Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Kytrarewn posted:

I'm going to have to keep watching Divine Gate, because if I don't who will?
This is a dangerous path you have chosen to walk, friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

I think these are going to continue being the funniest bits of Dagashi Kashi, for me.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Count me in on 'felt sorry for the goblin. :gonk:

There's some possible (hopeful?) foreshadowing that a) the protagonists' party sucks right now, especially compared to the other guys', but it will even out as they all level up and they'll be badasses later and b) there's probably going to be some sort of rapprochement with the goblins as they wouldn't show how brutal the battle--straight up ambush and murder!--was otherwise.

I think the show has good potential, and I like the art, but there's a lot of panning across static backgrounds (what's the term for that?) and boring exposition. I worry that what I presume the main arc will be ("what's a 'game?'") isn't nearly as interesting as following this party of sympathetic clowns get their asses handed to them by chump enemies.

But until then I'll keep watching!

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Maybe it's a :siren:deconstruction:siren: of trapped in a game animes?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Maybe it's a :siren:deconstruction:siren: of trapped in a game animes?

I haven't seen any of the others :saddowns:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

me neither

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Don't watch Divine Gate, I'm already doing it. I've never seen something with such aggressively bad writing like this before. It hits every generic bit - tragic past for everyone, overpowered student council, mysterious plotter type named Loki, color-coded elemental powers, dumb mascot, teenagers who are bad at talking to each other.... I could go on! It's a trainwreck, and despite that it's got a gorgeous visual styling and practically no fanservice, so I've been happily sticking around to throw popcorn at the screen.

(I'm also watching ERASED, the Rakugo show, and Gundam IBO, so I couldn't be happier with how good the season is. This is the palate clenser.)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Don't watch Divine Gate, I'm already doing it. I've never seen something with such aggressively bad writing like this before. It hits every generic bit - tragic past for everyone, overpowered student council, mysterious plotter type named Loki, color-coded elemental powers, dumb mascot, teenagers who are bad at talking to each other.... I could go on! It's a trainwreck, and despite that it's got a gorgeous visual styling and practically no fanservice, so I've been happily sticking around to throw popcorn at the screen.

(I'm also watching ERASED, the Rakugo show, and Gundam IBO, so I couldn't be happier with how good the season is. This is the palate clenser.)

Watch Luck and Logic instead, if you want a bottom-of-the-barrel LN-style action-fantasy. It's not that pretty, but it's charming rather than annoying, with some genuinely good jokes.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
So Divine Gate and GATE are different things right?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

StandardVC10 posted:

Yes. No relation whatsoever to each other.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 18, 2016

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yes. No relation whatsoever to each other.

They do both share characters with Gate 7, though.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

StandardVC10 posted:

Divine Gate is based on a mobile game, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohVAXRElDCg
GATE is based on a web novel
Both are you things you interact with on the toilet

e:
This Muv-Luv Nazi-ternative thing is pretty loving awful.
1) Nazi fetish rising
2) JapanNazi Germany is full of nothing but monsters and young girls(and I guess 1 old guy and 1 teenage guy)
3) This chick is awful
4) This chick honestly wanted to defect TO East Germany. Does she hate the JewsBETAs that much?

Postal Parcel fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 18, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
This week's Dimension W was great, too. The conspiracy bits are really cool, and I'm really looking forward to the next episode. Also, robo-girl is super cute. :3:

This is turning out to be a really good season so far.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The second episode of Dagashi Kashi turned out to be incredibly boring for me. Weird, because I loved the first episode and there weren't any significant changes or anything. The only major difference was a lack of candydad.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
I'm not sure if Postal is trolling, making a meta commentary on the continuity of ideology between regime changes or just slept through their cold war history class.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Nine of Eight posted:

I'm not sure if Postal is trolling, making a meta commentary on the continuity of ideology between regime changes or just slept through their cold war history class.

Hmm, let me put it this way,
Whether wrong or not, this series gives me a sinking feeling that I'm supposed to side with these Eastern Germans, and feel that the west is bad. That whatever happened 20-40 odd years earlier(is it 1960s now or 80s? I can't remember) is okay because now they're the heroes. There's probably just this very odd sensation I'm getting from watching it that one of the lessons that the series is going to try to impose will be a...very bad one.

One question for someone who knows this series well, where did these robots come from? Did the East just make them on their own or something with their limited resources?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Nijiro Days is still cute and good and the composition of the main four reminds me a bit of Free! except there's no swimming or gay undertones.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Xelkelvos posted:

Nijiro Days is still cute and good and the composition of the main four reminds me a bit of Free! except there's no swimming or gay undertones.

...so it's nothing like Free!?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Postal Parcel posted:

Whether wrong or not, this series gives me a sinking feeling that I'm supposed to side with these Eastern Germans, and feel that the west is bad. That whatever happened 20-40 odd years earlier(is it 1960s now or 80s? I can't remember) is okay because now they're the heroes. There's probably just this very odd sensation I'm getting from watching it that one of the lessons that the series is going to try to impose will be a...very bad one.

One question for someone who knows this series well, where did these robots come from? Did the East just make them on their own or something with their limited resources?

uh you do know that west-germany had way more 'ex' nazis in its government right?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Darth Walrus posted:

Watch Luck and Logic instead, if you want a bottom-of-the-barrel LN-style action-fantasy. It's not that pretty, but it's charming rather than annoying, with some genuinely good jokes.

I tried it, but it was the wrong kind of generic for my tastes. :shrug: Also I can't say enough how much I like the visual style of Divine Gate, which is part of what keeps me coming back to it.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Postal Parcel posted:

I have no idea where you're getting this from. The East German government (or at least the Stasi) is consistently portrayed as a bunch of mustache-twirling villains. The East German mech pilots are heroes because they are fighting mindless bug-monsters that are attacking everybody, not just East Germany, and the other countries have mechs of their own that are also fighting the bug-monsters. World War II has nothing to do with it; the mech pilots are too young to have fought in World War II.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Silver2195 posted:

I have no idea where you're getting this from. The East German government (or at least the Stasi) is consistently portrayed as a bunch of mustache-twirling villains. The East German mech pilots are heroes because they are fighting mindless bug-monsters that are attacking everybody, not just East Germany, and the other countries have mechs of their own that are also fighting the bug-monsters. World War II has nothing to do with it; the mech pilots are too young to have fought in World War II.

Enh, if I understand correctly, the US is basically The Worst in Muv Luv because while everyone is building anti-alien mechs, they built mechs that are good at fighting other mechs.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Anyhow, we've got an actual thread for this but

Postal Parcel posted:

Silver already answered this partially, but having a show about people under a terrible regime and using that to explore human nature and dictatorial regimes is extremely interesting. If you're interested, I'd heavily reccomend you watch "The lives of others" which is a film about an actual Stasi agent and explores what East Germany was like pretty well. You could also watch "Goodbye Lenin" which is a pretty great comedy about an East German who's mother goes into a coma right before the fall of the berlin wall and wakes up years later trying to make her believe they are still living in "East Germany" in TYOL 1995 or whatever. Anyways, it's a lot of :goonsay: for saying that it's ok to make shows about the villains too, because they're just as human as us.

And if there's any universal constant of the Muv Luv universe, it's that every government worldwide (but especially the US) is full of jerks.

On the robot thing; the timeline divergence thing has science advancing somewhat faster, with moon bases using sort of exoskeleton powerloaders in the early 1950s being used to fight the BETA around first contact. When they arive on earth, Tanks are found to be not quite effective enough and aircraft get their poo poo ruined by the laser BETA, so aircraft manufacturers started working of Mechs instead, which is why the TSFs portrayed are all named after IRL Fighter Jets.
The main characters are all flying the Mig-21 Balalaika, while Katia used to fly a TSF named for the F4-Phantom II. :spergin::hf::eng101:

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Fangz posted:

Enh, if I understand correctly, the US is basically The Worst in Muv Luv because while everyone is building anti-alien mechs, they built mechs that are good at fighting other mechs.
I'm not watching the Muv-Luv anime thing, but no one ever praised Muv Luv's depiction of other cultures.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
I thought the US in Muv Luv were the bad guys because they were trigger happy with their "nukes" or whatever they were called.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

It's four guys and their hijinks and the four girls that they love/love them.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Xelkelvos posted:

It's four guys and their hijinks and the four girls that they love/love them.

boom boom boom posted:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Dimension W continues to totally be my jam. Loser owns

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Droyer posted:

Dimension W continues to totally be my jam. Loser owns

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

StandardVC10 posted:

boom boom boom's new Kirby avatar has increased the readability of his posts by 115%.

Idk there's still the content of the posts to deal with.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

Ok, thanks both of you. I guess I'm a bit trigger shy about anime and nazis considering the plethora of shows that seem to really want you to view them as nothing but handsome guys and kawaii anime girls.
And I suppose the rapid growth of technology is similar to mass effect and the discovery of the beacons. I guess my followup question would be, "Did the various groups of the world(let's say the East and the West) work independently on the mechas or was there cooperation between the various groups?"

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Postal Parcel posted:

Ok, thanks both of you. I guess I'm a bit trigger shy about anime and nazis considering the plethora of shows that seem to really want you to view them as nothing but handsome guys and kawaii anime girls.

Man, I don't know how I missed that entire plethora.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

quote:

Plethora

Gazebo!

Bulbous bouffant!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the only anime nazis i know are Zeon (the bad guys) and Stroheim. i suppose that guy takes issue with the latter

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

dogsicle posted:

the only anime nazis i know are Zeon (the bad guys) and Stroheim. i suppose that guy takes issue with the latter

OG Zeon is more ww2 japan imo

edit: whoops thought this was the chat thread

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Stroheim is weird because when he's first introduced, he straight up kills some helpless civilians...but a lot of fans (and maybe Araki himself?) seem to forget about this.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Postal Parcel posted:

And I suppose the rapid growth of technology is similar to mass effect and the discovery of the beacons. I guess my followup question would be, "Did the various groups of the world(let's say the East and the West) work independently on the mechas or was there cooperation between the various groups?"

According to backstory fluff somewhere the US shared a bunch of F-4s and blueprints with several other nations, including the Soviets who developed the Mig-21 from it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I want to read Postal Parcel's review of Hellsing Ultimate.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
More handwringing and discomfort than clawshrimpy reviewing Big Bang theory I'd imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nazi's were the best dressed, of course people like them.

• Locked thread