golding
For example, the department's previous six-month medal contract – with the Royal Australian Mint – cost just $48,000.

Immigration appears to be spending more than the Department of Defence, which spent about $300,000 on medals, spread over eight contracts, in 2015.

However, the quasi-independent Defence Materiel Organisation also awarded two major contracts for medals – worth about half a million dollars – shortly before it was absorbed back into the department six months ago.

The Office of the Official Secretary to the Governor General is the government body that typically spends the most on medals and awards – about $2.2 million in 2015 – but that is not surprising given it is responsible for the Australian Honours and Awards system.

The Australian Federal Police appears to have spent only $23,000 in 2015, while the Department of Industry, Innovation and science spent $136,000.

Labor's waste watch spokesman Pat Conroy said immigration's bill was part of the "quest to militarise" the portfolio.

"The problem is that not only are these medals costly but they demonstrate the government's intention to create a military style and culture within the Australian Border Force," he said.

"When you put this in the context of the Operation Fortitude fiasco we start to see a picture emerge of the way this department is being led."

The cost of the medals comes on top of the millions of dollars spent on the rebranding related to the creation of Australian Border Force, the department's paramilitary frontline agency.

But the department said the medals did not relate to the rebranding.

It said its awards "framework" was established before the creation of ABF and is comparable to other Commonwealth agencies.

"It aims to build and recognise a robust culture of leadership, integrity, excellence, innovation, diversity and inclusiveness; and a culture that recognises commitment and achievement," a spokesperson said.

Internal departmental awards are awarded across eight categories: Bravery, Conspicuous Conduct, Leadership, Excellence, Innovation, Work Health and Safety, Diversity, and Operations.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Well, torture of refugees deserves a medal doesn't it. Remember, these clowns have access to our metadata presumably so we don't interrupt that torture.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
The medal of innovation for implementing new methods of torturing innocent people in concentration camps.

The medal of excellence in leaving refugees to die at sea.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

Mad Katter posted:

The medal of excellence in leaving refugees to die at sea.

Actually that's the medal of bravery. :v:

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

gay picnic defence posted:

The Department of Immigration is spending more than $1.3 million on medals for its staff, outspending the Department of Defence and prompting new concerns about the militarisation of the portfolio.

BUDGET EMERGENCY

CUTS CUTS CUTS

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

gay picnic defence posted:

Government tender documents show the department has signed a contract worth $1,320,000 over three years with Melbourne-based company Cash's Awards and Promotion Solutions for medals.

The $440,000 a year contract was signed after an open tender process but appears more expensive than many of the comparable contracts available on the AusTender website.

For example, the department's previous six-month medal contract – with the Royal Australian Mint – cost just $48,000.

Immigration appears to be spending more than the Department of Defence, which spent about $300,000 on medals, spread over eight contracts, in 2015.

However, the quasi-independent Defence Materiel Organisation also awarded two major contracts for medals – worth about half a million dollars – shortly before it was absorbed back into the department six months ago.

The Office of the Official Secretary to the Governor General is the government body that typically spends the most on medals and awards – about $2.2 million in 2015 – but that is not surprising given it is responsible for the Australian Honours and Awards system.

The Australian Federal Police appears to have spent only $23,000 in 2015, while the Department of Industry, Innovation and science spent $136,000.

Labor's waste watch spokesman Pat Conroy said immigration's bill was part of the "quest to militarise" the portfolio.

"The problem is that not only are these medals costly but they demonstrate the government's intention to create a military style and culture within the Australian Border Force," he said.

"When you put this in the context of the Operation Fortitude fiasco we start to see a picture emerge of the way this department is being led."

The cost of the medals comes on top of the millions of dollars spent on the rebranding related to the creation of Australian Border Force, the department's paramilitary frontline agency.

But the department said the medals did not relate to the rebranding.

It said its awards "framework" was established before the creation of ABF and is comparable to other Commonwealth agencies.

"It aims to build and recognise a robust culture of leadership, integrity, excellence, innovation, diversity and inclusiveness; and a culture that recognises commitment and achievement," a spokesperson said.

Internal departmental awards are awarded across eight categories: Bravery, Conspicuous Conduct, Leadership, Excellence, Innovation, Work Health and Safety, Diversity, and Operations.

nice

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Basically the more militaristic and gung-ho bits of Customs have been taking over the Immigration department.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2016/01/13/the-university-of-wollongong-issues-a-phd-in-antivaccine-pseudoscience/

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I wonder if Brian Martin will supervise my proposed thesis, "Are bongs and video games the best mix".

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

Dear god, that is just horrible. Shame on the University of Woollongong.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Jesus Christ, what a load of poo poo. I can't stop laughing. How the gently caress did that get through peer review

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.

You Am I posted:

Jesus Christ, what a load of poo poo. I can't stop laughing. How the gently caress did that get through peer review

Her adviser picked the reviewers.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Glad that UoW is keeping it's stellar reputation

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I feel sorry for anyone who goes to the Uni of Woolongong, because no-one can loving spell the name right

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

DAAS Kapitalist posted:

Her adviser picked the reviewers.

At least in Australia, that's normal.

When I read the headline I assumed it would some impenetrable work of critical theory, that, while perhaps not very interesting or useful, would still be proper academic work. It sounds like it's really just the rantings of a nut though.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Recoome posted:

I feel sorry for anyone who goes to the Uni of Woolongong, because no-one can loving spell the name right will respect their degree

Nickopops
Jan 8, 2006
You must be this funky to ride.

open24hours posted:

At least in Australia, that's normal.
I can't speak for other universities, but at UQ it's at least a bit more formal - the candidate and their advisor nominate several reviewers, and then higher-ups in your school and the graduate school actually choose. I mean really they pick 2 of your 3 or 4 nominees, but there's no way picking some crackpot would've gotten past the post-graduate coordinator in my institute, even if my supervisor and I were crazy. Of course I'm in a science research institute, not the humanities school, so, yeah.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It's supposed to be like that at all universities. How they were even able to find reviewers is beyond me.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Woolworths is closing down Masters.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Nickopops posted:

I can't speak for other universities, but at UQ it's at least a bit more formal - the candidate and their advisor nominate several reviewers, and then higher-ups in your school and the graduate school actually choose. I mean really they pick 2 of your 3 or 4 nominees, but there's no way picking some crackpot would've gotten past the post-graduate coordinator in my institute, even if my supervisor and I were crazy. Of course I'm in a science research institute, not the humanities school, so, yeah.

Another glorious day for ~humanities~

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Nickopops posted:

Recoome posted:

Another glorious day for ~humanities~

Yeah, this is clearly a humanities thing rather than a shittily run university thing :allears:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Every single person involved, up to and including the Vice Chancellor, should resign or be sacked. Once the University of Wollongong have made that level of commitment to intellectual rigour then they can work on changing the Uni rules so that the degree can be revoked/annulled and future instances made impossible.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Solemn Sloth posted:

Yeah, this is clearly a humanities thing rather than a shittily run university thing :allears:

Sorry about the fact that you think the reputation of humanities isn't somewhat damaged by the lovely practices of a particular university. I mean, the humanities dept. of every other university in Australia could be great but the poor actions of this one kind of drag it down a bit. It's not an attack on humanities but rather a failure of a particular university department to maintain the academic integrity and reputation of the humanities.

On a slightly related note, it's good that it's actually out of the Humanities, rather than say anything related to Health group (viz. medical research), because the whole thing can be ascribed to "this particular idea doesn't have support within health proper, rather finds ~very limited~ support in whatever fringe group that is.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Anidav posted:

Woolworths is closing down Masters.

Wow, that as a massive massive failure for them.

Near my place there is a Masters on one side of the road, and a Bunnings on the other, and the Bunnings was always busy compared to the Masters.

I wonder if they will have a fire sale

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Masters failed because it didn't have Sausage sizzles.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The reputation of the humanities isn't degraded by this any more than the reputation of medicine is degraded by the various quack doctors getting around.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 18, 2016

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Honestly I had to google humanities, I wasn't super sure what they even did

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Recoome posted:

Honestly I had to google humanities, I wasn't super sure what they even did

Hello, extremely ignorant moron here, with a verbose and obnoxious opinion on a subject I just googled,

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Oh well, I'm sure the students will be pleased with the fact that their hard-earned degrees are suddenly worth as much as they would be if they studied at a clown college.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Solemn Sloth posted:

I've worked at 4 AU unis now, and it's been my experience that the assessment of PhDs is largely up the faculties/schools. Central administration certainly doesn't make subject specific assessments of thesis content. All the central admin/exec seem to care about is that each PhD candidate is funded, and nothing that might generate bad publicity happens.

open24hours posted:

The reputation of the humanities isn't degraded by this any more than the reputation of medicine is degraded by the various quack doctors getting around.

Medicine tends to hound out the Wakefield type quacks, although I know a couple of GPs who do a sideline in homeopathy in the eastern suburbs of Adelaide, so a certain level is tolerated.

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 18, 2016

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Amethyst did you/do you study humanities?

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Speaking of pseudoscience:
http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/jan/18/chiropractic-board-australia-should-be-sacked-members-contentious-claims?CMP=soc_567

quote:

Chiropractic Board of Australia ‘should be sacked’ over members' contentious claims

The Chiropractic Board of Australia should be sacked because of its failure to take action against members making false and potentially dangerous health claims, an article in the Medical Journal of Australia argues.

Some chiropractors were falsely claiming to be able to treat people, including babies, for non-musculoskeletal diseases such as asthma, ear infections and pneumonia, the lead author of the paper, Dr Ken Harvey, said.

Others were promoting regular chiropractic care for pregnant women, claiming it could shorten labour and prevent caesarean sections, despite there being no good evidence that chiropractic treatment could do so.

Harvey, an adjunct associate professor with the department of preventive medicine at Monash University, wrote that he had submitted 10 complaints involving 38 chiropractors and 69 of their advertisements to the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (Ahpra) last year.

The advertisements were in breach of the Health Practitioner Regulation National Law Act of 2009, as well as the Chiropractic Board of Australia’s guidelines for advertising regulated health services, Harvey wrote.

“Of the 10 clinics involved, only one removed all the claims alleged to breach the national law. Another took down the website complained about, but the chiropractor concerned then made similar claims on another website. Of 69 claims alleged non-compliant with the national law, 43 [62%] currently remain non-compliant.”

Other websites non-compliant with national regulations had been found since then Harvey said, and five years had passed since the Chiropractic Board of Australia told its members to ensure their websites met legal requirements.

In 2013, it was reported that a baby’s neck had been broken by a chiropractor, and that the Chiropractic Board of Australia closed the case without reporting it to the public. (The findings of an Ahpra-commissioned report into the case, and how it became public, have been disputed.)

The board and Ahpra had failed to protect the public, Harvey told Guardian Australia.

“The chiropractic profession is split between those members who support evidence-based practice, and those who are involved in the more pseudoscientific and false aspects of the profession,” he said.

“The board being sacked and reconstituted with new blood committed to getting rid of the non evidence-based stuff, and to reforming the profession, is the only way forward.”

Guardian Australia has contacted Ahpra, which supports the Chiropractic Board of Australia, for comment.

The chief executive of the Consumers Health Forum, Leanne Wells, said the paper raised serious questions about the performance of the Australian Chiropratic Board and Ahpra.

It was time for health regulators to “end the farce surrounding chiropractors’ extravagant and spurious claims,” she said.

It is no laughing matter that the agencies purportedly established to protect consumers have shown, by their absence of effective action, little sign of putting patient interests first, the prime reason for their existence,” she said.

“The promotion of unproven therapies over several years begs the question about whether it is time for federal and state governments to intervene and reconstitute the regulatory oversight of chiropractors.”

The national president of Chiropractic Australia, Rod Bonello, said the Chiropractic Board of Australia did not handle advertising breaches, which were referred to and investigated by Ahpra.

He agreed with Harvey that Ahpra needed to do more to prevent false advertising about chiropractic treatments.

“When chiropractors depart unethical and irresponsible information, it is a disappointment, but it is in no way unique to chiropractors and is something that is a problem in all areas of health care,” Bonello said.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Conservative commentator Andrew Bolt's television show The Bolt Report has reportedly been axed by Channel Ten after more than four years on the network.

According to a report by The Australian, the Sunday morning political discussion program has not been renewed by the network in 2016, with speculation Bolt will join the Sky News line-up.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment...l#ixzz3xYNRiGn9
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Lid posted:

Conservative commentator Andrew Bolt's television show The Bolt Report has reportedly been axed by Channel Ten after more than four years on the network.

According to a report by The Australian, the Sunday morning political discussion program has not been renewed by the network in 2016, with speculation Bolt will join the Sky News line-up.

I guess the Gina money ran out

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Masters failed because it didn't have Sausage sizzles.

But masters near me always had them....

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
I don't want to suggest that those 9 people who started legal proceedings against Bolt were wrong to do so, but an unfortunate side effect of the 18C thing is that he got a lot of media attention for a brief period (the kind of attention that professional trolls like him rely on) and now he's well enough known that he could always get some kind of media gig. He played the martyr card and now it's really easy for him to exploit the emotions of the uneducated and the far right.

Also, I have literally never seen a Masters IRL.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Lid posted:

"Political correctness" and those drat leftist conheads win again!

we need more people like Andrew Bolt to tell the TRUTH!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He had a tv show?

• Locked thread